PDA

View Full Version : Assistance for a Spellcaster Under Construction [d20]

Enix18
2011-01-18, 11:27 PM
Hello, Playground! I was hoping I could get some opinions from you folks on one element of a new character I'm creating...

The character is being being designed for a d20 Modern campaign with a dash of Dresden Files-esque fantasy. She's a Rhapsodomancer (basically the original spellcasting class presented in the core rulebook, but modified somewhat with a few homebrewed mechanics and some awesome fluff), and the only magical character in the party. The campaign itself is going to be a mixture of action and intrigue, so we seem equally likely to find ourselves in a gunfight with Catholic zealot-mercenaries or a political struggle with emotion-warping vampires.

Saying all of that might have been a little unnecessary, though, as the thing I really need help with is just a finishing touch on my character's low-level of abilities. Rather than gaining a familiar, I'm allowed to select one of the following abilities:

— She gains a special affinity for cold spells. Her caster level is considered one level higher when casting spells that deal cold damage.

— She gains a limited magical barrier power. Three times per day, as an immediate action, she can grant herself a +2 bonus to AC that lasts for one turn.

— She gains a limited power to enhance her abilities. Once per day, she may grant herself a +2 bonus to one ability score for one minute per level.

I still haven't figured out which option I ought to take, so I was hoping you Playgrounders might be able to give your opinions. I've never really been one for optimizing characters, and I'm not always sure if something I judge to be mechanically superior is actually so. That's why I would greatly appreciate any input you folks have.

Thanks a lot!
— Enix18