PDA

View Full Version : Dark Heresy. NPC, enemy and Big bad Boss ideas.

profitofrage
2011-01-20, 05:35 AM
Hey there everyone, Im fairly new to the whole GM thing but I think im handling it fairly well.
My main issue is that so far the enemies I have been throwing at my acolytes have thus far been fairly unimaginative humans (not including a Daemon weapon tempting the players and a Daemonhost out for blood during a particularly horrific.....also hilarious campaign)
So basically I was looking for ideas and builds for some more original enemies to throw at my acolytes.
Hell even just something that would catch most PC's off guard, all ideas are welcome :)

Myshlaevsky
2011-01-20, 06:09 AM
I like using some of the less well known xenos (http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Category:Minor_Alien_Species_and_Factions) species, as well as Adeptus Mechanicus and daemonic villains. Dark Heresy is fairly simple to design new antagonists for, and any of these offer near-limitless potential. There's a lot of mileage to be gotten out of things like the Lacrymole (http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Lacrymole), Umbra (http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Umbra), Barghesi (http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Barghesi), Nicassar (http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Nicassar) or simply by designing your own alien species. Daemonic or Mechanicus foes are so varied and disparate that you can design them with any capabilities and abilities you desire.

The last antagonist I used in DH was a Dark Mechanicus tech-priest who had a physical form made up of hundreds of mind-linked cherubim. I plan to feature a warp-tainted Nicassar telekine soon, who will run a slave market out of a crumbling, abandoned Imperial orbital station that is held together solely with the alien's powers. I'm also prepping a Rogue Trader as a future villain who will be illegally dealing in Spyrer suits. My aim is to have the players' characters pursue the Rogue Trader into a huge xenos safari complex where they'll have to hunt-or-be-hunted, contesting against a group of Spyrer suited mercenaries in a Jurassic Park style environment.

profitofrage
2011-01-20, 06:19 AM
I like using some of the less well known xenos (http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Category:Minor_Alien_Species_and_Factions) species, as well as Adeptus Mechanicus and daemonic villains. Dark Heresy is fairly simple to design new antagonists for, and any of these offer near-limitless potential. There's a lot of mileage to be gotten out of things like the Lacrymole (http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Lacrymole), Umbra (http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Umbra), Barghesi (http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Barghesi), Nicassar (http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Nicassar) or simply by designing your own alien species. Daemonic or Mechanicus foes are so varied and disparate that you can design them with any capabilities and abilities you desire.

The last antagonist I used in DH was a Dark Mechanicus tech-priest who had a physical form made up of hundreds of mind-linked cherubim. I plan to feature a warp-tainted Nicassar telekine soon, who will run a slave market out of a crumbling, abandoned Imperial orbital station that is held together solely with the alien's powers. I'm also prepping a Rogue Trader as a future villain who will be illegally dealing in Spyrer suits. My aim is to have the players' characters pursue the Rogue Trader into a huge xenos safari complex where they'll have to hunt-or-be-hunted, contesting against a group of Spyrer suited mercenaries in a Jurassic Park style environment.

I must say the Umbra sounds like a rather yummy context. Also your ideas (using the same metaphor) sound delicious especially the nicassar telekine. It is always rather fun to say at the end "no i didnt make it up it was refferenced in this book this one time" and see the looks on there faces :P

I am hesitant on putting in Xeno's at this stage though. its Early on in there "carreer" and there low level. While the low level doesnt bother me so much its more that i want to push upon them the whole "killling there fellow man" thing, so there less gun ho and more "dambit he probably had kids.."
Thanks for the ideas though, if you dont mind i think ill put them down in my "get em later with this" book.

FelixG
2011-01-20, 06:36 AM
A quick question, how much XP are they at? If you want to scare them senseless and get them to run away you could toss a single space marine at them.

profitofrage
2011-01-20, 06:40 AM
A quick question, how much XP are they at? If you want to scare them senseless and get them to run away you could toss a single space marine at them.

Currently there 3rd level, but higher level enemies is perfectly acceptable.
These guys went up against a Daemohost at level 2 and managed to get away with it. (by get away with it i mean one lost a leg and burnt a fate point...another picked up a daemon weapon in order to slay it...and they had to carry back there party leader back home in two large peices :S...thank god she was almost entirely mechanical."

