PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on class and related PO for a 3.5 gestalt game

Essence_of_War
2011-01-20, 03:15 AM
I generated the following stats for a gestalt game and can be arranged to taste:

My requirements are:
Level 8 gestalt with standard WBL, no tier 1 classes, no more than 3 classes total per side, no template stacking, any LA or RHD come off of one side of gestalt only. Anything in 3.5 is otherwise fair game if employed responsibly.

My tentative plan was to do:
Warblade8//Factotum8 or Warblade8//Psion8
Arranging: Str: 18 Dex:13 Con: 16 Int: 18 Wis 14 Cha: 13

I looked over the other submissions and other than an Ardent//Incarnate, there is a ton of melee but not much in the way of other stuff. I'm a little worried that all of the melee folks are either Crusaders or have AC's over 35 and some of them have Touch AC's that are almost as high!

Would it be a better idea to find myself some sort of non-melee niche to carve out?

Sebastrd
2011-01-20, 10:00 AM
On one side take Erudite with the alternate class feature that lets you learn arcane and divine spells as powers but limits your number of unique powers per day. On the other side take any class that grants full BAB, good fort and reflex saves, and heavy armor proficiency.

Elan is probably your best bet for race.

A more interesting choice would be warforged. You could self-heal with your psionic powers, you get a decent Con, you don't really need Wis or Cha, you get some fun immunities, and the best part is you can refer to all of your party mates as "meatshield" or "meatbag".

Escheton
2011-01-20, 10:11 AM
erudite is tier 1, otherwise good idea.

Having a lvl of marshall can add cha to any one thing. 3 lvls of factotum adds int to str and dex checks. Phrenic is nice to even it out and get some neat options, statboosts and power resist.
Now add in some bardness on the other side.

Take str, int and cha as main stats.

Use a whip, get knockdown. Add str, cha and int to the trip check.
Have fun with that melee niche and otherwise buff and cast a bit. Be the social butterfly, fix traps. Do everything you damnwell please.

LordBlades
2011-01-20, 10:15 AM
If you want to steer away from melee, Psion 8//Factotum 8 might also be an interesting choice IMHO.

Unarmed swordsage 8//psywar 8 could also prove an interesting melee option.

Gnaeus
2011-01-20, 10:26 AM
I generated the following stats for a gestalt game and can be arranged to taste:

My requirements are:
Level 8 gestalt with standard WBL, no tier 1 classes, no more than 3 classes total per side, no template stacking, any LA or RHD come off of one side of gestalt only. Anything in 3.5 is otherwise fair game if employed responsibly.

My tentative plan was to do:
Warblade8//Factotum8 or Warblade8//Psion8
Arranging: Str: 18 Dex:13 Con: 16 Int: 18 Wis 14 Cha: 13

I looked over the other submissions and other than an Ardent//Incarnate, there is a ton of melee but not much in the way of other stuff. I'm a little worried that all of the melee folks are either Crusaders or have AC's over 35 and some of them have Touch AC's that are almost as high!

Would it be a better idea to find myself some sort of non-melee niche to carve out?

If they are all melee, I would carve out a different niche. something like:
Pixie/Factotum 4//Spirit Shaman or Favored Soul or Sorcerer 8 or Marrulurk/Rogue 2/Swordsage2//Spirit Shaman or Favored Soul or Sorcerer 8. With level 8 gestalt and those racial rules you can easily cover either arcane or divine casting + sneak/trapfinder, with enough left over to be able to do a lot of damage if you need to and a casting stat in the mid 20s before buffs.

The Marrulurk might look like:
Str 15
Dex 20
Con 17
Int 16
Wis 24
Cha 24

(or dex 22, Int 14 for less skills but better ranged performance, ref save and init).

