PDA

View Full Version : [Exalted 2e] Demon Hunter Style

GrayWatch
2011-01-18, 06:56 PM
Demon Hunter Style
(Celestial Martial Art)
There are those who become heroes out of desire to do right by their loved ones.
There are those who become heroes due entirely to circumstances.
There are those who become heroes for no reason other than to seek glory.
Then, there are those who just like a good fight, and become heroes by accident.

The Demon Hunter Style, ancient though it is, has few formal trainers, and no set moves. Rather it is a shared collective of precepts held by barroom brawlers, and wandering monks alike.The Demon Hunter strikes down demons. Not natives of Malfeas alone, but all things which could be described as demonic. The foul and beastial, which drag others screaming into the dark.
They do this not out of a sense of rightness, or affronted justace, but rather because those horrible monsters are often the most satisfying opponents.
Each stylist is unique, but among them certain similarities arise.

Form Weapons & Armor: This style permits only light armor, but allows the Cestus, Fighting Gauntlet, Tiger Claws and any other weapon which is mounted or worn upon the fist, rather than wielded by it as a form weapon.

http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100723093525/disgaea/en/images/thumb/2/29/Adell_d2p.jpg/185px-Adell_d2p.jpg

Eagerly Into The Fray
Cost: 4m ; Mins:Martial Arts 1, Essence 1; Type: Reflexive
Keywords: Combo-Ok, Style (5)
Duration: Scene-long
Prerequisite Charms: -
The Demon Hunter is always spoiling for a good fight, so why do others find it so surprising when they rush into one? This charm may be activated within the presence of any foe whom the martial artist would consider a legitimate threat in one-on-one combat(here defined as any being possessing an Essence rating greater than or equal to the Martial Artists' own Essence rating.)
Once activated the martial artist may take Dash actions reflexively in the place of normal Move actions, provided the Martial Artist movesdirectly towards one of those challenging foes required to activate the charm in the first place. This charm may not be used to pursue fleeing opponents.The Demon Hunter has little interest in opponents that have already been vanquished. Notably Creatures of Darkness are never considered to be fleeing for the purposes of this charm.

Alone in Dark Tunnels
Cost:4m ; Mins:Martial Arts 2, Essence 1; Type: Reflexive
Keywords: Combo-Ok
Duration: (Martial Arts) Actions
Prerequisite Charms: -
The Demon Hunter's mission takes him to the darkest of places, where many would question if they would ever see the light again. The Hunter however relishes the challenge. He knows well what things crowd in the darkness, and the gloom neither dissuades him, nor hides their movements. While this charm is active the Demon Hunter may react to any number of attackers, never taking surprise attacks for being surrounded. Further he gains (Essence) automatic successes on the (Wits+Awareness) roll to spot Creatures of Darkness attacking from stealth.

Forceful Blows
Cost:- ; Mins:Martial Arts 2, Essence 2; Type: Permanent
Keywords:-
Duration: Permanent
Prerequisite Charms:Eagerly into the Fray, Alone in Dark Tunnels
After so long dedicated to his relentless battle, the Demon Hunter's fists have turned into powerful engines of conquest.
Whenever a target would suffer knockback from one of the Demon Hunter's mighty blows, they must also check against knockdown, the difficulty being increased by 2 (i.e. if the difficulty was originally 3, a then the victim would treat it as 5). Against Creatures of Darkness, the difficulty increase raises to 3.

Demon Hunter Form
Cost: 7m ; Mins: Martial Arts 3, Essence 3; Type: Simple
Keywords: Form-type, Obvious
Duration: Scene long
Prerequisite Charms:Tiger Charge
The Demon Hunter shifts subtly. The form he adopts not far different from his previous stance, less an adopted form, and more just finding his pace and rhythm in the chaos of battle. The Demon Hunter adds (Essence) to his Move and Dash ratings, and decreases the Speed of all unarmed attack by -1 to a minimum of Speed 3. For an additional 2m per attack paid in step 1 as a non-charm activation, the Demon Hunter may make his unarmed attacks do Aggravated damage to Creatures of Darkness

