PDA

View Full Version : Simple Q&A D&D 3.5 (by RAW) XVI

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

averagejoe
2011-01-20, 03:37 AM
(This is a fairly high procedure thread; please read the entire instructions carefully before posting. Thanks.)

Ever have a simple, straight-forward rules question that you can’t figure out the answer to? Ask it here. No question is too simple. No more worrying about whether your question is “worth” starting a thread. Ask here and receive an answer. You are, of course, welcome to start a thread for your question, and if you think your question is subject to many interpretations or will start a debate, you are encouraged to start a new thread for it.

This thread will serve as a catch-all for simple, discreet questions that can be answered quickly according to the RAW (Rules As Written). This thread is for all simple RAW questions about D&D 3.5.

If your question is about D&D 4e or some other system, ask here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=6837321)
If your question is about real world weapons and armor ask it here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=168432).
If your question is about homebrew rulings start a thread here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=30).
If you are looking for the meaning of an acronym or abbreviation look here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18512).
If you want to find a certain feat or ability, Lists of Stuff (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19871954/Lists_of_Stuff) and X stat to Y bonus (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19871590/X_stat_to_Y_bonus) are both useful threads.

The Procedure:

Do:
Label your questions with bold Q#s.
Label your answers with the bold Q# that you are responding to and/or quote the question.
Be sure that your answer is correct before you post it; if you are the least bit uncertain, just let it pass and get the next one.
Try to give your answers in as clear and straightforward terms as possible.
Feel free to quote or link to relevant rules in the SRD, Errata, or FAQ that supports your answer. (You may want to give your answer and then modify it to add support – otherwise someone else may answer while you’re assembling yours.)
Specify if your question is for a system other than D&D (the default for this thread).

Don’t:
Ask Homebrew rules questions here.
Ask trick questions or attempt to “stump the panel,” so to speak.
Answer a question that’s already been answered.
Offer contradictions, clarifications, exceptions, or extensions of prior answers unless, in your opinion, the answer give is plainly and completely wrong.
Post to debate the answers given.
Post to carry on other conversations whether tangentially related or wholly unrelated.

Dispute Resolution Procedure:
If you dispute someone’s answer – meaning that they got it wrong in a critical fashion – post your answer and suggest that the original questioner start a thread to discuss it further if they want it hashed out.
If someone disputes your answer, don’t respond. Just wait to see if the original questioner starts a new thread to discuss it.
If your question leads to a disputed answer, start a new thread if you’d like it discussed further.

Here are some sample questions. “Bad” questions just mean they should be asked in their own thread where you can get many answers and opinions. “Good” questions just mean that these are the types of questions that are amenable to a quick straightforward answer (probably).

Sample “Bad” Questions:
How do I play D&D? (Great question, but not for this thread.)
What is a good 10 level TWF build? (Far too broad and requires much opinion)
What +2 LA race should I take for my sorcerer build? (Again, an opinion question)
Which is better GURPS or D&D?

Sample “Good” Questions:
Q.1. Are there any Large +0 LA races?
Q.2. As a sorcerer/rogue, do I get to add sneak attack damage to my attack spells?
Q.3. What effect would Dispel Magic have on a golem or similar construct?
Q.4. Is there a feat that allows me to get a familiar?

{The first several versions of this thread seemed to run pretty efficiently, but if you have any comments about how this thread could be improved please PM me.}

Please start over with the numbering. Thanks.

Tvtyrant
2011-01-20, 03:41 AM
Q.1. It says to treat Black Tentacles as a Large Monster with a strength of 19. Can I cast a Bulls Strength spell on the tentacles?

RipperOfShirts
2011-01-20, 03:46 AM
Q2 Are there any feats, items, class features, or similar (such as a special ability a Wild Shaped Druid would gain access to in certain forms) that allow you to retain your dexterity modifier when grappling, and/or giving you the ability to threaten squares while grappling?

Pentachoron
2011-01-20, 03:59 AM
Q.1. It says to treat Black Tentacles as a Large Monster with a strength of 19. Can I cast a Bulls Strength spell on the tentacles?

A.1 The wording of the spell for Bulls Strength says the target is any creature touched. So yes you can, though each tentacle would require its own casting.

Kaww
2011-01-20, 05:01 AM
A1 Dispute

The tentacles attacking a single creature are treated as Large, not all tentacles conjured by the spell. Thus you may not target them (they are treated as more than one creature, and a same tentacles may be a part of more than one creature).

Personal note: I never actually read the description carefully. Now that I have I can't believe they didn't write 'for purpose of grapple checks the tentacle...'

Kaww
2011-01-20, 05:03 AM
A2 partial

You may take a -20 on your grapple check and you are not considered grappling. Other sources of imp. grab are wild shape, Feral template and GUTSNAKE SC.

EDIT: Thanks KillianHawkeye, I missed that part.

KillianHawkeye
2011-01-20, 08:44 AM
You may take a -20 on your grapple check and you are not considered grappling.

A2

If you have the Improved Grab (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#improvedGrab) special ability, you may take a -20 on your grapple check and you are not considered grappling. This means that you do not lose your Dexterity bonus to AC, still threaten an area, and can use your remaining attacks against other opponents. (Note that Improved Grab normally only works on creatures at least one size category smaller than you.)

Off the top of my head, the only way I know of to gain Improved Grab is with a dip in Barbarian using the Bear Spiritual Totem alternate class feature from Complete Champion, but other methods probably exist.

Greenish
2011-01-20, 10:11 AM
A2 Additional: Scorpion's Grasp feat from Sandstorm has the same clause as Improved Grab, and thus allows taking -20 penalty to not count as grappling.

Si-on
2011-01-20, 11:27 AM
Q3 Can anyone point me in the direction of a magic item that allows the wearer to see in magical darkness?

Kaww
2011-01-20, 12:24 PM
A3 Partial

Blindfold of true darkness gives you Blindsight out to 30 ft.

Claudius Maximus
2011-01-20, 12:59 PM
Reposted from the last thread because it got locked:

Q 4

Other than Earth Power and the XPH version of the Torc of Power Preservation, what means exist to passively reduce the cost of all powers?

Corronchilejano
2011-01-20, 01:56 PM

A.1. Dispute
Black tentacles conjure tentacles, but nothing says they're living (they're actually mindless), so they're more like an object. Bull Strength does not affect objects.

Stegyre
2011-01-20, 02:05 PM
A 4
Please see here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=127103). Both ML-raising and PP-reducing options are summarized in the opening post.

Claudius Maximus
2011-01-20, 02:12 PM
A 4
Please see here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=127103). Both ML-raising and PP-reducing options are summarized in the opening post.

Are there any beyond those?

Stegyre
2011-01-20, 02:27 PM
Are there any beyond those?

The point of that thread was to flush them out. If you (or anyone else) learns of additional ones, I am happy to update the opening post. :smallsmile:

(PM me with such information, as it would be a distraction to the RAW thread and the mods do not take kindly to thread necromancy.)

Kaww
2011-01-20, 03:29 PM
A.1. Dispute
Black tentacles conjure tentacles, but nothing says they're living (they're actually mindless), so they're more like an object. Bull Strength does not affect objects.

You can cast bull's strength on zombies, which are mindless and not living, but still creatures and not objects. :smallconfused:

What you are trying to say is not RAW.

Corronchilejano
2011-01-20, 05:31 PM
You can cast bull's strength on zombies, which are mindless and not living, but still creatures and not objects. :smallconfused:

What you are trying to say is not RAW.

RAW:

This spell conjures a field of rubbery black tentacles, each 10 feet long. These waving members seem to spring forth from the earth, floor, or whatever surface is underfoot—including water. They grasp and entwine around creatures that enter the area, holding them fast and crushing them with great strength.

Rubbery tentacles. It doesn't say ANYWHERE that these are creatures. For all we know, their just rubber animated objects.

Also, the reason you can apply the spell to an undead is because its harmless (otherwise it couldn't affect them due to their type). These tentacles are typeless and thus

After re-reading, even if they where constructs (animated objects) the spell WOULD apply since the spell is harmless.

Thurbane
2011-01-20, 08:14 PM
Rubbery tentacles. It doesn't say ANYWHERE that these are creatures. For all we know, their just rubber animated objects.
While I totally agree with you from a RAI standpoint (I'd never let someone cast buff spells on the Tentacles in my game), there is this piece of text in the description:
Treat the tentacles attacking a particular target as a Large creature with a base attack bonus equal to your caster level and a Strength score of 19. It can easily be argued that RAW, the spell does say the effect is treated as a creature.

Lateral
2011-01-20, 10:25 PM
Q 5 How come Ardents who take Practiced Manifester and multiclass get power point and powers known increases but Psions don't?

RipperOfShirts
2011-01-21, 12:55 AM
A5 It doesn't quite work like that

Ardents can learn any power they can pay for, and technically, they can pay for powers with a power point cost equal or less than their manifester levels, meaning that the extra Manifester levels allows an Ardent5/X4 with Practiced Manifester to learn powers costing 9PP (as if he was an Ardent9), instead of the standard 5PP of an Ardent5. They don't get any extra powers, but it means that they can learn higher level powers. By comparison, a Psion5/X4 is only able to have 3rd level powers as a Psion5, not 5th level powers, as a Psion9 would.

Also, a Psion (or any Manifester really) would gain extra PP, but not from Manifester class progression, but rather that bonus PP per day from a High ability score is based on Manifester level as well.

Wolfgang Hype
2011-01-21, 01:03 AM
Q6 Does weapon finesse apply to all light weapons (and rapiers) or does it have to be purchased specifically for each weapon you want to use it with? Reading the copy of the PHB I have it seems like the former, but I've seen some places that say (or imply) it's the latter.

Tvtyrant
2011-01-21, 01:06 AM
A6Weapon Finesse (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/feats.htm#weaponFinesse) applies to all light and natural weapons, as well as spiked chains and rapiers.

Tvtyrant
2011-01-21, 02:19 AM
Q7Is there a way to artificially increase HD?

Claudius Maximus
2011-01-21, 02:22 AM
A7

Inspire Greatness (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/classes/bard.htm#inspireGreatness) increases HD by 2 for its duration.

It is also possible to Shapechange into a creature like a Barghest or a Dusk Giant that has an ability that can increase its hit dice.

Zaq
2011-01-21, 02:39 AM
This thread will serve as a catch-all for simple, discreet questions that can be answered quickly according to the RAW (Rules As Written).

Bit o' word rage: Unless the questions are modest and not drawing attention (http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/discreet), I think that we have some homophone-based issues (http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/discrete) on our hands. Or maybe just the one.

Corronchilejano
2011-01-21, 07:18 AM
Q7Is there a way to artificially increase HD?

A.7.
Lycanthropy also increases hit dice, although it depends on DM ruling its long-term consequences on your ECL.

KillianHawkeye
2011-01-21, 08:33 AM
A 6 note:

The 3.0 version of Weapon Finesse only applied to a single weapon chosen. The 3.5 version works with any compatible weapon. This is probably where the confusion is coming from.

dextercorvia
2011-01-21, 01:24 PM
Q 8
Are incarnum feats affected by an AMF?

sreservoir
2011-01-21, 02:28 PM
Q 9

Are there any listings of magic item slots for non-humanoids?

dextercorvia
2011-01-21, 02:29 PM
A 9

MIC has body slots for non humanoid anatomy.

sreservoir
2011-01-21, 02:46 PM
A 9

MIC has body slots for non humanoid anatomy.

can you give a page citation?

Keld Denar
2011-01-21, 02:46 PM
A 8 If the feat description mentions that it is SU in nature, then it would be surpressed by an AMF. If its EX in nature, it wouldn't. I'm pretty sure that just about everything in MoI is SU in nature though. Page 52 of MoI indicates that you can't reallocate Essentia while you are in a dead magic area, but that doesn't matter much as you can't reallocate essentia out of feats once you put it there. So...things like Cobalt Rage or Indigo Strike should still work in an AMF.

A 9 Expanded Lords of Madness has info for Beholder body slots, and the Draconomnomnomnomnomnomicon has info on Dragon body slots.

dextercorvia
2011-01-21, 02:49 PM
can you give a page citation?

pp 218 - 219

Person_Man
2011-01-21, 03:22 PM
Q 8
Are incarnum feats affected by an AMF?

A 8 Expanded: Soulmeld-Magic transparency (pg 52 of Magic of Incarnum) states that soulmelds are treated like spells, and specifically cites states that you lose the benefit of soulmelds and cannot reallocate essentia when in a dead magic area.

Under the essentia description (pg 50) it states that "other receptacles" for essentia are treated as soulmelds for the purpose of investing essentia into them, with the only exception being that Feats can only have essentia allocated into them once per day.

