PDA

View Full Version : Dragoon Homebrew

NeverSleep
2011-01-20, 12:15 AM
First Post!

I've been reading for a while, but I just signed up. I play 3.5, and this is a homebrew shot at the dragoon made famous by the Final Fantasy series.

Only partial post fix here, sorry.

Dragoon

"Jump from the top of the tower? Thanks!"

Vega, Dragoon Class 3

BAB: Fighter
HD: D10
Saves: Fighter
Proficient: All simple and martial weapons, no Shields.

Skills: 4+int
Intimidate(cha), Diplomacy(cha), UMD(cha), Spot(wis), Listen(wis), Climb(str), Jump(str), Profession(int), Knowledge - Arcana(int), Tumble(dex), Craft(int)

Dragoon
{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special|Ignore Falling Damage

1st|
+1|
+2|
+0|
+0|Weapon proficiency: Dragon Lance, Short-haft, Dragoon Jump||

2nd|
+2|
+3|
+0|
+0|Skill Focus: Jump, Dragoon Jump, Fearless||

3rd|
+3|
+3|
+1|
+1|Dragoon Burst, Dragoon Armor Efficiency: 2|
10|

4th|
+4|
+4|
+1|
+1|Leap of the Heavens||

5th|
+5|
+4|
+1|
+1|Battle Jump(modified), Charge Target 2|
15|

6th|
+6|
+5|
+2|
+2|Dragon Blood Initiation, Dragon Heart: Frightful Presence, Dragoon Armor Efficiency: 4

7th|
+7|
+5|
+2|
+2|High Arc|
20|

8th|
+8|
+6|
+2|
+2|Practiced Jumper

9th|
+9|
+6|
+3|
+3|Dragon Breath Weapon|
25|

10th|
+10|
+7|
+3|
+3|Charge Target 3

11th|
+11|
+7|
+3|
+3|Big Guy|
30|

12th|
+12|
+8|
+4|
+4|Dragon Heart: Dragon Wings

13th|
+13|
+8|
+4|
+4|Ride the Wind|
35|

14th|
+14|
+9|
+4|
+4|Improved Practiced Jumper

15th|
+15|
+9|
+5|
+5|Dragon Heart: Spell Resistance, Charge Target 4|
40|

16th|
+16|
+10|
+5|
+5|Huge Arc

17th|
+17|
+10|
+5|
+5|Dragon Heart: Improved Frightful Presence, True Fearlessness|
45|

18th|
+18|
+11|
+6|
+6|Dragan Heart: Dragon Shape

19th|
+19|
+11|
+6|
+6||
50|

20th|
20x|
+12|
+6|
+6|Dragon Heart: Dragon Form|
Ignore All|[/table]

Note to self: Dragoon Charge and Fearless need expainations

Exotic Weapon:
Dragoon Lance is the same as a lance(reach, damage), but it deals piercing damage in a regular attack and bludgeoning damage on a dragoon charge. In mid air, you turn it around and land feet first on a shield-like base. May be "Short Hafted", resulting in bludgeoning damage from the shield side. May be set up to defend against a charge(+2). When used in an dragoon charge, you add damage based on how far you charged(as falling damage calculations). You may also bull rush or over-run your opponent in addition to dealing combat damage(only if this is the last target of your charge).

This is the closest to the concept (http://www.giantbomb.com/bangaa-dragoon/92-1219/) I found with a quick search. The base should be bigger, and shaped more like a shield. If anyone has a better link, or cares to create an image, please share!

Dragoon Charge:

The attack style of the dragoon. A leaping attack that does additional damage based on the height achieved in the maneuver. The shield end of the dragoon lance is used. A dragoon never takes damage for falling if it is part of a dragoon charge. After the attack, the dragoon ends up 10' away from the target.

Playgrounders... What is the damage cap for falling?

Dragoon Jump:

You add your Dragoon level to jump checks.

Fearless:

You add half your Dragoon level to checks against fear effects.

Dragoon Burst:

As a swift action, move 10 feet, any direction in a straight line(need not be applied all at once during a full round of charges/Jump charges). You may use this as part of a move action and as part of a dragoon charge. The distance increases as class level increases. +5 feet per 2 levels. You provoke attacks of opportunities as normal. If you use this action to avoid an attack, the attacker gets an AoO at their highest attack modifier. This ability may only be used once per round.