FelixG
2011-01-20, 06:50 AM
haha sounds like the game is off to a wonderful start! But ya, a Space Marine or even Ogryn could be a panic mode enemy for them. They are both humans (well space marine is heavily altered and the Ogryn is just a freeeaaak :smallbiggrin:) so you could show humans don't just come in one package.

The Mechanicus is also a good potential source of enemies. Also I know you dont want to introduce Xenos to them yet, but perhaps have them being transported on a cruiser size ship when a Tyranid spore crashes into it.

With this you can create a Dead Space style feel, monsters hopping out to maul passengers and a new 'Nid virus changing people or melting them down ect. You could introduce them to some fun likable NPCs and have them get torn asunder to get the same 'he had kids!' feeling

profitofrage
2011-01-20, 06:54 AM
haha sounds like the game is off to a wonderful start! But ya, a Space Marine or even Ogryn could be a panic mode enemy for them. They are both humans (well space marine is heavily altered and the Ogryn is just a freeeaaak :smallbiggrin:) so you could show humans don't just come in one package.

The Mechanicus is also a good potential source of enemies. Also I know you dont want to introduce Xenos to them yet, but perhaps have them being transported on a cruiser size ship when a Tyranid spore crashes into it.

With this you can create a Dead Space style feel, monsters hopping out to maul passengers and a new 'Nid virus changing people or melting them down ect. You could introduce them to some fun likable NPCs and have them get torn asunder to get the same 'he had kids!' feeling

Mmmmm that does sound like good fun. I love the horror campaigns, im just afraid of throwing them into one so soon after the whole "lost a leg and half of joe" incident.
I do think i know who will be the bodyguard of my next sorcerer though :P a big smelly ogryn who chose to be "unnaturally loyal" to the wrong side :P

FelixG
2011-01-20, 06:56 AM
Mmmmm that does sound like good fun. I love the horror campaigns, im just afraid of throwing them into one so soon after the whole "lost a leg and half of joe" incident.
I do think i know who will be the bodyguard of my next sorcerer though :P a big smelly ogryn who chose to be "unnaturally loyal" to the wrong side :P

hehe such a fear is understandable, but what better way to get back on their feet (zing!) than to jump right into the frey against hideous horrible xenos!

profitofrage
2011-01-20, 06:58 AM
hehe such a fear is understandable, but what better way to get back on their feet (zing!) than to jump right into the frey against hideous horrible xenos!

That pun has sold me :P
still ^_^ id love to hear more ideas.
:P lol i have a whole mess of Fate points i have to deal with that one invasion isnt gonna fix XD

Avaris
2011-01-20, 07:57 AM
One of my favorite things about Dark Heresy (and indeed the 40k setting) is the shades of grey. You say thus far you've haad fairly unimaginative humans... have they been openly and obviously 'evil'? If so, consider trying some who aren't, but who are still an enemy of the Imperium.

As an example, one campaign I ran was set on a world with a huge divide between the noble and common classes. The final enemy was an insane preacher who stired the populace into rebellion over the decadance of the noble classes, having narrowly escaped death at the hands of a genestealer imported by a noble fighting ring (it was deep frozen, hence why there were only a couple of dozen casulties :smallbiggrin:). Thing is, he genuinely believed he was doing the Emperor's work, and the noble classes were genuinely corrupt. The imperium is all about the status quo of course.

To further expand on the concept, how about an Inquisitor? The inquisition is not united, and if a Puritan has got wind of your character's using a demon weapon he may well try to waylay them. His position allows him to make life difficult for the players, but he could be an ongoing antagonist that can't be dealt with simply by a meeting with the sharp end of a chainaxe.

Calimos
2011-01-20, 08:00 AM
Another approach could be to use a decadent but well connected noble (there are many noble houses in the Imperium, dealing with a variety of goods, services etc). Such a character, could act with the backing of the Imperial society, being able to achieve many things via his name and wealth, while also having enough connections to impede Arbites investigations and - should he understand that the acolytes close in on him - flee off-world.

Against such an enemy, the acolytes must be careful, for even while meeting him in a social event hosted in his estate, where his noble attire may cause them to think that he's vulnerable and "only human"", there is nothing stopping him from having combat servitors ready to defend him at any moment, or perhaps a highly trained assassin functioning as bodyguard who hides in the shadows awaiting anyone to strike against his master. Besides assassination attempts are commonplace among the Imperial nobility and those wise enough to fear such a prospect, take care to ensure their protection.