Mithril chain Shirt +1 (twilight if you are a sorc) gives 29 AC before any other items (22 touch, 24 flatfooted)(35 AC would be easy to reach if you wanted, +2 Dex, +2 Wis, +1 ring, and Shield or Barkskin put you at 36 or 35). +4d6 sneak attack (going up to 6d6 next level with assassins stance). Evasion. Good reflex and will saves and decent fort save. Bonus Feats of Point Blank Shot and Rapid Shot and longbow proficiency make you an excellent sniper before you take any feats.
Death Attack, Nauseating Breath, Poison Use
Darkvision 60 ft
+4 racial to Hide/Move Silently
Discriminating Hearing
Resistance to Dessication
Resist Fire 5
Low-Light Vision
And THEN you are a full caster, on top of that. Continue leveling in your casting class, and Rogue or Swordsage as you prefer.

Edit: AND you get to look like Anubis.

Noneoyabizzness
2011-01-20, 12:00 PM
wilder8/warlock 8 or Bard/DFA 8 (or swap wilder/dfa and bard/warlock8)

if you want high bab go duskblade8/(warlock7 SPELLSWORD1) that way get to ignore spell fail chance on light shields on warlocks side. call yourself the knight from hell and let loose

Essence_of_War
2011-01-20, 03:09 PM
Tentative build looks like:

Lesser Aasimar
Paladin 2/Favored Soul 6 // Wilder (educated ACF) 8

Stats:
18 -> 20
18 -> 20 ->22 (level adds)

This gives a huge boost to saves. Plan to use the Favored Soul spells for buffing and some Out of Combat healing, use the wilder for some DD/Battlefield control. In particular I want to use the first expanded knowledge to pick up Astral Construct or Energy Missile, and use the next one at 9th level to pick up the other.

Any ideas for swift/immediate action spells/powers to help improve the action economy?

Also Sanctified Mind might be available for the Wilder side, is it worth the Iron Will to get the neat abilities? My Cha is already great and usually this is an awkward aspect of it for the psion/psywar who gets into Sanctified Mind.

Keld Denar
2011-01-20, 03:18 PM
Needs Turn Undead from something. Really, TU is an amazing ability. Use it to power Divine and Devotion feats, most of which allow you to wield your Cha score like a sword.

I'd go Paladin4/Martial4//Wilder8

This is slightly more elegant, as it drops the stunted FS casting, picks up TU, and gives you full BAB to PA with. Law Devotion gives you a +3 to hit or AC, Strength Devotion would give you a natural Slam attack, Animal Devotion would give you a host of abilities, among them a +4 bonus to Str or non-magical Flight, and Travel Devotion gives you swift action movement.

A great Martial side might be 4 levels of Crusader, or possibly Crusader1/Warblade2/Crusader+1.

That 2nd would give you a 3rd level stance, which you could take Thicket of Blades if you want. You'd also have to real gems like Emerald Razor on the Warblade side and Revitalizing Strike on the Crusader side.

Or heck, you could go Paladin4/Crusader1/RubyKnightVindicator3 on that side. Still full BAB, but you get a twing of Shadow Hand, which is useful, and eventually work your way up to the awesome Divine Impetus for extra swift actions. Since you are advancing Pally casting, Battle Blessing might be a boon as this makes all Paladin spells swift actions, allowing you to readily buff with Divine Impetus.

Urpriest
2011-01-20, 03:27 PM
Or heck, you could go Paladin4/Crusader1/RubyKnightVindicator3 on that side. Still full BAB, but you get a twing of Shadow Hand, which is useful, and eventually work your way up to the awesome Divine Impetus for extra swift actions. Since you are advancing Pally casting, Battle Blessing might be a boon as this makes all Paladin spells swift actions, allowing you to readily buff with Divine Impetus.

Additional Divine Impetus Combo: get Hustle on your Wilder, get Psionic Meditation, and use more metapsionics than advisable/Deep Impact to your heart's content.

Essence_of_War
2011-01-20, 03:59 PM
That is downright saucy keld and urpriest! What is the source fo battle blessing?

Keld Denar
2011-01-20, 04:03 PM
Complete Champion. Also has Awesome Smite, a tactical feat to get more mileage out of your smite attacks. Great for knocking a fool on his buttocks.

Essence_of_War
2011-01-20, 04:07 PM
That is downright saucy keld and urpriest! What is the source fo battle blessing?

Coidzor
2011-01-21, 03:14 AM

Complete Champion. IIRC, it has most of the things to make Paladins have some niftiness to them.