PDA

View Full Version : The Effects of the Internet: I need your help!

zorba1994
2011-01-19, 12:02 AM
Hello everyone,

As a homework assignment for my honors humanities class, I have set out to document the effect that the internet has had on politics, the economy, how we get information, and popular culture. As an added twist, I have decided to format my report as a wiki page. I have already laid out the framework of this wiki page, and the text that I wrote alone is enough for me to receive an A on the assignment. However, as an added part to display the power of the internet I have decided to put this wiki in as many public spaces as I can and ask people to supplement the information on the wiki with their own research. I am asking you to help me by adding to the wiki: just throw in a sentence or two on something that you feel you know about (and pass word of this wiki to everyone you know :P).

The link to the wiki is here: http://interneteffect.wikispaces.com/

Wait Zorba, isn't that plagiarism?
No, it isn't: I will not take credit for anything that I didn't write. In fact, I have taken a copy of the wiki as I wrote it and will hand that in alongside the final state of the wiki. I have already cleared this with my teachers and they think that this is an excellent idea.

Listen, I'm a cool dude, but what about vandals? The Internet is full of them!
Yes, I am aware of this, however I hope that people will choose to help my wiki as opposed to vandalizing it. As I have said before, however, I have already backed up the original text of the wiki and will likely do so periodically.

Sounds good, what can I do to help?
Lots of things! While my summary of the effects of the Internet is enough to get me a good grade on this assignment, it is by no means comprehensive (I could write several graduate theses on this topic and still never even scrape the surface of the information there is on the Internet). You can help either by cleaning up what has been written (for maximum clarity!), adding your own information (for example, go into profiles on specific memes), putting in references to back up information on the wiki and ensure accuracy, or adding hyperlinks to relevant topics on other sites.

What if I don't have the time/don't feel confident enough to help?

If you can't or don't want to help, that's fine. However, if you would be so kind as to tell other people about this (either through telling friends, putting this on other forums, or some other way I can't be bothered to write about), that would be great!

That sounds great! However, I'm a little bothered by the fact that you have developed what seems to be an alternate personality that favors bold typeface

No comment.

Anyway guys, have at it!

Moff Chumley
2011-01-19, 12:26 AM
It's a very cool idea. I'll probably add some material about Anon... :smallcool: