PDA

View Full Version : How to get trapfinding?

Skjaldbakka
2011-01-19, 12:08 PM
Is there a published feat or magic item that will give me trapfinding (specifically the ability to both find and disable traps).

Was going to just buy an item of find traps, but that doesn't let you disarm traps, and I don't have class levels yet (and would rather just advance with dragon HD than take rogue levels if I can get away with it).

LibraryOgre
2011-01-19, 12:12 PM
BTB, I believe it's pretty much just "Take 1 level of a class that gives trapfinding". I'd probably give it to dragons as a matter of course, or let you spend a feat.

Or, just, you know, not require the ability at all. 'Cause it's stupid to nerf a search check.

Coidzor
2011-01-19, 12:14 PM
the only other way other than dipping in a class that gives it either directly or with an ACF is to somehow get the Kobold Domain, such as through the Catalogues of Enlightenment.

mootoall
2011-01-19, 12:25 PM
Breath fire/acid through every hallway possibly containing traps. Check out the dissembler Druid for ideas.

Skjaldbakka
2011-01-19, 12:29 PM
Wow, that is an awesome idea. Pretty much works unless I am checking a box with something potentially shiny in it for traps... are there rules for breaking traps like that?

Coidzor
2011-01-19, 01:23 PM
dungeonscape has a barbarian ACF along similar lines to that for mechanical traps. I think it's just attacking an object though, as with an adamantine mace to a lock.

Person_Man
2011-01-19, 01:45 PM
It takes 2 feats. Shape Soulmeld (Theft Gloves) which grants a 2 + (2 * essentia invested) bonus to Sleight of Hands, Open Lock, and Disable Device, plus Open Least Chakra (Hands) which grants Trapfinding. It's from Magic of Incarnum, which is a great back door for a lot of things (Uncanny Dodge, Imp Uncanny Dodge, Evasion, Diehard, See Invisibility, Fly, Mindlink, Pounce, etc).

But there are a bunch of classes and alternate class features that grant it, so it's usually not worth spending 2 feats on.

Pink
2011-01-19, 01:54 PM
Ask your DM.

If you're a character and class that gets access to the search and disable device yet doesn't have the ability to find and disarm magic traps, check with your DM. While I can't speak for others, I know myself, with pathfinder basically only giving the rogue that ability, I'm quite free to allow other classes that have disable device as a class skill to also find and disable devices.

Gavinfoxx
2011-01-19, 02:10 PM
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19871954/Lists_of_Stuff

It's in there.

nedz
2011-01-19, 02:17 PM
Isn't there a spell for this ?
Knock, Dispel Magic, etc.

Ernir
2011-01-19, 02:25 PM
It takes 2 feats. Shape Soulmeld (Theft Gloves) which grants a 2 + (2 * essentia invested) bonus to Sleight of Hands, Open Lock, and Disable Device, plus Open Least Chakra (Hands) which grants Trapfinding. It's from Magic of Incarnum, which is a great back door for a lot of things (Uncanny Dodge, Imp Uncanny Dodge, Evasion, Diehard, See Invisibility, Fly, Mindlink, Pounce, etc).

But there are a bunch of classes and alternate class features that grant it, so it's usually not worth spending 2 feats on.

It can be done with one feat and 8 ranks in Knowledge: The Planes. The feat is Planar Touchstone: Catalogues of Enlightenment, and the domain you choose is the kobold (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20060420a) domain.

The location and feat are both from from the Planar Handbook.

This carries rather specific fluff requirements, which you may not like.

EDIT: And it looks like Coidzor beat me to the punch by far.

dextercorvia
2011-01-19, 02:27 PM
Isn't there a spell for this ?
Knock, Dispel Magic, etc.

Find Traps is a second level Cleric Spell that allows you to use search to find traps "just like a rogue does".

Edit: Except for acquiring a portable item from the location worth 250gp, there is no fluff associated with gaining the base ability. The feat is here (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20040706a&page=2)

Note you only have to visit the site to gain the higher order ability.