PDA

View Full Version : Post Character Limit

arguskos
2011-01-18, 02:37 PM
I checked around, and I know this has been discussed before, but I couldn't find it. What is the character limit for a single post, and does said limit include formatting (such as table code)?

Zherog
2011-01-18, 02:50 PM
It does include formatting.

I vaguely recall 50,000 characters being the limit. It's not hard to figure it out on your own, though. Create a block of text in a text editor; copy and paste it repeatedly onto the end of the text file, until you hit whatever character count you want to test. Copy and paste the whole block into a post and PREVIEW the post. If you have too many characters, the site will tell you.

Fable Wright
2011-01-18, 03:31 PM
I do remember it being a 50,000 character limit, including formatting text and hyperlinks.

EDIT: I just checked. It is 50,000, and it does include formatting and such.

Mercenary Pen
2011-01-18, 07:47 PM
I think I remember reading somewhere that the character limit for PM's is only half of that though...

Zeta Kai
2011-01-21, 09:28 PM
I think I remember reading somewhere that the character limit for PM's is only half of that though...

That is correct, much to my chagrin. I send a lot of material to my colleagues for review prior to posting, & I often have to chop it up or send it via email because we hit the 25K ceiling for PMs. I doubt that it will change, but I'd love for it be increased.