PDA

View Full Version : Exalted General Exalted Discussion II: No Longer Mortal

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Lix Lorn
2011-02-03, 05:27 AM
He did. And he can split them off and sic them on enemies. Because what's the one thing a behemoth needs? The ability to field an army of exalts. No way that could be overpowered.

Though it's only half to a third the Terrestrial population of the Isle. They've got 20 or 30k DBs there (can't remember which).
...seriously. xD
Oh, Exalted... ♥♥♥♥♥

Drascin
2011-02-03, 05:32 AM
High dot Behemoths are nice for high soak, but that's not an option here.

Size mutations are extremely good, I agree. The fur/scales/tough skin series of mutations can add a little soak, but not all that much.

Since you have a Fair Folk helping you out, have you considered gossamer armor? Barding for your pet, so it's not useable by anyone else (which helps make GMs happy). Gossamer armor has 0 mobility and fatigue penalties, which is nice, and is easy for Fair Folk to make at perfect level (for an extra +3/+3 soak, since you can't improve fatigue and mobility). Given the effective weight and origin, you could describe it as a protective aura or some such rather than mundane armor.

Mutations that are often ignored are Derangements: "<Player Character> loves me and everything <he> does is for my own good." is, if not essential, at least useful when dealing with bus sized creatures.

Depending on the degree of Godzilla-dom, look at Dragon's Breath for an Abomination granting exactly what's in the name.

If you want to enable massive shenanigans, give it Essence Channeler and teach it TMA. Plus, that lets it fuel its own powers more easily.

Drifting towards more Fair Folk involvement, an Adjuration or two (created from the creature's Staff Grace, of course) can give a few nice extras:

- Knife Hand Dream gives +5 damage at Essence 3 (and Aggravated damage at higher essence)
- Opalescent Gossamer Raiment adds decent amounts of soak (grace and essence based, though)
- Armament of Flesh gives decent upgrades to natural weapons

This requires a few commited motes, but that's what Essence Channeler is for!

That's a lot of stuff again. Thanks! Though if these couple posts have been the "simple" ways, I'm kind of scared to think of the complicated ones :smalleek:.

Anyway, personally, I'm trying to keep future Fae involvement to a minimum, to save the ST headaches. Still, I might just ask her if she could read this stuff and say if any of this is kosher.

This seems awesome. Especially the possibility of (what looks like) a giant wolf performing martial arts.

You're more right than you know. The original inspiration for the monster is agile enough to literally do breakdance moves (http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100919063309/monsterhunter/images/f/f3/Jinouga-Breakdance.gif) :smalltongue:.

golentan
2011-02-03, 02:35 PM
Any advice on the most suicidal creature to summon with Thaumaturgy? I was going to go with a Storm Serpent but their essence is sadly just a smidge high for the limits of Beckon (species).

Reynard
2011-02-03, 02:41 PM
Any advice on the most suicidal creature to summon with Thaumaturgy? I was going to go with a Storm Serpent but their essence is sadly just a smidge high for the limits of Beckon (species).

Ice Weasels. They'll tear your goddamn limbs off, and look so very adorable while they do it.

Xefas
2011-02-03, 02:51 PM

http://i925.photobucket.com/albums/ad91/bluejanus/corgi.jpg

It may look like just your everyday corgi, but this is Exalted. It's probably a member of a genetically engineered super-race of First Age corgis with enlightened essence that shoot bone-shurikens and lightning that causes scurvy.

Kylarra
2011-02-03, 03:00 PM
Oddly enough, in my game, one of the characters has a familiar, a dog, who was kidnapped and is being experimented on right now...

Teln
2011-02-03, 04:49 PM

Art of Demon Summoning: Beckon Octavian.

meschlum
2011-02-03, 05:09 PM
That's a lot of stuff again. Thanks! Though if these couple posts have been the "simple" ways, I'm kind of scared to think of the complicated ones :smalleek:.

Anyway, personally, I'm trying to keep future Fae involvement to a minimum, to save the ST headaches. Still, I might just ask her if she could read this stuff and say if any of this is kosher.

Happy to help!

Part of the fun to the Fair Folk is that they work a lot like a toolbox - come up with an idea, and there is (almost always) a way to get Fair Folk to do it (more or less well, granted), so even if you don't use them per se, you have a notion of how much effort is involved (from NPCs) in getting what you want.

Raising newly dead Exalts is a bit harder post-errata (ludicrously rather than extremely), and I'm still working on time travel.

Teln
2011-02-03, 05:21 PM
Wait, how did you find a way to bring someone back from the dead?

Primal Fury
2011-02-04, 01:48 AM
The fetish soul of Gaia is obviously Luna, considering how much they shack up.

So... Gaia's a chronic masturbator?

Also, I think Gnosis is mentioned as one of her jouten rather than one of her souls.

Kris Strife
2011-02-04, 01:56 AM

There's a questionable joke about earthquakes somewhere in this. :smallwink:

golentan
2011-02-04, 02:34 AM
What, did the earth move for you too?

Rockphed
2011-02-04, 02:36 AM

Also, I think Gnosis is mentioned as one of her jouten rather than one of her souls.

Was it this thread that put forward the idea that Sol was The Ebon Dragon's fetich? Either way, I was going to suggest that Luna was Gaia's Fetich because if one god is a Primordial Fetich, then couldn't more be? Then again, how much disconnect can there be between a primordial and his souls? Also, if Sol was a demon, wouldn't he have been able to prance about doing what he wanted instead of having to kow-tow to any primordial who so much as glared at him?

Reynard
2011-02-04, 03:37 AM
Was it this thread that put forward the idea that Sol was The Ebon Dragon's fetich? Either way, I was going to suggest that Luna was Gaia's Fetich because if one god is a Primordial Fetich, then couldn't more be? Then again, how much disconnect can there be between a primordial and his souls? Also, if Sol was a demon, wouldn't he have been able to prance about doing what he wanted instead of having to kow-tow to any primordial who so much as glared at him?

Actually, I can't find any canon instances of Sol actually doing that. He's also the one who organized the first Usurpation, something which a God shouldn't have been able to do, given the safeguards the Primordials put in place when creating Gods.

That's evidence for Luna and the Maidens possibly being fetiches as well, due to their very very close involvement of the creation of the Exalts.

Also, it makes sense that the Primordials wouldn't leave 7 powerful Gods in charge of running the place. Not that their souls have a decent track record for reliability, but their egos probably couldn't resist it.

meschlum
2011-02-04, 03:41 AM
Wait, how did you find a way to bring someone back from the dead?

There are ways to give people lots of health levels. Lots. If you time it just right, you can restore them after they take a hit that drops them past their last Dying level. It's harder post-errata, true (rather than an Adjuration with lots of Ox Bodies in it, you now use a Bestial Transformation for massive size).

Imposition of Law may let you cure the Great Contagion, so that deals with most mundane diseases.

Behemoth Forging Meditation no longer works on Exalts. Otherwise (or for mortals), turn them into Fey Beasts via mutations that have no effect (large/small/large/small...), and Unshaped Sword Transformation lets you restore them after they've been destroyed.

With a little preparation time, use Outward Facing Bestial Transformation to grant people nearby (including Exalts) the Immortal Flesh mutation. Say it's because they're turned into starfish. It only lasts for Essence days, but still... Add in the Immortality mutation (turtle transformation) for temporary immunity to aging - even if you're an Exalt. It's preventive rather than reactive, but there you go.

Primal Fury
2011-02-04, 01:27 PM

I don't like the idea that god's can be Fetiches, or even souls of Primordials. It really makes no sense. More than anything it's the timeline. Gods explicitly did not exist before Creation was created, but the Primordials did, in all their glory (including the Devas of various circles).

vegetalss4
2011-02-04, 01:38 PM
There are ways to give people lots of health levels. Lots. If you time it just right, you can restore them after they take a hit that drops them past their last Dying level. It's harder post-errata, true (rather than an Adjuration with lots of Ox Bodies in it, you now use a Bestial Transformation for massive size).
this doesn't actually work since once they have lost their last dying health level, they die and their corpse becomes an object, so all you are doing is creating a very big very tough, but still dead, corpse.

Imposition of Law may let you cure the Great Contagion, so that deals with most mundane diseases. I am not sure that you can cure the Great Contagion merely by getting a lot of successes, but even if it works this will only help someone who hasn't been killed yet.

Behemoth Forging Meditation no longer works on Exalts. Otherwise (or for mortals), turn them into Fey Beasts via mutations that have no effect (large/small/large/small...), and Unshaped Sword Transformation lets you restore them after they've been destroyed.
those Fey Beasts are artifact not just mutated creatures, they aren't really "alive" in the first place nor are they sapient or even sentient, so if you turn people into Fey Beasts you are killing them.

Jokasti
2011-02-04, 01:54 PM
I'm working on my poem for one SMA I'm working on and would like some feedback.
The Student's Sutra of Sensation: Once, there was a guardian maiden
Who was placed on the tallest mountain
In the tallest spire
And told to watch.
"For what?" she asked.
"You will know when you see it."
She saw it, and she knew
But there was no way down anymore
The Elder's Sutra of Sensation: except for a window.
On the way down, she said,
"Life is not what you see, but what you

Mr.Bookworm
2011-02-04, 02:02 PM

It makes sense with Sol, because he came into existence to define and give form to the Ebon Dragon, which is pretty much exactly what a fetich is. It makes far less sense with any of the other gods.

We also have gotten some expansion (I'll see if I can dig it up) on what the Charm that the Primordials used to keep the gods from directly attacking them does. Basically, that geas only applies if a god directly attacks a Primordial. If one of the Primordials attacks a god, that god has the geas lifted from him for a day. Also, Malfeas can lift the geas. Hence why, say, the Primordials never took out the Incarnae in the Primordial War.

Kyeudo
2011-02-04, 02:09 PM
In the tallest spire
And told to watch.
"For what?" she asked.
She saw it, and she knew

Looks good except for that last line. It just drops off.

Mr.Bookworm
2011-02-04, 02:11 PM
Looks good except for that last line. It just drops off.

The maiden just went out a window.

Think about it.

Kyeudo
2011-02-04, 02:19 PM
The maiden just went out a window.

Think about it.

The maidens are Essence 10 gods. Physics need not apply, plus the drop off is jarring to read.

Friv
2011-02-04, 02:20 PM
I don't like the idea that god's can be Fetiches, or even souls of Primordials. It really makes no sense. More than anything it's the timeline. Gods explicitly did not exist before Creation was created, but the Primordials did, in all their glory (including the Devas of various circles).

The idea for the UCS as Fetich comes from the fact that the Ebon Dragon wasn't the Ebon Dragon before the UCS existed, he was the Dragon's Shadow. It was only when the Sun gave him definition by becoming the embodiment of virtue that he became its antithesis.

Therefore, an argument could be made that, rules-wise, the Dragon's Shadow successfully gave up his fetich and took a new one by filling the material created by Malfeas, thereby transforming his nature as usual for Primordials. It requires probably a few tweaks, but if you assume that the Unconquered Sun is a synthesis of the mantle and the being, it could be a weird edge case. (It would mean that it would be conceivably possible to give the mantle to another fetich later on, too, which would make for interesting story material.)

The same argument can't be made for Luna, unless you drastically change her backstory - Gaia's nature has not, as near as we have seen, changed at all, and Luna was canonically made by Cytherea and Oramus.

The Rose Dragon
2011-02-04, 02:24 PM
The idea for the UCS as Fetich comes from the fact that the Ebon Dragon wasn't the Ebon Dragon before the UCS existed, he was the Dragon's Shadow. It was only when the Sun gave him definition by becoming the embodiment of virtue that he became its antithesis.

He was the Dragon's Shadow until the end of the Primordial War. Only after one of his souls was executed did he become the Ebon Dragon.

Mr.Bookworm
2011-02-04, 02:26 PM

Actually, the Dragon's Shadow is what the Ebon Dragon became post-UCS.

But before the Unconquered Sun existed, the Dragon's Shadow could not affect the world at all. He was completely impotent, unable to interact with the world in any way.

When the Solars shoved him into Malfeas, like all of the other Primordials, his form was changed. In his case, from being the shadow of a dragon to being the dragon itself.

The maidens are Essence 10 gods. Physics need not apply, plus the drop off is jarring to read.

The maidens of the sutras are not the Five Maidens (otherwise, one of the Maidens should be short a hand). The sutras are just poems that prove the point and thematics of a style.

meschlum
2011-02-04, 03:59 PM
this doesn't actually work since once they have lost their last dying health level, they die and their corpse becomes an object, so all you are doing is creating a very big very tough, but still dead, corpse.

Quite. Which is why timing is crucial.

I am not sure that you can cure the Great Contagion merely by getting a lot of successes, but even if it works this will only help someone who hasn't been killed yet.

Absolutely. If it works, it's still helpful, though.

those Fey Beasts are artifact not just mutated creatures, they aren't really "alive" in the first place nor are they sapient or even sentient, so if you turn people into Fey Beasts you are killing them.

Nope! Normal Fey Beasts, certainly. Targets of Behemoth Forging Meditation, not so much. They keep their attributes (even pre-errata), so they are sentient. And post-errata, it is specifically stated that they need to be 'broken in' and social-fu'd into service, which sounds like keeping a lot of their former selves to me...

I never said any of this was easy, but Fair Folk are fairly close to making it possible, which I find fun (and GM dependent).

The interesting setting chatter may now resume.

Tavar
2011-02-04, 04:01 PM
If they haven't lost their last dying level yet, though, then they aren't dead. Thus, you're not bringing them back from the dead any more than, say, a solar using charms to instantly heal someone is.

vegetalss4
2011-02-04, 04:40 PM
Quite. Which is why timing is crucial.

Absolutely. If it works, it's still helpful, though.

but then you don't actually resurrect someone, you just prevent them from dying, which can be done far easier, defend other and a perfect parry of some-kind for instance.

Nope! Normal Fey Beasts, certainly. Targets of Behemoth Forging Meditation, not so much. They keep their attributes (even pre-errata), so they are sentient. And post-errata, it is specifically stated that they need to be 'broken in' and social-fu'd into service, which sounds like keeping a lot of their former selves to me...

I never said any of this was easy, but Fair Folk are fairly close to making it possible, which I find fun (and GM dependent).

The interesting setting chatter may now resume.

huh, I did not know that, it is quite interesting.
by the way I couldn't find the bit where it talks about remaking a behemoth with a shaping action, do you remember where it talked about it? and possibly a keyword I could search for?

meschlum
2011-02-04, 04:46 PM
but then you don't actually resurrect someone, you just prevent them from dying, which can be done far easier, defend other and a perfect parry of some-kind for instance.

Very true, except you're a Fair Folk with no perfects (and spawning 200+ inch tall homunculi to all defend other for you is silly). It is as close as I've got the Fair Folk to healing damage, though.

huh, I did not know that, it is quite interesting.
by the way I couldn't find the bit where it talks about remaking a behemoth with a shaping action, do you remember where it talked about it? and possibly a keyword I could search for?

