PDA

View Full Version : AvB - Shavet

planswalker
2011-01-18, 02:14 PM
Sir or dm only. Violators will be found guilty of breaking and entering.

On the other side is a dwarf sitting at a desk with a pile of papers strewn throughout. He glances up as you enter and says, "Oh, another one? Sign this and please don't spill any beer on my stuff. I'd have to get upset." He pushes a paper your direction.

The walls are bare stone, and behind him is a black door made of iron.

Sir
2011-01-18, 02:31 PM
Shavet quickly scans the paper as if he knew something about contracts, nodding once he finishes it. He scribbles a very curvy signature, and sips his beer again. "Don't worry, I'll try not too. Anything I should know about that door? Looks like the kind of door that would be trapped."

planswalker
2011-01-18, 02:36 PM
"I hope not. The last guy to walk through it didn't notice any. You need to go on further to find a job."

Sir
2011-01-18, 06:07 PM
"Sounds good, I'll get going then. Maybe get some flowers or something on it.." With that, he warily opens the door and steps through, ready to dodge any traps.

planswalker
2011-01-18, 06:13 PM
on the other side he finds no traps, but a halfling standing between two spiral staircases. "Employer or employee?" he asks.

Sir
2011-01-18, 06:42 PM
"Potential Employee my friend." He approaches the staircases, looking them over, waiting for directions.

planswalker
2011-01-18, 06:44 PM
"follow me." he takes you to the top of the left-hand staricase.

"So, what sort of job you looking for?" he asks.

Sir
2011-01-18, 06:55 PM
He follows the halfling up the stairs, careful not to spill anything. "Well, my skills are mostly manipulative magics and ranged crossbows, so something of a strong offensive and subtle variety. Not very good at defense, you know?"

planswalker
2011-01-18, 11:55 PM
"Indeed."

He opens the door. You find the second floor to have a large array of hallways, spaced evenly throughout the floor.

The halls are labeled by category, and the doors with names of employers. You find that one hall is holding rooms for "problem solving - discreet" and another "personal protection - quiet" that have sword symbols beneath their text.

Sir
2011-01-19, 02:20 AM
Shavet nods a thanks to the halfing, and walks among the hallways for a small while. After a moment of thought, he knocks on the door marked "problem solving - discreet", hoping whoever is inside is ready.

planswalker
2011-01-19, 12:59 PM
"problem solving - discreet" is a hallway with twelve doors along each side of it, nine of which have nameplates on them saying who is hiring.

Sir
2011-01-19, 06:14 PM
OOC: Ah, though that was a door, not a hall. Whoops. Too add some content to this part, is there going to be assassin/bodygaurd OOC threads? I don't know of another place to bring it up, with the lack of an OOC thread :smalltongue:.

Shavet peers into the hallway, and picks the closest door on the left with a sword symbol, knocking on it and saying in a light tone; "I'm looking for some work, anyone in there?"

planswalker
2011-01-19, 06:53 PM
The name plate on that door reads "Terent Barkot".

You get no response.

Sir
2011-01-20, 12:06 AM
Shavet considers knocking again, but realizes it might be futile. He does it anyway though, and if there is no answer he moves on to the next door.

planswalker
2011-01-20, 12:33 AM
Again no response. The next door is blank, no nameplate.

Sir
2011-01-20, 02:13 AM
He sighs, wondering for a moment if anyone is actually here, and keeps moving along and knocking till someone answers, caring little for the names. After all, most of them are probably made up anyway.

planswalker
2011-01-20, 06:05 AM
Oddly enough, noone answers your knocks.

Sir
2011-01-20, 05:12 PM
Shavet looked around, with a confused look. This was probably a test of some sort, but if it wasn't and he just walked in he might be killed. He thought "screw it", and tried the lock on Terent Barkot's door, hoping for the best.

planswalker
2011-01-21, 01:25 AM
The door is unlocked.

Sir
2011-01-21, 03:37 AM
With a quick prayer, he weaves some protective magic over himself, letting his eyes glow for a moment, and steps inside the room.

Casting a Charm Person Retributive Spell on himself, just in case anyone attacks him. Uses a level 2 slot, DC 16.

planswalker
2011-01-21, 09:09 AM
A businesslike female voice emanates from the ceiling. "Name, please?"

Sir
2011-01-21, 09:08 PM
"Shavet. Is anyone in here?"

planswalker
2011-01-21, 10:33 PM
"I am the facilitator for Mr Barkot. I am in the room beyond. The scrying stone in the ceiling allows me to hear and view the things in your current room, as well as communicate. If I find you to be worthy, I'll allow you on through where I will make my final judgment call. Should you pass, I will give you the information on where to find your new employer so that the two of you may negotiate a contract."

Sir
2011-01-22, 11:05 PM
He take another sip of beer, listening to the woman before speaking.

"Sounds fair, if overly complicated. What do you want to know? I have many abilities, including illusions, enchantments, and prominent crossbow skills."

planswalker
2011-01-23, 01:58 AM
"The purpose is to not allow armed individuals of unknown motives near the clients, and to be able to be able to recruit without having to require the clients be present. We have designed the system to make it nearly impossible for anyone to use our recruitment center for espionage or assassination. We seek to remain neutral and secure in these uncertain times."