It seems clear that the intent of soulmelds and essentia are that they are treated like magic, and thus wouldn't function in an AMF. It's also noteworthy that all prestige class abilities that you can invest essentia in are Supernatural. But Keld is correct that the RAW is silent, and that by default Feats are extraordinary unless they state otherwise. So yes it works, but only because of a gross oversight by the writers.

hydraa
2011-01-21, 03:36 PM
Q 10
Does a creature that is staggered and slowed lose both actions they have in a round?

(both status mention that they creature can do either a standard or a move but not both nor a full round)

(example I am thinking or, creature is already slowed (or the weapon as slow burst and filas will save) and hit by a oppoenent with the staggering strike feat

Q10a
If both apply and the creature is not allowed a move and standard then would the creature still get its swift(immediate) and free actions?

Kaww
2011-01-21, 03:47 PM
A10

No.

Both allow the creature to chose if it can perform a standard or a move action. Unless you confuse it enough to chose move action on it's first choice and std action on the second one, it gets the chosen action.

Example of this overlap is a slowed zombie.

hydraa
2011-01-21, 04:43 PM
Q 11

When using UMD to activate a staff {or a runestaff}, does it potentially become much more powerful than in the hands of a normal arcanist.
Using UMD to emualte the ability score and/or caster level even if you naturally make one or the other

Example: Level 10 charater with UMD skill modifier 50 (+5 cha, +13 ranks, +2 masterwork tool, +30 skill item) rolls a 1 when using a level 1 spell (Charm person) and thus makes a UMD check of 51. This provides a CL of 31 [up to 51) and an ability score of 36 (+13) [up to 55 (+22)]

This will then beat a min SR 32 (1d20 {1} +31) and have a save DC of 24 (10 +1{lv} +13{umd ability score}

Then if the spell suceeds the creature is charmed for 35 hours

This is opposed to a level 20 Wiz casting the same charm person with a 34 (+12) int (18 abil,+6 enh,+5 inher, +5 ability gain)
It beats a min SR can beat is 21 (20+1) and save DC is 23 (10+1+12)
[granted there are some feats and such that would increase CL a bit]

Curmudgeon
2011-01-21, 04:58 PM
A 11 No.

Once you get into the rules for Use Magic Device activation of staffs you've replaced class-based device activation with skill-based activation. As such, the class-based activation rules only apply if the Use Magic Device skill says so. A user's ability score is only referenced when specified in the skill description, and UMD does that solely for scroll activation.

From Dungeon Master's Guide, page 214:
For a saving throw against a spell or spell-like effect from a magic item, the DC is 10 + the level of the spell or effect + the ability modifier of the minimum ability score needed to cast that level of spell. Only the class-based activation for staffs overrides this, because Use Magic Device activation does not.

Also note: Use Magic Device does not provide for activating runestaffs, which are dependent on having a prepared arcane spell or arcane spell slot ─ qualities which UMD cannot supply.

Lateral
2011-01-21, 05:01 PM
Q 12 What's the name of the spell that has a secondary effect of making anything with True Seeing active go insane unless they make a Will save?

dragonsamurai77
2011-01-21, 05:13 PM
Q13a

Can you have multiple (Ever)dancing weapons active at one time?

Q13b

If you change size while you have an (Ever)dancing loosed, does it change size with you?

Curmudgeon
2011-01-21, 05:21 PM
A 13a

I don't know what everdancing is, but dancing applies to a particular weapon, and thus does not conflict with the same enhancement in another weapon. A dancing weapon can be loosed (activated) as a standard action, and then it fights on its own for 4 rounds. You could loose other dancing weapons in those 4 rounds.

A 13b No.

There's no size-alteration language specified in the dancing weapon ability.

dragonsamurai77
2011-01-21, 05:24 PM
A 13a

I don't know what everdancing is, but dancing applies to a particular weapon, and thus does not conflict with the same enhancement in another weapon. A dancing weapon can be loosed (activated) as a standard action, and then it fights on its own for 4 rounds. You could loose other dancing weapons in those 4 rounds.

A 13b No.

There's no size-alteration language specified in the dancing weapon ability.

Good, that will be useful for my strategy. BTW, everdancing is an epic, permanent variant of dancing.

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/magicItems/weapons.htm#everdancing

Thurbane
2011-01-21, 06:10 PM
A 11 continued

You can, however, UMD a runestaff if you have spell slots to burn (Beguiler, Bard etc.), even if they aren't spells that correspond to those in the staff.

For further reading, here are a few past threads on the topic:

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=112581

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=159045

sreservoir
2011-01-21, 10:58 PM
Q 14

Is there any spell which reduces a creature by one size category, which affects non-humanoids?

Kaww
2011-01-22, 03:53 AM
A14 Partial

Reduce Animal PHB

Probably will add more later.

Didn't find any in: CA, CM, SC, in PHB there is diminish plants, but I doubt that you want to ruin farmers.

yldenfrei
2011-01-22, 05:48 AM
Q 15
Healing Hymn.
Does it affect spell-like abilities as well?
I'm thinking of racial SLAs emulating cure x wounds and Pool of Healing (Divine Cleric) in particular.

Runestar
2011-01-22, 07:51 AM
Q16) How does the bonus HD for a paladin's mount interact with mounts which get full bab for their HD?

For example, a unicorn mount starts with 4HD (bab+4). When it gets 2 bonus HD, does its bab improve to +6, or stay at +4 (as a 6th lv cleric)?

Kaww
2011-01-22, 08:30 AM
A16

Adding HD increases BAB accordingly. A magical beast gets full BAB that is BAB=HD.

Kaww
2011-01-22, 08:36 AM
Q 15
Healing Hymn.
Does it affect spell-like abilities as well?
I'm thinking of racial SLAs emulating cure x wounds and Pool of Healing (Divine Cleric) in particular.

It works on a SLA, it doesn't work on Pool of healing, since it is not a spell, nor is it a SLA emulating a conjuration, healing spell.

yldenfrei
2011-01-22, 09:23 AM
It works on a SLA, it doesn't work on Pool of healing, since it is not a spell, nor is it a SLA emulating a conjuration, healing spell.
Q 15 Follow up
Healing Hymn.
By "+1 sacred or profane bonus for each rank you have in Perform skill", does that include CHA modifier, circumstance or other bonuses? Or just the base rank you purchased?

KillianHawkeye
2011-01-22, 09:31 AM
A 15 "Ranks" only includes actual ranks. When the other stuff is included, it is referred to as the total skill modifier.

In the same vein, when a prestige class requires 8 ranks in Move Silently (for example), that also does not include you Dex modifier or any other bonuses you may get to your Move Silently checks.

sreservoir
2011-01-22, 11:46 AM
Q 16

Is there any way to get access to the powers of a mantle without actually having a mantle already?

hereyago
2011-01-22, 02:39 PM
Q 17

If I have more than one movement mode (Say a base land speed and a burrow speed) does a move action consist of using only one of them? That is to say, if I had a BLS of 30ft and a Burrow of 20ft could I, in one move action, walk 30ft and then burrow another 20, for a total of 50ft of movement?

Along the same vein, could I move only part of my BLS and then begin to burrow, and if so would I need to stop before my burrow speed runs out?

sreservoir
2011-01-22, 02:48 PM
Q 18

Does the power in a Power Repository shard have to be on your class list for you to use it?

Private-Prinny
2011-01-22, 04:02 PM
Q19

The Factotum's Cunning Insight ability lets them add their Int modifier to an attack roll, damage roll, or saving throw. I have a few questions on how far that applies.

Can I use it with Ray of Stupidity, to add my Int mod to the stat damage?
Can it be used with Ray of Enfeeblement? That one is a penalty, not ability damage.
Am I right in assuming that Enervation is a no go, since they "gain 1d4 negative levels"?

Thurbane
2011-01-22, 04:34 PM
A 019

Yes - Ray of stupidity is ability damage.
No - Ray of Enfeeblement is an ability penalty, not damage.
No - Enervation is level drain, not a damage roll.

Dralnu
2011-01-22, 04:44 PM
Question 20

Can Eldritch Glaive be paired with Eldritch Chain for the warlock?
How about Maximize Spell Like Ability in conjunction with either or both of these?

I am attempting to build a warlock for the first time :)

Thank you

dextercorvia
2011-01-23, 12:10 AM
Q 21
If a character without any source of Precision Damage takes a level of Unseen Seer, and then later gets a source of Precision Damage, does the Damage Bonus from Unseen Seer kick in retroactively?

Douglas
2011-01-23, 12:46 AM
A 019

Yes - Ray of stupidity is ability damage.
No - Ray of Enfeeblement is an ability penalty, not damage.
No - Enervation is level drain, not a damage roll.

I'm not sure about the exact RAW status of this, but following the precedent of RAW for sneak attack with such spells Ray of Stupidity and Enervation should both benefit but the extra would be negative energy damage to hit points rather than additional ability damage or level drain.

Starsign
2011-01-23, 01:12 AM
Q 22

I am trying to figure out the reach for my character's (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=261960) Glaive. With my character being Large and the weapon being Huge, what is the reach of the weapon?

Just want to be sure so the DM doesn't have to say that "everything dies" every time I swing the glaive. :smallsmile:

Runestar
2011-01-23, 01:34 AM
Q 22

I am trying to figure out the reach for my character's (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=261960) Glaive. With my character being Large and the weapon being Huge, what is the reach of the weapon?

Just want to be sure so the DM doesn't have to say that "everything dies" every time I swing the glaive. :smallsmile:

The weapon's size has no bearing on your reach. So you would have 20-ft reach (being large doubles your 10-ft reach).

Gnoman
2011-01-23, 03:58 AM
A22 addendum: By RAW, a Large character can not use a two-handed weapon sized for a Huge creature.

From the SRD:

Inappropriately Sized Weapons

A creature can’t make optimum use of a weapon that isn’t properly sized for it. A cumulative -2 penalty applies on attack rolls for each size category of difference between the size of its intended wielder and the size of its actual wielder. If the creature isn’t proficient with the weapon a -4 nonproficiency penalty also applies.

The measure of how much effort it takes to use a weapon (whether the weapon is designated as a light, one-handed, or two-handed weapon for a particular wielder) is altered by one step for each size category of difference between the wielder’s size and the size of the creature for which the weapon was designed. If a weapon’s designation would be changed to something other than light, one-handed, or two-handed by this alteration, the creature can’t wield the weapon at all.

Runestar
2011-01-23, 05:03 AM
A22 addendum: By RAW, a Large character can not use a two-handed weapon sized for a Huge creature.

From the SRD:

The character in question has monkey grip, so no issues there.:smallsmile:

Kuma Kode
2011-01-23, 05:09 AM
Question 20

Can Eldritch Glaive be paired with Eldritch Chain for the warlock?
How about Maximize Spell Like Ability in conjunction with either or both of these?

I am attempting to build a warlock for the first time :)

Thank you

Negatory. Both Eldritch Glaive and Eldritch Chain are blast shape invocations, and only one shape can be applied at any time. Likewise, only one essence can be applied at any time, though one essence and one shape can be applied simultaneously.

The names can be useful in figuring it out. Essences change the word "Eldritch" in the eldritch blast (frightening blast, sickening blast, brimstone blast) while shapes change the word "Blast" (eldritch glaive, eldritch chain, eldritch doom). If two invocations would change the same word, they don't stack. Brimstone sickening, glaive spear, utterdark frightening... the names make no sense, so they don't work.

Curmudgeon
2011-01-23, 06:48 AM
Re: A 019

I'm not sure about the exact RAW status of this, but following the precedent of RAW for sneak attack with such spells Ray of Stupidity and Enervation should both benefit but the extra would be negative energy damage to hit points rather than additional ability damage or level drain.
Unfortunately, that's a house rule, not RAW. It's one of the small number (10) I use, including "Monks are proficient with unarmed strikes" and "Ranged full attacks provoke AoOs on each shot". (The Factotum is quite impressive ─ for the sloppiness of its class writeup. :smalltongue:)

Curmudgeon
2011-01-23, 06:59 AM
A 21 No.

The "choose each time you gain this benefit" requirement prevents retroactively applying the Unseen Seer Damage Bonus class feature. Otherwise you could later gain both sneak attack and skirmish damage, for instance, and apply Damage Bonus to both because you'd skipped the required selection at levels 1/4/7/10. You can only make class feature selections at the time they are presented; that's step 9 of the rules for Level Advancement (Player's Handbook, pages 58-59).

dextercorvia
2011-01-23, 08:44 AM
A 21, Followup

Is it only the selection that is preventing this. If it was another class feature that stacked with a specific base class ability, but only if you had the ability already, would it retroactively stack?

