PDA

View Full Version : Can someone please explain Epic Spell (3.5) casting to me?

Vemynal
2011-01-19, 02:38 PM
Hey, so just a heads up, I've read the SRD on epic spell casting, I know you need the required feat offered at level 21 to take this. I understand that each effect starts off as a "seed" (though thats still a little bit "huh?" for me)

But the main thing I just *don't* get is the spellcraft DC for the spells. I realize that you have to get past the DC on the check to be able to cast the spell but how are characters able to cast spells at a DC of 65, 85 and 100+?

It just doesn't make sense to me and if someone could explain it out for me I'd really appreciate it

hamishspence
2011-01-19, 02:41 PM
By: crafting an item of +30 to Spellcraft, and levelling up.

That said, because of the high costs to research, mitigating factors such as lots of casters, tend to be used to bring it down to 0 DC.

Gullintanni
2011-01-19, 02:50 PM
Hey, so just a heads up, I've read the SRD on epic spell casting, I know you need the required feat offered at level 21 to take this. I understand that each effect starts off as a "seed" (though thats still a little bit "huh?" for me)

But the main thing I just *don't* get is the spellcraft DC for the spells. I realize that you have to get past the DC on the check to be able to cast the spell but how are characters able to cast spells at a DC of 65, 85 and 100+?

It just doesn't make sense to me and if someone could explain it out for me I'd really appreciate it

SpellCraft optimization is an art unto itself, but it usually requires using custom items that add to skills. Consider, for example, that a +30 Spellcraft ring out of the MiC costs 90,000. Factor in 24 Ranks in Spellcraft by level 21, and a +12 from Int and you're casting spells with a Spellcraft DC of 66 without a check. You can get up to 86 with a 20.

With Epic spellcasting you can increase your ability scores arbitrarily high using various bonuses and modifiers. This requires a lot of time and money to manufacture spells, but in theory, you can build permanent spells that allow you to create platinum by 20 cubic feet at a time, so all you really need is time.

Epic spellcasting is very broken.

Keinnicht
2011-01-19, 02:57 PM
That would require someone to understand how Epic Spell rules work. Which no one does. Not even the people who designed it, based on the sample epic spells.

Have you looked at those things? A lot of the "mitigating factors" they used aren't given as examples, which basically means the whole system is "Yeah, whatever, eyeball it."

Which is the same as the rules for making new non-epic spells, but the difference is that if you're going to make specific rules for something, you better damn well follow those rules in your example.

Chilingsworth
2011-01-19, 03:06 PM
Basically, Epic Spellcasting serves two purposes, I think:

1. is to codify a means for super-powerful effects a DM wants to chuck at his/her players.

2. is because the writers realised that they left spellcasting basically capped at 20th level, but the other classes continued to improve (though at a slower rate.) They then figured a level 100 fighter might possibly be stronger than a level 21 wizard, found that intolerable, and made epic spellcasting.