PDA

View Full Version : The Ones Left Behind IC

Ajadea
2011-01-18, 08:48 PM
Your stories are disparate, as are your abilities. Your lives, up till this point, barely touching. Your masters share far more similarities than who they have left behind. Each is unique, powerful, dangerous. Each is dead, by the same group of murderers. Murderers you have searched for in your own ways.

Your paths led you here. The twin cities of Caer Magharthe and Caer Denaan. One above the earth, one below. One spinning in imitation of the mortal sky, one fixed in a mockery of the Nine Hells. One open and welcoming, one closed and forbidding. The murderers are here, somewhere. They are ready...are you?

You are in the Sixth Tier of Caer Denaan. While the three tiers above you are for traders or housing, this one is dedicated solely to knowledge. It is a library and museum, filled with artifacts from the end of the earth, spellwork in languages long forgotten, histories being written by enchanted quills in dark rooms...

It is in one of those dark rooms that you are hidden away. It was blocked off hundreds of years before with a bookshelf. It is accessible only barely through the hole in the wall behind it. The larger members of your motley group are only barely able to enter.

The whole room is maybe twelve feet long, eight feet high, and seven feet wide. When you enter, it seems much shorter than it is, as the entrance is under a chipped redwood table.

The stone walls, the table, and the cracked floor tiles are all covered in the mad half-legible writings of a tattered griffon-feather quill that lies twitching in the opposite corner next to a skeleton, sans femur. The skull of the skeleton is broken. All is covered in a thin layer of dust. The only light comes from a shapeless rock, glowing with cold purple flame.

A yellowed scroll of parchment lies open on the table. hanging off the edge and brushing the floor. Scribbled words cross the parchment at odd angles. Bits of glass are scattered across the floor, centered around a black stain. A frayed string hangs from the ceiling.
---
Here you may plot, plan, and rest. You have two metropolises to search and plans to make. Declare a leader, decide on your plans, or just renovate this place. Do you really want to sleep in the same room as a skeleton?

Chained Birds
2011-01-18, 10:35 PM
X-0113 (Elio)

A crystal with a spider-like shape, no bigger than a human hand, seems to announce something with a logical voice;

“Meeting, code 01291T, commencing after attendance has been confirmed. I, Attendant X-0113 also know by the name Elio, am accounted for. Other available members, please state your names for the record.”

vikingofdoom
2011-01-18, 10:55 PM
Andle Strom:

A crystal about the size of a toad, though with a dome-shaped body instead of normal appearance, observes the group assembled before announcing in a confident and assertive voice:

"My name is Andle Strom. I suggest that we use a more secure form of communication instead of talking and use telepathy."

While saying this, an odd pattern of flashes start to radiate along his body.

Super_Fluous
2011-01-18, 11:20 PM
Luma

A small green-grey snake with a patchwork appearance unfurls himself from the corner and sighs. This place is much too dry, and he misses the sanctity of his former castle. He eyes the odd crystalline entities with a mix of suspicion and regret.

But now is not the time to wallow, there is work to be done.

"The humans shall not understand us, so long as we speak in the tongue of beasts. Now, as I understand we have similar enemies. So long as we work together, we may establish mutual goes."

He pauses and adds,

"You may refer to be as Luma."

userpay
2011-01-18, 11:49 PM
*Twip*Twip*Twip*

The restless tail, belonging a orange and white striped cat that lay next to the table, almost seemed intent on batting the dust away from the female. Bored, and maybe slightly irritated expression on her face, she'd been examining the paper that lay upon the table when some of the others in the room spoke. Lazily she eyes the molty group. "I am called Sarus, I've an associate that awaits outside the building as... well he isn't quite so inconspicuous as we. Nor do I think he could fit in here." A glance is given to the room itself "I seriously doubt than any will notice us here so long as we don't raise our voices though."

Grendus
2011-01-19, 12:13 AM
Edgar glances up from where he had been watching his own psicrystal skittering across the table. "Even if they did, what would they think? A mad conspiracy of animals sneaking around the library? Creatures such as ourselves aren't supposed to exist. Technically, we can't exist." He returns to watching the crystal, which was quietly throwing items off the table at random and dusting with the tattered griffin quill.

