PDA

View Full Version : Need help choosing spells for a Mystic Ranger with an very expanded spell list! [3.5]

Khatoblepas
2011-01-18, 09:04 PM
Somehow, I have managed to get hold of up to 5th level Ranger spells, and all the unique spells from the Bard and Paladin spell lists (and 5th level Wizard spells - Hooray SoTAO) on a chassis that can prepare divine spells from a list (Mystic Ranger, not Archivist - little to no access to scrolls in this campaign post-chargen.). But I'm having trouble picking a good list of 'go-to' spells for when specific situations aren't of the essence. I already have natural flight, +5/+5 Inspire Courage, and Hank's Energy Bow as my weapon.

So which spells should I be using?

In my research so far, the ranger Arrow-X line of spells (Arrowmind, Arrowstorm) are pretty good, since the latter can take advantage of my insane Inspire Courage mod to take out some mooks.

Bless weapon is also another one I like, as automatically confirming x3 criticals is nice. As is Hunter's Mercy. I'm not sure Holy Sword works with an elvencraft bow, or if it just enhances the quarterstaff part (since the bow is a melee weapon as the target of the spell)

Glibness is also another one I love. +30 to bluff is always relevant.

But I have 4/6/5/5/3/2 in terms of spells per day, and need to fill them up with versatile but exciting spells. Got any suggestions anyone? I have up to 5th level Bard/Paladin/Wizard/Ranger spells, but if the bard or paladin spells appear on another list (that isn't Wizard) I can't prepare it. I have to buy every Wizard spell I have, but every Wizard spell I have is pretty much gold dust.

Things to consider:
- I already have natural flight. I don't need any fly spells.
- I am an archer, so I don't want to be polymorphing.
- My current character is a Wizard, so I want to try and get the most out of these low level spells for my next character. Think on it as a personal challenge.
- My casting stat mod is +8, but we are also at level 15, and my caster level is only 12.

My current favorites are below:

0:4
Ghostharp
Prestidigitation
Summon Instrument
????

1st:6
Bless Weapon x 2
Hunter's Mercy
????
????
????

2nd:5
Sonorous Hum
????
????
????
????

3rd:5
G'Elsewhere Chant
Glibness
????
????
????

4th:3
Favor of the Martyr
Arrowstorm
Ruin Delver's Fortune

5th:2
????
????

As an aside...

Is there any way to get spellbooks to count as a weapon, or at least a Masterwork Club? An Aurorum Spellbook with the Flying enchantment (and perhaps Awaken Construct) would be the best familiar anyone could ever hope for, since an automated, unsunderable, flying spellbook could be the best thing in the world.

Darrin
2011-01-19, 10:52 AM
0:4
Ghostharp
Prestidigitation
Summon Instrument
????

Launch Item (Spell Compendium). Throw splash weapons, torchbug paste, eggshell grenades, aboleth mucus over 100' with no range penalties.

Stick (Spell Compendium). Mostly useful for pranks, but also can attach light sources to hats/shields, macaroni art to your fridge, etc.

There are many proponents for Launch Bolt (particularly if your DM allows it to work with colossal-sized crossbow bolts), but it sounds like you've already got the ranged attack thing covered pretty well.

1st:6
Bless Weapon x 2
Hunter's Mercy
????
????
????

Benign Transposition (Spell Compendium). Switch places with an ally. Really useful with flying familiars/animal companions/wild cohorts.

Color Spray (SRD). Low level save-or-suck for debuffing/disabling mooks. Also works pretty well for stunning high-CR "big + dumb" creatures with low Will saves.

Embrace the Wild (Spell Compendium). Blindsense 30'.

Fetid Breath (Ghostwalk Web Enhancement). Stinking cloud as a 10' cone. Fort save vs. nausea for 1d4+1 rounds.

Hail of Stone (Spell Compendium). 1d4/CL (max 5d4) untyped damage, 5' radius cylinder, no save, no SR.

*Instant of Power (Forge of War). Immediate actoin, +4 enhancement bonus on next attack, saving throw, or damage roll.

*Invisibility, Swift (Spell Compendium). Swift action, invisibility for 1 round. Great to cast this after you attack.

Nerveskitter (Spell Compendium). Immediate action, going first is very nice.

Ray of Clumsiness (Spell Compendium). 1d6 +1 per 2CLs Dex damage, combine with net/lasso/entangle to render low-Dex opponents helpless.

* = Buy wands, put in wand chambers (100 GP, Dungeonscape).

