PDA

View Full Version : skirmish and the swift feats

SylvanPrincess
2011-01-19, 01:07 PM
im tinkering with a ranger 4/scout 3/rogue 13 build that uses swift hunter and swift ambusher. it is not optimized by far, but im curious if i can have the 2 feats count with eachother -would my levels add to have skirmish as a lev 20 scout? OR skirmish as a lev 7 scout and a lev 16 scout added together? im confused here. if it works the way i figured it did all combined together, it would have 5d6 skirmish and 7d6 sneak attack.

Keld Denar
2011-01-19, 01:14 PM
You only combine the ones that each feat states you combine.

You'd have the skirmish of a 20th level scout (4+3 from SH, +13 from SA), the favored enemy of a 7th level ranger (4+3) and the sneak attack of 16th level rogue (3 + 13), whatever those values come together as.

Godskook
2011-01-19, 01:23 PM

You'd have the skirmish of a 20th level scout (4+3 from SH, +13 from SA), the favored enemy of a 7th level ranger (4+3) and the sneak attack of 16th level rogue (3 + 13), whatever those values come together as.

Mostly right.

Sneak attack dice are not gained via either swift feat. He'd only have the SA of a level 13 rogue, but qualify for ambush feats as if he had 12 SA dice

SylvanPrincess
2011-01-19, 01:25 PM

thanks keld, good to know, you always come thru with answers

so itd be skirmish 5d6/5ac, 7d6 sneak attack, with 2 favored enemies(one a +2 vs), and can deal skirmish against enemies immune to precision damage.

i feel like this is a good swift hunter alt build. if i were to take the psychic rogue to qualify instead (dm approved) then id have 5d6 SA and 4th level powers. would the power make up for lost sneak attack?

and is the rogue variant class feature 'disruptive attack' any good for a build like this? it would be a second class feature that can affect enemies immune to precision damage.

Mostly right.

Sneak attack dice are not gained via either swift feat. He'd only have the SA of a level 13 rogue, but qualify for ambush feats as if he had 12 SA dice

good catch

Loki Eremes
2011-01-19, 02:03 PM
thanks keld, good to know, you always come thru with answers

so itd be skirmish 5d6/5ac, 7d6 sneak attack, with 2 favored enemies(one a +2 vs), and can deal skirmish against enemies immune to precision damage.

i feel like this is a good swift hunter alt build. if i were to take the psychic rogue to qualify instead (dm approved) then id have 5d6 SA and 4th level powers. would the power make up for lost sneak attack?

and is the rogue variant class feature 'disruptive attack' any good for a build like this? it would be a second class feature that can affect enemies immune to precision damage.

good catch

As far as i remember, Penetrating Strike from Dungeonscape, is better.
Lose trapsense (useless already for a rogue with high reflex) and you now could deal half SA DICE to normally inmune to crit and SA creatures, but i think you need to be flanking tough.

Combine this with Craven (fixed SA damage, not dice) from Champions of the Ruin and you SA shalt be awesome.

Person_Man
2011-01-19, 03:39 PM
Note that multiclass builds in general, and Swift builds specifically, tend to be fairly weak at high levels. The base classes are all Tier 4ish to start with, and by multiclassing them you're giving up or delaying access to your higher level abilities (Special Abilities, 4th level spells, Hide in Plain Sight, Free Movement) in exchange for a relatively small amount of bonus damage. Compounding this issue by multiclassing in 3 classes is even worse.

SylvanPrincess
2011-01-19, 07:00 PM
Note that multiclass builds in general, and Swift builds specifically, tend to be fairly weak at high levels. The base classes are all Tier 4ish to start with, and by multiclassing them you're giving up or delaying access to your higher level abilities (Special Abilities, 4th level spells, Hide in Plain Sight, Free Movement) in exchange for a relatively small amount of bonus damage. Compounding this issue by multiclassing in 3 classes is even worse.

yeah..i realize this, but this class build is an effort to build a starbuck build (battlestar gallactica). maybe futile, maybe ineffective at higher levels, but im willing to give it up for the role play. duly noted though, thanks

As far as i remember, Penetrating Strike from Dungeonscape, is better.
Lose trapsense (useless already for a rogue with high reflex) and you now could deal half SA DICE to normally inmune to crit and SA creatures, but i think you need to be flanking tough.

Combine this with Craven (fixed SA damage, not dice) from Champions of the Ruin and you SA shalt be awesome.

sweet, i am def going to check that out, thanks for the idea.