He muses for what feels like an eternity in his mind, though only a few moments pass in real life. "I wonder if that man was a wizard in life," he asks suddenly, gesturing towards the skeleton in the corner. "Wizards. That's the answer." He flutters over to the skeleton, landing on it's remaining femur. "Humans will not talk to us, but the various familiars and psicrystals of the city might. Whoever performed these acts must have some great power - my mistress protected herself with powerful wards, and I suspect yours did the same. Someone with that much power must be known to those of magic within the city. And familiars wouldn't think it so unlikely that another familiar would seek contact. Life as a glorified magical pet can be lonesome."

vikingofdoom
2011-01-19, 12:23 AM
Andle:

Andle sighs wearily and then moves to examine the parchment, claws skittering across the stone floor, all the while regretfully stating
"Pehaps your right that we're safe here. It is entirely possible that I am merely being overly paranoid about what our enemies can accomplish. However, should we really be underestimating the murderers of our masters can do? I still suggest that, at least at first, we should maintain psychic contact when at all possible."

Chained Birds
2011-01-19, 08:22 AM
X-0113 (Elio)

"Mr. avian, please state your name for the record."

The psicrystal asks in a similar manner as before. It seems to stare at the Raven through the red gems on its face, even though it has no eyes.

Grendus
2011-01-19, 10:07 AM
"Call me Edgar," he says, eyes still watching his psicrystal, which had moved to the floor and begun to drag pieces of glass over to the corner. "In the time... between my mistresses death and the coming of knowledge, I forgot my name, but when I... awoke, my current owners called me that. It's as close to a name as I have."

Chained Birds
2011-01-19, 10:33 AM
X-0113 (Elio)

The red gems on the front of its face light up in a randomized pattern.

“Acknowledged; the course of this meeting should be focused on what actions we should take. Priority One: stealth; Priority Two: Reconnaissance. Generating question… which city should be our main focal point? Investigation has pointed towards the 9th ring of Caer Magharthe; however, information may prove inaccurate.”

Noblesse
2011-01-19, 06:11 PM
Rex of Erillius (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=268070)

From the corner of the room a dark ash lizard walks pridefully forward. "Yes. Caer Magharthe would be a good place to start, and I believe, Edgar was it?, had a good idea with the familiars. However. Know that the murderer's most likely had control of some powerful magiks in order to commit their atrocities... And if they have familiars, they might not take so kindly to our mission." He paces throughout while he speaks. "The name... is Rex of Erillius"

Chained Birds
2011-01-19, 06:33 PM
X-0113 (Elio)

“Mr. Rex speaks of some truths, but it would be appreciated if he makes his presence known before the conversation has started.”

The crystal’s red gems blink as before. Elio seemed surprised by Rex’s sudden appearance into the conversation, as it was unaware of the lizard's attendance until now.

“Your name is now registered as a participant of meeting, code 01291T.

Response: familiars are bountiful in either city, chances of finding the familiar or companion of the murderers in question is 0.0173%. Note: calculation if but an estimate.”

Grendus
2011-01-20, 09:11 AM
"And if we do find their familiars... well, it would be a good way to let them know the pain they inflicted," Edgar comments, though he sounds halfhearted at best. Justice was one thing, this person had caused a lot of agony for little or no reason. Revenge... petty revenge would do nothing but make sure everybody was miserable. An eye for an eye was a good concept for a judicial system, but when applied personally just ended up with everybody blind.

userpay
2011-01-20, 11:36 AM
"So in all honesty we have little to go on other than to spread out and listen in." Sarus gives into a nice loooong stretch. "Or does anyone else have other ideas?"

Noblesse
2011-01-20, 05:52 PM
Rex

"Unfortunately that's probably about all we can do until we can find more information. So shall we spread out and meet back here at a designated time? It should go unsaid to make all due caution that no one suspects you, nor follows you back here."

vikingofdoom
2011-01-20, 08:03 PM
Andle:

I believe that I shall stay behind to try and tidy up this room, as well as see if I can obtain any ink, a quill to write with, and paper so that we can record anything that we discover.

Chained Birds
2011-01-20, 10:47 PM
X-0113 (Elio)

"Recommendation: each member travels in no less than a group of two. Preferably, the members should complement each other’s skills and abilities."

It seems to scan the groups, waiting to hear if anyone has any complaints about its idea.

userpay
2011-01-21, 01:04 AM
Sarus rolls her shoulders in a shrug. "I've no complaint, though anyone that travels with me best be ready to put up with my... wolfish friend."

Super_Fluous
2011-01-21, 05:02 PM
Luma looks at the cat and rolls his head to the side, in his equivalent of a shrug, "I have no complaints. Shall we be off, then?"

Grendus
2011-01-22, 09:13 PM
Edgar flutters his wings. "Sounds good to me. I think I'll let Shiny stay here and help clean the room, he seems to be enjoying it." Below the table, the psicrystal was busily gathering the glass shards and tattered papers and arranging them against the far wall, organized by type of material and well out of the way of everybody else. "I can carry a passenger, assuming they're light, which means anybody but Saurus... unless you think a raven carrying a cat would be inconspicuous."