Tiger Charge
Cost: 4m; Mins: Martial Arts 3, Essence 3; Type: Supplemental
Keywords: Combo-Ok, Illusion, Obvious, Style(3)
Duration: Instant
Prerequisite Charms: Demon Hunter Form
Sooner or later all Demon Hunters learn one simple truth: The most effective strike comes from where no strike could possibly come from, at a time it should never appear, to where it could not possibly land. The martial artist may target any foe within twice her engagement range, seeming to explode into a swarm of after images which cross the intervening distance at ludicrous speeds. Of course this is all just a distraction, as the target will soon realize as the Demon Hunter's swift blow hammers into their back. Upon activating this charm the martial artist teleports behind her foe, leaving the gaggle of illusions to distract just long enough to make a single strike. The target's player rolls (Wits+Awareness) at a difficulty of the Demon Hunter's (Martial Arts). Failure results in the attack qualifying as an unexpected attack.
Regardless of success of the attack itself the confusion of the illusory copies provides the user with +2 DV bonus until his DV refreshes.

King of Beasts
Cost: 3m ; Mins: Martial Arts 4, Essence 3; Type: Supplemental
Keywords: Combo-Ok, Obvious
Duration: One tick
Prerequisite Charms:Demon Hunter Form
After hunting demons and the other foul things which lurk in the night, more mundane foes fail to impress. Best then to let them know by just how much they underwhelm the bored Hunter. In a visually startling maneuver, the Hunter's blows drive his hapless target into up into the air.
<Under Construction>

Vulcan Blaze
Cost:5m, 1wp (+1wp) ; Mins: Martial Arts 5, Essence 3; Type: Extra-Action
Keywords:Combo-Basic, Style(1)
Duration: Instant
Prerequisite Charm:Grandiose Blows
The Demon Hunter is fast. Upon activating this charm he may unleash a magical flurry of (Martial Arts) attacks at full dicepool with a DV penalty equal the greatest single penalty any of those attacks would accrue upon a single target. For an additional 1 willpower the Martial Artist may apply the final attack of the flurry to every being within (Martial Arts x 2) yards.

Big Bang
Cost:5m, +2m/per exception ; Mins: Martial Arts 5, Essence 3; Type: Simple
Keywords:Combo-Ok, Style(1)
Duration:
Prerequisite Charm: King of Beasts
The Demon Hunter strikes a single mighty blow, reverberating his target like a the skin of a drum. Paradoxically, for all the might with which the target is struck, it is utterly unharmed, not so much as a hair out of place. Instead, space itself warps about the target. The martial artist rolls accuracy normally, but calculates raw damage regardless of whether he successfuly struck the target or not. Every creature within (raw damage)yards save the martial artist himself, is powerfully ripped from their standing place and hurled towards the point of impact. Those affected treat this as a knockback effect with a difficulty of the Demon Hunter's (Strength+Martial Arts) to resist, which, if not resisted, automatically draws them to land anywhere within (Martial Arts x2) yards of the target. For an additional 2m per ally the Demon Hunter may exempt up to (Martial Arts) allies from this irresistable pull.

Just My Style Internalization
Cost:-; Mins: Martial Arts 5, Essence 4; Type: Permanent
Keywords:-
Duration: Permanent
Prerequisite Charm: King of Beasts
Settling at last into a combat form that is uniquely his, the Demon Hunter realizes the full potential of his art. The Demon Hunter proscribes himself to some code of conduct within battle, and so long as he holds to it all charms within this style marked with Style(#) may be may be activated as a non-charm activation, up to # times within the scene.
Players should work with their Storytellers to come up with a code of conduct that is meaningful, but not overly restrictive. (Examples include: Always attacking the biggest enemy on the field, Ignoring extras entirely while non-extra foes are present).
If the Demon Hunter violates his own code he may not benefit from this charm for the rest of the scene.

Primal Fury
2011-01-18, 08:05 PM
Alright, let's have a crack at this, shall we?

Eagerly Into The Fray
Far too close in function and power to Death Dealing Journey. That coupled with no flaw, only costing slightly more, and available at lower essence too? Not good.

Alone in Dark Tunnels
This should cost something. Completely free negation of surprise in such circumstances is bad.