2nd:5
Sonorous Hum
????
????
????
????

Bladebane (Unapproachable East). Slashing weapon gains the bane property, 1 round/CL.

Cloud of Knives (PHBII). Ranged attack every round per CL as a free action.

*Energy Surge, Lesser (PHBII). Swift action, adds +1d6 energy damage to all your attacks for a round, including ranged.

Glitterdust (SRD). Illuminates invisible/hidden enemies, save vs. blindness.

*Haste, Swift (Spell Compendium). Unlike other swift spells, this one lasts 1d4 rounds.

Heroics (Spell Compendium). Grants fighter bonus feats, including Martial Study.

*Hunter's Eye (PHBII). Swift action, +1d6 sneak attack per 3 CLs on all your attacks for a round.

Kellgore's Grave Mist (PHBII). Cloud does 1d6 cold damage every round, no save.

Scimitar of Sand (Sandstorm). Flameblade for non-treehuggers.

Sonic Weapon (Spell Compendium). Weapon does 1d6 sonic damage on all attacks.

3rd:5
G'Elsewhere Chant
Glibness
????
????
????

Arrow Storm (Spell Compendium). Whirlwind Attack with a bow, up to a number of targets equal to your character level. Kind of weak for a 3rd level damage spell, but immensely satisfying. You have this listed as a 4th level spell, but it's 3rd.

Charm Monster (SRD). Turn enemies into friends.

Dispel Magic (SRD). Never leave home without it.

Love's Lament (Spell Compendium). Will save vs 1d6 Wisdom damage and nausea.

Manyjaws (Spell Compendium). 1d6 force damage/CL, split up on multiple targets however you like, for up to 3 rounds.

4th:3
Favor of the Martyr
Arrowstorm
Ruin Delver's Fortune

Break Enchantment (SRD). Counters petrification/flesh to stone.

Dominate Person (SRD). That uber-NPC your DM keeps torturing you with? He's *yours* now.

Enervation (SRD). All-purpose utility debuffer.

Evard's Black Hentai Collection (SRD). End encounters with a single spell.

Force Missiles (Spell Compendium). Magic Missile on steroids.

Globe of Invulnerability, Lesser (SRD). Ignore area effects such as glitterdust.

Solid Fog (SRD). One of the lynchpin spells for battlefield control.

Vortex of Teeth (Spell Compendium). Manyjaws on steroids, no save.

5th:2
????
????

Daltim's Fiery Tentacles (Shining South). Same as Evard's Black Tentacles, only now the tentacles are *on fire*.

Earth Reaver (Spell Compendium). The earth hates you, take 7d6 damage no save.

Flesh to Salt (Sandstorm). Save vs. petrification a spell level before you get flesh to stone, only you get to keep the victim's stuff *and* you can sell off your victim's body for 5 GP per pound as a trade good.

Necrotic Skull Bomb (Champions of Ruin). Swift action, similar to enervation except you throw a frickin' skull that explodes with a 20' burst. Also leading candidate for Best Spell Name, Ever.

Is there any way to get spellbooks to count as a weapon, or at least a Masterwork Club? An Aurorum Spellbook with the Flying enchantment (and perhaps Awaken Construct) would be the best familiar anyone could ever hope for, since an automated, unsunderable, flying spellbook could be the best thing in the world.

Not sure how to pull that off... the FR books have about a half-dozen or so different items that can be used as spellbooks, but most of them are gems. The best I can come up with is maybe take a Kiira (Magic of Faerun) and mount it on a Horned Helmet (Races of Faerun). The helmet could be made out of aurorum, but the kiira would still be a gem... but if it's part of the helmet I'm not sure if you could sunder the gem as a separate item.

true_shinken
2011-01-19, 11:14 AM
Khatoplebas advice is sound, follow it.
My favourite cantrip is Silvered Weapons.
For 1st level, you can never go wrong with True Strike. Divine Sacrifice is also good, though I don't know if it works on ranged attacks.
For 2nd level, grab Primal Instinct. Hello, +5 Initiative for 24 hours!
Gte one other Primal spell as well. Uncanny dodge is good, specially with high Dex (and I believe you have it). You're not a charger, so Rhino Rush won't help.
Also, how did you expand your spell list so much? Prestige Bard and Prestige Paladin?

Coidzor
2011-01-19, 11:41 AM
How did you manage all of that?

Also, I believe Champions of Ruin has a number of spells to create short term magical arrows that might be of interest. And I believe there's one that creates them in such a way that they keep until they're fired without a duration.