Chained Birds
2011-01-22, 09:42 PM
X-0113 (Elio)

"Response: no… but as a raven, carrying a glimmered object would not be an uncommon sight. Suggestion: I’ll join you, for purposes of pairing due to the information granted in my previous statement."

vikingofdoom
2011-01-22, 11:18 PM
Andle:

Whomever decides to go with me should be aware that my goal for this trip will be to pick up supplies that we will need. I currently calculate that we need 30 pieces of parchment, 3 oz. of ink, and one ink pen. If any of you have anything else for me to purchase, please place your request before I leave. Edgar, I agree that we should leave our psicrystals behind to tidy up this space before we return. We should not have to live in such untidy accommodation.

Noblesse
2011-01-22, 11:32 PM
Rex
"I'll join you, Andle. Back with Erillius we would often be able to gather requisite information from various venders. Granted, we may have a bit of difficulty, as it's doubtful we can steer the conversations where we'd like, given our forms..." Closing his eyes Rex thinks back to his former glory; and a scowl, if one was possible on a lizard, appeared across his face. I MUST return...

Ajadea
2011-01-25, 01:40 AM
Ok, that's it. Moving on now...
---
You leave the room, and head your seperate ways. No one seems to care that there are animals wandering the city, a testament to the ubiquity of magic here.
---
Edgar and Elio

You leave Caer Denaan, and Edgar flies the two of you up to Caer Magharthe. You are over a mile above the ground, and you can see for many times that distance, catching glimpses of the plains in the distance, the mountains beyond. Groups of tiny brown dots might be cities scattered across the world.

But the breathtaking view is not why you're here.

You can see wizards and their familiars, chained quasits and pseudodragons and owls fluttering around their heads, carrying on wild conversations in secret languages no one else will ever understand. There are psions with psicrystals in all the hues of the rainbow, all sorts of shapes and mannerisms, not even needing words to know what the other says. A few familiars roam alone, bags for or from their masters in their front paws or teeth or taloned feet. They pay you no mind, or so it seems.

You land on a small stone platform jutting out between the bridges to the second and third Circles. Four glaive-wielding guards wearing Caer Magharthe's symbol (a white hand with fingers spread on a purple background, with yellow orbs above each fingertip) on their tabards stand on either side of the bridge into Caer Magharthe, checking in those who dare to enter.

Sarus and Luma

Without the benefit of wings, you are forced to take the long way to Caer Magharthe, up through tier after tier of packed dirt and packed crowds, out across the hill. On the hill, there is a square marble building, 15 feet wide and just as tall, with a wide door on the side that faces you. It is the only way to access Caer Magharthe without the aid of flight or teleportation.

You can see six glaive-wielding guards wearing Caer Magharthe's symbol (a white hand with fingers spread on a purple background, with yellow orbs above each fingertip) on their tabards on patrol, and another stands at the doorway, briefly interrogating every individual that tries to enter.

Andle and Rex

You part ways with the rest of your group at the edge of the Ninth Tier, heading into the market, into packed crowds inside packed dirt buildings coated in whitewash in an attempt to not look like dirt. Advertisements are stuck on the whitewashed walls, trying to sell you pseudodragon eggs (only three remaining, contact Durah Earthshadow, Eighth Tier, North Whinnis Circle), a five-minute talk with the deceased (Dragnor Grimtooth, Fourth Tier, Onureth Road, make an appointment beforehand, please provide head), a plea to transport a party of five to Limbo (we pay in advance), and many others.

An elf plays the flute as his halfling companion dances with a kukri in each hand. The tempo picks up and the halfling becomes a blur of steel and silk. A swarthy human male in white robes and an androgynous illumian, sigils swirling, stand next to them, trying to sell blue dragon bits to anyone who is listening.

A blue oak treetop sticks out from the ground, and goblin children clamber around in its branches. There are as many stands for supposedly 'eclectic' items as there are for mundane items. A troglodyte serves dire rat, giant grasshopper pot pie and fried shrieker to go next to a halfling selling bread, cheese, and dried fruit from a stand. Neither seems to consider the other odd.

Grendus
2011-01-29, 06:37 PM
Could we just... fly over the guards?

Chained Birds
2011-01-29, 07:12 PM
X-0113 (Elio)

After realizing that flight is the best maneuver to avoid the guards, Elio complies with Edgar’s suggestion to simply fly over the many guard-posts to investigate the higher numbered circles.
At the raven’s discretion, Elio suggests that they should simply observe the people that exist in the 9th circle, and attempt to ascertain identities, powers, and/or pasts of the members they encounter. Learning simple things like that could help with the investigation and might open a link between one of the 9th circle characters and one of the deceased masters.

