PDA

View Full Version : Debuff Generic Spellcaster

taintedfire
2011-01-19, 04:21 PM
Hey all,

So in a current campaign, the DM decided to go with the generic classes out of UA and I was excited because I have been wanting to try these out for a long time. Right away I realized two things: 1.) I had to pick the spellcaster because it is so baller, and 2.) I could not just go for the most powerful build possible because that did not feel like a challenge and potentially make it not enjoyable for the other characters

I picked a debuff niche, focusing on ability damage) because it would not be a build that could destroy everything but would still be very powerful in the game (and really funny when I make the BBEG suck worse than his minions). The problem is that I have access to every spell in the game, but since the generic spellcaster works like a sorcerer, I can only cast a small portion of them. I want to have all my bases covered and pick spells effectively.

Character level: 4
Books allowed: PHB, PHB2, Spell Compendium and any Complete

Current build:
Feats: Scribe Scroll (for others in the party), and Empower Spell (for later levels) - projected: Reach Spell, Split Ray

Spells: ()-projected
1: Grease, Ray of Enfeeblement, Ray of Clumsiness
2: Web, (Sting Ray), (Phantasmal Assailants), (Touch of Idiocy)
3: (Dehydrate/Infestation of Maggots), (Curse of Impending Blades, Mass), (Slow), (Ray of Exhaustion)
4: (Enervation), (Bestow Curse),
5: (Cloudkill), (Feeblemind), (Hold Monster), (Baleful Polymorph)
6: (Greater Dispel Magic), (Flesh to Stone)
7: (Antimagic Ray)

This is clearly an underdeveloped list. I usually don't play spellcasters and when I have in the past, Spell Compendium was disallowed, so I am missing several good spells from there as well as a bunch of good divine spells.

Lend me your knowledge and wisdom.

Show
2011-01-19, 07:08 PM
2: Web, (Sting Ray), (Phantasmal Assailants), (Touch of Idiocy)

I'm not the greatest resource, but it seems like ray of stupidity would be a better choice than touch of idiocy. It is practically the same thing (3.5 average damage vs 3.5, touch attack vs touch attack), but is guaranteed to beat animals 100% of the time, and is a ray so you don't have to get involved in melee. I don't know what you'd switch for it, but you might also want to look at glitterdust.

Also, you might have too many debuff spells. Really, it is worth it to switch out one or two of them at each level in order to be more versatile and, overall, useful.