"Anyways, on to testing your abilities. Can you answer a riddle for me?

Poor people have it,
Rich people want it,
It is holier than the gods,
It is more evil than the devils,
If you eat it, you will surely die.

Can you?" The voice sounds encouraging but challenging.

Sir
2011-01-23, 07:11 PM
"The purpose is to not allow armed individuals of unknown motives near the clients, and to be able to be able to recruit without having to require the clients be present. We have designed the system to make it nearly impossible for anyone to use our recruitment center for espionage or assassination. We seek to remain neutral and secure in these uncertain times."

"Anyways, on to testing your abilities. Can you answer a riddle for me?

Poor people have it,
Rich people want it,
It is holier than the gods,
It is more evil than the devils,
If you eat it, you will surely die.

Can you?" The voice sounds encouraging but challenging.

He stays silent for a moment, considering his options.

"Nothing, I think. A bad answer, but an answer none the less.

planswalker
2011-01-23, 07:30 PM
"Very well. Thank you for your time, but you are not acceptable for this position. Please try another client."

Sir
2011-01-23, 11:29 PM
"I see. Good luck with your search then, and thank you for your time." He walks out, and tries to open the next door, content in the knowledge of what he did wrong. After all, he had nothing to do that evening, and at the worst he could talk to the cheaper employers outside.

If it opens, he walks inside carefully as before.

planswalker
2011-01-23, 11:45 PM
The door opens. Inside, another female voice can be heard from the ceiling. "I am the facilitator for Joan Reborbormaromenchat. Why do you think you can qualify for this position?"

Sir
2011-01-24, 12:29 AM
"I get things done. The sign up on the wall said you were looking for quiet problem solvers, and I can do that. I may not be the most flashy or stylish, but I certainly think I am effective."

planswalker
2011-01-24, 12:57 AM
"Confident. I like that. Do you have any questions for me as to the nature of the problems she wishes solved?"

Sir
2011-01-24, 01:24 AM
"Beyond the specifics, how much is the pay, and does it involve a high chance of violence?"

planswalker
2011-01-24, 01:37 AM
"Pay will be negotiated with the client, and the specifics of that are unknown to me. Clients who book with us average about 1000 gold per job, plus any valuables on the victim. As for violence, not to your person if you do your job right. To the mark your employer sets, well, that's what you'd be paid for."

Sir
2011-01-24, 01:52 AM
"Seems fair to me, as I am quite adept at getting the job done without personal harm. I trust that the employer wouldn't waste money on me knowing that I would die, so I am done with my questions. Do you have any for me?"

planswalker
2011-01-24, 01:54 AM
"You said that you were effective. Care to elaborate how you cause your effect?"

Sir
2011-01-24, 02:37 AM
"At the cost of boring you, I have training to use a crossbow to good effect, and have also learned from a great Illusionist on the arts of his magic. In addition -and this is my focus- I have many mind altering cantrips, and in general use them to great effect. After all, would you rather have me run into the open and try to deal with the problem causer, or would you have the bodyguards help me do it and forget they did?

I should note that my mace is rarely used and I do not know how to wield it effectively, so I would perfer a job that I could work from a range. It is a weakness, yes, but I have backups to use incase they close the distance."

planswalker
2011-01-24, 02:45 AM
"You're not going to be hired to brawl. Your skillset sounds exactly like the sort of thing requested. Please continue forward."

A panel of the wall in front of you slides back and a room appears beyond.

Sir
2011-01-24, 02:53 AM
He walks into the next room, face showing a slight grin of success for a moment before he changes it to his almost omnipresent friendly smile.

planswalker
2011-01-24, 03:41 AM
On the other side is a woman behind a desk, the one whose voice you heard in the room beyond.

"There is one final test, one specifically requested by my client, albeit, a highly irregular one. She wishes to know if you can answer this question: 'When is your left hand?' She gave me a very specific answer that is acceptable to it, and I am required to turn you away if you do not give it." She appears apologetic.

Sir
2011-01-24, 03:37 PM
"When? I shall say.. the present. Looking at it any other way just complicates the issue, and I am not much of a time mage or a riddler, so 'here and now' is my answer."

planswalker
2011-01-24, 03:48 PM
She looks relieved. "Indeed, the answer sought is, 'I'm no riddler.' She seemed to think that someone who walks into a place seeking to solve problems needed to have the good sense to know what he's not being hired for."

She hands you a slip of paper with an address on it.

Sir
2011-01-25, 03:41 AM
"Thanks, for once simplicity worked." He takes the paper, and walks out back to the hallway, trying to think which district it leads too and any details about it.

Knowledge: Local to see if I know anything about where the address leads too (assuming it leads to a building outside of the inn, that is): [roll0]

planswalker
2011-01-25, 04:20 AM
the paper includes detailed directions for how to get to the house in midtown.

Sir
2011-01-25, 12:47 PM
He leaves the inn, realizes he has nothing better to pursue, and walks at a comfortable pace to the house, looking it over for any particularly obvious traps one he gets there.

planswalker
2011-01-25, 10:38 PM
Oddly enough, the merchant isn't a paranoid delusional seclusionists. She has not trapped her own home.