Assuming we are not halted by magical forces, Elio would suggest they attempt to hide their presence. But assuming that the higher circles would have defenses against avian invaders. If they are halted, then Elio would suggest that they head to the highest circle they could enter and plan out a strategy to proceed onwards.

Hide Check: [roll0]

Ajadea
2011-01-29, 07:51 PM
Edgar and Elio

You fly over the guards. One of them, a lithe half-elf, watches as you pass over his head, making a note on his pad and shaking his head.

Flying up to the Ninth Circle, however, does not work particularly well. It seems to be surrounded by a forcefield of some sort. A bluish-purple one, and touching it provokes a painful, if not particularly harmful, jolt.

Instead, you fly to the Eighth Circle. It seems to be largely unguarded, and you can see what looks like a mutant pegasus made from leather, steel and cheap crystal in the side courtyard that you have landed in. Part of its left flank is opened, revealing gears, pistons, and crystals that power the construct. Its right wing looks more like a bat's wing than anything else: leather stretched across thin metal poles, studded with quartz where it connects to the shoulder. Its left wing lies in a crumpled, torn, heap.

Its hooves are cloven for some reason, and its teeth seem more suited to that of a meat eating animal. Three mages work on it, hands and eyes glowing faintly with stored magic. One has her hand stuffed up the cavity in the mechanical pegasus's side, and another lies in the middle of a scattered mess of papers, finger tracing text you cannot see at the moment.

Noblesse
2011-01-29, 09:32 PM
Rex

Upon arriving to the market district Rex quietly suggests to his 'esteemed colleague' "Let's split up right here and try to gather as much information as possible, try to key in on people buying obscure things or asking for dangerous things while you are doing your shopping, I'll do the same. Let's meet back here in exactly one hour, unless you have any objections or alterations." At that, if his friend consents he would be off on his way to the various shops staying as much out of sight (and out of the way) as possible.

Listen: [roll0]
Gather Information :[roll1]
Hide: [roll2]

Super_Fluous
2011-01-29, 09:39 PM
Luma hisses to Sarus in a slightly rushed tone. "I shall cause a distraction, and then you sneak your way past. I shall meet you inside shortly after."

Chained Birds
2011-01-31, 10:27 PM
X-0113 (Elio)

"Comment: I've located a potential character who fits the profile. Suggestion: Sir Edgar should engage the unknown personnel as he created the idea. Plan: I'll remain cloaked over in quadrant T-09 until given a signal to either aid in combat with a strategic strike or hold off any hostile actions."

The crystal moves over to a wall around 30ft away from the potential cleric. He stops briefly,

"Secondary statement: The signal is 'flapping your wings twice and performing a low bird call'. Remember my location as a strategic retreat would be in order if the situation become hostile."

With that, he proceeds to the area mentioned.

Standard action: activate chameleon
- duration: 10minutes / effect: +10 to hide
Move action: travel to the location above
- Hide check: [roll0]
- Move Silently: [roll1]

userpay
2011-01-31, 11:16 PM
Sarus tilts her head towards where Luma lay a few feet away. "Well if you'd like. Daleus," She hissed in the wolf's general direction. "You stay out here away from trouble."

Ajadea
2011-01-31, 11:25 PM
Elio and Edgar

Elio's form shimmers as his chameleon power activates, making his color and general texture match the wall behind him. He scuttles over to the wall, seemingly unnoticed by the potential cleric or the crazy pegasus-making people.

vikingofdoom
2011-02-01, 09:46 PM
Andle:
I believe that we should aim to gather information while we are here. However, at the end of the hour we will still need to gain the neccessary supplies for our planning.

Super_Fluous
2011-02-01, 11:16 PM
Luma worms his way up to the guards. He announces his presence with a rattle of his tail, then lets out a loud hiss, baring his fangs.

Intimidate: [roll0]
Casting Cause Fear on the closest guard.

Grendus
2011-02-02, 12:16 PM
Edgar flutters from the wall over to a tree near the possible cleric and watches him closely before finally moving into eye line. "Greetings. I was wondering if you could assist me with something," Edgar says, cocking his head slightly in a raven-like expression.

Ajadea
2011-02-02, 12:36 PM
Sarus and Luma

Two guards flinch, and a third whirls around and dashes into the compound.

Edgar and Elio

The cleric looks up at you. "Who's familiar are you, now? I can't keep track of all the wizards here, let alone all their familiars and crystals and things."