Tiger Charge
This one is... okay. It's description makes me think it should be post form, but for what it does, I think it's alright.

Demon Hunter Form
This should have the Holy keyword (as should a few other charms). I'd also up the cost to 6... maybe 7 motes.

Grandiose Blows
No. Way too close in effectiveness to One Hand Fury (which is supposed to be a capstone).

King of Beasts
Willpower??? I've only ever seen (Essence) used to calculate multiple action charms. Change it, and you might have something here. And maybe bump the knockback down to (Strength+2).

Vulcan Blaze
I need to think on this one...

Big Bang
What is this supposed to do?

I don't like this one either.

This is not the most... balanced style I've ever seen. It could use some work. Besides, what's the theme behind this? What is it emulating? These honestly look like a bunch of Solar Hero expansion charms.

Xefas
2011-01-18, 08:29 PM
Form Weapons & Armor: This style permits only light armor, but allows the Cestus, Fighting Gauntlet, Tiger Claws and any other weapon which is mounted or worn upon the fist, rather than wielded by it as a form weapon.

I just want to know one thing. How hard would it be to make a clockwork prosthetic that mounts a grand goremaul onto your fist? :smalltongue:

Primal Fury
2011-01-18, 08:48 PM
I just want to know one thing. How hard would it be to make a clockwork prosthetic that mounts a grand goremaul onto your fist? :smalltongue:
It would in fact be incredibly easy. Sounds like a two... maybe three dot artifact.

GrayWatch
2011-01-18, 09:02 PM
Alright, let's have a crack at this, shall we?
Eagerly Into The Fray
Far too close in function and power to Death Dealing Journey. That coupled with no flaw, only costing slightly more, and available at lower essence too? Not good.

I recommend a re-read. Death Dealing Journey can be used at any time, for any reason, and applied in any way. This can only be used to approach a non-retreating enemy, whom you openly recognize it is dangerous to tangle with. While it can be used to chase down fleeing Creatures of Darkness, the very fact that they ARE fleeing means that the fight was already concluded.

Alone in Dark Tunnels
This should cost something. Completely free negation of surprise in such circumstances is bad.

The lack of cost is a typo. This has been corrected. Also note that it only negates surprise attacks from being surrounded, and gives a bonus to spot surprise attacks from Stealthed CoD's. Any charms granting surprise attacks are completely unaffected

Tiger Charge
This one is... okay. It's description makes me think it should be post form, but for what it does, I think it's alright.

Thank you

Demon Hunter Form
This should have the Holy keyword (as should a few other charms). I'd also up the cost to 6... maybe 7 motes.

I should have been more clear here. As in the case of a number of artifacts, it does Aggravated Damage to creatures of darkness, but it is not Holy, and it's use will similarly not trigger the Ebon Dragon Flaw of Invulnerability. The mote cost is a wise idea.

Grandiose Blows
No. Way too close in effectiveness to One Hand Fury (which is supposed to be a capstone).

What would you suggest as an alternative statline then?

King of Beasts
Willpower??? I've only ever seen (Essence) used to calculate multiple action charms. Change it, and you might have something here. And maybe bump the knockback down to (Strength+2).

The high knock-back I feel is necessary, since the intent of this charm is explicitly that both characters should be hundreds of yards in the air at a successful completion of this charm. While the number of blows can be reduced, in order to meet the intent of this charm the knock back would have to be further increased.

Vulcan Blaze
I need to think on this one...

Take your time...

Big Bang
What is this supposed to do?

Forced relocation of enemies into a relatively small area.

I don't like this one either.

Details? Mechanical reasons for this dislike?
Actually now that I check my notes this charm isn't complete, but I'm going to need a bit to sort out the correct wording for it.

Thanks for your input.

And a Goremaul mounted onto a Fist? 4 dot artifact very likely. Grand Goremaul is 3 dots and making it fist-size would remove many of it's flaws.

Primal Fury
2011-01-18, 09:20 PM
I recommend a re-read. Death Dealing Journey can be used at any time, for any reason, and applied in any way. This can only be used to approach a non-retreating enemy, whom you openly recognize it is dangerous to tangle with. While it can be used to chase down fleeing Creatures of Darkness, the very fact that they ARE fleeing means that the fight was already concluded.
Hrm... Maybe.

