PDA

View Full Version : Making my first Gish.

Master Thrower
2011-01-19, 06:16 PM
So i've decided to make a gish character. Only problem is im not really sure how to. I would like to include levels of spellsword and eldritch knight. It is a tenth level campaign
Books usable are- PH,DMG,PlH,DrC,CA,CD,CadV,CW,LB

Beelzebub1111
2011-01-19, 06:17 PM
Starting at 10th level or Going to 10th level?

Master Thrower
2011-01-19, 06:19 PM
Starting at 10th level or Going to 10th level?

starting at tenth

Essence_of_War
2011-01-19, 06:22 PM
What books do you have access to? Usually abjurant champion from com. Mage. is the ideal gish class. I think paladin 2/sorcerer 6 will get you in.

Keld Denar
2011-01-19, 06:32 PM
Do you want a wizard base or a sorcerer base? Or a bard base?

Sorcadin is pretty awesome:
Paladin2/Sorcerer4/Spellsword1/AbjChamp3 at 10th level, progression with
AbjChamp+2/SacredExorcist8

The nice thing is that Cha is a pretty easy stat to exploit. If you check the X to Y list, you can see that you can stack Cha on everything. To hit, damage, AC, saves, etc. Lots of great Cha synergy.

A wizard base would be a bit different.
Fighter1/Wizard6/Spellsword1/AbjChamp2 would be pretty standard. Continue with:
AbjChamp+3/EK7 or Sacred Exorcist7 to taste.

Alternatives would be Suel Arcanamach as a base caster for a more martially oriented character, or Swiftblade from the WotC website for a haste centric gish caster.

Whatcha lookin for?

Master Thrower
2011-01-19, 06:35 PM
Do you want a wizard base or a sorcerer base? Or a bard base?

Sorcadin is pretty awesome:
Paladin2/Sorcerer4/Spellsword1/AbjChamp3 at 10th level, progression with
AbjChamp+2/SacredExorcist8

The nice thing is that Cha is a pretty easy stat to exploit. If you check the X to Y list, you can see that you can stack Cha on everything. To hit, damage, AC, saves, etc. Lots of great Cha synergy.

A wizard base would be a bit different.
Fighter1/Wizard6/Spellsword1/AbjChamp2 would be pretty standard. Continue with:
AbjChamp+3/EK7 or Sacred Exorcist7 to taste.

Alternatives would be Suel Arcanamach as a base caster for a more martially oriented character, or Swiftblade from the WotC website for a haste centric gish caster.

Whatcha lookin for?

Im thinking a sorcerer base. But no AbJChamp as its in a book my group doesnt play with:smallfrown:

Keld Denar
2011-01-19, 06:39 PM
Ouch bro, thats rough...AbjChamp is a godsend for gishes. Getting a +9 shield effect as a swift action really goes a long ways toward improving your action economy...

Hmmmm, can you use swiftblade?

Cause something like a Sorcerer6/Swiftblade10/SacredExorcist4 would be a pretty nifty little gish. You'd need to be an Elf or Lesser Assimar or spend a feat on Militia to learn a couple of martial weapons, but its pretty straight forward...

Round 1: Cast Haste
Round 2: Kick booty
Round 3: Repeat Round 2.

Starbuck_II
2011-01-19, 06:44 PM
Ouch bro, thats rough...AbjChamp is a godsend for gishes. Getting a +9 shield effect as a swift action really goes a long ways toward improving your action economy...

Hmmmm, can you use swiftblade?

Cause something like a Sorcerer6/Swiftblade10/SacredExorcist4 would be a pretty nifty little gish. You'd need to be an Elf or Lesser Assimar or spend a feat on Militia to learn a couple of martial weapons, but its pretty straight forward...

Round 1: Cast Haste
Round 2: Kick booty
Round 3: Repeat Round 2.

He could be a Neraphim they learn all martials since they are outsiders (not native to material plane though).

the clumsy bard
2011-01-19, 06:49 PM
Gish prestige classes available in the books you listed:

Dragonslayer 1 (draconimicon)
Eldritch Knight (DMG)
Sacred Exorcist (CD)
Spellsword (CW)

Endarire
2011-01-19, 07:57 PM
Can you use online material (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=1109.0)?