Super_Fluous
2011-02-02, 01:52 PM
Luma turns and hisses to Sarus in the animal tongue, "Now! Go!"

userpay
2011-02-02, 02:36 PM
As the snake draws attention Sarus saunters her way towards and through the gate.
hide
[roll0]
[roll1]

Ajadea
2011-02-03, 03:25 PM
Sarus and Luma

Sarus gets past with ease; the guards seem to be paying more attention to the people trying to get through than the cat who just did.

Grendus
2011-02-04, 12:29 PM
Edgar cocked his head, trying to remember how he had acted when he was a familiar. He had been bright, smarter than his mistress and much smarter than... pretty much anyone else, actually. Now, though, now he bordered on genius.

"My mistress is indisposed at the moment. I come here on a matter of dire urgency. We're seeking an mage of incredible power, and evil. He has brought great suffering to a number of people, and we hope to bring him to justice, or some facsimile thereof." Lots of big words, signifying that he was a familiar of significant power (since his intellect had improved with his mistress's experience), and telling the truth on a technicality. Yep, that was how he had acted as a familiar.

Ajadea
2011-02-04, 01:53 PM
Edgar and Elio

The cleric's mouth drops open, and he quickly closes it again. "Well, there are certainly many powerful magi here. I am afraid I cannot help you beyond putting out a general warning. Magi are very difficult to catch, particularly ones of such power. Thank you for bringing this to our attention." He takes out what looks like a small blue cookie from his pocket, eats it in a bite, and jumps off the side of the circle. You can see him flying to the Seventh Circle.

Grendus
2011-02-04, 03:26 PM
Edgar turned and flew back to the wall where Elio was waiting. "He knew. He was scared, not scared enough to not give warning, but scared enough not to want to be involved. That's encouraging and discouraging at the same time. I think pursuing him would be a bad course of action though, if he was scared enough to run he could just as easily fight."

Super_Fluous
2011-02-04, 05:45 PM
Now that Sarus has made it through, Luma makes an effort to move out of sight.

Hide: [roll0]

Ajadea
2011-02-05, 12:45 AM
Luma

The guards don't seem to notice or care about your presence here.

Chained Birds
2011-02-05, 01:52 AM
X-0113 (Elio)

Elio remains in his camouflaged state,

“It would appear that our masters’ deaths have gone unnoticed to members of the 8th circle. Recommendation: investigate this matter further. Let us search for more characters to confirm this belief. ”

Elio scans around for any more characters that don’t appear too busy. As a former companion to a researcher and craftsman, Elio is well aware that people would become irritated if they are bothered with questions while working diligently.

Search: [roll0]
gather information: [roll1]
-searching for characters who fit the description above
Hide: [roll2]
Move silently: [roll3]
-trying to keep his presence as minor as possible

Ajadea
2011-02-05, 03:01 AM
Elio

You nearly get hit by a ray of frost in a mock duel you walked straight into, but on the plus side, you find a trio of apprentices who are bored enough to be playing what looks like some sort of demented cross between chess, dice, transmutation homework, and Three-Dragon Ante, and intelligent enough to understand what the heck they're doing.

Chained Birds
2011-02-05, 01:12 PM
X-0113 (Elio)

Elio approaches the three, but remains in his hidden form for now. After getting within ear shot of the three, he inspects them to determine what sort of mages they are. Mainly, he is trying to determine if these three might pose a threat even if they are just apprentices before Elio begins a conversation with them.

Hide check...again: [roll0]
Move silently...again: [roll1]

Ajadea
2011-02-05, 02:43 PM
Elio

They don't seem to see you. You can hear their conversation:
"I'm trying to think..so, I draw...and play my new Dragon Turtle...." He puts down a Three Dragon Ante card, and drops a few tokens into a pile.
"Dragon Turtle? Gods preserve..." He pulls out a gray turtle, turns it green, and hands it to the first guy, who puts it on the chessboard behind a heavyset guy in robes and a piece that is balanced like a dancer.
"Do not use the gods' names in vain. But you are right. Lucas, are you stacking the deck?" the female asks.
"Guess I'm just lucky. Dragon Turtle activates all the mortals within one square, so Emperor boosts the power of my Sorcerer by four. Sorcerer has the Ranged Attack special ability, so I can attack your Adventurer in E7. Now I roll and would you look at that. I hit, and 12 damage kills your Adventurer and destroys your fellowship. Pay up, Kendrick."
"Dammit," the second one, probably Kendrick, mutters, passing a handful of tokens to Lucas. Oh stop smirking. I can erase your essays, you know."

The girl is probably a cleric, judging by the holy symbol around her neck and her attitude towards the deities. Kendrick is the transmuter; you can see his name written on the side of one of the textbooks. Lucas...you're not sure, but he's got a weasel wrapped around his neck. The weasel itself has the muddled look of a weak, stupid, familiar, which means that Lucas himself can't be that strong, whatever he is.