Curmudgeon
2011-01-23, 08:48 AM
A 21 Followup

The answer would depend on the language used in each particular ability. The Savvy Rogue feat includes this:
Based on the rogue special abilities you have, you gain one or more additional special benefits as described below. You gain the benefits for all the special abilities you have, even those you gain after selecting this feat.

dragonsamurai77
2011-01-23, 11:31 AM
Q23

From the SRD Orc entry, emphasis mine:

Combat
Orcs are proficient with all simple weapons, preferring those that cause the most damage in the least time. Many orcs who take up the warrior or fighter class also gain proficiency with the falchion or the greataxe as a martial weapon. They enjoy attacking from concealment and setting ambushes, and they obey the rules of war (such as honoring a truce) only as long as it is convenient for them.

Light Sensitivity (Ex)
Orcs are dazzled in bright sunlight or within the radius of a daylight spell.

Orcs As Characters
Orc Traits (Ex)
Orcs possess the following racial traits.

•+4 Strength, -2 Intelligence, -2 Wisdom, -2 Charisma.
•An orc’s base land speed is 30 feet.
•Darkvision out to 60 feet.
•Light Sensitivity: Orcs are dazzled in bright sunlight or within the radius of a daylight spell.
•Automatic Languages: Common, Orc. Bonus Languages: Dwarven, Giant, Gnoll, Goblin, Undercommon.
•Favored Class: Barbarian.

Are orcs, as characters, proficient with all simple weapons?

Curmudgeon
2011-01-23, 11:39 AM
A 23 Generally no.

As a humanoid race, if an Orc takes any levels in a character class, they lose that proficiency. From the Monster Manual:
Proficient with all simple weapons, or by character class.
Humanoids and Class Levels: Creatures with 1 or less HD replace their monster levels with their character levels. The racial proficiency disappears when the monster levels are replaced by character class levels.

Zherog
2011-01-23, 01:08 PM
Q 17

If I have more than one movement mode (Say a base land speed and a burrow speed) does a move action consist of using only one of them? That is to say, if I had a BLS of 30ft and a Burrow of 20ft could I, in one move action, walk 30ft and then burrow another 20, for a total of 50ft of movement?

Along the same vein, could I move only part of my BLS and then begin to burrow, and if so would I need to stop before my burrow speed runs out?

A 17

Movement is the total distance you can move with a single move action. Your example would require a double move -- one for the ground based movement and another for the burrow movement.

My gut tells me you should be able to combine both base land and another movement type (such as burrow) into one move action, but that would seem to open up a whole can of worms when the distances are different, such as your example.

GeminiVeil
2011-01-23, 07:27 PM
Q24
(based on argument in another thread)
Can a character (let's assume a human for this question) be affected by both the Prone and Helpless conditions?
Do the bonus/penalties from said 2 conditions stack in every way?

Zherog
2011-01-23, 07:54 PM
A 24

Of course a character can be affected by both conditions. None of the bonuses/penalties seem to have a specific name, so yes - they'd all stack.

An attacker who is prone has a -4 penalty on melee attack rolls and cannot use a ranged weapon (except for a crossbow).

Since helpless effectively means they can't take any actions at all, so a penalty on melee attacks becomes moot.

Endarire
2011-01-23, 09:54 PM
Q25
Energy missile (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/energymissile.htm) targets up to 5 creatures in a 15' radius. There's no accuracy roll.

Cloak of Shadow, when active, forces a miss chance (15% +5%/Shadowcraft Mage level) to the Shadowcraft Mage.

If I use energy missile against a Shadowcraft Mage, do I have a miss chance because of Cloak of Shadow?

PlzBreakMyCmpAn
2011-01-23, 10:06 PM
Q26: Where may I find / what is the rule citation stating that weapons and armor may be enhanced, rather than selling and buying for a specific item that has those enhancements?

Private-Prinny
2011-01-23, 10:07 PM
A25: No

miss chance: The possibility that a successful attack roll misses anyway because of the attacker’s uncertainty about the target’s location. See concealment.

The bolded part is fairly clear. No attack roll, no miss chance.

dextercorvia
2011-01-23, 10:54 PM
A 26

This (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/creatingMagicItems.htm#addingNewAbilities) may be what you are looking for.

I seem to remember something in the MIC, if I find it I'll edit it in.

Edit: MIC 233-234 begins with the same quote as above, but has more info. It leads into the section on adding common effects.

Curmudgeon
2011-01-24, 12:28 AM
A 25 addendum

While Cloak of Shadow maxes out at 40% and is thus short of the 50% needed for total concealment directly, this ability provides concealment to allow the Shadowcraft Mage to make Hide checks. Any creature who is successfully hidden also cannot be targeted, and thus a power like Energy Missile that requires target(s) would fail. (You can think of it as a 100% miss chance if you like.)

So, while Private-Prinny is completely correct about the direct effect of Cloak of Shadow, the Shadowcraft Mage may indirectly foil the power in part due to this ability. (The other Hide requirement ─ not being observed ─ must be satisfied in some other way.)

cd4
2011-01-24, 11:37 AM
Q27

A Dispelling Screen (Spc) is destroyed by a disintegrate spell and the spell is destroyed at the same time. If I cast a twinned disintegrate at the screen does the second disintegrate get through?

dextercorvia
2011-01-24, 12:12 PM
A 27

No. The Dispelling Screen doesn't "destroy" the Disintegrate. The Disintegrate serves its purpose. In order to destroy the Dispelling Screen, the Disintegrate has to target it. A both copies of a Twinned Disintegrate must have the same target.

zagan
2011-01-24, 02:50 PM
Q 28

Do construct immunity to effect that require fortitude save include effect that offer a fortitude save for half damage ?

For example a construct is target by a spell that deal damage to all creature in an area and they can make a fort save for half damage. Do the construct take no damage ?

Zherog
2011-01-24, 02:55 PM
A 28

Immunity to any effect that requires a Fortitude save (unless the effect also works on objects, or is harmless).

It doesn't matter if it's Fort (partial) or any other text. If the save has a Fortitude save and it either specifically affects objects (see disintegrate) or is harmless (see bull's strength) then it affects the construct (pending the checking of other immunities). If, on the other hand, the spell doesn't fit those criteria, then the construct is immune.

To your specific example...

For example a construct is target by a spell that deal damage to all creature in an area and they can make a fort save for half damage. Do the construct take no damage ?

If the spell does not affect objects and does not have the harmless tag, then you're correct- the construct in that scenario would take no damage, because it has immunity to the effect.

zagan
2011-01-24, 02:57 PM
Okay, Thanks

cd4
2011-01-25, 12:10 PM
Q29

Can I put axeblock, hammer block and spear block on the same piece of armour gaining DR 5/-?

Douglas
2011-01-25, 01:19 PM
A29

If I remember those abilities correctly, yes you can but it would not technically be DR 5/-. It would be very similar, but things that are bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing all at once, such as bite attacks (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#bite), would still bypass it.

cd4
2011-01-25, 04:09 PM
Q30

If I have a +4 magebane weapon then my enhancement bonus against spellcasters is +6. Does this mean my weapon becomes epic against spellcasters?

dextercorvia
2011-01-25, 04:34 PM
A 30

No. That is an effective enhancement bonus. It does not meet the requirements for an epic weapon.

Zherog
2011-01-25, 04:39 PM
A 30 dispute

Damage Reduction (Ex or Su):

A few very powerful monsters are vulnerable only to epic weapons; that is, magic weapons with at least a +6 enhancement bonus. Such creatures’ natural weapons are also treated as epic weapons for the purpose of overcoming damage reduction.

A +4 bane weapon has a +6 enhancement bonus when striking the appropriate creature for the bane property, and therefore overcomes the epic damage reduction.

edit: And while it's not evidence of RAW, there is (as I recall) a sage advice ruling that backs this up.

dextercorvia
2011-01-25, 04:50 PM
A 30, cont'd

Magic weapons with a total effective bonus of +6 to +10 but that have an enhancement bonus of +5 or less and special abilities whose individual market price modifiers are +5 or less use the table for nonepic magic weapons to determine price.

I read this as saying that weapons that do not meet these criteria are nonepic.

Bane

A bane weapon excels at attacking one type or subtype of creature. Against its designated foe, its effective enhancement bonus is +2 better than its normal enhancement bonus. ...; Price +1 bonus.

Note that a +4 Bane weapon is priced as a +5 nonepic weapon. It also has an effective enhancement bonus of +6 against the chosen type, but that is not the same as having a +6 enhancement bonus.

Edit: Not RAW, but since you mentioned it...

For creatures that have damage reduction bypassed by
epic weapons, does the weapon have to be a +6 or greater
weapon, or can it just have enhancements that push it into
the epic category (like a +5 keen shocking burst vorpal
longsword)?
To be considered an “epic” magic weapon, the weapon’s
actual enhancement bonus must be +6 or greater. Special
properties such as keen are treated as equivalent to
enhancement bonuses only for the purpose of pricing and for
the maximum power of a weapon (for non-epic gaming). A +5
keen shocking burst vorpal longsword is still only a +5 weapon
for the purpose of bypassing damage reduction, and thus
wouldn’t overcome DR 10/epic.

Notice the actual.

Zherog
2011-01-25, 05:11 PM
A 30 continued

At this point, I think we're going to have a big enough discussion to warrant a whole thread. But...

The quote about epic weapon pricing is immaterial. Whether or not a weapon bypasses epic DR has nothing to do with the price of the weapon. The requirement for bypassing epic DR is a +6 or better enhancement bonus. A +4 bane weapon against the target of the bane property has a +6 enhancement bonus at the time the attack resolves, and so therefore bypasses the DR.

The FAQ ruling you quoted isn't the one I was thinking of. I was certain there was a ruling exactly on this topic - whether a +4 bane weapon overcomes epic DR. I can't find it in the FAQ, nor can I find it in the "Ask the Kobold" column that Skip writes over on the Kobold Quarterly site; it's possible the answer appeared in an Ask the Kobold column from the magazine rather than on the site, but I'm too lazy right this moment to go digging through my PDFs to check. And it's moot, anyway, since (as I already pointed out) it's not RAW -- and gets even further away from RAW when it appears in a 3rd party publication such as KQ (as good as it is).

dextercorvia
2011-01-25, 05:18 PM
A 30 continued

At this point, I think we're going to have a big enough discussion to warrant a whole thread.

Agreed. My googling has revealed that we aren't the first to disagree over this point, so it is probably going to come down to an, "Ask your DM." due to that pesky effective.

Gnoman
2011-01-25, 09:06 PM
Q31

A group of goblins are firing a ballista through an arrow slit at the PCs. The party wizards return fire with Fireball. The fireballs burst on the arrow slit instead of passing through. Does any of the fire go through to the gobbos?

Zherog
2011-01-25, 09:12 PM
A 31

Yes. Fireball is a spread effect.

Burst, Emanation, or Spread

Most spells that affect an area function as a burst, an emanation, or a spread. In each case, you select the spell’s point of origin and measure its effect from that point.

A burst spell affects whatever it catches in its area, even including creatures that you can’t see. It can’t affect creatures with total cover from its point of origin (in other words, its effects don’t extend around corners). The default shape for a burst effect is a sphere, but some burst spells are specifically described as cone-shaped. A burst’s area defines how far from the point of origin the spell’s effect extends.

An emanation spell functions like a burst spell, except that the effect continues to radiate from the point of origin for the duration of the spell. Most emanations are cones or spheres.

A spread spell spreads out like a burst but can turn corners. You select the point of origin, and the spell spreads out a given distance in all directions. Figure the area the spell effect fills by taking into account any turns the spell effect takes.

dextercorvia
2011-01-25, 09:12 PM
A 31

Yes. A Fireball has an area that is a 20' spread from the point of intersection.

Spread

Some effects, notably clouds and fogs, spread out from a point of origin, which must be a grid intersection. The effect can extend around corners and into areas that you can’t see. Figure distance by actual distance traveled, taking into account turns the spell effect takes. When determining distance for spread effects, count around walls, not through them. As with movement, do not trace diagonals across corners. You must designate the point of origin for such an effect, but you need not have line of effect (see below) to all portions of the effect.

yldenfrei
2011-01-25, 09:25 PM
Q 32
Third Eye Dampening (MIC forgot which page)
Can you use it to minimize self inflicted damage? Say ability drains from Sanctified spells, or Fireball cast on self.

Q 32 follow up
If it is allowed, which swift action will be consumed by the Dampening's immediate action? Is it the swift action that you have on your current round (the one where you cast the self-inflicted damage spell), or the swift action of your next round?

Gnoman
2011-01-25, 09:47 PM
Q31 Followup

To be clear, if the goblins are directly behind the arrow slit, then there is no difference between a successful attack roll (passes through the slit) and a failed one (bursts on the slit itself)?

abadguy
2011-01-25, 10:53 PM
A 31 Followup

It depends on what range and height you specified when you cast the spell.