Unshaped <Grace> Transformation, the charm just before Behemoth Forging Meditation in the book. It lets you repair damaged or destroyed artifacts (and turn old ones into new), and is faster with low dot things - such as 1-dot fey beasts. Plus, repairs are easier.

SurlySeraph
2011-02-04, 06:45 PM
I found something interesting in MoEP: Sidereals. The Strength of the Mast resplendency multiplies a Sid's Strength + Athletics by 10 for how much she can lift. Everything that gives you a bonus on Feats of Strength adds directly to the Strength + Athletics total. You know where this is going.

5 Strength + 5 Athletics + 3 Specialties + 5 Virtue channel + 5 Cooperation + 2 Stunt + 2 Second Excellency, multiplied by 10, gives you a total of 270 on a Feat of Strength pretty easily.
Throwing an object takes a Strength + Athletics 5 higher than that needed to lift it, and you throw it Strength + Athletics yards. It does Strength + Athletics bashing damage, piercing.
I refuse to spend my free time doing a Taylor approximation to figure out how much weight a 265 Feat of Strength should let you lift from the table in the book, but that's got to be at least a small mountain.

But wait, there's more! The Spear has the Hero-Supporting Performance resplendency, which lets you take the highest number of successes someone going before you has had on an Athletics roll, or use the same Strength + Athletics total as the strongest person helping you lift!

I can only conclude that the Primordial War was full of Sidereal mountain-hurling teams, scattering Behemoths like bowling pins and surrounded by Earth Aspect groupies. If they don't appear in Dreams of the First Age, it's because the Solars were jealous.

In the tallest spire
And told to watch.
"For what?" she asked.
She saw it, and she knew

Might want to end it with "but what you - " or "but what you" to make it clear that there wasn't a line cut off. Also, 7-8 pre-form but only 3 post-form Charms?

golentan
2011-02-04, 07:05 PM
So... A Sidereal can wield Islebreaker is what I'm hearing.

Kyeudo
2011-02-04, 07:26 PM
I found something interesting in MoEP: Sidereals. The Strength of the Mast resplendency multiplies a Sid's Strength + Athletics by 10 for how much she can lift. Everything that gives you a bonus on Feats of Strength adds directly to the Strength + Athletics total. You know where this is going.

5 Strength + 5 Athletics + 3 Specialties + 5 Virtue channel + 5 Cooperation + 2 Stunt + 2 Second Excellency, multiplied by 10, gives you a total of 270 on a Feat of Strength pretty easily.
Throwing an object takes a Strength + Athletics 5 higher than that needed to lift it, and you throw it Strength + Athletics yards. It does Strength + Athletics bashing damage, piercing.
I refuse to spend my free time doing a Taylor approximation to figure out how much weight a 265 Feat of Strength should let you lift from the table in the book, but that's got to be at least a small mountain.

But wait, there's more! The Spear has the Hero-Supporting Performance resplendency, which lets you take the highest number of successes someone going before you has had on an Athletics roll, or use the same Strength + Athletics total as the strongest person helping you lift!

I can only conclude that the Primordial War was full of Sidereal mountain-hurling teams, scattering Behemoths like bowling pins and surrounded by Earth Aspect groupies. If they don't appear in Dreams of the First Age, it's because the Solars were jealous.

That only really works if you are the strongest person present but are not alone. Strength 10+ is easy for a demon to get. As soon as a single such demon shows up, you are crushed beneath the mountain you were about to throw.

Now, if you want to throw large objects in combat, there are ways for Lunars and Solars to get fairly ridiculous Feat of Strength scores.
From a discussion on throwing a supertanker into orbit:

A Full Moon Lunar with Strength 5, Athletics 5, Yeddim's Back Method and Tearing Claw Atemi and Lightning Flash Might Methodology Combod together and using his Anima power has a Feat of Strength score with a minimum of 30 in ordinary human form, 10 points higher than the "Lift a Yeddim, Punch a hole through a heavily armored fortress gate" line on the table. My calculator estimates that this means something in the area of 35,000 pounds. A starting Lunar can do this.

Now, if that Lunar has a Tyrant Lizard, Yeddim, or Mammoth for his Spirit Shape, he can achieve a minimum score of 56 for the purposes of Feats of Strength using the same combo of effects. My estimate of how much that can throw is 4,000,000 pounds, or 2000 tons. This is all, due to Lightning Flash Might Methodology, done as a single miscelaneous action, so roughly 5 seconds.

Now, that's not exactly throwing a supertanker into orbit, but then that's at Essence 3. An Essence 10 Lunar and the same Combo with the Second Strength Excellency added has a Feat of Strength Score of 81, which I estimate to mean a lift strength of 385,000,000 lbs or 192,500 tons.

Now, that allows you to throw the tanker. The trouble is throwing if far enough to get it above the atmostphere. Even if a Lunar comboed in Wind-Wings Carry Technique, he'd still need 450 motes to hurl it to a height of 62 miles, and Lunar Essence Pools top out at 160 motes total (Solar Essence pools top out at 190 motes total).

So, lets try a different tack. An Essence 10 Eclipse Caste Solar who has learned the Lunar Charms of the given combo can, through Strength Increasing Excercise and adding in Hill Hurling Might, easily reach a Feat of Strength Score of 85 (allowing him to throw up to 400,000 tons). Through Triple Distance Attack Technique, we can get the required motes for Wind-Wings Carry Technique down to just 15 (+2 for the cross-Exalt surchage).

(Note: The Solar could actually add an addtional 10 to his Feat of Strenght Score by adding the Second Athletics Excellency to the Combo, for a total throwing power of almost 5,000,000,000 lbs or 2,500,000 tons)

So, to throw a Supertanker into orbit, an Essence 10 Eclipse Caste Solar (Strength 10, Athletics 10) with Yeddim's Back Method, Increasing Strength Excercise, and a Combo of Tearing Claw Atemi, Lightning Flash Might Methodology, Wind-Wings Carry Technique, Hill-Hurling Might, and Triple-Distance Attack Technique is probably the minimum you'd use.

Essence cost to pull this off: 6 + 30 + 5 + 4 + 17 + 3 + 3 = 68 motes.
Cost to repeat = 68 - 36 = 32 motes.
This Solar can therefore throw 4 Supertankers into orbit in succession.

This is also using only Charms from the Lunar book and the Core book. Custom charms at high Essence should make this much easier than shown.

Might want to end it with "but what you - " or "but what you" to make it clear that there wasn't a line cut off. Also, 7-8 pre-form but only 3 post-form Charms?

First, I still don't like it. The point of the sutras in the setting is to convey hidden wisdom to those who undestand the sutras. A cheap joke seems to spoil that mistique. Yes, I realize that Charcoal March of Spiders has the itsy-bitsy spider for its student sutra, but that's meta-humor.

Second, there is precendent for having very few post form Charms. Take a look at Prismatic Arrangement of Creation Style. It has only one Charm post-form and that is another form Charm.

Xefas
2011-02-04, 07:44 PM
First, I still don't like it. The point of the sutras in the setting is to convey hidden wisdom to those who undestand the sutras. A cheap joke seems to spoil that mistique. Yes, I realize that Charcoal March of Spiders has the itsy-bitsy spider for its student sutra, but that's meta-humor.

I don't see it as a cheap joke. I don't know what her Martial Art is going to be about but, to me-

-is basically daring the reader to find their own meaning for life, rather than having it spoon-fed to you by someone else. It's inferring that we must all find our own meaning that is right for us, because there is no single right answer; there's no way someone can finish that sentence for you. And if the Martial Art is not actually about that, then I'm going to look very silly.

And I actually like the jarring cut-off in that case.

SurlySeraph
2011-02-04, 08:12 PM
A Sid *could* wield Islebreaker, but it wouldn't be a good idea because you get Paradox. If you absolutely must break an isle and know only one way how then sure, if you want Islebreaker as your primary weapon then no.

The team leader using Strength of the Mast can safely throw mountains until he's near 10 Paradox and gets 1 paradox die per use, so maybe 16 mountains thrown before taking a break to make the Pattern Spiders stop twitching. Incidentally, taking Crane Style up to the Form so he can recover Compassion channels in place of normal stunt awards would be a good idea, since channeling a virtue adds 5 to his unmultiplied pool; otherwise he'd run out of Virtue channels before he got to a dangerous level of Paradox, and so would have to throw smaller mountains. Man, Crane Style is awesome.
His assistants using Hero-Supporting Performance don't gain 'dox, so they can keep throwing using his Strength + Athletics until he stops using Strength of the Mast.

That only really works if you are the strongest person present but are not alone. Strength 10+ is easy for a demon to get. As soon as a single such demon shows up, you are crushed beneath the mountain you were about to throw.

"If someone in the Sidereal’s unit can do something, the Sidereal can, too. For the rest of the scene, the Sidereal can choose to accept the highest number of successes anyone going before her has rolled on a given Athletics-related roll. Likewise, she can carry her share, and has the (Strength + Athletics) total of the strongest person helping her lift." Enemies don't come into it.

Second, there is precendent for having very few post form Charms. Take a look at Prismatic Arrangement of Creation Style. It has only one Charm post-form and that is another form Charm.

Or 11 post-form charms, if you start from its first form charm rather than the one named PAoC Form. I see your point, though.

And thanks for that Solar and Lunar post. A Cascade of Cutting Supertankers is a beautiful image.

Kyeudo
2011-02-04, 08:18 PM
And thanks for that Solar and Lunar post. A Cascade of Cutting Supertankers is a beautiful image.

Use Mist on Water Attack instead. No one will notice that Jeff just got crushed by a 200,000 ton object for about a minute.

Weimann
2011-02-04, 08:27 PM
And thanks for that Solar and Lunar post. A Cascade of Cutting Supertankers is a beautiful image.Completely unrelated, but it reminded me of a thing I read about two Solars fighting a strong spirit. The problem they had was that while the Dawn could hit past the spirits DV, it wouldn't matter unless they totally destroyed it, which required Ghost Eating Technique, which the Twilight had. Unfortunately, he wasn't able to overcome the DV.

So how to deal with this? Well, the Dawn and his partner delayed their actions until they acted on the same tick. Then... Cascade of Cutting Twilight. That is, a rain of Solar Exalted, each and everyone capable of utterly destroying you with a touch, coming at you with the accuracy of the most capable warriors there is, as an undodgable attack.

That is beautiful.

Primal Fury
2011-02-04, 08:30 PM
So... The Dawn threw the Twilight (as a Thrown weapon), and that allowed activation of Cascade of Cutting Terror? Is that about right?

Weimann
2011-02-04, 08:39 PM
Yeah, that's how I understood it. Probably counts as an improvised weapon, but the stunt should more than justify it. Subject to ST approval, of course, so probably not a spammable tactic

TheCountAlucard
2011-02-04, 10:17 PM
I can only conclude that the Primordial War was full of Sidereal mountain-hurling teams, scattering Behemoths like bowling pins and surrounded by Earth Aspect groupies.Because the Sidereals clearly had time to get to Essence 10 before/during the Primordial War... :smalltongue:

Xefas
2011-02-04, 10:41 PM
Because the Sidereals clearly had time to get to Essence 10 before/during the Primordial War... :smalltongue:

I don't think Surly's method required Essence 10. Though, didn't Porkchop Crackerjack get pretty close anyway?

Tavar
2011-02-04, 10:57 PM
Considering he only exalted after the war, I don't think so.

TheCountAlucard
2011-02-04, 11:00 PM
I don't think Surly's method required Essence 10. Though, didn't Porkchop Crackerjack get pretty close anyway?Oops, my mistake - I was still thinking of the Lunar/Solar combo. :smallredface:

golentan
2011-02-04, 11:05 PM
Bear in mind that solars had a lifespan of what, six thousand years and the first one died of old age around year 2000 post primordial war. And the time warping thing they had going then as well (my favorite quote is about one of the pivotal battles is that it took place somewhere between the second week and second century of the war).

I'm sure some of them could have done it.

Tavar
2011-02-04, 11:09 PM
Where does it actually go over the ages that exalts live?

golentan
2011-02-04, 11:22 PM
Where does it actually go over the ages that exalts live?

Dreams of the First Age, Volume 1, Page 36, sidebar: The Exalted Lifespan.

It would appear that the 5000 year lifespan is a charm probably developed post-realizing-we're-mortal and that the natural solar lifespan is "merely" 2-3000.

Xefas
2011-02-04, 11:30 PM
Considering he only exalted after the war, I don't think so.

Ah, I guess I'm getting my timeline mixed up.

So, an unrelated question: Zapp Brannigan; Best Dawn Caste or best Solar?

(Would it be unreasonable to modify Foolhardy Contempt to involve sending wave-after-wave of your own Follower Extras at something?)

golentan
2011-02-04, 11:34 PM
Zap isn't even a heroic mortal. He's a fellow who Kif (sidereal) regrets convincing he was a solar. While it has given Kif the influence he desired over interstellar politics and military, keeping Zap alive and popular is more trouble than it's worth and Kif insufficiently invested in social fu.

Kyeudo
2011-02-04, 11:46 PM
Because the Sidereals clearly had time to get to Essence 10 before/during the Primordial War... :smalltongue:

Actually, all accounts mention that there WAS a time between the creation of the Exalted and the start of the war (at least one year, as the Dragon-Blooded had time to sire the first generation of children at the least). The Sidereals actually were spying on the Primordials under the guise of being the Five Maidens' special assistants long before the first blow was struck and were responsible for opening the gates of Heaven for the first assault.

Exactly how long this time span was is left to the Storyteller to decide. Personally, I expect it was a good few centuries.

Tavar
2011-02-05, 12:54 AM
Okay, regarding the differences between Terrestrial/Celestial/Sidereal martial arts, does it end something like this? Terrestrial Martial arts are basically melee charms by another name, not making one essence in tune with anything beyond making the punch/kick/whatever stronger. Celestial Martial arts really begin the emulating, with things like animals, professions, heroes(Lunar Hero, Solar Hero, Celestial Dragon styles, etc). Sidereal Martial arts emulate not physical things, but grand, overarching concepts (love, entropy, death, deceit, etc). Right?

