PDA

View Full Version : Does the Half Minotaur template grant the Giant type?

Matamane
2011-01-18, 12:03 PM
I see the template, but I am unsure of whether or not it changes the type of the creature to giant?

Simple question, does it change the base creature's type?

If not, is there an easier way to get the giant type for purposes of getting the primordial giant template?

HunterOfJello
2011-01-18, 12:04 PM
Considering that Minotaurs aren't Giants, I would guess No.

Easier way to get Giant type for primordial giant is the Half-Giant race from Savage Species. (LA +1)

Ernir
2011-01-18, 12:14 PM
Simple question, does it change the base creature's type?

Unless it says it changes the creature's type, it doesn't.

Easier way to get Giant type for primordial giant is the Half-Giant race from Savage Species. (LA +1)
Do you mean the Half-Ogre race? They are upgraded to LA +2 in Races of Destiny.

There are also Half-Giants in the Expanded Psionics Handbook, which have a LA of +1.

Cog
2011-01-18, 12:19 PM
The base creature's type does not change.
So, no. However:

Giant Blood (Ex): For all special abilities and effects, a half-ogre is considered a giant in addition to the base creature's type and subtype. Half-ogres can use magic items...
Is this sufficient? Half-Ogre (The template, and since it's not itself a race, therefore still valid despite a later Half-Ogre existing) is nearly as... 'potent' as Half-Minotaur.

The Glyphstone
2011-01-18, 12:19 PM
And when it specifically doesn't change the creature's type, it definitely doesn't.

The base creature's type does not change.

Matamane
2011-01-18, 12:30 PM
I must have missed that bit

AtomicKitKat
2011-01-18, 12:35 PM
Do you mean the Half-Ogre race? They are updowngraded to LA +2 in Races of Destiny.

FTFY. :smallbiggrin:

In all seriousness, they're actually pretty alright balance-wise. Just that WotC for some reason thinks that being good in melee while making a lousy caster=OMG MUST NERF NOW!