PDA

View Full Version : Magic Item Critique and help.

Infernum
2011-01-20, 03:35 AM
I am planning on bestowing some rewards upon my party at the end of an long adventure plot line. I have three of the characters figured out: Barbarian, Ranger, Druid. But the Gnome Illusionist/Thief is where I am having some trouble, I just cant figure out what to give him, a buff, an item? He is split evenly down the middle with three levels in each class. I have some ideas for some things, but am not 100% satisfied with them. I have contemplated a sash the is untouchable unless you wield magic that grants a armor bonus and some magical abilities, or perhaps a robe of many (Illlution) things, where alot of the items are illusions. I would like some input on this and ideas as well.

In addition, I would like some opinions on the magic items and buff I have created for the others.

Here are the Items.

The Barbarian will be getting an intelligent sword. I have a back story and will post it if someone wants.

Ellean’s Will
+2 Bastard Sword
Shed light like a torch
Bestows Endure Elements
Bless: 3 per day
Bane: 1 per day vs evil (DC:13)
Blindness/Deafness 1 per week against Evil/Cruel (DC:14)
Int: 10 Wis: 14 Cha: 14
Ego:11
Purpose: To stop innately cruel and evil acts and to bring hope to those who have none. If the sword witnesses innately evil or cruel acts, it will compel its wielder to take action and stop it. If it sees a down trodden person, it will attempt to lift there spirits.

This bastard swords blade is that of highly polished steel, enough so that one can see ones own reflection in it. The cross guard is composed of electrum, while the grip is wrapped in gray doeskin. The pommel is made of electrum and engraved with a scene of the sun breaking from behind clouds. Its scabbard is made from iron bound in gray doeskin and studded with several smithsonite stones, with electrum locket and chape.

The Ranger will be getting a combo of Cloak and Boots of Elvenkind that work as a set. There is back story and fluff to these items for goings on in my world that I can post if so desired.

Theliens Battle Gear

Cloak and Boots of Elvenkind
While wearing both the boots and cloak, you gain a +10 movement speed, +1 to AC and saving throws and +2 to Dexterity in addition to the normal magic benefits of the items. In addition, you may use pass with out trace at will outside and gain the Braciation feat.

The Druid will be getting a magical enchantment laid upon him. Again, world/plot fluff is not posted.

Bands of the Elements
You must choose which element is in effect, changing element is a move action.
-Constant air flows around you.
Air: +2 to AC against Ranged attacks, +1 to hit with ranged weapons
-Your skin takes on a dull brown-gray color and has an earth consistency.
Earth: DR 2 Adamantine
-Fire: Your are shrouded in a flickering writhe of flame.
Flame Aura deals 1d4+1 fire damage to opponents who use natural weapons or grapple and grants Fire Resist 5
-Water: You are moist and slick to the touch, almost as if you were under water.
Gain a +4 to Escape Artist and +2 to getting out of grapples, can sense nearby water (100 ft).
-Natures Embrace: If you remain surrounded by the elements for one week without protection you may benefit from the effects of the Regenerate spell usable once every season, may not be recharged in the same season. However, using this removes one of the elements from the bands. Only immersing the bands in that element for one season will return the benefits of said element. Should all the elements be used, the bands take a whole year to recharge their magic.

Let me know what you think and what ideas you have.

Gabe the Bard
2011-01-20, 04:41 AM
Is the Gnome Illusionist Thief the party's trapfinder? If so, Arcane Thieves' Tools from the Magic Item Compendium could be nice. They're masterwork thieves' tools that let you burn a spell or spell slot to gain a +5 competence bonus to a disable device or open lock check.

Infernum
2011-01-20, 09:58 AM
That might work, but it seems to pale in comparison to the other items and buff I am granting.

Gabe the Bard
2011-01-20, 11:21 AM
You could give him some other abilities on top that. Perhaps a free feat, like Still Spell or Silent Spell. Having played an arcane trickster myself, I've often found that my DM seemed to be at a loss for what items to give me.

If you're looking for something more combat oriented, maybe you could give him a new weapon. A luck blade minus the wishes may be comparable to the barbarian's new sword.

Keld Denar
2011-01-20, 11:36 AM
-Constant air flows around you.

Dewd, I would have the ability on at ALL times. Everyone else looks normal, but you're hair and cloak constantly blow epicly in your own personal wind effect. Screw the rest of the bonuses, I'd just wanna look cool as hell!

Do you have access to the MIC? A good item to start with as a base would be a Circlet of Rapid Casting. Its got 3 charges. You can spend 1 charge to quicken a 1st or 2nd level spell with no increase in time or adjustment in level. If you spend 2 charges, you can quicken a spell thats 3rd or lower. If you burn all 3 charges, you can quicken one spell of 4th level or lower.

Its great for any caster. You have a 1/day nova, or a little extra action advantage with your low level spells. Just for a heads up, it has a 15,000g base cost, so keep that in mind when balancing against other players items.

An alternative might be something like similar to Runestaff of Illusions. When held, the user can lose any prepared spell to spontaneously cast any X Image spell of equal level or lower. This would give him tons of flexibility in memorizing spells, as he'd never have to memorize another illusion again, yet all of his spell could potentially become illusions on a whim.

Stanlee
2011-01-20, 11:38 AM
Mispost, sorry

Infernum
2011-01-20, 12:25 PM
Hmm a staff that grants a swap of spells for illusions huh....maybe. I might use the Sash of There-Not There: +2 AC, +1 CL Illusions, Ethereal Jaunt 1/week....needs more to it though.

Keld Denar
2011-01-20, 12:50 PM
How about something like +20% quasireality for [Shadow] subtype spells as well? Thats pretty minor. I'm talking about jazz like Shadow Conjouration or Shadow Evocation...if you make the Will save vs the shadow effect, you are still affected by a lesser amount of the spell because its partially real. I dunno if he uses a lot of [Shadow] spells?

A simple thing could be a +1 DC boost to Illusions?

A fun thing would be that the staff can take over concentration on a given illusion. Most X Image spells require continuous concentration to maintain. Maybe as a swift action, you can transfer control of an illusion over to the staff 3/day for up to 10 rounds, allowing you to cast other spells on subsequent turns.

Gabe the Bard
2011-01-21, 12:19 AM
Along the lines of Keld Denar's suggestion, maybe you could give him the ability make his figment illusions quasi-real, sort of like the Shadowcraft mage. They could be less real than the shadow spells and not cause actual damage. Instead, they could be just real enough to distract an opponent and give a flanking bonus to the illusionist thief, allowing him to sneak attack more easily. Maybe some nondamaging effects could also be quasi-real, like a figment of a grease or web spell.

This may be more useful in the short run, since he won't have access to shadow spells for quite some time.

Infernum
2011-01-21, 02:59 AM
Maybe I can go with my "Sash of There/NotThere". It only exists to the wearer and to those with magical sight or senses. It bestows a +2 to AC and grants the wearer the ability to function as There/NotThere, everything the character does and that is done to the character that is of a physical nature has a 50% chance of failure as the character now exists there and not there at the same time.