Chained Birds
2011-02-05, 02:58 PM
X-0113 (Elio)

After hearing their…riveting conversation and determining that they are of little threat, Elio strikes a conversation with the three,

“Greeting apprentice magi, I speak to you three from the shadows as I prefer my existence be minor, for now. Question: how familiar are you three with the events that have transpired in the last few weeks?”

Elio tries to sound kindred and masks his usual metallic voice so as to ease the discomfort of engaging in a conversation with a hidden voice.

Diplomacy check: [roll0]
Hide check: [roll1]
Disguise check: [roll2]
- trying to disguise his metallic voice

Ajadea
2011-02-05, 03:12 PM
Sarus (and Luma, I think)

You enter the building. It seems like a marble box from the inside, its only unique or even remotely interesting feature being a runic circle, 5 feet in diameter, set into the middle of the floor. The lines and runes glow faintly with blue energy.

Elio

They don't look up, but Lucas shrugs, still smirking. "Depends. I'm fairly sure that Jenna here's got a boyfriend recently-hey!" The girl had slapped him with a thin textbook. "You should not tell baseless rumors, or anything else, to a construct that may or may not be malevolent."

"Some old lady died last month, I think. Current events aren't my forte. Why are you asking us, whatever you are?"

"It's probably a spark familiar, a psicrystal, or a runaway effigy. It's a small construct of some sort, anyways. No living being has a voice like that. The question still stands. Why do you care about a bunch of apprentices?"

Chained Birds
2011-02-05, 04:07 PM
X-0113 (Elio)

“Response: information is all I’ve got, and every piece helps. Also, as a construct my alignment is in a constant state of nuetrality and follows logic more than emotional responses. Question: as current events are not your forte, then might I ask if you know someone who might be well informed of the various occurrences in the magical community? Examples: an oracle, reporter, investigator, or someone who keeps track of the comings and goings of the various magi either here or in the higher circle.”

Longwinded as that was; Elio felt he would have better luck with other characters but would still enjoy some information regardless of its actually use.

Ajadea
2011-02-05, 05:28 PM
Elio

Kendrick opens his mouth, but the girl claps her hand over it before he can say anything. "What events do you want to know of, and why isn't your master here, poking around with you, if you're so concerned about information?"

Chained Birds
2011-02-05, 06:17 PM
X-0113 (Elio)

“Answer: master is out of reach, he wanted me to seek out information about certain events that transpired on the day he left. It was written in a note, slightly informal of him, but I seek to accomplish the task given to me in hopes that it will make him content. Remark: Why do you ask? I’m certain your masters task you with similar objectives.”

Grendus
2011-02-05, 08:01 PM
Edgar flutters down to the bush, joining the conversation. "Tell us, do you know how familiars grow more intelligent as their master grows more powerful? If we have grown intelligent enough hold this conversation, then clearly our masters are very powerful indeed, and busy. Regardless of whether or not they have trustworthy individuals in their employ, a familiars loyalty is absolute, and with their power we are strong enough to take care of ourselves, at least within the confines of this portion of the city."

"Suffice to say, our masters are deeply concerned with the suspicious deaths within the city - they worry it is part of a pattern or plot. We were tasked with gathering information that might be used to find out what, if anything, is behind this."

He flutters his wings, picking at a few out of place feathers and reorganizing them for proper flight. "If you don't know or can't trust us that's fine. We understand, few magi are courageous enough to risk their familiars and such out of the ordinary events are unsettling. However, if you could see fit to provide us with at least rumor, we would appreciate any assistance you could provide."

Ajadea
2011-02-05, 09:46 PM
Elio and Edgar

"You refer to the recent death of Ul'tear Xanadu? Yeah, I remember that. They've been looking into it. But you say deaths. Have other murders gone unreported?"

Super_Fluous
2011-02-05, 10:44 PM
Luma stares at the runes on the floor, curious as to their purpose.

Knowledge (Arcana): [roll0]
Spellcraft: [roll1]

Ajadea
2011-02-05, 11:26 PM
Luma

It's Old Draconic, written by someone who doesn't actually know Old Draconic. But you think it says 'teleportation circle', 'jumping home' or 'orb to meat'. Probably the first.

Grendus
2011-02-06, 04:41 PM
"Several other cities have been reporting similar incidents, which we believe to be connected. We have traced the source here," Edgar says. "What can you tell us about the death of Ul'tear Xanadu?"

userpay
2011-02-06, 05:37 PM
Sarus prowls around the circle, studying it. "A portal of some sort certainly, we saw people come in and none are here now. A bit of risk is in order I suppose." Saying so she warely paws at it, then enters if nothing untowards happens.