Charge Target:

As long as you have an additional charge target remaining, you may charge multiple times with a full round action. The second target must be reachable via jump movement only. You may attack the same target twice, but not twice in a row.

Dragon Heart Frightful presence:

As Dragon effect, Save is 10+Con or Cha+half dragoon level. 30 foot radius

High Arc:

Jump calculations say the height achieved on a mainly horizontal leap is 1/4 of the distance jumped. For Dragoons it becomes 1/2.

Practiced Jumper:

You may "Take 10" on jump checks

Dragon Heart, Breath Weapon:

You produce a 20 foot cone/ 40 ft line of the dragon type chosen as your patron. Save = 10+1/2 dragoon level rounded down+con mod for 1/2 damage. 5D6 Damage

Big Guy:

If wearing medium armor or heavier, Dragoon is treated as one size larger during a charge/bull run/overrun attempts(weapon damage included)

Ride the Wind:

Dragoon Charge damage is as if on Horse. Multiplies charge damage with bludgeoning side of dragoon lance.

Dragon Heart, Dragon Wings: -

As RotD

Dragon Heart, Spell Resistance:

Dragoon Level + Con Mod

Huge Arc:

DC for vertical feet equals horizontal feat. 20 check = 20 vertical feet.

Dragon Heart, Improved Frightful Presence:

Save = 15 + dragoon levels + CON mod

Dragoon Heart, Dragon Shape:

Con +2 base ability increase, Natural armor +4

Dragoon Heart Dragon Form:

Con +4(total) base ability increase, Natural Armor +8(total from this class), breath weapon improves to 15d8 , 80 foot line/40 foot cone.

Notes:

The fluff for this class will include having a favorite dragon type/color - potentially granting a bonus to diplomacy checks with that type of dragon. It also determines the type of breath weapon. You must be within 1 step of the dragon's alignment.

Dragoon armor will be masterwork armor built especially with dragoon's "special needs" in mind(+100 gold to base price).

Dragoon burst is a supernatural ability.

What do you guys think? Is it missing anything? How is the power level? Any suggestions for flavor? Any rules unclear?

Thanks in advance for the help.

~NeverSleep~

Frog Dragon
2011-01-20, 12:49 AM
Steal a table (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10313) from Fax's guide. Also, you should bold ability names and the like.

Morph Bark
2011-01-20, 10:30 AM
Considering I got my own Dragoon class made (the Limit Dragoon), I'll be interested in seeing the execution, though I will wait until the presentation of this class looks cleaner and more readable (as done with bolding the names of class abilities and putting stuff in a table).

DracoDei
2011-01-20, 11:14 AM
See above, except mine was a PrC.

Knowledge of dragons would fall under Knowledge(Arcana) I do believe, unless you want to gimp them by giving them a specialized skill that costs the same, but applies to fewer situations.

Slam is an attack type, not a damage type. You probably mean bludgeoning.

+100 GPs isn't going to be reachable until 2nd level at the earliest, and probably more like 3rd.

Keinnicht
2011-01-20, 05:20 PM
Don't make them have to take a feat to be able to make an attack within 5 feet with the weapon the class is based around.

NeverSleep
2011-01-20, 10:09 PM
In the process of fixing the OP right now. Thanks for all the input so far.

@Keinnicht

Don't make them have to take a feat to be able to make an attack within 5 feet with the weapon the class is based around.

Done, 1rst level.

@DracoDei

Knowledge of dragons would fall under Knowledge(Arcana) I do believe, unless you want to gimp them by giving them a specialized skill that costs the same, but applies to fewer situations.

I haven't decided on this yet.

Slam is an attack type, not a damage type. You probably mean bludgeoning.

You're right. Fixed that.

+100 GPs isn't going to be reachable until 2nd level at the earliest, and probably more like 3rd.

Changed it slightly. The concept is to let them wear big heavy armer they can still jump around in. Not sure if I like it yet though.

@Frog Dragon

Steal a table from Fax's guide. Also, you should bold ability names and the like.

Very nice link in there. Very helpful for a new poster. Thanks. I'm working with the tables and html now.

NeverSleep
2011-01-24, 12:15 AM
Bump.

Ok, I've got all the crunch up there now. And the table helps for clarity.

Does it seem to complicated? He's pretty focused on needing open air to be effective. Should I change the weapon to lance with piercing damage?

Let me know what other issues you are thinking of.