Master Thrower
2011-01-19, 07:57 PM
Gish prestige classes available in the books you listed:

Dragonslayer 1 (draconimicon)
Eldritch Knight (DMG)
Sacred Exorcist (CD)
Spellsword (CW)

so a build would be something like wizard 5 fighter 1 spellsword 1 Eldritch knight x?

herrhauptmann
2011-01-19, 10:40 PM
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/prc/20070327
Here's the swiftblade

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2011-01-19, 11:12 PM
No SC or MIC is going to hurt, but luckily most of your better spells also appear in CV. I'd recommend a Wizard base due to (Rod of) Quicken Spell, since you can't use a Circlet of Rapid Casting or Abjurant Champion.

Usually you would go either Fighter 1/ Wizard 6/ Spellsword 1/ EK, or Fighter 2/ Wizard 4/ Spellsword 1/ EK. Starting out Wizard 5/ Fighter 1/ Spellsword doesn't meet the BAB prerequisite. Can you use UA material from the SRD (http://www.d20srd.org/)? The Martial Wizard (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#wizard) variant would give you a Fighter bonus feat instead of Scribe Scroll and your Wizard 5 bonus feat. If you would prefer to start out Fighter 2/ Wizard 4/ Spellsword, you would be better off with Fighter 1/ Wizard 2/ Human or Elf Paragon (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/races/racialParagonClasses.htm) 3/ Spellsword instead.

For feats, you'll definitely want Power Attack, Arcane Strike (CW), and Practiced Spellcaster (CA/CD). Leap Attack (CV) is highly recommended, and Combat Reflexes tends to be useful as well. Take Extend Spell if you plan to pick up Persistent Spell (CA) at level 15, otherwise just use (lesser) metamagic rods of extend. Take Sculpt Spell (CA) to use with Whirling Blade, make four 10 ft. cubes and overlap them on the same area so it gives you four attacks on each of four creatures. You can charge with power attack, leap attack, and arcane strike, then use a lesser rod of quicken to cast a sculpted whirling blade and it will hit four creatures each four times with all those same bonuses from your charge. For your ability scores, max out Int and Con, and make sure your Str score is high enough to get Power Attack. You'll probably be using Polymorph in combat so your Str and Dex scores won't really matter. (Greater) Mage Armor and Shield will be your primary defense, along with the typically high natural armor bonus of whatever form you take. Other good spells include (Persistable) Bladeweave (CV), (Extended) (Persistable) Wraithstrike (CV), Greater Magic Weapon, and Haste. A few AoE crowd control spells like Web and Black Tentacles are also good to have on hand.

dextercorvia
2011-01-19, 11:35 PM
Nitpick: Overlapping the area of a Sculpted Whirling Blade doesn't work that way. It is still going to attack any creature in the area once.

Coidzor
2011-01-20, 03:27 AM
Books usable are- PH,DMG,PlH,DrC,CA,CD,CadV,CW,LB

Ok, what are DrC and LB? I've never seen those two before.

ArcanistSupreme
2011-01-20, 07:57 AM
Ok, what are DrC and LB? I've never seen those two before.

DrC is Dragon Compendium and I'm guessing LB is Libris Mortis, but I'm not sure.

Master Thrower
2011-01-20, 08:06 AM
DrC is Dragon Compendium and I'm guessing LB is Libris Mortis, but I'm not sure.

yes those are correct sorry about the confusion. Hmm so I like wizard 1 fighter 2. But which paragon is better for a gish? human or elf

Assassin89
2011-01-20, 08:23 AM
yes those are correct sorry about the confusion. Hmm so I like wizard 1 fighter 2. But which paragon is better for a gish? human or elf

My opinion here is that human paragon is slightly better. The more flexible bonus feat may help more than weapon focus for a specific elf weapon.

Coidzor
2011-01-20, 09:02 AM

Human Paragon is better than Elf Paragon hands down, gish or no gish. You've got the ability to choose where your ability up goes as well as what kind of feat you get (because frankly, weapon focus is a turkey), plus it actually gives a non-redundant weapon proficiency.

Admittedly, the skill advantage is a tad blunted due to your lack of prerequisites to meet... But elves are bad gishes anyway due to the Con hit.

Which makes one wonder why the designers kept banging their heads on the wall and making elf-only gish PrCs...

Keld Denar
2011-01-20, 11:10 AM
Eh, you can always take UMD as a class skill forever. You can NEVER have too much UMD.

Keinnicht
2011-01-20, 05:26 PM
Only dip into spellsword a level or two, you lose too much casting.