In your case it would only matter if you wanted to strike an area beyond the slit e.g if you wanted to hit an intersection 20ft behind the slit, then yes the roll would matter. (If I were GM I would also ask for a spot check)

If your target was simply the goblins right where the ballista was, you could simply have aimed for the slit itself, and the roll wouldn't matter.

Runestar
2011-01-26, 12:39 AM
Q33) Many maneuvers in Tome of battle require you to make an attack as part of a standard action. How does this work with that giant axe weapon in frostburn which requires a full round to attack? Does this effectively allow me to attack with it as a standard action (and thus get around having to spend a feat), or am I unable to combine the weapon with such maneuvers?

Curmudgeon
2011-01-26, 03:52 AM
A 32 Yes.

Third Eye Dampening (Magic Item Compendium, page 141) has no restrictions on who instigates the power/spell which is dampened.

A 32 follow up

An immediate action, when used not on your turn, uses up the swift action for your next turn. When cast on your turn, it uses up the swift action for that turn. See Complete Arcane on page 86 for more details.

Curmudgeon
2011-01-26, 06:27 AM
A 33

A maneuver which requires a standard action activation is incompatible with an attack that requires a full-round action. In the case that you had some means of getting both a standard action and a full-round action in the same round (such as with a Belt of Battle), whether you could benefit from a maneuver requiring a standard action activation on a full-round attack would be dictated by the language of the individual maneuver.

From Tome of Battle on page 44:
In some cases, you initiate a maneuver, and its effect lasts for the rest of your turn (or beyond). In other cases, maneuvers last only as long as the action required to initiate them (1 swift action, 1 immediate action, 1 move action, 1 standard action, or 1 full-round action).

AugustNights
2011-01-26, 07:01 AM
Q 34a

Does an orange iounstone's (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicitems/wondrousitems.htm#iounStones) bonus to caster level stack with other orange ioun stones?

Q 34b
Does the +1 Caster level apply to item creation?

Q 34c
Does the Artificier's Craft Item ability benefit from this bonus?

Curmudgeon
2011-01-26, 07:32 AM
A 34a No.

Bonuses to caster level checks from the same source (Orange Ioun Stone) do not stack.

A 34b Yes.

The boost to caster level applies generally.

A 34c Yes.

Assuming you actually mean Item Creation rather than Craft Item, that uses a caster level check.

PanNarrans
2011-01-26, 08:10 AM
Q 35

I have 3 levels in Crusader. How many levels do I need before dipping Warblade gets me 2nd level maneuvers?

Greenish
2011-01-26, 08:44 AM
Q 35

I have 3 levels in Crusader. How many levels do I need before dipping Warblade gets me 2nd level maneuvers?A 35

Four levels in crusader grant you 2 IL for warblade, so when you take a level of warblade, your warblade IL will be 3, allowing you to take 2nd level maneuvers.

[Edit]: Multiclassing martial adepts is discussed in page 39 of ToB.

Dzondo
2011-01-26, 10:25 AM
Q36
Do a sleeping character get a will save against silence?

Curmudgeon
2011-01-26, 10:57 AM
A 36 Yes.

For purposes of spells that are restricted to willing targets only, unconscious creatures are automatically considered willing and thus do not receive saving throws. Silence is not such a spell, so the unconscious target saves as usual.

Edit: Fixed goof with name of applicable spell (Sleep instead of Silence).

Zherog
2011-01-26, 12:31 PM
A 36 additional

Except he didn't ask about a target under the effects of a sleep spell. He simply asked about a sleeping target. However, as best as I can tell that's just being persnickety, since it seems that a creature that is asleep is also not unconscious, by the rules.

Dzondo
2011-01-26, 01:35 PM

A 36 additional

Except he didn't ask about a target under the effects of a sleep spell. He simply asked about a sleeping target. However, as best as I can tell that's just being persnickety, since it seems that a creature that is asleep is also not unconscious, by the rules.

Target is a member of my party, and he is willingly sleeping.

Stegyre
2011-01-26, 01:47 PM
Target is a member of my party, and he is willingly sleeping.

A 36 Final?

Rules Compendium: "A creature can voluntarily forego a saving throw and willingly accept a consequence."

As has been said, "sleeping" is not a state that presumes willingness. You cannot tell the player that, because his character "willingly" went to sleep, he acceded to whatever spell(s) you cast on him.

But if, he in fact wants that spell, the character may voluntarily fail the saving throw.

Curmudgeon
2011-01-26, 04:06 PM
Except he didn't ask about a target under the effects of a sleep spell.
That's my goof. I meant the Silence spell. (That ought to teach me the dangers of answering questions when I haven't had enough sleep myself.)

Fearan
2011-01-26, 05:41 PM
Q 37a can you make ranged attacks, as bonus attacks granted by Danicng mongoose maneuver?
Q 37b if yes, can you affect these extra attacks with Master Throwers Palm throw class feature?

Keld Denar
2011-01-26, 05:51 PM
A37 Unlike 95% of everything else in ToB, Xing Mongoose (and Time Stands Still) don't require melee attacks. You can use them with ranged attacks as well, if you desire. And they would function just fine with Palm Throw. I actually have a build based EXACTLY on that, using a Bard chassis to provide extra damage on all attacks.

Niezck
2011-01-26, 06:01 PM
Q38

The Eternal Blade's Eternal Training class features allow +int to attack and damage against a single creature type a number of encounters per day. Is this creature type chosen at the time the class is taken, at the start of the day or at the start of each encounter in which it's used?

Stegyre
2011-01-26, 06:37 PM
A 38
The description is poorly worded, so there is not an explicit RAW. The implication, however, is that the choice is made in the encounter(s) in which the ability is used. Otherwise, the explanation for the alternative ability -- knowledge of one maneuver -- would make little sense: "A crusader/eternal blade who selects this option is immediately granted this maneuver."

Also, the "ability," usable a certain number of times per day, is to choose between one of two "benefits" (the int bonus or a manuever). Again, this wording doesn't make much sense if the choice must be made any sooner than when the "ability" is exercised in an encounter.

ffone
2011-01-26, 11:53 PM
Q39

A shadow has a touch attack that deals Strength damage. A sirine has a touch attack that deals Intelligence damage.

If a creature like this gains sneak attack dice, and makes a touch attack that satisfies sneak attack conditions (flanking or Dex-to-AC-denying foe) does she add sneak attack damage to the touch attack? If so, is it more ability damage, or is it HP damage of some sort?

Douglas
2011-01-27, 12:15 AM
A39

The closest thing I know of in RAW is the rules for how spells with such effects work. Following that precedent, sneak attack does work but the extra damage is negative energy hp damage.

drakir_nosslin
2011-01-27, 01:23 AM
Q40

Does the fast healing from evolved undead stack with itself? i.e if I stack the template, does the healing increase? It's untyped, but from the same source.

Kuma Kode
2011-01-27, 03:00 AM
A40

Fast healing, like other special qualities, does not stack unless it explicitly says so. They overlap. Evolved Undead is an explicit exception: all of its features stack with themselves, but not necessarily with other sources of fast healing.

Niezck
2011-01-27, 03:05 AM
A40 Dispute

Evolved Undead never mentions its features stacking. It simply says:

Unlike most templates, an evolved undead can potentially acquire this template more than once, evolving more with each application.

Further to that, the fast healing ability is described as:

An evolved undead heals 3 points of damage each round so long as it has 1 hit point.

The fact it says it heals 3, rather than its fast healing increases by 3 would mean that each additional stacking of evolved undead would grant a new instance of fast healing 3.

Kaww
2011-01-27, 03:55 AM
Q41

a)Does slight build allow me to use armor for creatures one size category smaller?

b)Does it give me size bonus to attack?

c)Does it give me size bonus to AC?

AugustNights
2011-01-27, 05:58 AM
Q 34a Follow up Can I get a citation, please, or at least a reference to where this rule can be found?

Curmudgeon
2011-01-27, 06:06 AM
A 41 No.

Here's the entirety of what Slight Build provides, from the Races of the Dragon web enhancement (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20060420a):
Slight Build: The physical stature of kobolds lets them function in many ways as if they were one size category smaller. Whenever a kobold is subject to a size modifier or special size modifier for an opposed check (such as Hide), the kobold is treated as one size smaller if doing so is advantageous to the character. A kobold is also considered to be one size smaller when "squeezing" through a restrictive space. A kobold can use weapons designed for a creature one size smaller without penalty. However, the space and reach of a kobold remain those of a creature of their actual size. The benefits of this racial trait stack with the effects of powers, abilities, and spells that change the subject's size category Armor needs to be fitted to the size of the character, and Slight Build does not change the character's size category.

Curmudgeon
2011-01-27, 06:33 AM
A 34a Follow up

From Player's Handbook, page 313, and also here (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/glossary&term=Glossary_dnd_stack&alpha=S):
stack: Combine for a cumulative effect. In most cases, modifiers to a given check or roll stack if they come from different sources and have different descriptors (or no descriptors at all), but do not stack if they have the same descriptors or come from the same source (such as the same spell cast twice in succession). Any boost to CL where there's a check (for instance, the check to overcome spell resistance) is subject to the stacking limit. A dispel check to negate the spell is included in this limit, so any spell with a duration is also subject to the same source stacking restriction. (And no, you can't claim that you get a higher CL benefit up until you encounter SR or a dispel check is made; caster level is determined at the time of casting and cannot change retroactively.)

Instantaneous spells that do not involve a check (no d20 roll) could benefit from multiple Orange Ioun Stones for a cumulative caster level boost.

Stegyre
2011-01-27, 10:26 AM
Instantaneous spells that do not involve a check (no d20 roll) could benefit from multiple Orange Ioun Stones for a cumulative caster level boost.
What? No. There is no exception to the stacking rule for instantaneous spells.

sreservoir
2011-01-27, 01:42 PM
Q 42

What ways exist of adding spells to a spell list?

OMG PONIES
2011-01-27, 01:45 PM
A42:

The answer to this question is too broad and varied to be considered Simple RAW. Perhaps it deserves its own thread with some more clarification.

Keld Denar
2011-01-27, 01:48 PM
A 42

This question is probably bigger than simple Q&A. Lots exist, depending on what you are going for and what list you are starting with. Lots of classes like Sandshaper, Rainbow Warsnake, Wyrmwizard, Recaster, etc, add spells. Some feats like Arcane Disciple or Sword of the Arcane Order do as well. If you are a cleric, the Domain Substitution spell can add thematic spells. Also, even through the FAQ ruled that Extra Spell can't get a spell that isn't on your list, it wouldn't be a far stretch to treat it like Expanded Knowledge, the Psionic equivalent. Then of course, if you are a limited spells known caster, things like Drake Helms or Knowstones would add extra spells known.

I'm probably missing some, which is why it would be worthwhile to ask in an actual thread, since its not a very simple question.

Master_Rahl22
2011-01-27, 02:02 PM
Q 43
Is it ever possible to benefit from more than one of the Chakra Bind effects of a given soulmeld that can be bound to more than one place? This is specifically in reference to Totemist soulmelds which can all be bound to more than one chakra.

Keld Denar
2011-01-27, 02:04 PM
A 43

You mean like binding Girallon Arms to both your Totem and Arms chakras? You need the 11th level Totemist ability to do this. AFAIK, thats the only ability that lets you bind a single meld to multiple chakras. If you take the feat Double Chakra Bind, you could bind two different melds to a single Chakra (so, like Blink Shirt + Girallon Arms both to Totem), if thats what you are asking.

If you AREN'T binding to a chakra, the meld can occupy any of the slots listed. Like, if you just shaped Girallon Arms and Totem Avatar, both of which can belong to arm slots, you could put Girallon Arms in your arms slot and Totem Avatar in your hands slot, or feet slot, or any other slot. This is for shaping melds, not binding chakras though.

sreservoir
2011-01-27, 02:11 PM
Q 44

Does Alacritous Cogitation count as spontaneous casting for prereq purposes?

BIGMamaSloth
2011-01-27, 05:26 PM
Q 45

If I apply Kaorti resin to something that is already x4, does it make it x5?

bokodasu
2011-01-27, 05:42 PM
Q46

Wizard 1/Cleric 3 takes Alternative Source Spell (Dragon Magazine #325); does that give him spells that count as 2nd-level arcane?

Greenish
2011-01-27, 05:46 PM
A45

No. Kaorti Resin has no effect on a x4 crit weapon, other than making it require EWP to use.

Stegyre
2011-01-27, 05:54 PM
A 46
Yes. He is able to prepare at least one of his 2nd level divine spells as an "arcane" spell, using the feat, and therefore meets a requirement for "able to cast 2nd level arcane spells.

