PDA

View Full Version : The New World

Lasagna42
2011-01-19, 03:57 PM
Hi all! Long time reader, first time poster (I think).

I've got a question for Rich (or for anyone else here who knows the answer, I suppose). Is there any intention to finish up "The New World" design process? I must have read the first nine chapters a dozen times - it's fascinating to watch the world develop in that orderly way, and I'd love to see where he takes it next. Is the project abandoned at Chapter Nine, or will there be more?

Yora
2011-01-19, 04:01 PM
That question pops up from time to time, and general consensus seems to be "no".
Some think that this setting is the one that ended up in WotCs ne 3.5e setting competion and got second place (behind Eberron). That setting is now owned by WotC, so he can no longer publish anything about it by himself.

Lasagna42
2011-01-19, 04:21 PM
Ahhh..... that would make sense. He doesn't seem the type to leave something unfinished, particularly something that cool.

OK, The New World is a bust. I still had a great time reading it, though. Do you (or anyone else here) know of another webpage that follows someone designing a campaign setting (or a campaign, or a dungeon) in the same sort of formulaic way? It was a terrific read - watching something created from the ground up like that. I don't mean a site with homemade campaigns - there are plenty of those - I mean a page where someone who knows what he's doing tracks the design process.

zimmerwald1915
2011-01-20, 02:45 AM
That question pops up from time to time, and general consensus seems to be "no".
Some think that this setting is the one that ended up in WotCs ne 3.5e setting competion and got second place (behind Eberron). That setting is now owned by WotC, so he can no longer publish anything about it by himself.
I heard that the setting entered into the WotC contest has in fact never been shown to the public and in all likelihood never will be. I heard that the New World was put on hold because Rich devoted his time to OotS, and will be resurrected once OotS has concluded.

0Megabyte
2011-01-20, 03:44 AM
It does seem a shame to keep something like that completely in the dark for all time, especially if they thought enough of it to make it the runner-up.

But then, corporations don't seem to have much shame.

Killer Angel
2011-01-20, 04:21 AM
I heard that the New World was put on hold because Rich devoted his time to OotS, and will be resurrected once OotS has concluded.

So, no need to hold our breath... :smalltongue:
In the end, using Roland's words: "unless there's been news, there's no news". :smallcool:

Lasagna42
2011-01-20, 11:41 AM
Total bummer. He was just reaching a peak with the development process, too.

Anyone know of any other similar webpage - where you follow along as someone develops a gaming world? I'd like to check that out.