Sir
2011-01-26, 02:26 PM
Can't be too careful. He knocks on the door, waiting patiently to see if anyone is on the other side this time.

planswalker
2011-01-26, 02:47 PM
A tall half-orc answers. "Yes?" he asks.

Sir
2011-01-26, 03:03 PM
"I was sent here by your facilitator at the sad flint, about the possible job proposal. Is this the right home?"

planswalker
2011-01-26, 04:50 PM
The male half-orc says, "Show me the paper."

Sir
2011-01-26, 05:20 PM
He hands the man the paper happily, wiping any sort of smile off his face before he was smacked by the serious half orc before him.

planswalker
2011-01-26, 05:35 PM
He grunts. "Mistress is inside. First door on left."

Sir
2011-01-26, 06:37 PM
"Er, thanks.." He steps inside and quickly walks to the first door on the left and knocks on it. After all, a lack of manners might get him killed.

planswalker
2011-01-26, 06:48 PM
A feminine voice within says, "Come on in and state your business."

Sir
2011-01-26, 07:24 PM
He opens to door, sliding in and closing it behind him. "Shavet, and I was sent here by your facilitator at the sad flint about the job offer. I presume you are miss Reborbormaromenchat?" He stumbles through the word at first, but it comes out smoother towards the end.

planswalker
2011-01-26, 08:01 PM
The gnome lady sitting behind a desk smiles at you winsomely. "Indeed so. I take it you answered my riddle correctly. So then, tell me what the faciliator told you, so that I do not bore you with details you've already heard."

Sir
2011-01-26, 11:05 PM
"Well, I know that you want a problem causer taken care of, in a more violent way. Quietly. Also, I was told the pay would be 1000 gold pieces, along with any valuables I find, but that's about it."

planswalker
2011-01-26, 11:12 PM
"The pay is indeed 1000 gold. The target is a businessman who I suspect of harboring kobolds and helping to equip them to take out my people. Nothing provable, but the kobolds in this city are running rampant."

Sir
2011-01-27, 12:06 PM
"Kobolds hmm? Two questions: Where can I find this man, and do you know of any particular defenses he has that I should worry about?"

planswalker
2011-01-28, 12:39 AM
"He lives in the merchat's guildhouse for the guild of Starlight and Shadows. The only defenses of note are the regular guards posted in the guildhouse. It may be easier to take him out while he's out in the city selling his goods."

Sir
2011-01-29, 09:09 PM
"Hmm, seems good. Is there anything else that you require or that I should know, or shall I go at once?"

planswalker
2011-01-29, 11:09 PM
"Go at once. I'll have your pay for you when you come back."

Sir
2011-01-31, 12:47 PM
"Go at once. I'll have your pay for you when you come back."

"I will return later then. Goodbye." He slides out the door, past the half-orc and into the street, thinking and collecting his thoughts. He then walks through the streets, and predictably goes to the guildhouse and looks it over, seeing if it is open for business while trying to remember anything about the guild.

Knowledge Local on the Guild of Starlight and Shadows: [roll0]

Wait.. I just realized that I don't know his name. I could of sworn she told me.. That will make this more fun then.

planswalker
2011-01-31, 02:57 PM
The Guild of Starlight and Shadows emerged as a form of rebellion against the strict rules and structure of the more traditional mage guilds in Aldhaven. The GoSS has always included a large number of sorcerers, many of whom found the endless research of wizards to be dull torment. The Guild of Starlight and Shadows has always been a dynamic and energetic organization, willing to bend rules and push boundaries.

Members of the Guild of Starlight and Shadows usually want to know the details before casting a spell for someone, but they have no traditions requiring that they obtain this knowledge, and for an extra 25% fee, no questions are asked. In addition to straight-forward spellcasting services and item creation, many members of the GoSS work for dream parlors, cabarets that use exotic displays of illusion to entertain customers. The forces of the law are often suspicious of members of the GoSS, and a character who belongs to the GoSS must deal with this prejudice if he ever runs afoul of the law.

The guild is open to visitors, however, the living quarters are in the back, for members only.
The Town Crier

The most up to date news in the city!
<hr>
King Alben Rosen has announced the engagement of Isolde Rosen, his only child, to Archduke Wolfram Rocholl, the heir designate to Aldhaven.

<hr>
Rumors of King Alben's failing health seem to be gathering strength, though the royal family continues to deny them.

<hr>
A minor noble's home has continues to be under some sort of befuddling curse that seems resistant to normal means of removal. He's now offering a 20,000gp reward to the person or persons who can rid his home of the enchantment.

<hr>
A gnomish dignitary has recently in the city to begin negotiations of an alliance between the gnomish nation and the Kingdom of Aldhaven.

<hr>
Registration for the next semester at the Aldhaven Royal University of Scientific Esoterica begins immediately.

<hr>
Rumors have begun circulating that ancient ruins have been found buried just outside of the city walls. The farmer who owns the land is allowing people to pay a small fee to enter into them and keep whatever relics they can recover.