Also, I'm using this Familiar fix:
Familiar
Its a simple fact that as far as backgrounds go Familiar is fairly weak. To most beginning Solars a Familiar is of 0 challange to kill in a fight. A 'dangerous' animal like a tiger is actually no real threat to any Exalt. In fact in any fight where the character could be threatened the Familiar has no hope to survive. This means to me the entire area needs an edit. So here is my try at it.
First of all the Familiars are so bonded with the character's essence they gain a form of immortality. A familiar heals one level of damage an hour regardless of source. This happens even if a familiar is killed. Familiars do not age and while they can grow hungry they will never starve or die from such normal means. To kill a Familiar permenently requires one of three ways. First of all is seperate the Familiar from the character. If you can put a mile of distance per level of Familiar between a Familiar and its master and slay the creature they will not heal and rise up. Second method is to kill the character first and then slay the beast. The third way is to use god-killing charms to finish it off. With the first two ways a Familiar can be revived by a character finding its body and letting it slowly restore to life. In fact a Solar could potentially find an old tomb or ruin, find a long forgotten set of bones and watch as an ancient ally and friend springs to life to rejoin them. Second of all Familiars are all able to understand and communicate with a character. Weaker Familiars will think in basic animal terms but more powerful ones are easily as intelligent as your average human if not smarter. They have a short telepathic bond of about 100 yards. They can communicate by telepathy or by facial expressions, natural animal noises and postures as well that the character and character alone can understand. All Familiars grant an additional 5 motes of Essence that a character can draw on when in contact with the familiar. Finally there should be a scaling effect available with charms. Just as a level 5 artifact is never going to be obsolete neither should a level 5 familiar.
• This level of familiar is something like a loyal and intelligent tiger companion.
•• Familiars of this level are either more intelligent then the norm or have some small and minor powers in the form of appropriate charms to the type of character exalt or god Charms.
••• Familiars at this level are likely full on Godblooded or minor dieties or elementals.
•••• Familiars at this level are credible threats to young Exalted who are not heavily invested in being skilled in combat. Alternatively they should provide great aid in some area outside of combat. A supernaturally wise owl who serves as a tutor in sorcery or charms as well as being able to carry a character around the world for example.
••••• This is a level of Familiar oftentimes created more then found. Always unique at this stage many were forged of the First Age Sorceries or technology of the time. These should be the perfect companion to a character granting useful powers able to be used in tandem. Familiars of this level are often times famous in their own right and those who see you with one will know you are a being of power.

For a Level 3 or 4 familiar, any guidelines on how strong it should be? Assuming it's focus is combat?

Kyeudo
2011-02-05, 01:15 AM
Okay, regarding the differences between Terrestrial/Celestial/Sidereal martial arts, does it end something like this? Terrestrial Martial arts are basically melee charms by another name, not making one essence in tune with anything beyond making the punch/kick/whatever stronger. Celestial Martial arts really begin the emulating, with things like animals, professions, heroes(Lunar Hero, Solar Hero, Celestial Dragon styles, etc). Sidereal Martial arts emulate not physical things, but grand, overarching concepts (love, entropy, death, deceit, etc). Right?

The broad strokes someone once laid it out for me seems to fit better. Say we have 3 martial arts styles, one Terrestrial, one Celestial, and one Sidereal, that all focus on cats.

A Terrestrial martial artist fights like a cat.
A Celestial martial artist is a cat.
A Sidereal martial artist takes the whole concept of cat and kills you with it.

horngeek
2011-02-05, 05:29 AM
Or, as Scroll of The Monk says:

A mundane martial artist can split a brick and jump over a hedge.

A Terrestrial Martial Artist can split a boulder and jump over a house.

A Celestial Martial Artist can split a city wall and jump over a mountain.

A Sidereal Martial Artist can split a soul and jump to Yu-Shan.

While we're on the subject of martial arts, I want someone to make the SMA the Sun knows. Not the UCS, he doesn't get any of those. I mean the DAYSTAR.

Specifically, the SMA a Siddie taught it using a GIANT ARRAY OF MIRRORS.

Why doesn't anyone make that martial arts style? ;_;

Cyborg Mage
2011-02-05, 05:47 AM
Because chances are if someone thought it worthy to teach it to the SUN, it would probably be stupidly overpowered. Even by SMA standards.

Xefas
2011-02-05, 06:07 AM
Why doesn't anyone make that martial arts style? ;_;

I'm already thinking of names for charms. "Foes With Wax Wings Methodology", "'I Am Actually Powered By Nuclear Fusion, You See' Prana", "Don't Stare Directly Into Me! Method".

This could be epic.

EDIT: The reason your eyes hurt when you look directly at the sun is because it's punching you.

TheCountAlucard
2011-02-05, 07:01 AM
"Foes With Wax Wings Methodology"Err, wow. I really actually like that one. :smalltongue:

Cyborg Mage
2011-02-05, 07:08 AM
Anything to do with the fact it's the only one that actually sounds like a real charm?

TheCountAlucard
2011-02-05, 07:59 AM
Anything to do with the fact it's the only one that actually sounds like a real charm?Idunno, "Vicious Melanoma Atemi" sounds pretty good... :smalltongue: Okay, yeah, bad joke.

Let's see, "Radiant Fusion Kata," how's that?

Or, umm, "Horizon-Crossing Meditation?" Ooh, "Rising in the East Method!" :smallbiggrin:

golentan
2011-02-05, 12:46 PM
Hmm... I went to reference ink monkeys and it says the Admin's disabled the blogs and forums. Anyone have word about this? It has been persistent this past day or two for me.

Jokasti
2011-02-05, 12:50 PM
They're implementing new forums.

Tavar
2011-02-05, 12:52 PM
Official Link (http://www.white-wolf.com/index.php?line=news&articleid=1233).

Weimann
2011-02-05, 01:19 PM
Really hope it's up by Monday :<

Reynard
2011-02-05, 01:39 PM
Hmm... I went to reference ink monkeys and it says the Admin's disabled the blogs and forums. Anyone have word about this? It has been persistent this past day or two for me.

All of the Ink Monkeys charms and stuff have been put up on the Wiki.

Xefas
2011-02-05, 04:32 PM
Err, wow. I really actually like that one. :smalltongue:

Anything to do with the fact it's the only one that actually sounds like a real charm?

Yeah, I started out thinking of actual charm names, and then the urge to be silly was too great after the first one.

EDIT: The Hegrian Urge (The Urge to be Silly)? Possible?

Jokasti
2011-02-05, 04:45 PM
Yeah, I started out thinking of actual charm names, and then the urge to be silly was too great after the first one.

EDIT: The Hegrian Urge (The Urge to be Silly)? Possible?

I think TDO did a Hegra charmset.

tonberrian
2011-02-05, 04:50 PM
I think TDO did a Hegra charmset.

He did, but I've heard he doesn't like it, as in his opinion, it's older work that's not up to his current standards. He was working on revamping it before he was monkeyfied, though, so you might see it soon in an Ink Monkeys post near you.

ohmygodIwanttoplayasahighessenceInfernalsobad

Jokasti
2011-02-05, 04:54 PM
He did, but I've heard he doesn't like it, as in his opinion, it's older work that's not up to his current standards. He was working on revamping it before he was monkeyfied, though, so you might see it soon in an Ink Monkeys post near you.
That would be bootylicious.

Xefas
2011-02-05, 05:25 PM

He also did an Autochthon charm set that he tries to keep hidden out of shame. I messaged him about it, but he says they're too awful to use. They looked okay to me, though :smallconfused:, oh well.

Jokasti
2011-02-05, 06:45 PM
Just read through BWC, and, and...
ohmysol
I want Heretical Charms
givemeHereticalCharmsnow
I want to have charms and a world and my own Urge and 15 third circle demons and and and
Someone run a high essence infernals game please.

Sanguine
2011-02-05, 06:50 PM
ohmysol
I want Heretical Charms
givemeHereticalCharmsnow
I want to have charms and a world and my own Urge and 15 third circle demons and and and

I am going to second both the fact that Heretical Charms are awesome and the desire for a high-essence infernal game. Preferably one open to the idea of a character making a Third Circle Hellstrider from their own souls.

Jokasti
2011-02-05, 06:53 PM
I am going to second both the fact that Heretical Charms are awesome and the desire for a high-essence infernal game. Preferably one open to the idea of a character making a Third Circle Hellstrider from their own souls.
That would be cool but not as cool as having a dinner party with your souls. You, 15 third circle, 105 second circle, and lots of first circle waiters and musicians. All in your body.
Yes.

Sanguine
2011-02-05, 06:55 PM
That would be cool but not as cool as having a dinner party with your souls. You, 15 third circle, 105 second circle, and lots of first circle waiters and musicians. All in your body.
Yes.

The two aren't mutually exclusive.

Tavar
2011-02-05, 06:57 PM
He also did an Autochthon charm set that he tries to keep hidden out of shame. I messaged him about it, but he says they're too awful to use. They looked okay to me, though :smallconfused:, oh well.

Problem with being generally awesome; you tend to get high standards.

That's why I enjoy being just kinda okay.

Jokasti
2011-02-05, 07:02 PM
The two aren't mutually exclusive.

At first I was like "Wouldn't it be hard to eat a Hellforged Warstrider?" But then I understood what you meant.
I would need to use that charm that lets me eat anything. Great idea!

Xefas
2011-02-05, 07:23 PM

Ligier Pony and the Ebon Hatchling welcome you to the fold...

http://i925.photobucket.com/albums/ad91/bluejanus/ligierponyebonhatchling2.png

Jokasti
2011-02-05, 07:26 PM
Ligier Pony and the Ebon Hatchling welcome you to the fold...

http://i925.photobucket.com/albums/ad91/bluejanus/ligierponyebonhatchling.png

Do I want to know what that thing on her hindquarters is? :smallconfused::smalleek:

Xefas
2011-02-05, 07:27 PM
Do I want to know what that thing on her hindquarters is? :smallconfused::smalleek:

Updated with more green.

And that is obviously the Mark of the Green Sun. :smallconfused:

The Rose Dragon
2011-02-05, 07:27 PM

It's her pony-mark. All ponies in My Little Ponies have them. I don't know the specific name for the marks, though, never having watched My Little Ponies ((though I hear the latest show is really good)).

Xefas
2011-02-05, 07:29 PM
It's her pony-mark. All ponies in My Little Ponies have them. I don't know the specific name for the marks, though, never having watched My Little Ponies ((though I hear the latest show is really good)).

My Little Pony invented the idea of Caste Marks.

Jokasti
2011-02-05, 07:30 PM
Ah. It's just... It looks... very... augh. Never mind. Ponies.
I could never watch that show. *Goes to watch Adventure Time and Ben 10*

SurlySeraph
2011-02-05, 08:02 PM
I did a write-up for a 0 xp Sidereal mountain-hurler, using the Dawn errata. He's built primarily for lifting and throwing, of course, with some attention paid to Astrology so he can keep using that resplendency.

Name: Propitious Projector of Peaks
Exalt Type and Caste: Sidereal Chosen of Journeys
Anima: A hovering yellow mountain

Lifting ability, so you don't have to wait for it:
5 Strength + 5 Athletics + 3 Specialties + 5 Virtue channel + 5 Cooperation + 2 Stunt + 2 Second Excellency +3 Eye of the First Goat +2 Jewel of Youthful Suppleness = 32, multiplied by The Mast for a final 320 Feat of Strength.

Motivation: To free Creation from the Primordials by moving large objects to more auspicious locations.

Background: Projector was born in midair, as a Solar hurled a field hospital out of a First Circle Demon's reach to save the civilians inside. He was recruited to run messages for the military as soon as he learned to walk, at first in a succession of Sidereal field headquarters and later through active battlefields. At maturity, Projector was assigned to a counter-intelligence unit and rescued tremendous amounts of valuable information from the enemy with remarkable strength and timing, heaving bookcases onto passing yeddim and hurling data crystals onto low-flying airships.
Still, it was only in the minutes after his Exaltation that Projector truly came into his own. There is no need to recount that exploit here; everyone knows how the behemoth Gozmal the Flat got its name. Projector has begun to rearrange mountain ranges across the North in defense of the world, and confidently predicts that demonic forces will retreat from this Direction by the time Gozmal's tail stops twitching. Whether leading a detachment of Sidereal mountain-hurlers or rallying a Talon of adoring Dragon-Bloods, he has become one of the most prominent Celestials in the North mere months since his Exaltation.
Several have asked Mercury if Projector was supposed to Exalt as a Solar, noting his awesomeness and virtue and tendency to shine yellow light everywhere. She always smiles and says she would never steal from the UCS, and certainly not alter Fate to deprive His Perfection of a soul that deserved a more powerful Exaltation than what she can provide. Jupiter always starts giggling around then, for some reason.

Attributes
Physical:
Strength ●●●●●
Dexterity ●●●●●
Stamina ●

Social:
Charisma ●●●●●
Manipulation ●●
Appearance ●●

Mental
Perception ●●
Intelligence ●●
Wits ●●●
Abilities (Specializations +)
Journeys
Resistance •••
Ride: 0
Sail: ••• (airborne mountains +●●)
Survival ••
Thrown ••••• (mountains +•••)
Favored:
Athletics ••••• (Feats of Strength +•••)
Performance ••
Martial Arts •••••
Melee ••
Other:
Awareness ••, Bureaucracy ••, Linguistics (Old Realm [native], Skytongue, Army Code) ••, Lore •••, Occult ••, Socialize •, Stealth •

Backgrounds, Artifacts and Equipment:
Backgrounds: Manse ••, Manse •, Familiar •••, Familiar •••, Artifact ••, Artifact ••, Artifact •, Followers •

Artifacts and Equipment:
Artifacts: Dragon Tear Tiara, Hearthstone Amulet, Hearthstone Bracers
Followers: Five groupies who help him lift, selected from families with Earth Aspect lineages. (He can totally have followers, it's the First Age so Arcane Fate hasn't happened yet).
Familiars: A couple of bears with an unusually good understanding of lifting and leverage.

Manse: Goathouse, an Earth-aspected manse on the peak of a very tall mountain. Only those capable of climbing up are worthy to attend the parties there.
Stone: Eye of the First Goat

Manse: Jointhold, a Wood-aspected hunting lodge located in a pine forest.
Stone: Jewel of Youthful Suppleness

Charms
Athletics
2nd Excellency

Martial Arts
Fluttering Cry of Warning
Empowering Justice Redirection
Crane Form

Melee
Impeding the Flow
Harmony of Blows

Occult
Mark of Exaltation

Resistance
Optimistic Security Practice
Water and Fire Treaty

Thrown
2nd Excellency
Willful Weapon Method
Life Gets Worse Approach

Virtues:
Compassion ●●●●●
Conviction ●
Temperance ●●●●●
Valor ●●

Colleges:
The Mast ●●●●●
The Ship's Wheel ●●

Intimacies:
Mercury (loyalty)
Solars (loyalty)
Pasiap (apologetic devotion)
Earth Aspect Terrestrials (reflexive lust)
Gaia (all of the above)

Willpower: ●●●●●●●●●●

Essence:
Permanent: ●●
Personal: Current 12 (Max 12)
Peripheral: Current 26 (Max 33) (7 Attuned)

Bonus Points:
6 to raise Compassion to 5
5 to raise Willpower to 10
5 on Favored and Caste Abilities
1 on Thrown specialties
1 on Sail specialties
Total: 18/18

EDIT: The reason your eyes hurt when you look directly at the sun is because it's punching you.

This needs to be a Charm. It's also my personal canon from now on.

tonberrian
2011-02-05, 08:08 PM
ohmysol
I want Heretical Charms
givemeHereticalCharmsnow

ohmygodIwanttoplayasahighessenceInfernalsobad

I want this so hard I wanted it retroactively.

Ignore the edit time stamp behind the curtain...

Jokasti
2011-02-05, 08:17 PM
I did a write-up for a 0 xp Sidereal mountain-hurler, using the Dawn errata. He's built primarily for lifting and throwing, of course, with some attention paid to Astrology so he can keep using that resplendency.