This is one method for early entry into Mystic Theurge and similar classes. (There are others that do not depend upon Dragon material.)

Curmudgeon
2011-01-27, 06:11 PM
What? No. There is no exception to the stacking rule for instantaneous spells.
You're correct; there is no exception to the stacking rules for instantaneous spells. The stacking rules simply do extend to that case, because they apply to "modifiers to a given check or roll". In the few cases where there is no check, there is no stacking restriction.

Curmudgeon
2011-01-27, 06:21 PM
A 44

Yes, Alacritous Cogitation is a way to spontaneously cast a spell, and it will satisfy a prerequisite that requires that. Alacritous Cogitation will not satisfy a prerequisite of the form "ability to spontaneously cast spells", because the single spell per day afforded by the feat cannot give you the plural spells required.

Claudius Maximus
2011-01-27, 06:44 PM
You're correct; there is no exception to the stacking rules for instantaneous spells. The stacking rules simply do extend to that case, because they apply to "modifiers to a given check or roll". In the few cases where there is no check, there is no stacking restriction.

But how then is it that speed bonuses from the same source don't stack? Or bonuses to other things that are not rolled, like AC, or even ability scores?

Curmudgeon
2011-01-27, 07:18 PM
But how then is it that speed bonuses from the same source don't stack?
Typed bonuses (and most speed bonuses, like the Monk's, are enhancements) don't stack. However, Barbarians get untyped fast movement, and this would stack with the fast movement from the variant Ranger without spellcasting (Complete Warrior, page 13). It's the same source, and still it stacks.

Or bonuses to other things that are not rolled, like AC, or even ability scores?
AC is always part of an opposed check (attack vs. AC) and thus subject to the basic stacking rule. Most ability score boosts are enhancements, and thus also restricted by the basic rule. Additionally, the RAW include other stacking restrictions outside of the basic rule. Spellcasting has its own stacking limits, for instance.

sreservoir
2011-01-27, 07:58 PM

in that case, why does it not apply to durations?

Curmudgeon
2011-01-27, 09:16 PM
in that case, why does it not apply to durations?
A spell only has one caster level, so a duration based on CL must use that. Any spell which may be subject to a dispel check must abide by the basic stacking rule ("modifiers to a given check or roll") and thus untyped CL bonuses from the same source cannot stack; you get just the best single boost instead. Instantaneous spells are not subject to dispel checks. If an instantaneous spell also does not allow for spell resistance (another caster level check), then boosts to CL for such a spell stay outside the scope of the basic stacking rule and are permitted to add together.

KillianHawkeye
2011-01-27, 09:30 PM
A spell only has one caster level, so a duration based on CL must use that. Any spell which may be subject to a dispel check must abide by the basic stacking rule ("modifiers to a given check or roll") and thus untyped CL bonuses from the same source cannot stack; you get just the best single boost instead. Instantaneous spells are not subject to dispel checks. If an instantaneous spell also does not allow for spell resistance (another caster level check), then boosts to CL for such a spell stay outside the scope of the basic stacking rule and are permitted to add together.

That is ridiculous.

Curmudgeon
2011-01-27, 10:12 PM
That is ridiculous.
I think this means we're past the operating rules of this "Simple Q&A" thread.

I don't put the limits (loopholes) in the rules; I just answer the questions as accurately as I can.

abadguy
2011-01-27, 10:26 PM

Does this mean that, by RAW, a 5th level caster casting a Fireball with 5 orange ioun stones can deal 10d6 damage, barring SR?

dextercorvia
2011-01-27, 11:07 PM
A44, Dispute A prerequisite of the form "ability to spontaneously cast spells" has no time limiter on it. Assuming that it means spells in a given day is just as much reading intention as assuming that it means spells per round. Seriously, if you get too hung up on that plural, you will end up with needing to cast more than one spell simultaneously, which is also a possible reading.

Alacritous Cogitation does allow one to cast multiple spells spontaneously, and within the same 24 hour period, if you can somehow show by RAW that that is required.

Curmudgeon
2011-01-27, 11:45 PM
Does this mean that, by RAW, a 5th level caster casting a Fireball with 5 orange ioun stones can deal 10d6 damage, barring SR?
No, because "barring SR" isn't an option under the rules. The stacking rules always limit bonuses that would apply to a check, and spell resistance is such a check.
To overcome a creature's spell resistance, the caster of the spell or spell-like ability must equal or exceed the creature's spell resistance with a caster level check (1d20 + caster level). ... The creature need not even be aware of the threat for its spell resistance to operate.
A spellcaster rolls to overcome spell resistance ─ not to determine whether an opponent has SR. Having different levels of effect depending on whether a creature with SR were in the area of that effect would

provide information that the Fireball spell (an evocation, not divination spell) does not make available; and
would make creatures with SR aware of the varying nature of the threat, which SR does not allow for.
A DM should always require the player of a character casting Fireball to roll to overcome SR (regardless of whether a creature with SR is in the area of effect), just as they should always require the player to roll for damage (regardless of whether any creature without fire immunity is in the area). These steps are stipulated by the rules, and a DM failing to follow such steps is handing out information to players that is not specified in the spell description.

Curmudgeon
2011-01-28, 12:20 AM
A44, Dispute
A prerequisite of the form "ability to spontaneously cast spells" has no time limiter on it.
The limit on time is before prestige class selection. From Dungeon Master's Guide, page 176:

The rules for level advancement (see page 58 of the Player’s Handbook) apply to this system, meaning the first step of advancement is always choosing a class. If a character does not meet the requirements for a prestige class before that first step, that character cannot take the first level of that prestige class. And here's the information on timing from that citation:
Advancing a Level: When your character’s XP total reaches at least the minimum XP needed for a new character level (see Table 3–2), he or she “goes up a level.” For example, when Tordek obtains 1,000 or more XP, he becomes a 2nd-level character. As soon as he accumulates a total of 3,000 XP or higher (2,000 more than he had when he gained 2nd level), he reaches 3rd level. Going up a level provides the character with several immediate benefits (see below). So:

Advancement is immediate upon attaining the necessary XP.
If you have not already met all the requirements of a prestige class at that time, you cannot enter the class.
If you have the ability to cast plural spells spontaneously before level advancement, you've met the entry requirement. Otherwise you have not.

Allowing the level advancement qualification to be met over multiple days would make entry requirements like "Able to cast at least five spells ..." always equivalent to "Able to cast at least one spell ...", which isn't what the rules state.

RipperOfShirts
2011-01-28, 02:12 AM
Q 47 Telling Blow lets you deal Sneak Attack/Skirmish damage on a critical hit. If an opponent is vulnerable to Critical Hits, but immune to SA/Skirmish, would you still get the extra damage as there is nothing in the feat that says 'it does not apply to enemies immune to sneak attacks'? If no, would that mean the Penetrating Strike ACF would still allow me to deal 1/2 Sneak Attack damage on a critical hit?

Q48 If I have both Sneak Attack and Skirmish (from either multiclassing or Gestalt) would Telling blow allow me to deal the damage from both, or only one of them?

Keld Denar
2011-01-28, 02:35 AM
A 47

No. SA damage is SA damage, no matter how its triggered. If you are immune to SA damage, you are immune to SA damage, whether its applied by flanking, flatfootedness, or a Telling Blow critical.

A 48

Yes. In any instance where you qualify to add both SA and Skimish, you get to add both. If you moved 10' into a flanking position, you'd get to apply both. Telling Blow gives you the ability to apply both when you crit, so you'd apply both.

A44 further dispute (we should make a new thread for this)

Curmudgeon, you know that the "plural" debate is bunk. Basically what you're saying is that say...a Sorcerer8/Fatespinner4 who cast all of his 4th level and higher spells couldn't use any of his Fickle Finger of Fate ability. Fatespinner requires "Spells: Able to cast 4th-level arcane spells, including at least one divination spell of 1st level or higher." Complete Arcane has the clause
Should a character find herself in a position (because of changed alignment, lost levels, or the like) where she no longer meets the requirements of a prestige class, she loses all special abilities (but not Hit Dice, base attack bonus, or base save bonus) gained from levels of the prestige class. Because by your reading, he wouldn't be able to cast any more appropriate level spells that day, so he wouldn't qualify for Fatespinner, and all of his Fatespinner abilities would turn off. Or heck, even if he cast all of his 4th+ level spells BUT ONE, they would shut off, since he would only know a single spell of 4th level or higher.

No, obviously when they say "able to cast X level spells", they mean that the character has the potential to cast them, not has them for immediate disposal. If both options could be valid, but one of them makes the game not work properly, why do you cling to it? Why do you champion it when it only confuses people? I mean, I know you like to stay as close to RAW, but you have to admit that there is another way to interpret it, one which causes MUCH less screwy rule malfunctions, that it might just be the correct interpretation?

Curmudgeon
2011-01-28, 03:45 AM
New thread created to follow up issues from A 44 here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=10252989).

Cruiser1
2011-01-28, 06:56 AM
Q49: If I have a Luck Blade (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/magicWeapons.htm#luckBlade), does the +1 luck bonus to saving throws and 1/day reroll ability work if I'm not wielding the weapon? If so, then does it work if I have it in my bag of holding? If so for that, then does it work if I have it at home in my closet? This is the only magic weapon that mentions giving its "possessor" some ability. Most magic weapons mention giving its "wielder" some ability.

If I possess two Luck Blades, I know the +1 luck bonus won't stack of course, however will they allow me to reroll 2/day?

dextercorvia
2011-01-28, 10:26 AM
A 34, Follow up Curmudgeon's reading is unwieldy, but it gets us to the right place. Note that an instantaneous spell might be the subject of a Dispel Check via counterspell, and thus must always use the stacking rules.

Curmudgeon
2011-01-28, 01:02 PM
A 34, Follow up Curmudgeon's reading is unwieldy, but it gets us to the right place. Note that an instantaneous spell might be the subject of a Dispel Check via counterspell, and thus must always use the stacking rules.
That's a good point, and one I missed; thanks for the insight. That "always" isn't quite correct, though; only spells that can be identified via a Spellcraft check can be counterspelled. However, we've narrowed the loophole further. The stacking rules still won't cover the case of instantaneous spells with no spell resistance, and also no verbal or somatic components. So a Still, Silent Wall of Stone could be made larger with multiple Orange Ioun Stones.

Curmudgeon
2011-01-28, 01:10 PM
A 49

Yes, the properties of the Luck Blade accrue to its possessor. As for what "possession" means, the rules provide that information.
Any enlarged item that leaves your possession (including a projectile or thrown weapon) instantly returns to its normal size. This means that thrown weapons deal their normal damage (projectiles deal damage based on the size of the weapon that fired them). A Luck Blade attended by you provides its benefit. One left at home, or dropped at your feet, does not. Each Luck Blade you possess will provide its reroll benefit.

dextercorvia
2011-01-28, 01:15 PM
That's a good point, and one I missed; thanks for the insight. That "always" isn't quite correct, though; only spells that can be identified via a Spellcraft check can be counterspelled. However, we've narrowed the loophole further. The stacking rules still won't cover the case of instantaneous spells with no spell resistance, and also no verbal or somatic components. So a Still, Silent Wall of Stone could be made larger with multiple Orange Ioun Stones.

That isn't quite correct. You specifically don't have to identify the spell if you are using Dispel Magic.

You can use dispel magic to counterspell another spellcaster, and you don’t need to identify the spell he or she is casting.

Claudius Maximus
2011-01-28, 01:23 PM
Also if we're really going down this line of argument, there are ways to detect spellcasting without even having LoS. Does the existence of these abilities force stacking rules?

Curmudgeon
2011-01-28, 02:26 PM
That isn't quite correct. You specifically don't have to identify the spell if you are using Dispel Magic.
I stand corrected again. (Apparently this cold has knocked me down harder than I thought. :smallyuk:) Thanks.

sreservoir
2011-01-28, 08:40 PM
Q 50

Where does Word of Recall go if cast by a spontaneous caster?

Kuma Kode
2011-01-28, 08:42 PM
A50

Because there are no spontaneous casters that get access to it, the spell has no rules for such things. When you ready your slots is a good time, but ultimately it will be up to the DM to adjucate.

Niezck
2011-01-29, 02:17 AM
Q51

Would a Factotum's Arcane Dilettante's ability be improved by taking prestige classes that grant "+1 level of existing spellcasting class"?

Tenebris
2011-01-29, 03:32 AM
Q52

Does being a hellbred automatically disqualify a character from taking exalted feats (since they get Devil's Favor as a bonus feat)? Should hellbred (body aspect) suffer penalty on charisma skill checks due to his bonus devil-touched feats?

