PDA

View Full Version : d6 Space/Fantasy/Adventure thoughts?

Ichneumon
2011-01-18, 05:06 PM
I read through the pdfs and it seems like a easy rule-light fun system to me. Does anyone have any real playing experience?

Gavinfoxx
2011-01-18, 05:11 PM
D6 is fun! I played it mostly in it's incarnation as Star Wars D6, but I have the books of the other stuff.

I'm still kinda sad that a few of their books didn't make it into Open D6...

Matthew
2011-01-18, 05:19 PM
Sure, plenty of D6 Star Wars experience. It is a lot of fun. The main downside is that when you are rolling fists full of d6s for every NPC action, combat can take a long time with more than half a dozen enemies. one way round that is to just use the average and "wild die" (allowing you to roll multiple actions at once), but you do get a slightly different spread when doing that. I wrote a short scenario with that in mind a few months back over on Dragonsfoot: [D6] Shoot Out at Rol-Dranos Space Port (http://www.dragonsfoot.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=41024).

randomhero00
2011-01-18, 05:21 PM
I like simple systems that use one set of dice on a bell curve. I have a little experience. I'm trying to remember tho...there are some problems with it. Sorry I can't remember what now though, I just realized :D But mostly I like it better than D20. So that's saying a lot. My favorite is D10 systems. So long as the creator understands statistics (since D10 can act as a percentile as well).

LibraryOgre
2011-01-18, 05:44 PM
I can speak to it, certainly. I've got a lot of experience with d6 Star Wars, and we recently started playing d6 Space.

d6 Space isn't precisely identical to d6 Star Wars; there were some evolutions of the rules, IMO to the betterment of the system. There's a straight up HP option, damage resistance is not long solely based on Strength (in d6 Star Wars, wookies were pretty close to invulnerable due to the way damage resistance worked. This has been fixed in d6 Space), and there's a lot more character specialization options. Overall, however, it is an excellent game, in both the Star Wars and Space versions, and the two are completely compatible much in the same way 1e AD&D and 2e AD&D are (i.e. "Pick which version of the rules you're using, and you can plug in the other's stat blocks").

I very much suggest the system.