PDA

View Full Version : pshychadelic dragon

aart lover
2011-01-18, 07:35 PM
ok here's something i created purely for the sake of joking around( at least i hope so:smalleek:)

Psychedelic Dragons are less malicious and blood thirsty than their evil brethren, but still fierce creatures. They use the powers of psychadel to confuse their adversaries and render them in an awed state. Oddly enough, prolonged use of psychadel pigments their rock hard skin with bright colors all over the body, as opposed to the natural beige pigmentation at birth. Sometimes commissioned by the forces of good, they can even be friendly to those who don't openly offend them.

Young Psychedelic Dragon

HP: 215 AC: 23
Speed: 6 fly 8
XP: 800

Bite: 1d6 + 4
Claw 1d4 + 1
Tail Slash missing your attack roll forces an attack of opportunity with it's tail. 1d6 + 2
Breath Weapon: Psychedelic Aura A blast of bright aura is expelled from the dragon's mouth. being hit by it forces a Will Save, if failed, one will be dazed, amazed, and otherwise awestruck for 1d10 rounds.

Alignment: Any Languages: Common, Draconic

STR: 16
DEX: 19
CON: 18
INT: 15
WIS: 17
CHA: 14

Psychedelic Dragon Lore: a character knows the following with a successful Nature check:
DC 15: Psychedelic Dragons prefer to live in places with plenty of sun, and generally dislike extreme cold. They are naturally drawn to magic, and the use of it may very well attract one.
DC 20: A Psychedelic Dragon's breath weapon is a blast of brightly coloured aura.

Adult Psychadelic Dragon
HP: 555
AC: 30
XP: 2,739
speed: 7 fly 10
Bite: 1d8 + 5
Claw: 1d6 + 1
Tail Slash: missing your attack roll forces an attack of opportunity with it's tail. 1d8 + 4
Breath Weapon: Psychedelic Aura A blast of bright aura is expelled from the dragon's mouth. being hit by it forces a Will Save, if failed, one will be dazed, amazed, and otherwise awestruck for 1d10 rounds.

STR: 18
DEX: 21
CON: 20
INT: 16
WIS: 20
CHA: 17

Elder Psychedelic Dragon
HP:840
AC:39
XP:9,600

speed: 9 fly 10
Bite:1d10 + 5
Claw:1d8 + 4
Tail Slash: missing your attack roll forces an attack of opportunity with it's tail. 1d10 + 4
Breath Weapon: Psychedelic Weapon: A blast of bright aura is expelled from the dragon's mouth. being hit by it forces a Will Save, if failed, one will be dazed, amazed, and otherwise awestruck for 1d12 rounds.

STR: 21
DEX: 23
CON: 22
INT: 18
WIS: 23
CHA:19

Ancient Psychedelic Dragon
HP: 1, 173
AC: 45
XP: 43,000

speed: 10fly 11

Bite:2d8 + 7
Claw:1d10+ 7
Tail Slash: missing your attack roll forces an attack of opportunity with it's tail. 1d12 + 9
Breath Weapon: Psychedelic Weapon: A blast of bright aura is expelled from the dragon's mouth. being hit by it forces a Will Save, if failed, one will be dazed, amazed, and otherwise awestruck for 1d12 rounds.

STR: 25
DEX: 29
CON: 27
INT: 22
WIS: 30
CHA:24

Dusk Eclipse
2011-01-18, 07:44 PM
This should be in the Homebrew Design Forum (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=15)

Also I think you may have exaggerated the HP values.

absolmorph
2011-01-18, 08:40 PM
This should be in the Homebrew Design Forum (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=15)

Also I think you may have exaggerated the HP values.
Not really, actually. Ancient White Dragons have 1,145 HP and give 30,250 XP.
These guys aren't really a threat, despite their higher HP value, outside of running out of healing surges.

Dusk Eclipse
2011-01-18, 08:51 PM
According to the SRD on dragons a Great Wyrm White dragons has 522 and a Gold (IE the most powerful pre-epic dragon) has only 717 HP

Unless this is for 4e..which in that case I don't know.

But I still stand by my point this should be on the homebrew forum

aart lover
2011-01-18, 10:13 PM
According to the SRD on dragons a Great Wyrm White dragons has 522 and a Gold (IE the most powerful pre-epic dragon) has only 717 HP

Unless this is for 4e..which in that case I don't know.

But I still stand by my point this should be on the homebrew forum

it is sort of based on 4e stats, yeah. i only used that instead of 3.5e to be more current. i still believe 3.5 is king.

Dusk Eclipse
2011-01-18, 10:21 PM
Then I suggest you look at actual 3.5 monster stats, there is a really cool guide to make monsters somewhere in the homebrew forum; I am not sure if Fax Celestis or Vorpal Tribble made it. Also Zaydos (I believe) has a a thread with many homebrewed dragons, you should look into it.

It needs more polishing; I won't lie.

aart lover
2011-01-18, 11:03 PM
Then I suggest you look at actual 3.5 monster stats, there is a really cool guide to make monsters somewhere in the homebrew forum; I am not sure if Fax Celestis or Vorpal Tribble made it. Also Zaydos (I believe) has a a thread with many homebrewed dragons, you should look into it.

It needs more polishing; I won't lie.

ok, i'll take the tip. polished how, exactly?

Dusk Eclipse
2011-01-18, 11:16 PM
ok, i'll take the tip. polished how, exactly?

Well HP for one thing, cut down to be more in line with other dragons, and other monster generally; also making a proper stat block which includes feats, special abilities, skills, spell casting (if any) spell likes (if any) that kind of stuff. Creating monsters is in my opinion one of the most difficult things to do, specially in a systems as complex as D&D 3.5.

You already seem to have a good start, so keep up working.

Now this is all assuming you actually want to convert this idea to an actual monster so that someone can use it on their games.

So good luck.

aart lover
2011-01-19, 12:37 AM
Well HP for one thing, cut down to be more in line with other dragons, and other monster generally; also making a proper stat block which includes feats, special abilities, skills, spell casting (if any) spell likes (if any) that kind of stuff. Creating monsters is in my opinion one of the most difficult things to do, specially in a systems as complex as D&D 3.5.

You already seem to have a good start, so keep up working.

Now this is all assuming you actually want to convert this idea to an actual monster so that someone can use it on their games.

So good luck.

thank, you. that's the idea, yeah,:smallbiggrin:

satorian
2011-01-19, 03:46 AM
If you want it to be real, I'd tweak the breath weapon and give it some SLAs or spellcasting. I'd say the breath should be a cone of gas, will save or fascinated. Change the standard frightful presence to dazzling presence. Spellcasting as an illusionist of its HD. SLAs of (in ascending order based on age) Dancing Lights, Color Spray, Hypnotic Pattern, Rainbow Pattern, Confusion, Maze.

Also, if you want to do 3.5, use 3.5 stats. Lower HP. Movement in feet. Wing buffet. You get the picture.