I should have been more clear here. As in the case of a number of artifacts, it does Aggravated Damage to creatures of darkness, but it is not Holy, and it's use will similarly not trigger the Ebon Dragon Flaw of Invulnerability. The mote cost is a wise idea.
If it's not Holy, then why does it do aggravated damage to CoDs?

What would you suggest as an alternative statline then?
Let's see... Lower the rate to (Essence/2)... and the damage to (Willpower/2)

The high knock-back I feel is necessary, since the intent of this charm is explicitly that both characters should be hundreds of yards in the air at a successful completion of this charm. While the number of blows can be reduced, in order to meet the intent of this charm the knock back would have to be further increased.
Falling damage is capped at terminal velocity (25 levels of bashing, piercing damage). So you'd only get the maximum benefit of one punch (assuming a 10 in Strength and Martial Arts).

Details? Mechanical reasons for this dislike?
It's hard to explain. It just doesn't sit right with me. The first charm is scene-long anyway, so I'm not sure why you added the Style keyword to it, unless there's a situation it which it would be deactivated. In truth... it looks a little weak. What about the rest of the charm?

GrayWatch
2011-01-19, 12:54 AM
Honestly I'd be tempted to just call it holy, but I am strongly against giving any style the ability to produce effects which can bypass Flaws of Invulnerability.
As is the excuse I'm using is that the damage is aggravated because the style itself has it's roots in fighting Creatures of Darkness, and thus is naturally more effacious against them, as opposed to being blessed to exploit things the UCS has named as his enemies.

Fairly acceptable stat-line.

Let's face it, this is Exalted. The falling damage is merely a bonus. The real purpose here is to be able to beat someone straight up until they quite literally are squashed between you and the roof of the sky.

This charm isn't quite weak, but it does keep in mind the brevity of Exalted battles, and if you look at some of the things it allows it can be quite deadly. Vulcan Blaze + Big Bang just off the top of my head, results in pummeling one guy for a few hits, drawing everyone else into range on the second to last hit, and then delivering a final blow which hits them all.
If you'd like me to power it up more I don't mind, but I'm not convinced it's necessary.

Primal Fury
2011-01-19, 09:46 AM
Honestly I'd be tempted to just call it holy, but I am strongly against giving any style the ability to produce effects which can bypass Flaws of Invulnerability.
But the Yozi's Imperfections are SUPPOSED to be that easy to bypass (well... the Ebon Dragon's is supposed to be anyway).

As is the excuse I'm using is that the damage is aggravated because the style itself has it's roots in fighting Creatures of Darkness, and thus is naturally more effacious against them, as opposed to being blessed to exploit things the UCS has named as his enemies.
Still feels weird to me. Even Golden Janissary Style gives out Holy charms like candy.

Let's face it, this is Exalted. The falling damage is merely a bonus. The real purpose here is to be able to beat someone straight up until they quite literally are squashed between you and the roof of the sky.
You're better off using native charms if you want to pull that off. :smalltongue:

Vulcan Blaze + Big Bang just off the top of my head, results in pummeling one guy for a few hits, drawing everyone else into range on the second to last hit, and then delivering a final blow which hits them all.
:smalleek: ...It seems I stand corrected.

Lix Lorn
2011-01-20, 06:07 AM
Just from my very minor knowledge... mostly proof-reading...

You never specify if it's Terrestrial or Celestial. Also, if you don't have to learn it, maybe put something in saying you don't need a tutor?

Tiger Charge
Is very cool, but making masses of illusions and attacking at impossible speed seems more than essence 2.

King of Beasts
Is awesome. xD

Big Bang
It says you can pay 2m to exempt a single ally, but says 2m/exception in cost. Can you exempt more than one?

Is pretty powerful, but... just doesn't feel spectacular, y'know? Capstones oughta be OMGWTF AWESOME.

Revlid
2011-01-20, 09:17 AM
I'll definitely have a look at this when I have a spare moment.

However, I can't recall having come across the Style keyword before. What does it do, and where can I find it?