Kaww
2011-01-29, 04:24 AM
Q51

Would a Factotum's Arcane Dilettante's ability be improved by taking prestige classes that grant "+1 level of existing spellcasting class"?

A51

No. It doesn't have a level of spellcasting class.

Kaww
2011-01-29, 04:31 AM
Q52

Does being a hellbred automatically disqualify a character from taking exalted feats (since they get Devil's Favor as a bonus feat)? Should hellbred (body aspect) suffer penalty on charisma skill checks due to his bonus devil-touched feats?

I don't think that this is an adequate question for this thread. By RAW if they aren't 'Always evil' they may be good. If they are good they qualify for exalted feats.

Kobold-Bard
2011-01-29, 09:42 AM
Q53

Can Legacy Champion from Weapons of Legacy advance multiple spellcasting eg. from the Mystic Theurge?

If Yes: what is different about the Legacy Champion that lets it do it, while other spellcasting advancing PrC's cannot?

--Lime--
2011-01-29, 10:14 AM
Q54

Throwing stones without a sling. Can your average stone from the ground be thrown as an improvised weapon? If so, what sort of damage would it do?

I realise that there will be some "Whatever your DM says" aspect to it but I just want to know if there *are* any rules about it, or if not, what the general thing done is.

Kaww
2011-01-29, 11:33 AM
Q53

Can Legacy Champion from Weapons of Legacy advance multiple spellcasting eg. from the Mystic Theurge?

If Yes: what is different about the Legacy Champion that lets it do it, while other spellcasting advancing PrC's cannot?

By RAW if you advance Mystic Theurge until you have reached the abilities of a lvl 10 Mystic Theurge it does. Since there is no lvl 11 Mystic Theurge you may not advance his abilities beyond lvl 10.

Example: wiz3/arch3/mt1/lc6 is equivalent to wiz3/arch3/mt6 when it comes to spellcasting. wiz3/arch3/mt8/lc6 is equivalent to wiz3/arch3/mt13 (this is not valid since mt doesn't get anything for lvls 11, 12 and 13 - before epic, that is).

Now I'm not sure what happens with epic lvls. My guess is that then the lc levels become valid, since the requirements for epic lvls is only for the character to be epic.

The last paragraph is just my interpretation.

kme
2011-01-29, 04:18 PM
Q55

What happens when initiator class or someone with martial study gets hit with negative level/s? They would get the -1 to IL but would they also lose one of their maneuvers? I know that maneuvers bear similarities with spells but they are still not actual spells. I couldn't find any rules on this when looking in ToB (I only skimmed).

Koury
2011-01-29, 08:03 PM
Q56

An ability says "If you are reduced to –1 or fewer hit points, or even killed outright by a death effect, you can use an immediate action to either cast a spell or make a single attack."

a) Do you still gain this action if you are reduced from positive HP straight past -10?

b) What happens if the spell you choose to cast has an abnormally long casting time?

c) Does casting the spell draw an AoO. I think the answer here is no, but I'd like to check for sure.

Greenish
2011-01-29, 08:10 PM
A56

a) Yes, as -10 and all numbers below it are below -1, and the effect allows you to use it even if you were (about to be) killed.

b) If the ability description says that you can cast the spell as an immediate action, with no other stipulations, then that's what you'll do.

c) Casting a spell as a Swift Action does not provoke AoO, and Immediate Actions function as Swift Actions except you can use them when it's not your turn, so the casting doesn't provoke.

Private-Prinny
2011-01-29, 08:30 PM
Q57

How would one go about adding bonuses to a Rod of Surprises (MIC p.58)?

soulsabre345
2011-01-29, 09:12 PM
Q 58

If you combined ranged weapon mastery, the distance ranged weapon enchantment, and far shot on a thrown weapon with a 10' range increment, what is it's new increment?

RWM= +20 to increment
Dst= doubles increment
FS= doubles increment

is it;
A: ((10+20)*2)*2=120' (add flat modifers, then double twice)
B: 10*2*2+20=60' (double twice, then add flat mods)
C: 10*3+20= 50' (See B, but with stacking rules)
D: ((10+20)*3= 90' (See A, but with stacking rules)
E: ((10*2)+20)*2=80' (See A, but weapon enchant added last

Some other combination I haven't thought of? If you can, mention what rule makes it so.

Kuma Kode
2011-01-29, 10:42 PM
A58

D is correct. Double doubles is a triple unless otherwise noted, and multipliers are added after static bonuses (such that a weapon's enhancement bonus is multiplied by a critical).

Rasman
2011-01-30, 06:30 AM
Q59 If a Warblade has Exotic Weapon Proficiency: Elven Curved Blade, can he use his Weapon Aptitude to change what weapon the feat counts for, like going from EWP: Elven Curved Blade to EWP: Dire Flail or is that only for feats like Weapon Focus?

RipperOfShirts
2011-01-30, 06:49 AM
A 59

Weapon Aptitude states any feat that applies to only a single weapon, so EWP would be a candidate as it applies to only 1 exotic weapon at a time.

Kaww
2011-01-30, 06:52 AM
A 59

EWP qualifies for Warblade's weapon aptitude. EWP is one of 'any feat that applies to one weapon only'.

EDIT: Ninja...

sreservoir
2011-01-30, 09:08 AM
Q 60

What constitutes the archivist's "spell list"?

Kaww
2011-01-30, 09:41 AM
A 60

Archivist may learn any spell from ANY DIVINE spellcasting class and add these to his spells known. This is not limited to base classes.

Kuma Kode
2011-01-30, 09:42 AM
A60

Cleric spells, plus any spells from another divine class that they've learned.

EDIT: The question is somewhat unclear, but I believe you're asking for what they're considered to have on their spell list for purposes of activating magic items and such.

Cruiser1
2011-01-30, 02:38 PM
Q61: How long does a spell last that has the Extend Spell (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/feats.htm#extendSpell) and Persistent Spell (CA) metamagic feats applied to it?

Depending on order that metamagic is applied, it could last for 2 days (Persisted to 24 hours, and then doubled), or still only last for 1 day (Extended from say 1 round/level to 2 rounds/level, and then increased to 24 hours). Another interpretation is to treat it like combining Maximize Spell and Empower Spell, where their increases are both added but independently of each other, which would make a 1 round/level spell last 24 hours + 1 round/level.

Claudius Maximus
2011-01-30, 04:22 PM
Q 62

Does the granted power of the Deception Mantle apply only to attacks with attack rolls (like regular concealment or Displacement), or does it apply to spells and similar attacks as well (like Blink without its caveats)?

Edhelras
2011-01-30, 06:24 PM
Q63

When undead flee from combat after being turned - do they start their run immediately as the turning takes place (i.e. on the cleric's turn), or do they start running on their next turn?
As they start running, is that a Withdraw action that doesn't provoke an AoO, or is it something more disorderly that does indeed allow an AoO?

OMG PONIES
2011-01-31, 07:02 AM
A52 Discussion:

Sorry to revisit this question from the top of the page, but this just came up for me recently.

After selecting a devil-touched feat, you can no longer use or select exalted feats. Also, each devil-touched feat imposes a -1 circumstance penalty on all Charisma-based skill checks made to interact with good creatures and animals.

The only RAW question, then, is whether or not a Hellbred "selects" Devil's Favor.

Kaww
2011-01-31, 08:17 AM
A52 Discussion:

Sorry to revisit this question from the top of the page, but this just came up for me recently.

The only RAW question, then, is whether or not a Hellbred "selects" Devil's Favor.

This question has it's own thread here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=185468).

Eric Phail
2011-01-31, 10:28 AM
Q64

Can the Psychoactive Skin, Skin of Ectoplasmic Armour (MIC 170) be further enhanced as though it were normal armour (eg. +1 Light Fortified Skin of Ectoplasmic Armour)

Q65

Psi-Like Abilites: Are they auto-augmented to manifester level without spending power points (in any fashion the user chooses), augmentmentable from the user's PP reserve, or impossible to augment?

AugustNights
2011-01-31, 10:41 AM
A 58 Dispute

Multiplying

Sometimes a rule makes you multiply a number or a die roll. As long as you’re applying a single multiplier, multiply the number normally. When two or more multipliers apply to any abstract value (such as a modifier or a die roll), however, combine them into a single multiple, with each extra multiple adding 1 less than its value to the first multiple. Thus, a double (×2) and a double (×2) applied to the same number results in a triple (×3, because 2 + 1 = 3).

When applying multipliers to real-world values (such as weight or distance), normal rules of math apply instead. A creature whose size doubles (thus multiplying its weight by 8) and then is turned to stone (which would multiply its weight by a factor of roughly 3) now weighs about 24 times normal, not 10 times normal. Similarly, a blinded creature attempting to negotiate difficult terrain would count each square as 4 squares (doubling the cost twice, for a total multiplier of ×4), rather than as 3 squares (adding 100% twice).

Real world values, such as distance, follow the normal rules of multiplication. I have no idea what the order of operations would be however.

Derjuin
2011-01-31, 11:24 AM
Q 66

Does one keep Inherent bonuses to abilities (from Wish, Tome of Bodily Health, etc.) when in a wild shape form?

dextercorvia
2011-01-31, 11:44 AM
Q 67
Does the invisibility effect from the Blinding Color Surge spell in PHBII behave like the invisibility spell, or can you attack and stay invisible?

Ionizer
2011-01-31, 06:42 PM
Q 68

Does a Thrallherd's Psioinic Dominate ability allow him to augment a power "beyond" his manifester level?

For example, a Psion5/Thrallherd7 has a ML of 11. If using the Thrallherd 1/daily ability to lower the PP cost of Psi Dominate by an amount equal to his Thrallherd level, could that character augment the Psi Dominate so that:

* Its duration is 1 day/level (+4 PP, +2 DC)
* It effects up to 2 targets (+2 PP, +1 DC)
* It affects everything except Constructs, Oozes, Plants and Undead (+4 PP, +2 DC, ("Greater Dominate" bypasses the normal +2 PP augment to affect some more types)

Essentially, it would normally take (7+4+2+4=) 17 PP to manifest that, which is beyond an 11th Level manifester, however, the Thrallherd is reducing that cost to (17-7=) 10 PP, which is well within the reach of an 11th level manifester. Is this legal?

Relevant text:

Psionic Dominate (Ex)

At 5th level, a thrallherd adds psionic dominate to her powers known (if she doesn’t already know it) Once per day, she can manifest psionic dominate at a reduced power point cost. The cost of psionic dominate is reduced by the thrallherd’s level, to a minimum of 1 power point. The effect of this power is still restricted by the thrallherd’s manifester level.

Greater Dominate (Ex)

At 7th level and higher, a thrallherd does not have to pay 2 additional power points when she augments psionic dominate to affect animals, fey, giants, magical beasts, and monstrous humanoids. This reduced point cost does not increase the save DC of the power as if she had spent the additional power points.

Emphasis mine, and what I believe is at the crux of the issue.

Dominate, Psionic
Telepathy (Compulsion) [Mind-Affecting]
Level: Telepath 4
Display: Mental
Manifesting Time: 1 round
Range: Medium (100 ft. + 10 ft./level)
Target: One humanoid
Duration: Concentration
Saving Throw: Will negates
Power Resistance: Yes
Power Points: 7

As the dominate person spell, except as noted here.
Augment

You can augment this power in one or more of the following ways.

1. If you spend 2 additional power points, this power can also affect an animal, fey, giant, magical beast, or monstrous humanoid.
2. If you spend 4 additional power points, this power can also affect an aberration, dragon, elemental, or outsider in addition to the creature types mentioned above.
3. For every 2 additional power points you spend, this power can affect an additional target. Any additional target cannot be more than 15 feet from another target of the power.
4. If you spend 1 additional power point, this power’s duration is 1 hour rather than concentration. If you spend 2 additional power points, this power’s duration is 1 day rather than concentration. If you spend 4 additional power points, this power’s duration is 1 day per manifester level rather than concentration.

In addition, for every 2 additional power points you spend to achieve any of these effects, this power’s save DC increases by 1.

Seth62
2011-01-31, 06:58 PM
Hey, I have a problum. My party is playing a elite game at the moment and we are in a desert to destroy some runes. Only problum is that our first cleric (a ghost) died and will be back in three days in the game and I the second cleric who was providing the shade and protection from elements am now away for 2-5 weeks so I left the group in the alone. ohh plus the first rune we broke sent out a wave of wisdom drain and renderd our barbarian's (2 of them a troll and a sea hag unconsious) so that our part is now just a kobolt half-dragon rogue 1st level, a weretiger teifling 2nd level, a half-celestial human fighter 4th level, and our mindflayer 2nd level psion. what can they do :smallfrown: it's a harsh desert and our GM likes taking advantage of situation. Please help (Advice) or useful items?

