PDA

View Full Version : To Prc, That is the Question

Necroticplague
2011-01-19, 06:41 AM
I'm trying to look for something to PRC into, but can't find anything. Does anybody know a PRC that can be fulfilled with the following as is:

lvl 10 fighter
Human
Feats:
Live my nightmare
Eyes to the Sky
Willing Deformity
Scorpion's Grasp
Deformity (teeth)
Improved Unarmed Strike
Improved Grapple
Superior Unarmed Strike
Snap Kick
Earth's Embrace
Circle Kick
Skill Ranks:
13 climb
6.5 hide
13 jump
13 intimidate
6.5 sense motive
6.5 survival
13 swim
Movement:
30 land
15 swim and climb
60 fly
Natural attacks:
1d4 gore
constrict 1d4
1d4 poisonous bite
Stats:
19 STR
15 DEX
10 CON
18 INT
8 Cha and Wis

Rasman
2011-01-19, 06:48 AM
Frankly, considering what you're doing with the class, i would PrC out since what you're trying is kind of feat intensive. From the look of it though, you could go Reaping Mauler, I believe, but...you really shouldn't...

Necroticplague
2011-01-19, 07:48 PM
Sorry for the noob question, but what does "prc out" mean"? Does that mean I should go into a PRC or stay out of one? And if I should continue down this path, what feats should I take? Part of the reason I feel the need to prestige is because I can't think of any more feats that will help with my wrestling other than Improved Natural Attack for bite,unarmed,and gore (does constrict count as a natural weapon?).

Rasman
2011-01-19, 08:06 PM
Sorry for the noob question, but what does "prc out" mean"? Does that mean I should go into a PRC or stay out of one? And if I should continue down this path, what feats should I take? Part of the reason I feel the need to prestige is because I can't think of any more feats that will help with my wrestling other than Improved Natural Attack for bite,unarmed,and gore (does constrict count as a natural weapon?).

ah, sry...I meant "WOULDN'T" and PrC out means "go into one"...

The feats question is a good one, but I'd need more info than just what you gave me. Like level, Race, etc.

Toliudar
2011-01-19, 08:09 PM
PrC out means to enter a prestige class.

Damage while grappling is going to get progressively tougher to sustain as you get higher in level, as the creatures get disproportionately bigger and stronger than you, and Freedom of Movement or teleportation effects become more common. And with only two skill points per level, it's going to be hard to qualify for most PrC's.

I'd either take a level or two of psychic warrior to pick up expansion, or try to convince your DM to let your deformity feats qualify you for Warshaper (Complete Warrior).

Necroticplague
2011-01-19, 09:47 PM

The feats question is a good one, but I'd need more info than just what you gave me. Like level, Race, etc.

What other information do you need? the only thing I left out was equipement, which I only have 2 things of (rest of money was spent on grafts). If it matters, I have a hat of disguise and a bottle of air.

herrhauptmann
2011-01-19, 10:10 PM

Level 10 human fighter

If your skills were a bit different, I'd suggest Horizon Walker. But could probably get there with 2 levels of ranger. There's also a Ranger ACF which grants different combat styles, in dragon magazine somewhere.

Or a level of barbarian, and start with drunken master.
Alternatively, start with factotum. You got high enough intelligence you could make good use of the abilities.
What exactly is the concept for your character, besides being some freaky abomination?

Thurbane
2011-01-20, 12:57 AM
I think you meet all the prereqs for Dragon Lord (DM). It's not a fantastic PrC, but it's OK for a straight Fighter, easy to get into. Although a couple of it's abilities are a bit CHA dependent.

Rasman
2011-01-20, 01:18 AM
Level 10 human fighter

BRAIN! WHY DO YOU BETRAY ME BRAIN!?

I...kinda feel dumb now...

Tvtyrant
2011-01-20, 01:38 AM
What's sad is this would have been a good entry into Initiate of the Draconic Mysteries. The capstone of that Prc from the Dracomonicon is that it lets you Shapechange into a Huge Dragon, of HD equal to yours. Which means you could turn into a Young Adult or Adult (depending on the type of Dragon) which would get you a really nice grapple modifier and a good breathe weapon (Adult Green Dragon would be best).

Necroticplague
2011-01-20, 06:07 AM
What exactly is the concept for your character, besides being some freaky abomination?

A grappler/unarmed combatant. It's an urban campaign, so I don't beleive horizon walker is a useful option.