Ajadea
2011-02-06, 05:48 PM
Edgar and Elio

"They're still investigating it, but they are honestly considering shutting down formal investigations. It is far too expensive to keep hunting a powerful wizard like that. Signs point towards multiple magi of various sorts. Motive is undetermined; anyone that powerful is going to make more than his fair share of enemies. You say there have been multiple deaths of this nature?"

Sarus and Luma

Sarus disappears in a flash of blue light.

Sarus (only)

There is a flash of blinding light, and you are standing in a nearly identical room, except there is no teleportation circle on the ground, and Luma is nowhere to be seen.

Super_Fluous
2011-02-07, 11:04 PM
Luma sighs, considering the possible options here. On one hand, his chances of being spotted are increased if he is alone. Then again, he is still in a weakened condition, and could use whatever help he can get to further his goals.

Besides, it is a portal network, and would likely be safe to use.

With another brief sigh, Luma follows Sarus through the portal.

Ajadea
2011-02-08, 12:03 AM
Sarus and Luma

There is a second flash of blinding light, and you are standing in a nearly identical room, except there is no teleportation circle on the ground, and Sarus is standing not that far from where Luma teleported in.

Super_Fluous
2011-02-08, 12:18 AM
Luma looks down at the ground and its distinct lack of a teleportation sigil, then turns to Sarus, his voice utterly deadpan.

"That was a rather foolish choice of option. Now we are potentially lost, and without a method for getting back. I would appreciate it, if that were not to happen again."

Grendus
2011-02-09, 10:12 AM
Edgar shrugs, inasmuch as a raven has the capacity to shrug. "There have been six that we know about, each a powerful psion or magus. Several have had no living enemies, one in particular took great care to make sure her enemies were far beyond any resurrection spell." He paused, remembering the blackened crystal one of his mistresses companions had kept. She had not been happy about it, binding the souls of their more powerful enemies, but he had assured her that it was the only way to be sure that a powerful cleric hadn't brought them back. In the end she had relented. But then, she had always relented when he was involved. Edgar ruffled his feathers briefly, shaking off the memory.

"Do they have any theories as to who might be behind the murders?"

Ajadea
2011-02-09, 09:45 PM
Elio and Edgar

"Well, it's fairly simple, isn't it? How many people around here, or anywhere else in the world for that matter, actually have to power to kill someone like that? Jores Ceranrio, Madria Siannare, um...Halgoth Stonekeep, I think, down in Caer Denaan, anyone on the ruling councils of either city...."

"Madria is the creepy elf who makes grafts in the basement, right? And Jores is the guy who binds all the really nasty criminals, I think...hey, what about Kaniketh?"

"The gnome illusionist who lives in the market? Actually, you have a point about that. What about that new wilder who moved in downstairs three weeks ago? Sorian El-something or other."

"Sorian El-Kometra? Could be. He's certainly an antisocial guy. Alikasra Tijuren, as well. The drow who runs the arena down in Caer Denaan, binds demons and sends them against mages for fun? I think that's it."

"Except for Lorallien Halkiir, Headmistress of the Denaan Academy, and Echiran Valreson, the head of this Circle, you have listed all of them, I believe."

Chained Birds
2011-02-09, 10:10 PM
X-0113 (Elio)

Elio’s red gems gleam slightly from right to left,

“…loading…loading… COMPLETE. The following names have been memorized: Jores Ceranrio, Madria Siannare, Halgoth Stonekeep, Sorian El-Kometra, Alikasra Tijuren, Lorallien Halkiir, and Echiran Valreson. We appreciate the information, thank you.
Suggestion: Sir Raven, we should head back to research these names further.”

autohypnosis check: [roll0] DC 15
- memorizing names

Ajadea
2011-02-14, 02:50 PM
When you return to your hiding place behind the bookshelves at the appointed time, you notice that, while your other compatriots have returned, Sarus and Luma, as well as Sarus's animal companion, have not. Andle and Rex have obtained the supplies they set out to get, and those things are laid out on the floor now.

The psicrystals have cleaned up the ground somewhat. The glass shards and most of the dust has been swept into the corner with the skeleton, and the crystals seem to be currently trying, without avail, to remove the stain on the ground.

Noblesse
2011-02-14, 03:46 PM
Rex

After pacing back and forth Rex finally leans against the wall standing on his back two legs, the position was slightly uncomfortable, but still far more natural for him given his past."It seems we're missing a few... Do you think our hideout is compromised? No no. We mustn't make any rash decisions. Let's give them a bit more time before we make any conclusions." Letting out a sigh he continues. "We were able to gather the supplies, but unfortunately it yielded no relevant information, the best I overheard was how a mage swore someone stole his spellbook containing powerful spells. This was of course interesting and relevant until he stated it even had magic missile and scorching ray as testament to it's 'magnificence. Did you two have any better luck?"