Name: Propitious Projector of Peaks
Exalt Type and Caste: Sidereal Chosen of Journeys
Anima: A hovering yellow mountain

Lifting ability, so you don't have to wait for it:
5 Strength + 5 Athletics + 3 Specialties + 5 Virtue channel + 5 Cooperation + 2 Stunt + 2 Second Excellency +3 Eye of the First Goat +2 Jewel of Youthful Suppleness = 32, multiplied by The Mast for a final 320 Feat of Strength.

Motivation: To free Creation from the Primordials by moving large objects to more auspicious locations.

Background: Projector was born in midair, as a Solar hurled a field hospital out of a First Circle Demon's reach to save the civilians inside. He was recruited to run messages for the military as soon as he learned to walk, at first in a succession of Sidereal field headquarters and later through active battlefields. At maturity, Projector was assigned to a counter-intelligence unit and rescued tremendous amounts of valuable information from the enemy with remarkable strength and timing, heaving bookcases onto passing yeddim and hurling data crystals onto low-flying airships.
Still, it was only in the minutes after his Exaltation that Projector truly came into his own. There is no need to recount that exploit here; everyone knows how the behemoth Gozmal the Flat got its name. Projector has begun to rearrange mountain ranges across the North in defense of the world, and confidently predicts that demonic forces will retreat from this Direction by the time Gozmal's tail stops twitching. Whether leading a detachment of Sidereal mountain-hurlers or rallying a Talon of adoring Dragon-Bloods, he has become one of the most prominent Celestials in the North mere months since his Exaltation.
Several have asked Mercury if Projector was supposed to Exalt as a Solar, noting his awesomeness and virtue and tendency to shine yellow light everywhere. She always smiles and says she would never steal from the UCS, and certainly not alter Fate to deprive His Perfection of a soul that deserved a more powerful Exaltation than what she can provide. Jupiter always starts giggling around then, for some reason.

Attributes
Physical:
Strength ●●●●●
Dexterity ●●●●●
Stamina ●

Social:
Charisma ●●●●●
Manipulation ●●
Appearance ●●

Mental
Perception ●●
Intelligence ●●
Wits ●●●
Abilities (Specializations +)
Journeys
Resistance •••
Ride: 0
Sail: •••
Survival ••
Thrown ••••• (mountains +•••)
Favored:
Athletics ••••• (Feats of Strength +•••)
Performance ••
Martial Arts •••••
Melee ••
Other:
Awareness ••, Bureaucracy ••, Linguistics (Old Realm [native], Skytongue, Army Code) ••, Lore •••, Occult ••, Socialize •, Stealth •

Backgrounds, Artifacts and Equipment:
Backgrounds: Manse ••, Manse •, Familiar •••, Familiar •••, Artifact ••, Artifact ••, Artifact •, Followers •

Artifacts and Equipment:
Artifacts: Dragon Tear Tiara, Hearthstone Amulet, Hearthstone Bracers
Followers: Five groupies who help him lift, selected from families with Earth Aspect lineages. (He can totally have followers, it's the First Age so Arcane Fate hasn't happened yet).
Familiars: A couple of bears with an unusually good understanding of lifting and leverage.

Manse: Goathouse, an Earth-aspected manse on the peak of a very tall mountain. Only those capable of climbing up are worthy to attend the parties there.
Stone: Eye of the First Goat

Manse: Jointhold, a Wood-aspected hunting lodge located in a pine forest.
Stone: Jewel of Youthful Suppleness

Charms
Athletics
2nd Excellency

Martial Arts
Fluttering Cry of Warning
Empowering Justice Redirection
Crane Form

Melee
Impeding the Flow
Harmony of Blows

Occult
Mark of Exaltation

Resistance
Optimistic Security Practice
Water and Fire Treaty

Thrown
2nd Excellency
Willful Weapon Method
Life Gets Worse Approach

Virtues:
Compassion ●●●●●
Conviction ●
Temperance ●●●●●
Valor ●●

Colleges:
The Mast ●●●●●
The Ship's Wheel ●●

Intimacies:
Mercury (loyalty)
Solars (loyalty)
Pasiap (apologetic devotion)
Earth Aspect Terrestrials (reflexive lust)
Gaia (all of the above)

Willpower: ●●●●●●●●

Essence:
Permanent: ●●
Personal: Current 12 (Max 12)
Peripheral: Current 26 (Max 33) (7 Attuned)

Bonus Points:
6 to raise Compassion to 5
6 to raise Willpower to 8
5 on Favored and Caste Abilities
1 on Thrown specialties
Total: 18/18

This needs to be a Charm. It's also my personal canon from now on.
Hahahha. Oh man. I can't wait for the Sidereal fixes so I can play a serious one.

I want this so hard I wanted it retroactively.

Ignore the edit time stamp behind the curtain...
That's pretty hard, man.

Jokasti
2011-02-05, 08:49 PM
What's the easiest Shintai Charm to get?

Xefas
2011-02-05, 08:50 PM
What's the easiest Shintai Charm to get?

Probably Devil-Tyrant Avatar Shintai.

Soul-Sand Devil Shintai is also pretty easy, and it nets you (the worst Solar-level) perfect defense on your way there.

EDIT: Just for reference, Devil-Tyrant is Ess 3 with two prereqs (one of which is also really friggin' amazing), and Soul-Sand is Ess 4 with three prereqs (one of which is the aforementioned perfect defense).

Sanguine
2011-02-05, 08:53 PM
I just had an awesome idea for a Heretical Infernal game.

The Reclamation was a success, the Yozis were freed from their prison and reclaimed what is theirs from the pitiful gods. The Unconquered Sun was not able too tear himself from the games even as the forces of Hell beat down the doors of the Jade Pleasure Dome, The Daystar doused in the acid waters of Kimbery, Luna was trapped in a prison existing purely in the mind of Oramus. and the maidens were placed in shackles forged from the tainted Starmetal of the deceased Incarnae Nox; crushing their will completely. The 150 Solar Exaltations were captured and twisted into Exaltations of the Green Sun. Those foolish enough not to back the Reclamation remained trapped in the body of their one-time king.

Everything seemed to be going the Yozis way. Until a new concept appeared among their favored servants. Heresy. These new Heretics rebelled against their masters. Even more horrifying, the Yozis couldn't defeat them out of hand. Heaven and Creation have been ravaged by War for the last 1500 years. Both sides have suffered serious casualties, though unlike the Yozis the Heretics can replenish themselves not just their souls.

I'm not sure I want to run it however, because if I run it then I can't play.

Lix Lorn
2011-02-05, 09:00 PM
Reminds me of one of the worlds from Random_Person's game. Seriously, there were seven versions of creation there, I want to play in all of dem. DX

Jokasti
2011-02-05, 09:03 PM
I just had an awesome idea for a Heretical Infernal game.

The Reclamation was a success, the Yozis were freed from their prison and reclaimed what is theirs from the pitiful gods. The Unconquered Sun was not able too tear himself from the games even as the forces of Hell beat down the doors of the Jade Pleasure Dome, The Daystar doused in the acid waters of Kimbery, Luna was trapped in a prison existing purely in the mind of Oramus. and the maidens were placed in shackles forged from the tainted Starmetal of the deceased Incarnae Nox; crushing their will completely. The 150 Solar Exaltations were captured and twisted into Exaltations of the Green Sun. Those foolish enough not to back the Reclamation remained trapped in the body of their one-time king.

Everything seemed to be going the Yozis way. Until a new concept appeared among their favored servants. Heresy. These new Heretics rebelled against their masters. Even more horrifying, the Yozis couldn't defeat them out of hand. Heaven and Creation have been ravaged by War for the last 1500 years. Both sides have suffered serious casualties, though unlike the Yozis the Heretics can replenish themselves not just their souls.

waaaaaaaant

tonberrian
2011-02-05, 09:24 PM

This was my logic on STing an Alchemicals game - players get to create one dynamic, interesting character to interact through. STs get a hundred.

Granted, this game also collapsed because I stopped posting, so...

I just want to take a minute to apologize to the players of that game. I was going through a lot of issues then. Still am, really. That, of course, doesn't excuse the fact that I let you all down, especially since I was harping on some of the players for doing that very thing. The fact that I haven't done this previously is also inexcusable. Ganurath, Ellas Aramond, DCGFTW, The Blue Guard, and Drascin - if you are reading this, you should know that you deserve better than what I gave you, and I humbly ask for your forgiveness.

I also have internet cookies. They're homeade.

Sanguine
2011-02-05, 09:29 PM
This was my logic on STing an Alchemicals game - players get to create one dynamic, interesting character to interact through. STs get a hundred.

I just want to take a minute to apologize to the players of that game. I was going through a lot of issues then. That, of course, doesn't excuse the fact that I let you all down, of course, especially since I was harping on some of the players for doing that very thing. The fact that I haven't done this previously is also inexcusable. I humbly ask for your forgiveness.

Very compelling argument. Ok, I'll run the game, I'll post a link here once I put up the Recruitment Thread.

tonberrian
2011-02-05, 09:32 PM
Very compelling argument. Ok, I'll run the game, I'll post a link here once I put up the Recruitment Thread.

ohmysolyouaresoawesome

ohmysolIamsoawesome

a_humble_lich
2011-02-05, 09:38 PM
ohmysolyouaresoawesome

ohmysolIamsoawesome

Did you just use an UMI Linguistics charm to get Sanguine to run a game?

Jokasti
2011-02-05, 09:41 PM
OMS
yes
*drools*

ohmysolyouaresoawesome

ohmysolIamsoawesome
yes

yes

yessssss

tonberrian
2011-02-05, 09:41 PM

I don't know! If I did, I need to figure out how to do it on a resume!

Jokasti
2011-02-05, 09:42 PM
Gonna go ahead and say I'm going Fiend.

The Rose Dragon
2011-02-05, 09:43 PM
I'll be a Defiler. Or a Scourge. Since they are the only cool Green Sun Prince Castes.

Probably Defiler.

TheCountAlucard
2011-02-05, 09:50 PM
I would play, but I still don't have BWC. :smallfrown:

Xefas
2011-02-05, 09:50 PM
Aw mans, does that mean I'd finally get to play my reasonably-benevolent Malefactor that Devil-Tigers into Old Testament God? :smalleek: That would make me so happy. :smallbiggrin:

The Rose Dragon
2011-02-05, 09:53 PM
Aw mans, does that mean I'd finally get to play my reasonably-benevolent Malefactor that Devil-Tigers into Old Testament God? :smalleek: That would make me so happy. :smallbiggrin:

These two phrases do not go together in the same sentence.

Primal Fury
2011-02-05, 09:58 PM
Of course they do. It's called character development! :smallbiggrin:

Sanguine
2011-02-05, 11:41 PM
A War of Heresy (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=10314905#post10314905)

Tavar
2011-02-06, 12:29 AM
Is there a background that gives you something along the lines of a Cohort granted by the leadership feat in DnD? Player in my game wants something like that, and right now I'm using the Ally background to represent it, but I was wondering if there was a better way. Not that the ally isn't as capable as a full exalt(it's a heroic mortal, most likely unenlightened), so it's not like the guys getting two full characters to play around with.

Sanguine
2011-02-06, 12:34 AM
Is there a background that gives you something along the lines of a Cohort granted by the leadership feat in DnD? Player in my game wants something like that, and right now I'm using the Ally background to represent it, but I was wondering if there was a better way. Not that the ally isn't as capable as a full exalt(it's a heroic mortal, most likely unenlightened), so it's not like the guys getting two full characters to play around with.

Henchman from Dragon-Blooded gives Heroic Mortal Henchman.

Arcanoi
2011-02-06, 12:34 AM
A mix of Command, Henchmen, and Retainers from MOEP: Dragonbloods would probably be the best emulation.

Tavar
2011-02-06, 12:41 AM
Ah. That sounds like exactly what I need. And looking up, I have it detailed in Scroll of Heroes. Are there any special rules from Dragonblooded that I should know about.

Sanguine
2011-02-06, 12:56 AM
Ah. That sounds like exactly what I need. And looking up, I have it detailed in Scroll of Heroes. Are there any special rules from Dragonblooded that I should know about.

Nope. No special rules.

Rockphed
2011-02-06, 03:25 AM

Sure they do! I mean it depends on what exactly is meant by "Old Testament God", but if my memories of my religious education are accurate "reasonably-benevolent" describes him to a T.

horngeek
2011-02-06, 05:07 AM
Compared to everything else at the time, yes he was. That's all I'm saying on this, because this shouldn't go any further on this forum.

In other new, interested. *goes to read recruitment thread*

Cyborg Mage
2011-02-06, 05:22 AM
Guess what needs a new Storyteller AGAIN! (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=182914)

Drascin
2011-02-06, 08:27 AM

I just want to take a minute to apologize to the players of that game. I was going through a lot of issues then. Still am, really. That, of course, doesn't excuse the fact that I let you all down, especially since I was harping on some of the players for doing that very thing. The fact that I haven't done this previously is also inexcusable. Ganurath, Ellas Aramond, DCGFTW, The Blue Guard, and Drascin - if you are reading this, you should know that you deserve better than what I gave you, and I humbly ask for your forgiveness.

To be honest, what miffed me was not the fact that you had to go and cut the campaign dead - hey, real life sometimes is a bitch, I understand perfectly well - but that you disappeared without saying anything. Really, should just have left a message saying "sorry guys, can't ST anymore due to RL trouble" - everyone would have understood, seriously.

Still, hey, at least you apologized for that. So, don't worry, no harm done :smallsmile:

Though, you forgot Tengu, who was also playing in that game. Might want to shoot him a message too.

Lord Raziere
2011-02-06, 09:56 AM
Henchman from Dragon-Blooded gives Heroic Mortal Henchman.

better. put four dots in Henchmen give each of those heroic mortals five dots in Command and you get an army of 100,000 troops under your command.

it only gets more ridiculous if its possible for Henchmen themselves to have Henchmen.

The Rose Dragon
2011-02-06, 10:08 AM
better. put four dots in Henchmen give each of those heroic mortals five dots in Command and you get an army of 100,000 troops under your command.

it only gets more ridiculous if its possible for Henchmen themselves to have Henchmen.

Not under your command. Under your henchmen's command. It's an important distinction to make, since the chain of command tends to be imperfect (the soldiers won't necessarily listen to you if you don't command them through your henchmen, for example, and your henchmen might still disobey you from time to time).

tonberrian
2011-02-06, 10:32 AM
Though, you forgot Tengu, who was also playing in that game. Might want to shoot him a message too.

No (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=156704), I don't think so. I mean, he was in the recruiting thread, but...

Lord Raziere
2011-02-06, 11:17 AM
Not under your command. Under your henchmen's command. It's an important distinction to make, since the chain of command tends to be imperfect (the soldiers won't necessarily listen to you if you don't command them through your henchmen, for example, and your henchmen might still disobey you from time to time).

yes and you command your henchmen. under your command.