Coidzor
2011-01-20, 06:46 AM
A grappler/unarmed combatant. It's an urban campaign, so I don't beleive horizon walker is a useful option.

Reread Horizon Walker. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/prestigeClasses/horizonWalker.htm) Darkvision at least can be rather useful even in an urban campaign, as can the bonuses to various skills and immunity to fatigue, and the terrain of the most common enemy types would still grant a bonus on attacking them in addition to the passive bonus. And at 6th level can get the ability to dimension door every 1d4 rounds or have tremorsense.

It's not the best, but your build as it stands precludes you from most of the better options anyway.

Dr.Epic
2011-01-20, 07:15 AM
How 'bout kensai (if you're lawful)?

Ernir
2011-01-20, 07:54 AM
Have you considered multiclassing into one of the ToB classes, rather than PrCing out?

Necroticplague
2011-01-21, 01:11 AM
Level 10 human fighter

If your skills were a bit different, I'd suggest Horizon Walker.

Yeah, that seems to be the problem in this. At next level, I can have a max 7 ranks in cross-class skills, and most the PRCs require at least 8 in a few cross class skill (Reaping Mauler, Horizon Walker,Initiate of the dragon mysteries). The only one I really qualify for is Dragon lord.

herrhauptmann
2011-01-21, 01:51 PM
That's why I was also suggesting multiclass to ranger. That would cover your skill prereqs nicely.
2 levels of ranger, with an 18 int. That's what, 22 skill points for a human? A single level of ranger would let you meet the skill prereq, and should let you keep maxing out most of the skills you've been maxing out. 2 levels of ranger can get you a combat style. While TWF and archery suck for you, there's a few ACFs that grant sword and board, 2HF, grappling, and probably even a mounted option.
Also, you'd have to wait until level 13 to take your first horizon walker level anyway, because you need the feat endurance.
If you're still worried about skill points, take human paragon. Medium bab, but free feat, free stat boost, and also just declare that some skills are now class skills.

And horizon walker is always useful. Look at Saph's Horizon Tripper. Probably the most versatile core melee build. It's also got better skills than a fighter. Including spot. I always max out spot when possible.

Coidzor
2011-01-21, 02:55 PM
Another option, though from Unearthed Arcana, Feat Rogue (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#rogue). 8+int skills from a good list as well as a fighter bonus feats.

Necroticplague
2011-01-22, 02:42 AM
Ok, from everything I've got, it seems there are two paths I can go down (practically): The Path of the Shape, and the Path of the Walker.

Path of the Shape: Three levels in Wildshape variant Ranger for wildshape, and endurance. Take alerness as 12 level feat. Two levels in Master of many Forms so I can turn into large animals, humanoids, and giants. Five levels in Warshaper. Take Improved Natural Attack:Unarmed Strike at 15th level . Put the rest in Master of Many Forms.Assign all stat points into strength. Improved Natural Attack:Bite at level 18.

Path of the Walker: Two levels in Wilderness Rogue, using fighter feat-for-sneak attack variant mentioned above. First put 8 ranks in knowledge (geography), 5 ranks in escape artist, and use the fighter feat for Endurance. Next level, take Clever Wrestler as your 12 level feat, put 5 ranks in tumble, use the rest of the skill points to catch up on Jump, Climb, Swim and Intimidate. Use fighter feat for whatever (I'm thinking martial study:Tiger Claw:Sudden Leap.). Take 7 levels of Horizon walker, selecting my terrain masteries in this order:Underground, Desert, Aquatic, Mountain, Marsh, Shifting, Cavernous. Put the rest in Reaping Mauler.For 15th level feat, take Martial Stance: Hunter's Senses, and for 18th feat, take Martial Stance: Leaping Dragon Stance or Wolvering Stance. Assign all stat points into strength.

Both may be able to use a dip into Dragon Lord for a speed draconic aura.

So, which one of these is better overall?

Togo
2011-01-22, 07:17 AM
Ok, from everything I've got, it seems there are two paths I can go down (practically): The Path of the Shape, and the Path of the Walker.

Path of the Shape: Three levels in Wildshape variant Ranger for wildshape, and endurance. Take alerness as 12 level feat. Two levels in Master of many Forms so I can turn into large animals, humanoids, and giants. Five levels in Warshaper. Take Improved Natural Attack:Unarmed Strike at 15th level . Put the rest in Master of Many Forms.Assign all stat points into strength. Improved Natural Attack:Bite at level 18.