Private-Prinny
2011-01-31, 07:09 PM
Hey, I have a problum. My party is playing a elite game at the moment and we are in a desert to destroy some runes. Only problum is that our first cleric (a ghost) died and will be back in three days in the game and I the second cleric who was providing the shade and protection from elements am now away for 2-5 weeks so I left the group in the alone. ohh plus the first rune we broke sent out a wave of wisdom drain and renderd our barbarian's (2 of them a troll and a sea hag unconsious) so that our part is now just a kobolt half-dragon rogue 1st level, a weretiger teifling 2nd level, a half-celestial human fighter 4th level, and our mindflayer 2nd level psion. what can they do :smallfrown: it's a harsh desert and our GM likes taking advantage of situation. Please help (Advice) or useful items?

Something like this is far too broad for simple Q&A, and probably wants its own thread.

Seth62
2011-01-31, 07:23 PM
how would I create a new thread???

Ksheep
2011-01-31, 07:34 PM
Q70
I am trying to find out how much damage one would take if they were to be teleported inside a solid object. I can't seem to find anything in the spell description, but I've found two different things from similar spells: Dimension Door and Ethereal Jaunt. Dimension Door states that you get shunted to a random space within 100 feet at take 1d6, or 1000 feet while taking 2d6, or ending where you started from and taking 4d6. Ethereal Jaunt, on the other hand, says you get shunted to the nearest open space and take 1d6 per 5 feet. Is there any straight ruling for Teleport, and if not, which of these others (if either) should be used?

Thurbane
2011-01-31, 07:43 PM
Q 071

The Cleric ACF Pool of Healing (CC) states that it is an SLA. How would you determine what it’s equivalent “spell level” is for using the Quicken Spell Like Ability feat on it?

KillianHawkeye
2011-01-31, 08:38 PM
how would I create a new thread???

Click the big button near the top of the page that says "New Thread."

Rasman
2011-02-01, 03:17 AM
A 70 It MIGHT depend on what teleport spell you use. For just plain Teleport, the SRD States.

Mishap

You and anyone else teleporting with you have gotten “scrambled.” You each take 1d10 points of damage, and you reroll on the chart to see where you wind up. For these rerolls, roll 1d20+80. Each time “Mishap” comes up, the characters take more damage and must reroll.

Familiarity---------On Target----Off Target----Similar-----Area Mishap
Very familiar-------01-97--------98-99---------100----------_-------
Studied carefully---01-94--------95-97--------98-99--------100
Seen casually------01-88--------89-94--------95-98-------99-100
Viewed once-------01-76--------77-88--------89-96-------97-100
False destination (1d20+80)--------------------81-92-------93-100

So, in short, they take 1d10 for EVERY time they roll a 93 or higher, or a 13. So there's a 65% chance they won't take damage and a 35% chance they will.

Q 72 Warblades learn stances at 1st level, 4th level, 10th level, and 16th level. Which means they can choose from 1st level, "2nd" level, 5th level and 8th level Stances, in that respective order based on the Initiator Level chart. There are NO 2nd level stances in their available styles, so this mean a Warblade is REQUIRE to take two 1st level stances?

My reason for asking is that Tome of Battle states...

You begin play with knowledge of one 1st-level stance from any discipline open to warblades. At 4th, 10th, and 16th level, you can choose additional stances. Unlike maneuvers, stances are not expended, and you do not have to ready them. All the stances you know are available to you at all times, and you can change the stance you are currently using as a swift action. A stance is an extraordinary ability unless otherwise stated in the stance description.

Unlike with maneuvers, you cannot learn a new stance at higher levels in place of one you already know.

Does the "can" mean that you can wait until you can learn a 3rd level stance at 5th level instead of learning a 1st level stance at 4th level?

ffone
2011-02-01, 04:25 AM
Q72

Many wondrous items have some number of uses or charges per day. When/how are these charges refreshed? Is it whenever the possessor of the item rests (regains spells or would if they cast them), is it some specific time of day (such as dawn), or something else?

Rasman
2011-02-01, 04:49 AM
Q72

Many wondrous items have some number of uses or charges per day. When/how are these charges refreshed? Is it whenever the possessor of the item rests (regains spells or would if they cast them), is it some specific time of day (such as dawn), or something else?

Er...you're out of order, I have Q72 above you.

A 73

Also, it depends on the item. Some items give specific times of day that they reset. For the most part, I've always had it ruled that the item refreshes at the same time as the party wizard would refresh his spells. You can also use the Default, after 24 hours, as well, but the staple seems to be at the same time a prepared caster would prepare their spells for the day.

powerdemon
2011-02-01, 07:23 AM
Q 74
What ways exist to recharge used charges on charged items?

In this case I mean items that don't have rules included in the item description for recharging them such as stated in the last few questions.

Greenish
2011-02-01, 09:00 AM
Q 72 Warblades learn stances at 1st level, 4th level, 10th level, and 16th level. Which means they can choose from 1st level, "2nd" level, 5th level and 8th level Stances, in that respective order based on the Initiator Level chart. There are NO 2nd level stances in their available styles, so this mean a Warblade is REQUIRE to take two 1st level stances?A 72.

Unless she takes levels in some other class prior to reaching 4th level, yes. The excerpt you provided doesn't claim that they can always take higher level stances.

Niezck
2011-02-01, 01:55 PM
Q75

Is there a way to add my natural armour bonus to my touch AC?

Claudius Maximus
2011-02-01, 01:59 PM
A 75

I am not immediately aware of any ways to do so perfectly. However there are means to effectively do so.

The spell Scintillating Scales (SpC) turns natural armor bonuses to deflection bonuses, which count against touch AC.

A wilder's Elude Touch (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/classes/wilder.htm#eludeTouch) ability can increase touch AC up to a maximum equal to your normal AC. With high enough charisma, natural AC boosts would eventually count to touch AC.

deuxhero
2011-02-01, 09:44 PM
q76

Anyone have a link to the math of the true-creation=antimater bomb? I know it doesn't work.

Claudius Maximus
2011-02-01, 09:50 PM
A 76

Not sure that's really appropriate for this thread, which is for rules questions.

Anyway, right here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2010735#post2010735).

Q 77

What is the RAW case for psicrystals getting feats? DO they get feats?

Also I'll repost this from the last page:

Q 62

Does the granted power of the Deception Mantle apply only to attacks with attack rolls (like regular concealment or Displacement), or does it apply to spells and similar attacks as well (like Blink without its caveats)?

dextercorvia
2011-02-01, 11:15 PM
A 77

Its Hit Dice are equal to its master’s Hit Dice (counting only levels in psion or wilder)

A monster gains feats just as a character does.

Additionally, the Psicrystal statblock is given for a 1st level manifester, and has one feat: Alertness.

I'll let you decide what those pieces add up to, but that is the RAW.

ffone
2011-02-02, 04:09 AM
Q78

Is the monk's Abundant Step ability self-only, or can he take additional willing creatures as per Dimension Door?

Same question for the shadowdancer's Shadow Jump.

(Both abilities cite Dimension Door, and don't say "self only" the way many Outsiders' teleport spell-like abilities do, but the text otherwise has a qualitatively self-only feel.)

Kaww
2011-02-02, 04:49 AM
A78

As written you get the ability that functions like dimension door. That means you can bring 'passengers' and or objects.

Forb
2011-02-02, 04:56 AM
Q 79

Is there any way for a Tibbit to speak common while in cat form?

Kaww
2011-02-02, 04:58 AM
A 79

I think this is not a question for this thread.

Some ways to do it:

One way is Master of Many Forms - gets shifter's speech. Maybe ventriloquism, depending on the DM...

Stegyre
2011-02-02, 10:31 AM
A 62
The Deception Mantle's special ability applies to "attacks that target you."

"Attack" is a term defined by the glossary (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/glossary&term=Glossary_dnd_attack&alpha=):

"Any of numerous actions intended to harm, disable, or neutralize an opponent. The outcome of an attack is determined by an attack roll."

In sum, the miss chance applies only against attacks having an attack roll, because all attacks have attack rolls.

Laharal
2011-02-02, 12:00 PM
Q80

Just to confirm something about read magic: if a lvl 1 cleric can use it 10 minutes, can he use it to decipher more than one scroll or each object (scroll, door glyphs, etc) requires a separate read magic?

Kaww
2011-02-02, 12:29 PM
A80

In the spell description wording is scrolls, as in more than one. So you are OK as long as you read less than 250 words per minute.

Nohwl
2011-02-02, 03:19 PM
Q. 81

does residual magic apply to a recaster altering a spell using one of the class features (components, time, space)?

cd4
2011-02-02, 05:20 PM
Q82

Using Polymorph any object, Can I turn a pebble into 2000 cubic feet of lead?

Kuma Kode
2011-02-02, 05:27 PM
A82

If you're 20th level, yup. Though I'd be careful about the spell's close range. :smallsmile:

Thurbane
2011-02-02, 05:31 PM
Q 071

The Cleric ACF Pool of Healing (CC) states that it is an SLA. How would you determine what it’s equivalent “spell level” is for using the Quicken Spell Like Ability feat on it?
Re-post for a new page.

Curmugeon, where art thou? :smallbiggrin:

Stegyre
2011-02-02, 05:36 PM
A 71
Well, what spell level do you think an ACF obtained by "permanently sacrific[ing] one of your 4th-level spell slots" should be?

*hint* *hint*

Kuma Kode
2011-02-02, 05:36 PM
A71

Spell-like abilities usually imitate an actual spell, so that's what you would normally use. If they don't imitate a spell, they're supposed to have the information in their text. Since Pool of Healing is generally benign, they must not have thought to add it in.

The warlock's eldritch blast, also a non-spell class-granted spell-like ability, is equivalent to a first-level spell, so I'd just go with that. Eh, was working off memory.

Go with 4th level.

Thurbane
2011-02-02, 05:43 PM
A 071 cont.

While I certainly agree that 4th level "feels" right, and is probably RAI, I'm not entirely convinced this is RAW. Still, there may not be a 100% RAW answer on this one.

Cheers. :smallwink:

Rasman
2011-02-03, 05:50 AM
Q 83.

If you have a Permanenced Enlarge Person cast on you and you drink a Potion of Enlarge Person, does anything happen?

Runestar
2011-02-03, 05:58 AM
Q 83.

If you have a Permanenced Enlarge Person cast on you and you drink a Potion of Enlarge Person, does anything happen?

I doubt it - your base size is still medium. The same way 2 enlarge person spells cast on you in rapid order do not stack.

KillianHawkeye
2011-02-03, 08:04 AM
A 83 No.

Runestar is correct. Two castings of enlarge person will not stack with each other, regardless of one being permanent and the other being from a potion.

Khatoblepas
2011-02-03, 08:40 AM
Q84

The Mechanatrix (Fiend Folio) heals 1 point of damage for every 3 points of electricity damage they would have taken. This means they absorb Electricity damage as healing.

If one took the Conductivity feat (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/buildingCharacters/spelltouchedFeats.htm#conductivity[/url), what effect would it have on the target within 30ft of you?

Would they heal? (You took -X damage, and they take half) Would they get hurt by the electricity (half the damage you would have taken), or does nothing happen?

Chen
2011-02-03, 08:49 AM
Q84

Is there somewhere that specifies what exactly "interacting" with an illusion means? Do you have to physically touch it? E.g., I use silent image to create a wall in front of me. Does someone looking at the wall get the save or do they need to touch it?

Q85

Back to the illusionary wall above, can I see through said wall (I know its an illusion)?

Q86

If another spellcaster uses spellcraft to identify an illusion spell I am casting do they gain any benefit to disbelieving it? Logically it would make sense that they KNOW its an illusion but I don't think there's anything specifying this.

classy one
2011-02-03, 09:02 AM
Q87
How does level adjustment work with racial/monstrous HD? Say if I wanted to play a yuan-ti pureblood, which has a LA+2 and 4 HD. Does this mean I would have to be level 7 to take class levels or level 5?

Q88
Where can I get more info on the shalasskar? I don't have much in the way of crunch on them. Should I assume they have the same stats as yuan-ti unless otherwise noted?

Kaww
2011-02-03, 09:13 AM
A87

Your ECL=LA+RHD+CL. If you want to play a yuan-ti pureblood which has LA2 and RHD4 you need to be ECL 7 to you take your first CL.

Kuma Kode
2011-02-03, 09:28 AM
A84

Rules of the Game (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/rg/20060221a) clarifies this a bit. Essentially, any time you do something that could affect the illusion, or could cause it to effect you. Touching it, attacking it, casting a spell on it, or asking it a question (if it's a person) all are considered "interacting with it."

