PDA

View Full Version : Everyday Magic

Qwertystop
2011-01-19, 10:25 AM
I'm thinking of running a game where many normal, everyday, taken-for-granted things are magic. This would matter in situations such as Antimagic Fields, or some effect that enhances magic in general.

All I can think of right now is that Color is magic, so antimagic fields are in black and white. Any other ideas?

EDIT: My Extreme Maximize (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=10192738) metamagic feat would affect these, for example all color in the area of an Extreme Maximized Burning Hands would be more vivid. Mostly fluff in these cases though.

Chilingsworth
2011-01-19, 10:33 AM
Maybe heat and/or light are magic? Sound? Weather?

If you aren't careful, you could make Anitmagic Field a much more dangerous spell, couldn't you?

Cyrion
2011-01-19, 10:34 AM
Are you looking for ideas for flavor or mechanics?

One mechanic that might be fun to play with would be to give everyone a roll on the minor wondrous items table as some sort of a spell-like ability (with some judicious editing, of course). This idea is blatantly stolen from Dragon Magazine #50 or thereabouts where this was suggestion for making dragons just a bit less predictable.

Kansaschaser
2011-01-19, 11:21 AM
Lamp Posts: Glowing Magic Orbs

Beer Mugs in Taverns: Magically Refills when empty

Entertainment in Taverns: Major Illusions

Magical Clothing: Self-cleaning / Self-repairing

Carriages and Carts: Self-propelled

Food Replicators (like from Star Trek): Boxes that cast Create Food & Water 3/day

House cleaning: Mops and brooms that clean by themselves.

Communication: Permanent "Listening Coin". Several "coins" are kept in each city and used for communicating with other major cities. Can also be used to create "cell phones". This take two pairs of listening coins (1 for the receiver and 1 for the speaker).

LibraryOgre
2011-01-19, 11:36 AM
While playing Oblivion, I actually thought of creating a radio... just an illusion enchantment that would pick up whatever was said next to the transmitter. This would allow wide communication across the Empire, at least one-way (everyone can buy subsidized receivers for official broadcasts, others are placed in public areas; if it can be done with a petty soul, it's pretty cheap). It could also be used for espionage and the like, placing a transmitter on or near someone.