Possible, but I don't think you'll like it. Warshaper doesn't advance wildshape, it grants combat bonuses to forms you already have. So by 20th level, you'll have 3 levels of ranger, 2 levels of master of many forms, and will able to turn into 5HD shapes?

Also, what's the point of having all these deformities if you shapechange them away?

Can I suggest Urban soul (races of destiny) as better suited? It's not the most powerful option, but it fits your exiting character pretty well. The problem is you'll need two levels of something with access to knowledge local to qualify. two levels of Marshal (minature's handbook) would do it, or two levels of rogue, or two levels of ranger and then two levels of justicar (complete warrior). Or just go justicar.

Or, two levels of monk or rogue, and then Drunken master?

Thespianus
2011-01-22, 08:08 AM
Am I missing something, or why haven't a Fighter with Int of 18 been given the advice to grab a level of Wizard and then go into Abjurant Champion and Spellsword? :smallconfused:

It seems to me it would add a great amount of versatility, damage output and buffing abilities...

Edit: Ah, yes, the Feat Combat casting is a prerequisite. I always forget that crap feat requirement of Abj Champ

Necroticplague
2011-01-22, 08:15 AM
Am I missing something, or why haven't a Fighter with Int of 18 been given the advice to grab a level of Wizard and then go into Abjurant Champion and Spellsword? :smallconfused:

Because I hate spellcassters.

Coidzor
2011-01-22, 08:25 AM
So why did you put an 18 in intelligence but choose a class for 10 levels that gives you nothing for having a high intelligence?

Hazzardevil
2011-01-22, 08:54 AM
I reccomend a few levels in the human paragon, you get a bonus feat a skill as a class skill for teh rest of your life and +2 to a score of your choice, I reccomend con.

I reccomed retraining some of your grapple feats so you can qualify for stuff like dervish and if possible maybe even a refluffed bladebearer of vaenar if possible.
You have teh dex to pull it off and as mentioned before your DM will either have you making grapple checks against dragons usally failing or having to make lots of NPC's with adventurer levels.

Necroticplague
2011-01-22, 09:08 AM
So why did you put an 18 in intelligence but choose a class for 10 levels that gives you nothing for having a high intelligence?

Character creation rules layed down by the DM, Roleplaying purposes.

I reccomed retraining some of your grapple feats so you can qualify for stuff like dervish and if possible maybe even a refluffed bladebearer of vaenar if possible.

How exactly does retraining work? And what book does it talk about it in? Quite frankly, this smells like an Unearthed Arcana thing.

Thespianus
2011-01-22, 09:15 AM
Because I hate spellcassters.

Ok. :) I suppose that's a valid reason.

Thespianus
2011-01-22, 09:17 AM
How exactly does retraining work? And what book does it talk about it in? Quite frankly, this smells like an Unearthed Arcana thing.
Player's Handbook II.

Necroticplague
2011-01-22, 10:53 AM
Possible, but I don't think you'll like it. Warshaper doesn't advance wildshape, it grants combat bonuses to forms you already have. So by 20th level, you'll have 3 levels of ranger, 2 levels of master of many forms, and will able to turn into 5HD shapes?

Also, what's the point of having all these deformities if you shapechange them away?

It's not as much to select a powerful form, as much as a large one (to ramp up natural weapon damage and grapple bonuses). Plus, their isn't anything that says deformities change if you do. Or even grafts, for that matter (since neither feats nor grafts are magic items).

tyckspoon
2011-01-22, 11:11 AM
It's not as much to select a powerful form, as much as a large one (to ramp up natural weapon damage and grapple bonuses). Plus, their isn't anything that says deformities change if you do. Or even grafts, for that matter (since neither feats nor grafts are magic items).

Wild Shape refers you to Alternate Form. Alternate Form says..

The creature loses the natural weapons, natural armor, and movement modes of its original form, as well as any extraordinary special attacks of its original form not derived from class levels (such as the barbarian’s rage class feature).

Or, in less rules-based language, you lose anything that is an aspect of your physical form in trade for gaining those aspects of your new form. That covers deformities and grafts as much as racial natural weapons.

Necroticplague
2011-01-23, 08:23 PM
Wild Shape refers you to Alternate Form. Alternate Form says..

Or, in less rules-based language, you lose anything that is an aspect of your physical form in trade for gaining those aspects of your new form. That covers deformities and grafts as much as racial natural weapons.

Oh. Guess that rules out Path of the Shape. In that case, I should get Improved Natural weapon :Unarmed Strike at 15, and push Martial Stance: Hunter's Senses to 18.