Apart from that, choosing the direct route against such an enemy, could upset the whole city where the operation takes place and potentially close more doors to the acolytes than it could open. Maybe their inquisitor has expressly forbidden to let any knowledge of this go public until they have accumulated solid evidence. Then the acolytes will probably see that it is to their best interests to utilize guile, deception and perhaps undercover infiltration, exploring thus another interesting theme in Dark Heresy.

Truth is that i am no GM myself and thus i cannot guarantee the validity and effectivenes of my advice but i hope that you get the general idea and that it helps a bit in designing your adventures in the grim, dark future of the 41st millenium. :smallsmile:

profitofrage
2011-01-20, 08:04 AM
One of my favorite things about Dark Heresy (and indeed the 40k setting) is the shades of grey. You say thus far you've haad fairly unimaginative humans... have they been openly and obviously 'evil'? If so, consider trying some who aren't, but who are still an enemy of the Imperium.

As an example, one campaign I ran was set on a world with a huge divide between the noble and common classes. The final enemy was an insane preacher who stired the populace into rebellion over the decadance of the noble classes, having narrowly escaped death at the hands of a genestealer imported by a noble fighting ring (it was deep frozen, hence why there were only a couple of dozen casulties :smallbiggrin:). Thing is, he genuinely believed he was doing the Emperor's work, and the noble classes were genuinely corrupt. The imperium is all about the status quo of course.

To further expand on the concept, how about an Inquisitor? The inquisition is not united, and if a Puritan has got wind of your character's using a demon weapon he may well try to waylay them. His position allows him to make life difficult for the players, but he could be an ongoing antagonist that can't be dealt with simply by a meeting with the sharp end of a chainaxe.

Well actually the last several campaigns have revolved around them gathering evidence on an inquisitor There inquisitor belives has gone rouge.
There currently doing a mission in the underhives of Sibellus (sp?) while the Inquisitor presents all the evidence.
So far the humans they have faced have thus beem...Fuedal slaves on a mining world...the fuedal forces protecting a castle they had to infiltrate. Biker mercenaries that turned on them when things got "to freaky" in the horror campaign.
Now there shooting there way through an underhive hub filled with the downtrodden.
:) im really looking for singular noticeable NPC ideas. one like your preacher idea ^_^ people they can relate to :P then are later forced to kill..or likewise do something nasty and "immoral" by our not 40k standards.

profitofrage
2011-01-20, 08:07 AM
Another approach could be to use a decadent but well connected noble (there are many noble houses in the Imperium, dealing with a variety of goods, services etc). Such a character, could act with the backing of the Imperial society, being able to achieve many things via his name and wealth, while also having enough connections to impede Arbites investigations and - should he understand that the acolytes close in on him - flee off-world.

hate double posting :) but i wanted to thank you for the idea.

any more specific ideas ^_^ such as possible stats or interesting calling cards for NPC's?

Avaris
2011-01-20, 08:08 AM
:) im really looking for singular noticeable NPC ideas. one like your preacher idea ^_^ people they can relate to :P then are later forced to kill..or likewise do something nasty and "immoral" by our not 40k standards.

How about a commander of the Imperial Guard or a planetary pdf force? Build him up so that when a threat is developing he seems resonable and quite tactically minded, but panics and utilises extreme force when an attack is actually happening. Maybe an elder general who thought he'd seen the end of war and was posted to a backwater planet, or a younger one who knows all the theory but has no real experience. Once he turns his guns on obviously innocent civilians for the mildest offence the players will have to decide if he is more asset or liability.

profitofrage
2011-01-20, 08:14 AM
How about a commander of the Imperial Guard or a planetary pdf force? Build him up so that when a threat is developing he seems resonable and quite tactically minded, but panics and utilises extreme force when an attack is actually happening. Maybe an elder general who thought he'd seen the end of war and was posted to a backwater planet, or a younger one who knows all the theory but has no real experience. Once he turns his guns on obviously innocent civilians for the mildest offence the players will have to decide if he is more asset or liability.

oooooo i like that idea. Especially since i had a battlefield mission in the works down the track.
keep em coming guys/girls and mech writes. :P this stuff is gold