The Rose Dragon
2011-02-06, 11:22 AM
Your henchmen aren't mindless slaves, though. They are people with their own dreams, hopes, motivations and needs. Sure, they'd rather follow you than not, but if you tell them something that goes against their personality, they are probably going to object.

You might be the general, but your henchmen are the commanders of your army. Those soldiers only take orders from your henchmen, and if your henchmen disagree with you, so will the soldiers.

Lord Raziere
2011-02-06, 11:26 AM
Your henchmen aren't mindless slaves, though. They are people with their own dreams, hopes, motivations and needs. Sure, they'd rather follow you than not, but if you tell them something that goes against their personality, they are probably going to object.

You might be the general, but your henchmen are the commanders of your army. Those soldiers only take orders from your henchmen, and if your henchmen disagree with you, so will the soldiers.

so? I'm Exalted and they are my characters.

The Rose Dragon
2011-02-06, 11:30 AM
They are not. They are the ST's characters. Like I said, the chain of command is not perfect. You can only affect the immediate link. You have to go through that link to affect the next. Being Exalted makes it easier, but not automatic.

Lord Raziere
2011-02-06, 11:34 AM
They are not. They are the ST's characters. Like I said, the chain of command is not perfect. You can only affect the immediate link. You have to go through that link to affect the next. Being Exalted makes it easier, but not automatic.

nope their mine, my background, whats the point of them if they are controlled by ST? I don't recall them being ST chars.

and Exalted not making it automatic? dude the lowest Exalts are considered enlightened Bodhisattva's. If they don't obey me they are contradicting a demigod who can smash their face in, who are expected to abuse their power.

My henchmen obey me, without question. :smallcool:

The Rose Dragon
2011-02-06, 11:38 AM
nope their mine, my background, whats the point of them if they are controlled by ST? I don't recall them being ST chars.

They are NPCs. Therefore, they are not PCs. Therefore, they are not controlled by players. You are a player. Therefore, you do not control NPCs.

and Exalted not making it automatic? dude the lowest Exalts are considered enlightened Bodhisattva's. If they don't obey me they are contradicting a demigod who can smash their face in, who are expected to abuse their power.

My henchmen obey me, without question. :smallcool:

You know what happened when Solars acted like that the last time around? The Usurpation. And even before that, thousands of mortals and Terrestrials went against the rule of the Deliberative. So, feel free to smash your henchman's face in. Just don't expect him to stay a henchman for long.

Lord Raziere
2011-02-06, 11:44 AM
dude why so serious? :smallcool: I'm just pointing out that I want and can get an army of 100,000 troops under my control early, stop ruining the fun. the npcs would be detailed in my background anyways, so only I could roleplay them so the ST wouldn't be able to, cause only I can really roleplay them.

chill. Not really being serious here.

Lix Lorn
2011-02-06, 11:45 AM
Pretty sure TRD is right. Most STs will let you play your followers if you play them reasonably. But if you're using them as sheep who follow mindlessly... no ST will allow that unless the game is based on mass combat.

Lord Raziere
2011-02-06, 11:49 AM
Pretty sure TRD is right. Most STs will let you play your followers if you play them reasonably. But if you're using them as sheep who follow mindlessly... no ST will allow that unless the game is based on mass combat.

don't care. chill out. why take life seriously? why take anything seriously? the worlds a joke and your the punchline. You guys want a serious game. I just want to have fun with 100,000 troops at my command.

and if you really want to be serious about, I become a schemer and instead of threatening them out right, I keep the NPC's focused on each other in their own little game of internal politics, manipulating everything so that they follow my commands- whether it is obvious that they are my commands or not, which only makes things even MORE fun.

Jokasti
2011-02-06, 12:00 PM
don't care. chill out. why take life seriously? why take anything seriously? the worlds a joke and your the punchline. You guys want a serious game. I just want to have fun with 100,000 troops at my command.

and if you really want to be serious about, I become a schemer and instead of threatening them out right, I keep the NPC's focused on each other in their own little game of internal politics, manipulating everything so that they follow my commands- whether it is obvious that they are my commands or not, which only makes things even MORE fun.

Seriously?
If you don't want a serious discussion of the rules, don't just insult people and go on a solipsist rant about how you don't take the game seriously.

Drascin
2011-02-06, 12:19 PM
No (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=156704), I don't think so. I mean, he was in the recruiting thread, but...

Oh, right, damn. I got mixed with the other Alchemicals game I entered afterwards - which suffered the same fate as yours, in much the same way :smallsigh:. Sorry there.

Tavar
2011-02-06, 01:20 PM
Hey, looking at Authority Radiating Stance. Is this charm actually useful at essences below 6 or so? Seems that you'd just as easily tell the people you're interacting with that you have authority over them, and save a charm activation.

The Rose Dragon
2011-02-06, 01:26 PM
Hey, looking at Authority Radiating Stance. Is this charm actually useful at essences below 6 or so? Seems that you'd just as easily tell the people you're interacting with that you have authority over them, and save a charm activation.

Sure, and you could just as easily tell them the world is round. Doesn't mean they would believe it.

Tavar
2011-02-06, 01:32 PM
Uh, that's not really how social combat works, is it? You're saying that you can't convince anyone anything without the use of charms?

SurlySeraph
2011-02-06, 01:35 PM
I'd like to slightly overhaul the God-Blooded rules in Scroll of Heroes to add Dawn Errata-ish changes, to make the different types of God-Bloods more balanced against each other, and to clarify some things. Do these look like good improvements?

Players receive four specialties to distribute amongst their character’s Abilities.
Virtue dots may be purchased for 1 bonus point each. However, Willpower is calculated independently of Virtues.
Characters begin with Willpower rated at 5. Willpower may be increased at a cost of 1 bonus point per dot.
Characters may start with (Willpower + Compassion) Intimacies without spending bonus points.
Charms cost 5 bonus points. (I'm considering making Half-Castes' charms still cost 7 bp, because they're generally better than spirit charms and arcanoi).
Sorcery and Necromancy charms cost 7 bonus points.
Half-Castes can learn Solar Hero Style, Dark Messiah Style, Throne Shadow Style, etc. like their parent Exalt.

Dragon-Touched are a thing again. They're heroic mortals from Dragon-Blooded families. You make them exactly like any other heroic mortals.

Actual godly God-Blooded and Half-Castes seem to have a significant leg up over the other types, since it's easier for them to recover Essence and their heritage abilities are much less situational. I'm not entirely sure what to do about that.

The Demon-Blooded "places of sin" thing is yeah. They should probably just regain Essence normally in Creation. They might also need a heritage power other than "Seeing demonic things" and less situational than "Not automatically dying in Malfeas"

Fae-Blooded seem completely screwed. Lacking GWM, I'm not really sure how to help them. Free Grace? Free Appearance dots? More Essence and the ability to respire Essence normally in Creation, because as written they're completely useless when away from the Wyld?

A lot of the mutations could use some cleanup and clarification, but that's separate.

Primal Fury
2011-02-06, 01:37 PM
The thing about that is... many people take the game seriously, and if you come to the table with an attitude like that... Well, there aren't a lot of people who'll keep you around. Solipsism works great for characters, but not for people.

Primal Fury
2011-02-06, 01:40 PM
Half-Castes can learn Solar Hero Style, Dark Messiah Style, Throne Shadow Style, etc. like their parent Exalt.
My knee-jerk reaction is "Oh hell no, non-Exalts can't learn CMAs under any circumstances (except for spirits, doi)."

Dragon-Touched are a thing again. They're heroic mortals from Dragon-Blooded families. You make them exactly like any other heroic mortals.
So what's special about them? What's the point of making one?

SurlySeraph
2011-02-06, 02:16 PM
My knee-jerk reaction is "Oh hell no, non-Exalts can't learn CMAs under any circumstances (except for spirits, doi)."

My logic is that the hero styles aren't any more powerful than the rest of their parents' charms, and that it's a point that needs to be clarified. Do you think it's a bad idea?

So what's special about them? What's the point of making one?

Nothing, just that they existed and were fairly plot-significant in 1E, some people got annoyed that Scroll of Heroes removed them, and it's a quick way to put the concept back in without massively changing anything.

Tavar
2011-02-06, 02:19 PM
So, it's just a name for non-exalted nobles of houses? Then what's the difference with the current set up?

a_humble_lich
2011-02-06, 02:29 PM
Should the number of bonus points God-blooded start with be increased if using the dawn solution errata? Because now everybody will have to spend a few bonus points on Willpower which they wouldn't otherwise. I guess that is why Solars etc now start with 18 bp. You could argue that God-blooded already have enough bonus points, but you would be wrong you can never have enough.

Also, if your talking about trying to balance the different types, you might want to think about Ghost-blooded. It seems Arcanoi are generally less effective than spirit charms and they can have problems trying to regain essence in creation. (On the other hand they are the far cooler than the others so it does balance :smallsmile:)

Reynard
2011-02-06, 02:32 PM
Should the number of bonus points God-blooded start with be increased if using the dawn solution errata? Because now everybody will have to spend a few bonus points on Willpower which they wouldn't otherwise. I guess that is why Solars etc now start with 18 bp. You could argue that God-blooded already have enough bonus points, but you would be wrong you can never have enough.

Also, if your talking about trying to balance the different types, you might want to think about Ghost-blooded. It seems Arcanoi are generally less effective than spirit charms and they can have problems trying to regain essence in creation. (On the other hand they are the far cooler than the others so it does balance :smallsmile:)

If Inheritance is above 3 dots, they have no real need for an extra 3 bp.

SurlySeraph
2011-02-06, 03:24 PM
So, it's just a name for non-exalted nobles of houses? Then what's the difference with the current set up?

Pretty much nothing, just removing a statement in SoH that I heard a few people rage at.

I think they probably have enough, especially if Inheritance is in play. I'll consider it if more people agree, though.

Arcanoi seem decent to me, but I probably haven't read enough spirit charms to judge. I'm considering making different types of Charms cost different numbers of BP; would that be a good ide?

Perhaps explicitly noting that Ghost-Bloods can take the Underworld Cult background to represent general worship of their family line would help (Ghosts and Demons notes that ghosts living in Sijan and Stygia often get that background just from ambient reverence).
Letting them carry around Essence Tokens would definitely help, so GBs can fill up in the Underworld and use them like fuel tanks when they get back to Creation.
I feel like Underworld Manse should help somehow, but it still only functions in the Underworld and it's not like there's an arcanoi that lets you count as being in the Underworld.

Tavar
2011-02-06, 03:54 PM
Pretty much nothing, just removing a statement in SoH that I heard a few people rage at.

If I remember that statement, it was only directed at Terrestial Halfcastes, which don't make much sense anyways.

The Rose Dragon
2011-02-06, 03:55 PM
Also, Scroll of Heroes says Terrestrial Half-Castes do not exist unless you say otherwise, which is as it should be.

The Blessed Isle is the book that says they exist, among other contradictions.

ShadowFighter15
2011-02-06, 08:12 PM
Those tables that cropped up in the last thread (the ones showing your Exalt type preferences and whether you wanted to be an ST or not), if anyone wants to use them again, I'd be happy to keep track of them. I read this thread just about every day or two so any tables posted I could copy-paste into Notepad and then edit into the main list (or PM it to Jokashi if the main list is in one of his posts).

Jokasti
2011-02-06, 08:17 PM
Those tables that cropped up in the last thread (the ones showing your Exalt type preferences and whether you wanted to be an ST or not), if anyone wants to use them again, I'd be happy to keep track of them. I read this thread just about every day or two so any tables posted I could copy-paste into Notepad and then edit into the main list (or PM it to Jokashi if the main list is in one of his posts).
Sounds good. Which reminds me
Updated first post with currently recruiting games. A few really interesting ones going around right now.

Currently Recruiting Games:
The Black Walls of Jet (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=185896)
Unnamed Mixed Game (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=185458)
A War of Heresy (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=186288)

ShadowFighter15
2011-02-06, 10:37 PM
Sounds good.

Cool. I'll start things off and just add any other tables people post to the notepad document and PM you that occasionally (unless I get lucky enough to be the second poster of the next thread, then we'll just house it there).

Player|ST?|Player?|1st Choice Exalted|2nd Choice Exalted|3rd Choice Exalted| Favoured Game type?

ShadowFighter15|No|Yes|Lunar|Alchemical|Dragon-Blooded|Just about anything

Lix Lorn
2011-02-07, 04:21 AM
Cool. I'll start things off and just add any other tables people post to the notepad document and PM you that occasionally (unless I get lucky enough to be the second poster of the next thread, then we'll just house it there).

Player|ST?|Player?|1st Choice Exalted|2nd Choice Exalted|3rd Choice Exalted| Favoured Game type?

I think I already did one. Ehh.

Lix Lorn|Not Yet|Always|Solar|Dragon-Blooded|Alchemical|Just about anything, evil only rarely

Sanguine
2011-02-07, 04:40 AM

I did this already, but I guess I'll do it again.

Sanguine|Sometimes|Yes!|Infernal|Alchemical|Lunar| Anything and everything.

Skybound Fencer
2011-02-07, 06:55 AM
I think it's about time I stopped lurking and posted here, too :

Skybound Fencer|Not yet|Yes|Lunar|Dragon-Blooded|Solar|Anything

Mikal
2011-02-07, 07:26 AM

Why wouldn't they? Especially since you can create actual mindless slaves that use Essence with the right charms.

Having an army of 100,000 mortals really isn't that impressive in Exalted.

Lix Lorn
2011-02-07, 07:30 AM
Maybe not, but you should still bother putting effort into it. Just because they're motal doesn't mean they haven't got a motivation of their own.

ShadowFighter15
2011-02-07, 07:40 AM
I know some of you have done these tables before, but it'll be easier just to have everyone repost their tables rather than trying to dig out the old thread and look for them all there.

Now, to see if I'm right about how to add extra lines to a table.

Lix Lorn|Not Yet|Always|Solar|Dragon-Blooded|Alchemical|Just about anything, evil only rarely

Interesting pattern with the second choices there.:smalltongue:

Mikal
2011-02-07, 07:47 AM
Maybe not, but you should still bother putting effort into it. Just because they're motal doesn't mean they haven't got a motivation of their own.

Meh. By default they're extras. The effort you give is basically "I am a divine demigod who trained you and gave you something better."

You really don't have to try very hard. Hell, depending on the pc you probably wouldn't even need to use an Excellency to boost your social attack roll, since their motivations are likely going to be in tune with yours, since they follow the guys who follow you.

It's like saying that a general needs to put effort into getting salutes from and having their orders followed by privates.

Mikal|If I have to|Yes!|Solar|Solar (not a typo)|Infernal|Openrpg or maybe MiRC. PbP can DIAF

Sanguine
2011-02-07, 08:02 AM
Meh. By default they're extras. The effort you give is basically "I am a divine demigod who trained you and gave you something better."

You really don't have to try very hard. Hell, depending on the pc you probably wouldn't even need to use an Excellency to boost your social attack roll, since their motivations are likely going to be in tune with yours, since they follow the guys who follow you.