Revlid
2011-01-20, 02:32 PM
Nevermind about the keyword, I read through. You should probably note the new Keyword at the top of the Style, even if only to specify that "Charms with this Style are more easily used after learning Just My Style Internalization."

Demon Hunter StyleI'd like to start off by saying that I enjoy the conceit of this Style - that is, converting Adell into a martial art. It could be said that he'd work just as well as a Solar Hero, but that's hardly constructive. On to the Charms!

Actually, wait - is this a TMA or a CMA? The first Charm suggests CMA, but I'm not sure.

Eagerly Into The FrayThe phrasing "would consider a legitimate threat" is far too vague. Consider instead allowing it against any opponent with an Essence and/or Martial Arts rating equal to or higher than the Demon Hunter's own.

The Creatures of Darkness bit suggests the Holy keyword, but that would bar actual demons from taking the Style, which is plainly contradictory to its roots in Adell, so I'd keep it off. Interesting that "Demon Hunter" refers both to a hunter of demons and a hunter who is a demon.

Not sure this should be Essence 1. Sure, most styles start there, but this is really more of an Essence 2 Charm.

Alone in Dark TunnelsSurely this should be Combo-OK? Otherwise seems fine, if a bit weak. Holy and Anti-Holy arguments apply as before.

Tiger ChargeThe proper term is "unexpected attack", but otherwise fine. Not sure why it's Combo-Basic, though. Most Supplemental stuff is Combo-OK.

Wait, surely this should have the Illusion keyword?

Demon Hunter FormThat -1 Speed is a killer. I'd suggest upping the cost on this one. Also, pretty much all MA Forms past TMA have the Obvious keyword, so I'd consider that.

Also - I'd note that the Agg-damage upgrade can only be applied to unarmed attacks.

Grandiose BlowsThis Charm is too powerful.

You say "cumulative", but I think you might mean "increased".

The Damage needs a + symbol in front of it, unless you intend for it to ignore the martial artist's Strength.

Piercing is far too good to hand out like this. Seriously, it's the main thing making this Charm overpowered.

I'd suggest applying another restriction to this method of attack. Perhaps if he attacks in this way, he can't make non-magical unexpected attacks, on account of his grandiose strikes? Or you could nerf the accuracy - I'm not sure why having grandiose fists makes you more accurate.

King of Beasts
This is seriously much, much, much too good. It's better than any Solar-level flurry currently out there, much less a CMA non-pinnacle.

Vulcan Blaze
Do you really need two Extra Action Charms in a single Style? That said, this one is closer to balanced than King of Beasts, but it's still too powerful. Go and take a look at your Corebook, and compare the Solar flurries to this one. As it stands, I would be fine with this Charm if the cost was increased by one point of Willpower.

Big Bang
Very cool. I like it.
How many exceptions can the martial artist make?
The duration should be instant.
I would probably have added a wp cost, but that's up to you.

Interesting.

GrayWatch
2011-01-20, 09:37 PM
Thanks for your comments. King of Beasts is now offline till I can figure out someway to get what I want out of it that isn't "Heaven Thunder Hammer, but UP" or the, I admit, entirely too long flurry (even if it would have routinely ended early due to the knock back probably being greater than unaugmented vertical jump.)

Revlid
2011-01-20, 10:50 PM
Thanks for your comments. King of Beasts is now offline till I can figure out someway to get what I want out of it that isn't "Heaven Thunder Hammer, but UP" or the, I admit, entirely too long flurry (even if it would have routinely ended early due to the knock back probably being greater than unaugmented vertical jump.)You've taken it down now, but the knockback (knockup really doesn't sound right) was (Strength+Martial Artsx2) or something, wasn't it?

So, assuming a character has Strength 5, Martial Arts 5, Athletics 5, Willpower 10. He can hit someone, send them 20 yards up, and then jump up 10 yards himself. Obviously, that's not far enough, so the flurry ends abruptly.

Of course, every splat in existence has a Charm that at least doubles the length of the character's jumps, in most cases a cheap scene-long. Hell, the Monkey Stone (a cheap Core hearthstone) will bump you up to the 20 yards you need to punch someone 12 times at a full dicepool before they suffer 120 dice of piercing bashing damage from falling 240 yards.