A85

No. Even if you know the illusion for what it is, you still see it as it is. Book search fail. Yes, you see the illusion as transparent if it is a figment or phantasm.

A86
There's no real RAW on this, but neither is there a line that says a spellcaster automatically knows his own spell is an illusion. Go with logic. If the enemy identifies you're casting an illusion, they know not to trust the next few moments.

A87

Level adjustment adds to racial hit die. 4 HD and +2 LA means the character is 6th level out of the box for purposes of experience gain and level equivalency. They gain no benefits from the +2 LA, such as hit points, and only possess 4 HD, so they could still be affected by certain spells with a HD limit, like sleep, even though they are treated like a 6th level character for party balance purposes.

This is why LA has such a bad reputation and is usually avoided if possible.

Greenish
2011-02-03, 09:37 AM
Q88
Where can I get more info on the shalasskar? I don't have much in the way of crunch on them. Should I assume they have the same stats as yuan-ti unless otherwise noted?A88

Shulassakar, whom I assume you meant, use the same statistics as yuan-ti. The only difference is that they're covered in feathers. Their equivalent to yuan-ti abomination is called "transcended". Secrets of Xen'drik has a small info box on them on page 68.

Douple weapon questions!

Q89

a) When making an Attack of Opportunity with a double weapon you used for TWF on your turn, can you choose to treat it as a two-handed weapon?

b) Does the "set against charge" function of Steadfast Boots (MIC) work when you're wielding a double weapon? Does it matter whether you used it to TWF during the round?

c) How many weapons crystals can you fit into a double weapon?

d) Can you treat a double weapon as a two-handed weapon for some of the attacks on full attack while claiming extra attacks from TWF (without Revenant Blade)?

ffone
2011-02-03, 04:32 PM
Q89

A character is hiding in the open via Hide in Plain Sight. She is then paralyzed (by some area effect such as a silver dragon's breath, aka something that doesn't require line of sight to target). Does she remain hidden?

Keld Denar
2011-02-03, 04:51 PM
A 81

No. If you were actually applying metamagic for free (such as through DMM or similar cost free metamagic ability), then residual metamagic would work. If you are doing something that simulates metamagic, but isn't actually metamagic, then Residual Metamagic would have no effect.

For example, even tough a Duskblade's Quick Cast feature is similar to Quicken Spell, a Duskblade with Quicken Spell and Residual Metamagic who Quick Cast a Ray of Enfeeblement couldn't cast a Quickened Ray of Enfeeblement the next round using Residual Metamagic.

A 89
A) Given that TWF penalties persist through your action until the start of your next turn, its safe to assume that AoOs made in the round after TWFing are treated as 1-handed rather than 2.

B) Yes. Steadfast Boots override whatever conditions normally apply. If you are wielding a weapon that doesn't require ANY hands, such as a boot blade, it would still be considered two handed simply because Steadfast Boots says it is. Execptions to rules and all that.

C) Two. One on either end. You'd only get the benefit of each crystal with each end of the weapon though. Some crystals, like the Quickdraw one, would obviously work with the whole weapon, but others like the ones that require you to hit a foe would only work with one end. Remember, a double weapon is treated in most regards as two seperate weapons duct taped together.

D) No. TWF is a combat action that takes a full round action. If you start full attacking without it, you can't switch to TWFing mode mid attack anymore than you could start casting a spell in the middle of a full attack.

A 89 Nothing says she would be any harder or easier to see due to paralysis. In fact, citing Invisibility as a precident, being paralyzed would actually make you tougher to find, as completely immobile people/objects get a +40 to hide while invisible but mobile people only get a +20 to hide.

Rasman
2011-02-03, 05:07 PM
Q 90. Scorpion Kama, from the MIC, treat their damage as the same as your Unarmed Strike damage. If you cast Greater Mighty Wallop on your Fists, i.e. Unarmed Strike, does the damage dealt by the Scorpion Kama also increase since your Unarmed Strike deals more damage based on its size increase?

Keld Denar
2011-02-03, 05:27 PM
A 90 Yes. Scorpion Kama isn't based off your base UAS damage, its based off whatever your UAS is at the time. If you took INA, that would increase your UAS damage. If you cast GMWallop, that would increase your UAS damage.

Greenish
2011-02-03, 05:35 PM
A 89B) Yes. Steadfast Boots override whatever conditions normally apply. If you are wielding a weapon that doesn't require ANY hands, such as a boot blade, it would still be considered two handed simply because Steadfast Boots says it is. Execptions to rules and all that.Huh? I don't see anything in Steadfast Boots that would make a weapon into two-hander if it isn't. The "brace" option just requires you to carry a two-handed weapon (which, by your other answers, a double weapon used for TWF wouldn't be).

Claudius Maximus
2011-02-03, 07:59 PM
Q 91

Assuming the distance requirement is met, do teleportation abilities trigger Skirmish?

Keld Denar
2011-02-03, 08:31 PM
Huh? I don't see anything in Steadfast Boots that would make a weapon into two-hander if it isn't. The "brace" option just requires you to carry a two-handed weapon (which, by your other answers, a double weapon used for TWF wouldn't be).

Oh, right, I was thinking of something else. So...yea, you are carrying a 2handed weapon, so you would get the attack, but you still treat the weapon as a 1handed weapon for that attack.

A 91 RAW would indicate yes. It just says move, it doesn't say "walk" or "hustle" or "charge". Astral movement is still movement.

Rasman
2011-02-03, 08:45 PM
Q 92.

What EXACTLY happens if you sunder a Wizard's staff while he's holding it? Are the spells unleashed on you , on him, it turns into a broken stick?

Kuma Kode
2011-02-03, 09:08 PM
A92

Staves are no different than any other magic item. If sundered, it is destroyed. Only those that specifically state they explode when destroyed do so.

Keld Denar
2011-02-03, 09:08 PM
A 92

Unless its a Staff of Power or Staff of the Magi, you'd just end up with two+ pieces of broken stick. SoP and SotM specifically have retributive strike rules.

Ionizer
2011-02-03, 09:39 PM
Repost, since it seems to have been skipped over:

Q 68

Does a Thrallherd's Psionic Dominate ability allow him to augment a power "beyond" his manifester level?

For example, a Psion5/Thrallherd7 has a ML of 11. If using the Thrallherd 1/daily ability to lower the PP cost of Psi Dominate by an amount equal to his Thrallherd level, could that character augment the Psi Dominate so that:

* Its duration is 1 day/level (+4 PP, +2 DC)
* It effects up to 2 targets (+2 PP, +1 DC)
* It affects everything except Constructs, Oozes, Plants and Undead (+4 PP, +2 DC, ("Greater Dominate" bypasses the normal +2 PP augment to affect some more types)

Essentially, it would normally take (7+4+2+4=) 17 PP to manifest that, which is beyond an 11th Level manifester, however, the Thrallherd is reducing that cost to (17-7=) 10 PP, which is well within the reach of an 11th level manifester. Is this legal?

Relevant text:

Psionic Dominate (Ex)

At 5th level, a thrallherd adds psionic dominate to her powers known (if she doesn’t already know it) Once per day, she can manifest psionic dominate at a reduced power point cost. The cost of psionic dominate is reduced by the thrallherd’s level, to a minimum of 1 power point. The effect of this power is still restricted by the thrallherd’s manifester level.

Greater Dominate (Ex)

At 7th level and higher, a thrallherd does not have to pay 2 additional power points when she augments psionic dominate to affect animals, fey, giants, magical beasts, and monstrous humanoids. This reduced point cost does not increase the save DC of the power as if she had spent the additional power points.

Emphasis mine, and what I believe is at the crux of the issue.

Dominate, Psionic
Telepathy (Compulsion) [Mind-Affecting]
Level: Telepath 4
Display: Mental
Manifesting Time: 1 round
Range: Medium (100 ft. + 10 ft./level)
Target: One humanoid
Duration: Concentration
Saving Throw: Will negates
Power Resistance: Yes
Power Points: 7

As the dominate person spell, except as noted here.
Augment

You can augment this power in one or more of the following ways.

1. If you spend 2 additional power points, this power can also affect an animal, fey, giant, magical beast, or monstrous humanoid.
2. If you spend 4 additional power points, this power can also affect an aberration, dragon, elemental, or outsider in addition to the creature types mentioned above.
3. For every 2 additional power points you spend, this power can affect an additional target. Any additional target cannot be more than 15 feet from another target of the power.
4. If you spend 1 additional power point, this power’s duration is 1 hour rather than concentration. If you spend 2 additional power points, this power’s duration is 1 day rather than concentration. If you spend 4 additional power points, this power’s duration is 1 day per manifester level rather than concentration.

In addition, for every 2 additional power points you spend to achieve any of these effects, this power’s save DC increases by 1.

Rasman
2011-02-03, 09:51 PM
A92

Staves are no different than any other magic item. If sundered, it is destroyed. Only those that specifically state they explode when destroyed do so.

A 92

Unless its a Staff of Power or Staff of the Magi, you'd just end up with two+ pieces of broken stick. SoP and SotM specifically have retributive strike rules.

I figured as much. Kinda knew our DM was full of BS when that Staff of Pain blew up in our Cleric's face and knocked him out for a day. Also good to know for my Wizard Breaker I'm building.

Thank you very much.

Thurbane
2011-02-03, 11:24 PM
Q 093

Is it possible to get an "arcane caster level" with an SLA, without being an arcane caster? Specifically, the Sand Shaper PrC lists as a prereq "Spells or Spell-Like Abilities: Arcane caster level 5th." - wondering how this would be possible. I thought SLAs were generally neither arcane nor divine, and AFAIK did not grant a "caster level".

dextercorvia
2011-02-03, 11:31 PM
A 93
Arcane Caster Level is different than Arcane Spellcaster Level. The first is the Caster level for Arcane SLA's, the second is the total of levels in an Arcane Spellcasting class and effective levels from PrC's.

A Warlock would have an Arcane Caster level.

Thurbane
2011-02-03, 11:50 PM
A 093 cont.

Thanks for the clarification. Is there any way other than Warlock (or DFA) to qualify? Ideally, as a divine caster with an innate SLA.

Private-Prinny
2011-02-04, 12:01 AM
Repost from page 6.

Q57

How would one go about adding bonuses to a Rod of Surprises (MIC p.58)?

dextercorvia
2011-02-04, 12:01 AM
A 93
Several. Too many to qualify for this thread. Vampires have a CL5 Gaseous Form ability, for example -- too bad about the LA+8. If you start a new thread I'll try to dig up some more.

RipperOfShirts
2011-02-04, 12:48 AM
Q94 With regards to special actions like Trip and Disarm, can you take a Full Attack action and use these actions in place of regular attacks, or can you only take one as a standard action?

dextercorvia
2011-02-04, 12:54 AM
A 94

Trip and Disarm attempts may be done in place of a regular attack during a Full Attack Action. (You can mix and match, too -- they don't all have to be the same.)

Thurbane
2011-02-04, 02:03 AM
A057

I'm not sure this is 100% RAW, but I would suggest as follows: the rod is treated as a +1 weapon in any of it's forms, for 6000gp. Normally a +1 weapon costs 2000gp (plus the masterwork weapon). I would follow the normal weapon bonus cost progression (8000, 18000, 32000 etc.) and add a flat 4000.

So, in effect:

6,000gp +1 Rod of Surprises
12,000gp +2 Rod of Surprises (or equivalent, such as +1 Flaming)
22,000gp +3 Rod of Surprises
36,000gp +4 Rod of Surprises
54,000gp +5 Rod of Surprises

Keld Denar
2011-02-04, 02:36 AM
A 68

Most people agree that the PP has to be less than your ML after the reduction. For example, if you had Earth Power, and a ML of 7, you could spend 8 points on a power because after Earth Power reduces the cost, its equal to or less than your ML.

It would be the same thing for Thrallherd. You could augement up to 17 PP, so long as your total reductions reduce the PP cost to less than your ML.

The foundation of this is the wording that "you can not spend more PP on a power than your ML". Since you don't spend the PP until after the reductions are factored in, the only number you have to worry about is the final number.

ffone
2011-02-04, 03:30 AM
Q95

Normally a rogue cannot add sneak attack damage to a target with concealment. Would a Seeking weapon ( http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/magicWeapons.htm#seeking ) allow her to?

RipperOfShirts
2011-02-04, 10:03 AM
A95 No, a seeking weaopn only negates miss chance. If you want to add Sneak Attack, there are a few Alternate Class Features and some Weapon crystals, but these are limited (either to only one type of creature or only half sneak attack)

powerdemon
2011-02-04, 10:29 AM
Repost from a few pages back

Q 74
What ways exist to recharge used charges on charged items?

In this case I mean items that don't have rules included in the item description for recharging them such as stated in the last few questions.