Chained Birds
2011-02-14, 03:52 PM
X-0113 (Elio)

“Meeting, code 01291U, commencing after attendance has been confirmed. I, Attendant X-0113 also know by the name Elio, am accounted for. Other available members, please state your names for the record.”

After going through a similar role call as in the previous meeting, Elio notes the lack of two members.

“Observation: It would appear we’ve lost two of our members at the moment. Query: Should we engage into the meeting regardless?”

vikingofdoom
2011-02-14, 10:03 PM
To the questions asked: Yes, we did have greater luck in our goal, as we managed to aquire the supplies needed. No, we couldn't find anything of import in our search. No, I believe that if our security were indeed comprimised, we would already be dead. Yes, we should continue with the meeting regardless of their lack.

Finished with the questions, Andle moves the papers onto the desk, keeping them safe from the pen. He also lays out the ink and pens, ready for use.

I will record this meeting so that we have a copy for when the others return. If anyone objects, speak it now.

Chained Birds
2011-02-14, 10:57 PM
X-0113 (Elio)

“Objections: none. Relaying memorized information granted through the investigation made on the 8th circle…”

Elio recants the names he memorized from the appentices.

Grendus
2011-02-17, 10:10 AM
Edgar flutters his wings, scooping up Shiny and depositing him on the table. "It's possible they've been captured, or killed. It's equally possible they just got lost," he says simply. "I would give them the rest of the night, and if they do not return we should see about tracking them down."

Ajadea
2011-02-21, 02:40 PM
Though you do wait, and watch, Sarus and Luma do not return during the night.

vikingofdoom
2011-02-28, 02:17 PM
Andle suddenly begins shifting around, gathering supplies and getting ready. Bah, he suddenly exclaims, I've grown tired of this waiting. I say we need to make a decision now: do we stay here and let the world forget the crimes perpetuated against our masters, or do we go now to rescue our lost comrades? I will be leaving in 1 minute to rescue our comrades. Any who want to join me are welcome, any who wish to stay behind will be left here. You must make your decision now.

Chained Birds
2011-02-28, 05:59 PM
X-0113 (Elio)

The construct scans over Andle’s emotional response,

“Verdict: Allies are gone; decisions must be made before actions can be taken. Opinion: I feel indifferent towards all within this group, and that I apologize for, but we do need forces to carry out our plans with more efficiency. Final Verdict: I will aid Andle is searching for both comrades and continue with the investigation at hand.”

Elio sifts through the names in his head and chooses one that seems the most interesting.

“Question: We shall look in on ‘Lorallien Halkiir’ while searching for the others; is that alright by you sir Andle?”

vikingofdoom
2011-02-28, 09:29 PM
Andle, heartened by his allies agreement to help, replies: I believe that it would be most agreeable to continue our information gathering on the mission to rescue our friends.

Chained Birds
2011-02-28, 09:50 PM
X-0113 (Elio)

“Comment: If there are no disagreements, then sir Andle and I will investigate Lorallien Halkiir while searching for the missing members. Suggestion: It might be wise to pair up if any member(s) wishes to leave, search or investigate another suspect. Conclusion: Meeting, code 01291U, will be adjourned till further notice.”

Elio follows alongside Andle as they leave.

Ajadea
2011-03-01, 02:48 PM
Er...Sarus and Luma went up, but Loriallen is on the tier below you. You can't technically go both ways at once, and the direction you choose to investigate first may influence the plot.

Chained Birds
2011-03-01, 03:12 PM
Er...Sarus and Luma went up, but Loriallen is on the tier below you. You can't technically go both ways at once, and the direction you choose to investigate first may influence the plot.

Then who is around that tier? I just choose a name at random...

Ajadea
2011-03-01, 07:30 PM
Halgoth, maybe. They never told you where he was. Alikasra's all the way down at the bottom, and Loriallen's going to be at the Academy below. Otherwise, if you're going up, you've got to go all the way up, to Caer Magharthe.

Chained Birds
2011-03-08, 10:18 PM
Halgoth, maybe. They never told you where he was. Alikasra's all the way down at the bottom, and Loriallen's going to be at the Academy below. Otherwise, if you're going up, you've got to go all the way up, to Caer Magharthe.

Erk... I have no idea where to go... :smallfrown:

I was hoping someone would say something but... but... *sob, sob, sob*