It's like saying that a general needs to put effort into getting salutes from and having their orders followed by privates.

Mikal|If I have to|Yes!|Solar|Solar (not a typo)|Infernal|Pretty open.

Uhm we were talking about Henchman who are Heroic Mortals and thus by definition not Extras. Also as Heroic Mortals they have Heroic Motivations, which while not necessarily opposed to your own aren't likely to be perfectly in tune with yours either.

Lix Lorn
2011-02-07, 08:03 AM
Uhm we were talking about Henchman who are Heroic Mortals and thus by definition not Extras. Also as Heroic Mortals they have Heroic Motivations, which while not necessarily opposed to your own aren't likely to be perfectly in tune with yours either.
This.
I have no objection to your mortal extra followers having motivations of obedience and little personality, but henchmen should be pretty much characters in terms of being their own people.

Mikal
2011-02-07, 08:40 AM

We're talking about the followers of Henchmen, who most assuredly are extras.

Sanguine
2011-02-07, 08:47 AM
We're talking about the followers of Henchmen, who most assuredly are extras.

No the discussion was about whether your Henchmen would do whatever you say no matter what.

Yes your Henchman's followers are extras. But they are loyal to your Henchman not you. That's why they're your Henchman's followers. Sure if your Henchmen we're mindless automatons(whether metaphorically or literally) it would be a pointless distinction. But they're not, and it's not.

MickJay
2011-02-07, 08:56 AM
An army of 100.000 mortals can be a huge liability on its own (not to mention upkeep costs), you'll likely be expected to deal with massive threats (and blamed for failures). On top of that, these guys can be easily wiped out in a number of ways, if your ST decides you had your fun with your massive army. Alternatively, the circumstances will simply force the army to be required someplace else. You may also find out that due to various circumstances, a retinue of 15 mortal clerks would be much more useful than your army.

tonberrian
2011-02-07, 09:00 AM

tonberrian|No|Yes|Infernals|Moar Infernals! Err... Fixed Sidereals|Alchemicals|One I'm in

Guancyto
2011-02-07, 10:09 AM
Likewise, need to stop lurking and actually post here!

Also you can probably brainwash your henchmen if that's the sort of guy you are, but that could carry repercussions of its own. (Namely all the problems associated with akuma, and that people know you routinely brainwash your henchmen.)

Guancyto|Yes|Yes|Alchemicals|Infernals|Abyssals|Mo st things

tonberrian
2011-02-07, 10:25 AM
Also you can probably brainwash your henchmen if that's the sort of guy you are, but that could carry repercussions of its own. (Namely all the problems associated with akuma, and that people know you routinely brainwash your henchmen.)

Of course, that's nothing that a little brainwashing can't solve!

"Hey, you know, this is turning in to one of those plans - the kind where we brainwash anybody that notices that we're brainwashing everybody."
"It is?"
"Uh huh. And how do those always end?"
"The airship is in flames, everybody's dead, and I've lost my hat."
"That's right. And any plan where you lose your hat is?"
"A bad plan?"
"Right again!"

Lord Raziere
2011-02-07, 10:28 AM

Lord Raziere|No|Yes|Dragon Blooded|Lunars|Sidereals|any

not lurking, just updating my table

Mikal
2011-02-07, 10:43 AM
Likewise, need to stop lurking and actually post here!

Not really. There are plenty of mind-rape charms that aren't obvious in their effect, especially against a mortals pool. They just become devoted, not mindless automatons.

It's trivially easy for a Solar level exalt to modify a mortal's motivation and intimacies to seem to naturally become in tune with what you want. Even a Heroic Mortal.

Guancyto
2011-02-07, 10:53 AM
Well sure, if you're sneaky. But people who hear the tale of Bob the Mortal are going to say to themselves, 'a year ago Bob wanted to blow up Gem. Now all he wants to do is fan Alice the Solar.' And the bigger the rewriting is, the more they will say that. Maybe it's just how Solars are, but it can make heroic people leery of you even if they're aware you're not a horrible demon.

Also, the more devoted they are, the less likely they are to act outside your orders even when you're busy Limit Breaking and doing so would be a staggeringly good idea. That sort of thing.

Tavar
2011-02-07, 11:16 AM
Plus, by doing so you basically have to be a monster. A high compassion or temperance character probably isn't going to go around doing that.

Mikal
2011-02-07, 11:16 AM
Well sure, if you're sneaky. But people who hear the tale of Bob the Mortal are going to say to themselves, 'a year ago Bob wanted to blow up Gem. Now all he wants to do is fan Alice the Solar.' And the bigger the rewriting is, the more they will say that. Maybe it's just how Solars are, but it can make heroic people leery of you even if they're aware you're not a horrible demon.

Also, the more devoted they are, the less likely they are to act outside your orders even when you're busy Limit Breaking and doing so would be a staggeringly good idea. That sort of thing.

Maybe, maybe not. From the Solars POV that might not be, depending. And a Solar who does such things likely would have the POV that someone not following orders is bad.

Guancyto
2011-02-07, 11:26 AM
Well sure, the sort of Solar who would be fine with that would probably also be fine with the drawbacks, yes. But it is a weakness of the approach, even if its users wouldn't acknowledge it as such.

The Rose Dragon
2011-02-07, 11:42 AM

Khantalas|Maybe?|Yes|Abyssals (and Dragon Kings)|Solars|Sidereals|Sandbox, kingdom-building, whatever

Sanguine
2011-02-07, 12:09 PM
Ok so I'm reading through the Roll of Glorious Divinity volume two when I come across this passage.

A master always retains the option of freeing a
slave. If she does so, all of the slave’s markings fade
away instantly, and he becomes a free ghost. In fact,
freed slaves almost always become heroic ghosts due
to improvements made to their Attributes and Essence
due to the circumstances of their deaths. Some
rumors claim that the Deathlords have the means to
sever a master-servant relationship even against the
master’s will, and they use this power to lure powerful
slave ghosts to their banners. Even freed ghosts
retain the markings of their former status and will
often be looked down upon as “escaped property” by
other free ghosts. Throughout the Underworld, there
is a burgeoning black market demand for clothing
that can hide a former slave’s markings.

I mean I know Exalted contradicts itself a lot. But in the same paragraph?:smallconfused:

Lix Lorn
2011-02-07, 12:15 PM
Haha. Faaaail. :smallbiggrin:

SurlySeraph
2011-02-07, 12:18 PM
That's pretty egregious editing. I'd guess they meant to say that the magical property that lets others instantly know that the ghost is a slave and who it belongs to fades, but the physical markings remain.

golentan
2011-02-07, 12:31 PM
That takes a level of editing failure above and beyond mere incompetence.

Golentan|Yes|Yes|Terrestrials|Infernals|Alchemical s|Scenario Sandbox

Drascin
2011-02-07, 12:42 PM
So, we need to update out tables? Here's mine, then.

Drascin|Working on it|Yes|Alchemicals|Dragonblooded, Fae|Everything not Abyssal|Up for anything not completely grimdark

Also, if I said that paragraph surprises me, I'd be lying, I'm afraid :smallsigh:

IcarusWings
2011-02-07, 12:56 PM
Did I hear something about table updates?

{table=head]Player|ST?|Play?|1st Choice Exalted|2nd Choice Exalted|3rd Choice Exalted|Favoured Game
IcarusWings|Someday|Yes|Alchemicals|Dragon Kings|Dragon-Blooded|Any[/table]

a_humble_lich
2011-02-07, 02:19 PM
{table=head]Player|ST?|Play?|1st Choice Exalted|2nd Choice Exalted|3rd Choice Exalted|Favoured Game
a humble lich|Maybe|Yes|Sidereals|Lunars|Dragon/God-Blooded|Any[/table]

Yes I know Sidereals need fixing. And Solars don't :smalltongue:

vegetalss4
2011-02-07, 04:14 PM
I haven't made a table before but here is mine:

Vegetalss4|maybe|Yes|Alchemicals|Dragonblooded, Infernals|Everything else|any

golentan
2011-02-07, 04:43 PM
Yes I know Sidereals need fixing. And Solars don't :smalltongue:

I'm in favor of fixing at least some solars. (http://www.ehow.com/how_117288_fix-dog-cat.html)

SurlySeraph
2011-02-07, 04:46 PM
@^: But then how would all the demons and raksha and elementals and ghosts and behemoths reproduce?

golentan
2011-02-07, 09:41 PM
@^: But then how would all the demons and raksha and elementals and ghosts and behemoths reproduce?

The... ways that they normally do? Except without even the slight chance of being sexually assaulted by a demigod with a fetish for giant piles of inanimate rock.

Kris Strife
2011-02-07, 10:06 PM
I read it as when a Death Lord frees a ghost against the master's permission, the marks remain.

Weimann
2011-02-08, 06:21 PM
The new forum should have been up by now! *abstinence, fidgets*

According to the latest announcement they would release the new White Wolf web page on Tuesday. I guess there's 6-9 hours left of Tuesday in the states, but damn it.

Also that table looks fun.

Weimann|In particular cases|In particular cases|Dragon-Blooded|Alchemicals|I dunno|The lasting type

tonberrian
2011-02-08, 11:02 PM
It is now 11 pm EST, and the new forums are not up. I am upset.

Xefas
2011-02-08, 11:04 PM
It is now 11 pm EST, and the new forums are not up. I am upset.

We still have an hour to go! And I'll bet there'll be a new Ink Monkeys in celebration of the new forum, t'boot!

Right?

:smallfrown: *goes off to weep softly in the corner*

tonberrian
2011-02-08, 11:40 PM
We still have an hour to go! And I'll bet there'll be a new Ink Monkeys in celebration of the new forum, t'boot!

Right?

:smallfrown: *goes off to weep softly in the corner*

Well, Neph was taking notes on Izzy before they cut the power...

I like Neph, ever since he said thanks after I said I loved Abyssal Sail. It seems silly, but there you have it.

Arcanoi
2011-02-08, 11:51 PM
So. I could use an Alchemicals game. Anybody thinking about an Alchemicals game? Cuz I could really use an Alchemicals game. In fact, an Alchemicals game would scratch that itch that I keep feeling where I am not playing an Alchemicals and playing an Alchemicals game would be a perfect defense against that whole 'not-playing-an-Alchemicals-game' thing. So yeah. Alchemicals game. Think about it.

{table]Player|ST?|Player|First Choice Exalted|Second Choice Exalted|Third Choice Exalted|Favored Game Type
DCGFTW|Too lazy|Yus|Alchemicals|Infernals|Dragon Kings?|The kind with Alchemicals :3[/table]

Sanguine
2011-02-09, 12:42 AM
So. I could use an Alchemicals game. Anybody thinking about an Alchemicals game? Cuz I could really use an Alchemicals game. In fact, an Alchemicals game would scratch that itch that I keep feeling where I am not playing an Alchemicals and playing an Alchemicals game would be a perfect defense against that whole 'not-playing-an-Alchemicals-game' thing. So yeah. Alchemicals game. Think about it.

{table]Player|ST?|Player|First Choice Exalted|Second Choice Exalted|Third Choice Exalted|Favored Game Type
DCGFTW|Too lazy|Yus|Alchemicals|Infernals|Dragon Kings?|The kind with Alchemicals :3[/table]

I would be interested in playing an Alchemicals game. I'm afraid I can't run one however as I will be running my crazy Infernals game at some point in the future, as well as the reboots of two of my games; and quite frankly three games is probably my limit.

IcarusWings
2011-02-09, 02:20 AM

I'm always up for an Alchemicals game, but I'd only play as I don't trust myself enough to ST yet.

golentan
2011-02-09, 03:15 AM
So, this came up in my homebrew thread, and I figured I'd ask here since it's been bugging me ever since I wrote the dang charm. Is there an explicit statement in published material that Creatures of Darkness cannot learn Holy charms?

Edit: Page reference required.

Sanguine
2011-02-09, 03:18 AM
So, this came up in my homebrew thread, and I figured I'd ask here since it's been bugging me ever since I wrote the dang charm. Is there an explicit statement in published material that Creatures of Darkness cannot learn Holy charms?

Edit: Page reference required.

Infernals pg. 104 under Holy

The Rose Dragon
2011-02-09, 03:19 AM
Infernals, page 104, under Holy.

EDIT: To be fair, they can learn those Charms, just not use them.

Lix Lorn
2011-02-09, 03:25 AM
I like alchemicals... I could totally second this? xD
That said, I pretty much want... a game. An Exalted game. It would really scratch those 'I'm bored, let's make an exalted charrie!' desires. xD

ShadowFighter15
2011-02-09, 08:04 AM
I think I'll just start posting the up-to-date player table every couple of pages or so til we start the new thread. Then I'll try to get it onto the first page and Jukashi can just add a link to the first post/his sig/wherever.

Mikal|If I have to|Yes!|Solar|Solar (not a typo)|Infernal|Openrpg or maybe MiRC. PbP can DIAF

tonberrian|No|Yes|Infernals|Moar Infernals! Err... Fixed Sidereals|Alchemicals|One I'm in

Khantalas|Maybe?|Yes|Abyssals (and Dragon Kings)|Solars|Sidereals|Sandbox, kingdom-building, whatever

Drascin|Working on it|Yes|Alchemicals|Dragonblooded, Fae|Everything not Abyssal|Up for anything not completely grimdark

IcarusWings|Someday|Yes|Alchemicals|Dragon Kings|Dragon-Blooded|Any

a humble lich|Maybe|Yes|Sidereals|Lunars|Dragon/God-Blooded|Any

Vegetalss4|maybe|Yes|Alchemicals|Dragonblooded, Infernals|Everything else|any

Weimann|In particular cases|In particular cases|Dragon-Blooded|Alchemicals|I dunno|The lasting type

DCGFTW|Too lazy|Yus|Alchemicals|Infernals|Dragon Kings?|The kind with Alchemicals :3

EDIT: Huh, if this thing gets much longer I may have to remember to put it in a spoiler.

Lix Lorn
2011-02-09, 08:15 AM
Okay, my pride has lost out over my desperation. Some of you may have noticed my burning desire leading me to sin making me want a high essence game (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=186361). I could really, really use an ST?
(Spends 10m, 1wp for Puppy Eyed Prana)

Jokasti
2011-02-09, 09:10 AM
I think I'll just start posting the up-to-date player table every couple of pages or so til we start the new thread. Then I'll try to get it onto the first page and Jukashi can just add a link to the first post/his sig/wherever.
EDIT: Huh, if this thing gets much longer I may have to remember to put it in a spoiler.
You're going to want to edit some bits, such as Khantalas' name here being The Rose Dragon. Anything too long, as well. Any "ST?" that's not a yes is a no, unless they said maybe, DK for Dragon Kings and DB for Dragon Bloods, tonberrians second choice can be edited down, and the favored game types are supposed to be as the ones described in the Storytelling chapter of core.

Okay, my pride has lost out over my desperation. Some of you may have noticed my burning desire leading me to sin making me want a high essence game (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=186361). I could really, really use an ST?
(Spends 10m, 1wp for Puppy Eyed Prana)
I put it in the currently recruiting section of the first post.

tonberrian
2011-02-09, 11:27 AM
It is now more than six hours into Wednesday no matter where you are in the world, and the new White Wolf Forums are still not up. I will not speak of this again.

