PDA

View Full Version : Teleporting ammunition mid flight.

Hardiron
2011-01-19, 01:09 AM
So a friend is bragging about how he has twisted rules from all sort of outside sources (WotC sources)to create a crossbow that can hit things up to a mile away with reasonable accuracy. I dont know how he has done it yet, and frankly i dont care too much, im just looking to upstage him. So here is what im trying to accomplish.

Through scrying to find targets, i want to be able to use either teleport or dimension door or something similar to be able to transport the ammunition mid flight to hit a target anywhere. Be it the other side of a wall, or at the extent of the spells range.

So, since my knowledge of all the various books is a bit limited, I ask you, is this in any way, at all, possible?

JeminiZero
2011-01-19, 01:15 AM
The most commonly cited method of being able to hit just about any target involves:
-Scry: Learn everything about a target
-Mindrape [BoVD]: Brainwash a helpless Commoner into loving said target
-Love's Pain [BoVD]: Cast on the helpless Commoner, which inflicts damage on his love (i.e. the target you brainwashed him into loving) regardless of distance, no saving throw or SR.

Hardiron
2011-01-19, 01:31 AM
sounds good, but what im trying to accomplish is getting a physical projectile to any target i seek.

ericgrau
2011-01-19, 01:34 AM
ring gates (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#ringGates) aka "now you're thinking with portals".

You can also teleport object the second gate near your target.

Dingle
2011-01-19, 05:37 PM
The main problem with your plan is that d&d uses attack rolls rather than newtonian mechanics. This approximation works fine for most people (except pass the parcel players). Unfortunately, the rules approximate projectiles as instantaneous, so you can't do anything interesting with them.

You could probably get a similar effect using things that don't require attack rolls, such as summoned creatures, pages with explosive runes on them, traps, and other things.

Defiant
2011-01-19, 05:58 PM
im just looking to upstage him

A tip:

Play with your friends, not against them.

Pentachoron
2011-01-19, 06:19 PM
A tip:

Play with your friends, not against them.

Counter tip. There is nothing wrong with healthy competition among friends. If your friend is bragging about working the rules over, it's perfectly acceptable to try to out do it. Obviously your goal shouldn't be such munchkinery every time you play, though.