Lix Lorn
2011-02-09, 11:51 AM
You're going to want to edit some bits, such as Khantalas' name here being The Rose Dragon. Anything too long, as well. Any "ST?" that's not a yes is a no, unless they said maybe, DK for Dragon Kings and DB for Dragon Bloods, tonberrians second choice can be edited down, and the favored game types are supposed to be as the ones described in the Storytelling chapter of core.

I put it in the currently recruiting section of the first post.
TRD used his alternate name when he did his table, I don't know why...

Thanks!

The Rose Dragon
2011-02-09, 11:55 AM
TRD used his alternate name when he did his table, I don't know why...

Thanks!

Reflex. The Rose Dragon is my alternate name, not Khantalas. Even my parents know of Khantalas, while they don't know of the Rose Dragon. I'm trying to fix that little problem, but not really succeeding.

Cyborg Mage
2011-02-09, 12:04 PM
Well, seeing as this has been brought up (sorta); Are you the actual author of Keychain of Creation, or just a fan who makes the threads for it here?

(Also, this (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=182914) still needs a new ST)

Drascin
2011-02-09, 12:05 PM
Well, seeing as this has been brought up (sorta); Are you the actual author of Keychain of Creation, or just a fan who makes the threads for it here?

(Also, this (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=182914) still needs a new ST)

The author goes by the name of Jukashi. He does have an account here, and has poked around a few times, but doesn't really frequent this particular forum much.

The Rose Dragon
2011-02-09, 12:05 PM

Who, me? No, I'm not the writer. Padraig is. I'm just the guy who happens to be around at the time of creating the new thread (along with EvilDMMk3).

IcarusWings
2011-02-09, 01:08 PM
Well, I can't help but notice that there seems to be rather few ST's on this forum, and I'm thinking about remedying this by joining their ranks.

I'm not sure yet, but I'll toss a concept I've been thinking about for a while out there.
How about a sort of Harry Potter-esque sort of game, where the Players are all Terrestrials going through secondary school? It would most likely take place in either Cloister of Wisdom or House of Bells, not sure yet, although an exchange student from the Heptagram could certainly fit in. Anyone interested in this as an idea? If so, then I'll get a recruitment thread up.

Jokasti
2011-02-09, 01:09 PM

Who, me? I'm Jokasti, not Jukashi. Unrelated. I had this handle before I came to GitP, which is where I found KoC.

Well, I can't help but notice that there seems to be rather few ST's on this forum, and I'm thinking about remedying this by joining their ranks.

I'm not sure yet, but I'll toss a concept I've been thinking about for a while out there.
How about a sort of Harry Potter-esque sort of game, where the Players are all Terrestrials going through secondary school? It would most likely take place in either Cloister of Wisdom or House of Bells, not sure yet, although an exchange student from the Heptagram could certainly fit in. Anyone interested in this as an idea? If so, then I'll get a recruitment thread up.

A lot of people like Terrestrials, and that's one of the game styles in the Storytelling section, so it's pretty awesome straight up. But if it's HP-esque, why not all Heptagram?

Sanguine
2011-02-09, 01:11 PM

I would certainly be interested. But if I may ask, if your going for a Harry Potter feel, why the Cloister of Wisdom or House of Bells; when the Heptagram fits far better.

golentan
2011-02-09, 01:14 PM
I would certainly be interested. But if I may ask, if your going for a Harry Potter feel, why the Cloister of Wisdom or House of Bells; when the Heptagram fits far better.

Yeah, it really does. Or The Academy at Valhawksen. More mortals but a larger student body in general.

IcarusWings
2011-02-09, 01:15 PM
Harry Potter was an inspiration yes but, for one thing, I didn't want to shoehorn players into being a sorceror if they want to be something else, and I didn't want the game to feel like a rip off of Harry Potter. It's more inspired by Harry Potter as in, supernatural adolescents go to school and master their talents, rather than necessarily spells.

Plus, I'm not really all that fond of Harry Potter, it's just inspiring :smalltongue:

If everyone else really wants the Heptagram then I'll change it.

Lix Lorn
2011-02-09, 01:23 PM
I could be interested in that. That said, I really wanna make characters in general right now, so... xD

Xefas
2011-02-09, 03:41 PM
I could be interested in that. That said, I really wanna make characters in general right now, so... xD

Y'know, someone could make a thread like "Exalted Character Repository", for people to just make and post characters, and have them linked in the first post organized by type, caste, and experience points.

We could set some sort of guideline like:

CharGen

50xp

100xp

150xp

200xp

300xp

500xp

>500xp

Then, that could be a home for all the characters we'll never get a chance to personally play. And then, prospective Storytellers, either in meatspace, or in PbP games could pick them up as NPCs, or players who aren't feeling a lot of inspiration could peruse and either use one to inspire a new character for a game, or steal it wholesale.

There could even be...!

Wait. I think I'll just go make this thread.

Lix Lorn
2011-02-09, 03:42 PM
Makes sense, but I think most people like to play their own characters.
Also, as much as I like making them, I can't really summon the effort if they're not for a game. :smallfrown:

Jokasti
2011-02-09, 03:46 PM
Y'know, someone could make a thread like "Exalted Character Repository", for people to just make and post characters, and have them linked in the first post organized by type, caste, and experience points.

We could set some sort of guideline like:

CharGen

50xp

100xp

150xp

200xp

300xp

500xp

>500xp

Then, that could be a home for all the characters we'll never get a chance to personally play. And then, prospective Storytellers, either in meatspace, or in PbP games could pick them up as NPCs, or players who aren't feeling a lot of inspiration could peruse and either use one to inspire a new character for a game, or steal it wholesale.

There could even be...!

Wait. I think I'll just go make this thread.

Great idea, I'll link to it in the first post.

SurlySeraph
2011-02-09, 04:07 PM

I'm avoiding PbP games for the time being (because my work load always jump-spasms or I lose Internet access for two weeks or some damn thing and I have to quit), so I have a fair number of characters I don't expect to play, so I'm very happy to see this idea. I'll go put a couple up on that thread now.

And also link it, for anyone who doesn't see it on the main page. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=10340367#post10340367)

Xefas
2011-02-09, 04:34 PM
Great idea, I'll link to it in the first post.

Awesome.

I'm avoiding PbP games for the time being (because my work load always jump-spasms or I lose Internet access for two weeks or some damn thing and I have to quit), so I have a fair number of characters I don't expect to play, so I'm very happy to see this idea. I'll go put a couple up on that thread now.

And also link it, for anyone who doesn't see it on the main page. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=10340367#post10340367)

Glad to know the idea is of interest. :smallsmile: I also put a link in my sig.

Also, does anyone have a copy of all those character sheets that are typically used in the PbP forum? I'd like to post them in the first post of the repository.

Jokasti
2011-02-09, 04:41 PM
Awesome.

Glad to know the idea is of interest. :smallsmile: I also put a link in my sig.

Also, does anyone have a copy of all those character sheets that are typically used in the PbP forum? I'd like to post them in the first post of the repository.

They're in the first post as well.

Xefas
2011-02-09, 04:43 PM
They're in the first post as well.

Oh crap. That first post is really useful.

Jokasti
2011-02-09, 04:44 PM
Oh crap. That first post is really useful.

I'm trying to make it that way, yup.

ShadowFighter15
2011-02-09, 06:09 PM

Okay, changes made. Didn't touch the last column though since I don't know what their preference is. So anyone who's posted a table, can you find your entry on the one below and let me know - either here or via PM - what to change that last column to. Like Jokashi said; it should be one of the types in the Storytelling chapter of the core book. I assume "Just about anything" and variants thereof are still a valid entries?

Some of the ST entries have been changed just to an asterisk, if you see that in your row, let me know what you want in there. It's a yes, no or maybe answer to "Are you willing to be a Storyteller?" If you've STed before but aren't willing to do it again, then your answer would be a No.

ShadowFighter15|No|Yes|Lunar|Alchemical|D-B|Just about anything

Lix Lorn|*|Yes|Solar|D-B|Alchemical|Just about anything, evil only rarely

Sanguine|*|Yes|Infernal|Alchemical|Lunar|Anything and everything.

Skybound Fencer|*|Yes|Lunar|D-B|Solar|Anything

Mikal|*|Yes|Solar|Solar|Infernal|Openrpg or maybe MiRC. PbP can DIAF

tonberrian|No|Yes|Infernals|Fixed Sidereals|Alchemicals|One I'm in

The Rose Dragon|Maybe|Yes|Abyssals (and DK)|Solars|Sidereals|Sandbox, kingdom-building, whatever

Drascin|*|Yes|Alchemicals|D-B, Fae|Everything not Abyssal|Up for anything not completely grimdark

IcarusWings|*|Yes|Alchemicals|DK|D-B|Any

a humble lich|Maybe|Yes|Sidereals|Lunars|D/God-Blooded|Any

Vegetalss4|Maybe|Yes|Alchemicals|D-B, Infernals|Everything else|any

Weimann|*|*|D-B|Alchemicals|I dunno|The lasting type

DCGFTW|No|Yes|Alchemicals|Infernals|Dragon Kings?|The kind with Alchemicals :3

Weimann, I had to change your Player column to an asterisk as well because "In particular cases" isn't an answer to a yes or no question.

Skybound Fencer
2011-02-09, 06:16 PM
In that case, put me up as a Maybe, please.

Jokasti
2011-02-09, 06:20 PM
Here's mine.

Jokasti|Yes|Yes|Infernals/Solars|Alchemicals|Fixed Sidereals|Any

Tavar
2011-02-09, 06:34 PM
Huh. Maybe I should post my own info.

Tavar|Yes|Yes|Lunars|Solars|Godblooded?|Any

Lord Raziere
2011-02-09, 06:45 PM
so I recently found out that dragon-Bloods were way weaker than I previously thought and that the teamwork thing wasn't optional and was actually needed for survival.
for most of my dragon-blood concepts this is ok, since they are smart enough to stay and work in the group or otherwise use their head.

except one. a Valor 5, Temperance 1 Air aspect who would stop at nothing to protect his sister see? problem is his sister became Solar, the guys older bro was an Earth Immaculate, the Air Aspect sort of took his sisters side despite all that "Anathema are possessed demons" propaganda cause he is rebellious and stubborn, duked it out and now he is this lone rebel guy trying to find his sister against all odds and everything standing in his way.

and basically from what I gathered, said Air Aspect would basically be committing suicide every time he charged into battle against Celestial Exalts where I thought previously he would only be slightly committing suicide by attacking celestial Exalts, not complete suicide as I was informed.

so my question is: should I change his Exalt type to something more fitting for his character? cause he isn't supposed to be a guy that relies on teamwork that is not the character concept, he is more supposed to a reckless martial artist who kills anyone who harms his sister type of deal.

Urpriest
2011-02-09, 06:52 PM
Do you expect to fight Celestial Tier Exalted? There are only, what, a few hundred of them? If it's a Dragonblood focused game then I don't see the problem.

Xefas
2011-02-09, 06:58 PM
Do you expect to fight Celestial Tier Exalted? There are only, what, a few hundred of them? If it's a Dragonblood focused game then I don't see the problem.

From what I've gathered from Exalted's version of optimization threads, even a party of Godbloods or Terrestrials is expected to face 4-5 full circles of Celestial Exalts every day.

Jokasti
2011-02-09, 07:01 PM
From what I've gathered from Exalted's version of optimization threads, even a party of Godbloods or Terrestrials is expected to face 4-5 full circles of Celestial Exalts every day.
Only with Paranoia combat...

Lord Raziere
2011-02-09, 07:05 PM

I don't plan my characters for any specific game, I just make them. The point of his character is that he looks at all the super-powerful gods and demigods, including the Solars and tells them "Screw you." and he doesn't fit the Solar mold himself, cause he isn't supposed to be shiny and magnificent, he is supposed to recklessly charge into whatever danger he is facing, to make people go "dude are you crazy!? stop it your going to get yourself killed!" then somehow walk out of things alive that were supposed to have killed him,

Solars....its too expected of them to do that stuff he would only come off as jerk if he were a Solar- cause he'd keep telling the people who are inspired by him "shut up fanboy, go away."

a_humble_lich
2011-02-09, 07:07 PM
But for real Paranoia combat you have 6 clones, so when your fellow players decided/discover you're a traitorous commie scum who wants to destroy the Computer, you only die once and you still have 5 more clones.

Jokasti
2011-02-09, 07:09 PM
I don't plan my characters for any specific game, I just make them. The point of his character is that he looks at all the super-powerful gods and demigods, including the Solars and tells them "Screw you." and he doesn't fit the Solar mold himself, cause he isn't supposed to be shiny and magnificent, he is supposed to recklessly charge into whatever danger he is facing, to make people go "dude are you crazy!? stop it your going to get yourself killed!" then somehow walk out of things alive that were supposed to have killed him,

Solars....its too expected of them to do that stuff he would only come off as jerk if he were a Solar- cause he'd keep telling the people who are inspired by him "shut up fanboy, go away."

Slayer Infernal, basically.

Kyeudo
2011-02-09, 07:21 PM

Sounds like a Solar to me. I actually played a reckless charachter for a while. It was fun just throwing caution to the wind and charging in. Luckily, he was a Solar and could back it up. Still, I think I caused the Sidereal in the party no end of trouble, as she had to plan around me always taking the "square peg round hole" aproach.

Xefas
2011-02-09, 07:25 PM
Only with Paranoia combat...

Right. Also, Exalts always use their ultimate cosmic power for Dodge charms or stabbing things. They never act like I would and develop stuff like:

Badonkadonk Slapping Maelstrom Protocol
Cost: 5m ; Mins: Essence 3; Type: Simple
Keywords: Combo-OK, Blasphemy
Duration: Instant
Prerequisite Charms: Mind-Hand Manipulation

There is nothing the Principle of Hierarchy loves more than perfection. Perfection, like a perfectly round, pert - oh god; and then she realized, with horror, the folly of opening her charm set to a horde of demonically tainted low-lives who are, on their best day, only deeply unsettling in their unbalanced mental state.

By first conjuring a font of pyrian essence via a little jig involving pelvic thrusts and faux-slaps aimed low into the air, the Infernal then releases the stored energy in a massive storm of power that covers a full mile radius around him, visibly distorting the air as it does so.

All throughout, localized fluctuations in the fabric of Creation manifest, slapping the asses of all women that are caught in the area of effect. Moments later, a rushing sound reminiscent of chiming crystal bells flows past, proclaiming "Dat Assssssss".

Jokasti
2011-02-09, 07:28 PM
Right. Also, Exalts always use their ultimate cosmic power for Dodge charms or stabbing things. They never act like I would and develop stuff like:

Keywords: Combo-OK

There is nothing the Principle of Hierarchy loves more than perfection. Perfection, like a perfectly round, pert - oh god; and then she realized, with horror, the folly of opening her charm set to a horde of demonically tainted low-lives who are, on their best day, only deeply unsettling in their unbalanced mental state.

By first conjuring a font of pyrian essence via a little jig involving pelvic thrusts and faux-slaps aimed low into the air, the Infernal then releases the stored energy in a massive storm of power that covers a full mile radius around him, visibly distorting the air as it does so.

All throughout, localized fluctuations in the fabric of Creation manifest, slapping the asses of all women that are caught in the area of effect. Moments later, a rushing sound reminiscent of chiming crystal bells flows past, proclaiming "Dat Assssssss".
it's....it's beautiful...
sounds more adorjani than pyrian imo though except for the sound effect

Guancyto
2011-02-09, 07:30 PM
:smallamused:

The best part is, the only way She Who Lives in Her Name could get rid of that charm for herself would be convincing another GSP to learn it and then create a permanent charm to enhance/alter its effects.

YOU LEARNED IT, YOU CAN'T UNLEARN IT!

Teln
2011-02-09, 07:33 PM
I'm lucky the library doesn't allow drinks, otherwise there'd be water all over my screen.

Lord Raziere
2011-02-09, 07:42 PM
Slayer Infernal, basically.

.........ok, that would work.

which means now I have to actually get the dang Manual for them.

simply have it so that he never exalted into Dragon-Blooded, tries to defend sister anyways from brother, gets beaten easily but survives just barely, and whatever demon that comes along for some reason offers the deal even though he never got outdone by a Solar, which seems to be the only flaw in that. :smallconfused:

Jokasti
2011-02-09, 07:43 PM
Keywords: Combo-OK, Blasphemy

Eyesight Improving Apparation
Cost: 5m Mins: Essence 4; Type: Simple
Keywords: Combo-Basic, Blasphemy
Duration: 1 scene
Prerequisite Charms: Badonkadonk Slapping Maelstrom Protocol

The Principle of Hierarchy does not have time to search through her pockets to find every little knick knack she has need of. Nor does she end sentences in prepositional phrases, but this author is only human, and thus imperfect. With this charm, a pair of vitriolic glasses appear on the Infernal's face.
While this charm is in effect, the Infernal cannot be dazed by light. At Essence 6, all charms with the Holy keyword lose that keyword while targeting the Infernal.
The Infernal must bite his lower lip with his teeth and cannot speak while this charm is in effect.

Xefas
2011-02-09, 07:58 PM

The Principle of Hierarchy does not have time to search through her pockets to find every little knick knack she has need of. Nor does she end sentences in prepositional phrases, but this author is only human, and thus imperfect. With this charm, a pair of vitriolic glasses appear on the Infernal's face.
While this charm is in effect, the Infernal cannot be dazed by light. At Essence 6, all charms with the Holy keyword lose that keyword while targeting the Infernal.
The Infernal must bite his lower lip with his teeth and cannot speak while this charm is in effect.

http://i925.photobucket.com/albums/ad91/bluejanus/SwillnDatAss.png

Jokasti
2011-02-09, 08:01 PM
http://i925.photobucket.com/albums/ad91/bluejanus/SwillnDatAss.png

Why do these orbs not contain flames?! You have been demoted, citizen!
(it's awesome!)

Arcanoi
2011-02-09, 08:09 PM
At Essence 6, all charms with the Holy keyword lose that keyword while targeting the Infernal.

No. Not ever. Not even as a joke.

Primal Fury
2011-02-09, 08:18 PM

Why would you insult the Principle of Hierarchy in such a way? What did She ever do to you? :smallfrown:

Teln
2011-02-09, 08:20 PM
*snipimage*

Homestuck reference?

golentan
2011-02-09, 09:02 PM

Why do you keep trying to make me see this http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh274/JGoldfarb/SWLIHN.jpg
as this
http://www.cosplayhouse.com/images/D/Melancholy_of_Haruhi_Suzumiya_Yuki_Nagato_wig_ver_ 01-3-03.jpg

And why do I like it so much?

Jokasti
2011-02-09, 09:03 PM
Why do you keep trying to make me see this http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh274/JGoldfarb/SWLIHN.jpg
as this
http://www.cosplayhouse.com/images/D/Melancholy_of_Haruhi_Suzumiya_Yuki_Nagato_wig_ver_ 01-3-03.jpg

I... don't know who that is....

Primal Fury
2011-02-09, 09:10 PM
as this

You don't know? That's Her humaniform jouten. I thought everyone knew that. :smallconfused:

golentan
2011-02-09, 09:16 PM
You don't know? That's Her humaniform jouten. I thought everyone knew that. :smallconfused:

That's Yuki Nagato from The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya.

Edit: Sorry, that was supposed to be directed at Jokasti's comment.

And I know that's the joke, hence the invocation.

Jokasti
2011-02-09, 09:24 PM
That's Yuki Nagato from The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya.

Edit: Sorry, that was supposed to be directed at Jokasti's comment.

And I know that's the joke, hence the invocation.

He or she is very cute, then.

tonberrian
2011-02-09, 10:00 PM
He or she is very cute, then.

She.

And really, any Defiler worth his salt is going to come up with an upgrade to Badonkadonk Slapping Maelstrom Protocol to shape up those perfect assets.

meschlum
2011-02-09, 11:34 PM
Ahem.

As I appear to have been assigned a part (which I'm not actually opposed to), it seems it's time to pull out the... interesting options. namely, the Fair Folk response to the swhlihn charms above. It's barely above starting level character ability (and can be hacked so it is possible at chargen, but never mind).

The Blessing of Bountiful Assets

When the Raksha ponder the great tracts of land that can found in creation, the urge to get to know them better is nigh irresistible. The Blessing draws on the Cup to form and reveal the wonder that lies beneath, sharing the wealth so that all who come within its embrace may partake.

When this potent Oneiromancy is activated, the Creation-born in its reach are changed, filled with new appetites and an itch that only others can scratch in a fully satisfying manner. Minor things like body plans and inhibitions are cast aside, as the Blessing grants the need and ability to go on and on and on...

5-dot Oneiromancy
- Assumption of the Living Kingdom (area of effect is huge)
- Assumption of Dreams and Passion (Lust. Infuses its entire reach)
- Mad God Mien (no dispelling this baby)
- Heart Stealing Kiss (consumes the Temperance of the first person in any scene to refuse to... 'indulge')
- Manacles of Virtue (significantly increases the Compassion of those in its area of effect, so they'll be more inclined to show... 'kindness' to anyone (and anything) they meet who is in 'need', and agree to any... 'unusual' requests)
- Bestial Transformation (rabbits? Change gender to female, increase fertility, remove inhibitions, Attribute (and mass) Reallocation towards Appearance and Stamina...)

If the GM does not allow Bestial Transformation, use Behemoth Forging Meditation instead. You get more mutation points that way, but can't affect Exalts, gods, and so forth.

If the GM is amused, ask for (custom) Emotional Transformation, as it fits the theme exactly and removes the issue of everyone believing they are surrounded by really hot (female) bunnies.

Sharing Da Man

This powerful Adjuration is the peak of the response to the Bountiful Assets, rising to the occasion to join all those who desire the Raksha's Staff. The Fair Folk sworn to it is spread over the entire extent of the Assets, contributing to everyone's fun.

5-dot Adjuration
- Assumption of the Living Kingdom (be everywhere, but only aware and 'contributing' when others are... closely involved)
- Surpassing Excellence (+2 dice when 'performing')
- Assumption of Bestial Form (octopus. Take tentacles, extra stamina, some Size... you'll need them all)

When these two artifacts are combined, one can expect a massive population boom in (maybe less than) nine months, all of them feyblooded.

Arcanoi
2011-02-10, 01:51 AM
~winsnip~

I APPROVE OF THIS.

Drascin
2011-02-10, 02:32 AM

I'd actually have said they're on complete opposites of the "emotionless" spectrum, myself.

Weimann
2011-02-10, 03:16 PM
Quick note: the new White Wolf forum is up. So far it's very white. Yet to see any wolf.

tonberrian
2011-02-10, 03:29 PM
Quick note: the new White Wolf forum is up. So far it's very white. Yet to see any wolf.

I saw Demetrius - he's got the wolf.

Weimann
2011-02-10, 03:36 PM
Ah yes. Then all is well.

Except it's too god damn white. Stings my eyes.

Edit: You aren't allowed put formatting in your signatures? >:O

Edit 2: I do like the more BBcode friendly poster interface, though. Much better.

tonberrian
2011-02-10, 03:49 PM
I'm hoping we eventually get a way to change the style. I miss the older color style - this white is very annoying.

TheCountAlucard
2011-02-10, 03:54 PM
Can someone provide me with some assistance? :smallconfused:

I've determined that on Saturday's game (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=185526), I'm going to take advantage of my group's character flaws: namely, the fact that two of them are Known Anathema. This'll probably mean having the Wyld Hunt drop in to say "hello." :smalltongue:

The troublesome part is, I've never really built a Terrestrial before. :smallredface: I don't even really know that much about the Wyld Hunt.

So first of all, how would they respond? An "informant" made it known to them that there are at least two Anathema in the village, maybe more; how would the Wyld Hunt proceed in this situation?

Second of all, how powerful should I make them with respect to the PCs? Let's face it - since there's seven combat-oriented Celestial Exalts, the Wyld Hunt will probably get stomped pretty hard unless I resort to the mass combat rules (which I intend to avoid like the plague during this game)... but still, I'd like the fight to be interesting. I just don't want to do like our last ST eventually did, and throw more Essence 6+ Terrestrials than Creation likely has to offer at the circle in one fight. :smallannoyed:

a_humble_lich
2011-02-10, 04:15 PM
the plague during this game)... but still, I'd like the fight to be interesting. I just don't want to do like our last ST eventually did, and throw more Essence 6+ Terrestrials than Creation likely has to offer at the circle in one fight. :smallannoyed:

I don't know, there are a lot of essence 6 Terrestrials. Remember they live for 300 years or so, any you only have to reach 100 to get essence 6. I think fair arguments can be made that by cannon most Terrestrials should be Essence 6.

Weimann
2011-02-10, 04:23 PM
I think fair arguments can be made that by cannon most Terrestrials should be Essence 6.*eye-twitch, points at sig*

That out of the way, I think I agree. There should be a load of Essence 6 Terrestrials running around.

As for tactics, I'm not sure. They would likely try to attack the Celestials on their own, preferably all at the same time (but not the same place, that is) so that none of them can warn the others. That's not so fun to play, though; it gets very sequential.

Still, 7 Celestials are sure to mandate the best the Realm has to offer, and certainly an army if you used the system. So don't be afraid to toss some pain their way.

TheCountAlucard
2011-02-10, 04:25 PM
I don't know, there are a lot of essence 6 Terrestrials. Remember they live for 300 years or so, any you only have to reach 100 to get essence 6. I think fair arguments can be made that by cannon most Terrestrials should be Essence 6.Still, it's been pointed out in the books that even for people with huge lifespans, raising your Essence is kind of a big thing; most Immaculates of even the proper age don't raise it that high without serious adjustments to their very lifestyle.

I'd also like to point out that Terrestrials aren't really that common; there's less than a hundred thousand of them in all of Creation - heck, the South book goes entire chapters without naming any.

DragonSinged
2011-02-10, 04:30 PM
But, at the same time, if you're playing a standard Exalted game, 5 years after the Scarlett Empress disappeared and all, most of the more powerful Terrestrials are supposed to be kind of dodging Wyld Hunt duty in order to lend their strength to their houses schemes and whatnot, if I understand correctly. Also, not to mention, like he said, only 2 of the characters are Known Anathema, not all 7, so they wouldn't necessarily be throwing in the whole army.

Also, @TheCountAlucard, it sounds like you're in a situation where you're going to have to be careful not to turn the game into an arms race. Your players are all combat oriented, and from what I've read of your posts, at least one or two are toting grand whatevers, right? So just bear in mind that although they can dish out the pain, that doesn't necessarily mean that they can take the pain themselves, without dying horrible squishy deaths.

a_humble_lich
2011-02-10, 04:32 PM
*eye-twitch, points at sig*

:smallredface:

DragonSinged
2011-02-11, 04:46 AM
So!

My group has played a few sessions of Exalted now.. We're maybe 5 sessions in? 4 or 5.

Anyways, one the players in the group is playing an Eclipse Caste, ah... sort of a Shaman? Her character learned about what she was (that she was a Solar, that is) from the Tree God of her Tree village (in the east, if that wasn't clear). In exchange, the God sent her to close a Shadowland.

Anyways, she's having a bit of a problem, as, this being her first game of Exalted and all, she didn't really take any combat charms at character creation.

In addition, she took high Martial Arts (her character has 5 dots), thinking I guess that Martial Arts charms would be about as simple to take as, say, Melee charms. Now we've got access to most of the books, but a lot of us don't know much about things like the various martial arts and whatnot, and so she asked me to see if you guys might be able to suggest a decently balanced martial art style with fluff that might fit her character, at least somewhat. I had seen someone mentioning "Sapphire Veil of Passion" or whatever a couple pages back, and we looked at that, but the fluff on it really doesn't fit her character at all. That's not a huge deal, of course, but we thought we'd see if you guys had any suggestions.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! :smallbiggrin:

EDIT:
The weapons she is using by the way, are some sort of artifact gauntlet with retractable claws, and the middle claw on each gauntlet is also a projectile on a chain? If you guys need more details than that, I can find out the name of the gauntlets or any other details that would help when I talk to her tomorrow.

Reynard
2011-02-11, 04:53 AM
So!

My group has played a few sessions of Exalted now.. We're maybe 5 sessions in? 4 or 5.

Anyways, one the players in the group is playing an Eclipse Caste, ah... sort of a Shaman? Her character learned about what she was (that she was a Solar, that is) from the Tree God of her Tree village (in the east, if that wasn't clear). In exchange, the God sent her to close a Shadowland.

Anyways, she's having a bit of a problem, as, this being her first game of Exalted and all, she didn't really take any combat charms at character creation.

In addition, she took high Martial Arts (her character has 5 dots), thinking I guess that Martial Arts charms would be about as simple to take as, say, Melee charms. Now we've got access to most of the books, but a lot of us don't know much about things like the various martial arts and whatnot, and so she asked me to see if you guys might be able to suggest a decently balanced martial art style with fluff that might fit her character, at least somewhat. I had seen someone mentioning "Sapphire Veil of Passion" or whatever a couple pages back, and we looked at that, but the fluff on it really doesn't fit her character at all. That's not a huge deal, of course, but we thought we'd see if you guys had any suggestions.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! :smallbiggrin:

If she can find a teacher (Five Days Darkness is an excellent stand by), one of the Immaculate styles could work for her. Wood, Water or Air could be a good fit from the sounds of her character, though Wood is less useful when you're alone.

EDIT: Response to Edit: Water Dragon Style uses those as Form Weapons.

Alucard: A small Sworn Brotherhood of Immaculates would be a likely choice to be sent, say around 4-5 members at essence 4. You could do one of each aspect, though don't expect great results from the Earth DB.