PDA

View Full Version : Newcomer to nWoD, advice?

CN the Logos
2011-01-20, 05:38 AM
So my girlfriend, who has never played a tabletop RPG in her life, has expressed an interest in playing a Vampire RPG with me, and I'd been thinking about getting into nWoD anyway. Normally, I prefer my vampires to be irredeemable antagonists, but I've read some of the background in the Vampire core book and I think I can accept their take on individual vampires as a compromise.*

Anyhow, this leads me to some questions regarding the gameline as a whole.

How newbie friendly is this system? Anything I can do to make it more so?

What books are good for a Vampire game? For that matter, if I were going to get into it as a player myself, I'd probably enjoy Hunter, Geist, or Mage, so whatever I'd need for them might be good to know for future reference.

How do the different playable creatures (mortal/hunter, geist, vampire, promethean, werewolf, and mage) stack up against each other balance-wise? I may want to take ideas for antagonists from books that aren't directly vampire-related, so I need to know where I should bother looking, and what's going to simply be too insane to bother with.

Related to the above, and just to satisfy my own curiosity, do games where the players choose different species work out? Because I got some great ideas from what I read of Geist's fluff, and if I can never have my sin-eater/werewolf (extremely dark) buddy comedy, I will be sad.

Any answers/advice on the matter would be welcome.

*I don't care for the fluff regarding ancient vampire conspiracies, or the idea that apex predators who hunt sapient prey would somehow think it was a good idea to travel in highly noticeable groups of three to six individuals. Fortunately, if I do get into this thing, I'll likely be running a solo game, so it won't matter.

Asheram
2011-01-20, 06:22 AM
I can only give you a general tip about survival, a quote from a good book.

-‘Heed the lesson there, son.’
-‘What lesson?’
-’Every decision you make can change the world. The best life is the one the gods don’t notice. You want to live free, boy, live quietly.’
-’I want to be a soldier. A hero.’
-’You’ll grow out of it.’

Kesnit
2011-01-20, 07:07 AM

Pretty friendly. You only use d10s. Dice pools are determined by the number of dots on the character sheet - no having to work out what you add to the roll. Just roll, and if any of them come up 8, 9, or 10, you succeeded. Plus, the games are more RP focused than combat focused.

What books are good for a Vampire game?

Starting out, just the core World of Darkness book (it's blue and called "World of Darkness") and the core ("Vampire: the Requiem") book. If you like it, you can pick up the other splat books.

For that matter, if I were going to get into it as a player myself, I'd probably enjoy Hunter, Geist, or Mage, so whatever I'd need for them might be good to know for future reference.

Same, except you don't need to pick up multiple copies of "World of Darkness." :smallbiggrin:

How do the different playable creatures (mortal/hunter, geist, vampire, promethean, werewolf, and mage) stack up against each other balance-wise?

Mages tend to be more powerful than the others, simply because of the way their powers work. (They can cast any spell that they have the skill levels for, not just ones they have specifically learned. Just their dice pools for non-learned spells are lower. In theory, they could cast any spell if they had enough XP and spread their points enough.) Vampires and Werewolves stack up pretty well against each other. Hunters depend on how well you equip them, since they are pretty much just mortals with fancy weapons. (Some Hunter groups have special powers, but not all.) I would not recommend Prometheans, since they tend to do nasty things to the environment around them. (You could run a campaign where the group is trying to stop a Promethean, but as NPCs, they aren't the greatest.) I've never played Geist, so I can't say much about it.

Related to the above, and just to satisfy my own curiosity, do games where the players choose different species work out?

Not usually. Vampires can't be out during the day, so if your group is mixed Vamp/non-Vamp, the vamp players will have to sit around during any daytime events. Mages, as I said, are powerful and can do more stuff, which can discourage non-Mage players.

sin-eater/werewolf (extremely dark) buddy comedy, I will be sad.

Not sure how you mean sin-eater/werewolf, but a character cannot be both. If a werewolf died and came back, they would lose their Werewolf template (along with all the stuff that goes with it) and pick up the Geist template. Same if a Werewolf got Embraced, or Awakened. Major templates cannot be stacked.

You can stack a major and an minor template. So if you had a Wolfblooded that died, they could come back as a Wolfblooded-Geist. Same if you had a Ghoul come back. However, if the Wolfblooded had First Change, they would lose Geist and become a Werewolf.

TheCountAlucard
2011-01-20, 10:18 AM
Not sure how you mean sin-eater/werewolf, but a character cannot be both.Pretty sure he meant like in "buddy cop" movies, simply that one of each is paired up with the other. Not in the same body or anything. :smalltongue:

Skjaldbakka
2011-01-20, 10:31 AM
The Geist venue is the most powerful, because they pretty much can't be killed, and they can get really big numbers.

Between Vampire and Werewolf, the werewolves are more powerful as a baseline, but there is more material out there for vampire, which pretty much means that for min-maxxers, vampires are more powerful. Also, werewolves are the only venue w/o any powers to contest Obfuscate with (unless you make a custom fetish).

Promethean I haven't played but have read the book. They seem about on par with werewolves, plus they can come back from the dead similar to geists. They have to buy the power to do so, unlike geists, which automagically do that.

Mages win at everything if they have time to prepare and know what they are facing, but are very much vulnerable to ambush. Advice on playing a mage is to have a rote for a spell that helps you escape when you get caught with your pants down, and always keep your best armor spell up.

Mages have the easiest road to victory against an opponent that is known, because they kill someone from afar using Space in conjunction with another sphere of magic that grants direct damage.

Changeling has a really good escape power off the bat, and can get big numbers, but are the lowest powered venue, IMO.

Loki Eremes
2011-01-20, 11:02 AM

Ill say, Vampire: The masquerade, was the easiest game to learn for me when i was starting to play RPGs

Is extremely easy for the player to understand if the master knows the rules.

d10s pool dice based on dots?
Newbie: yes please.

It took me about 2 months of playing to remember some of the ecuations in D&D, but about 2 sesions for VtM.

What books are good for a Vampire game? For that matter, if I were going to get into it as a player myself, I'd probably enjoy Hunter, Geist, or Mage, so whatever I'd need for them might be good to know for future reference.

My personal recommendation?

Start as a Vampire.

Its easier to survive as one.
I think Hunter is great, but you're human in a world of supernatural things. One mistake and you re done.

How do the different playable creatures (mortal/hunter, geist, vampire, promethean, werewolf, and mage) stack up against each other balance-wise? I may want to take ideas for antagonists from books that aren't directly vampire-related, so I need to know where I should bother looking, and what's going to simply be too insane to bother with.

At 1st lvl (a way to say NO xp awarded yet) the difference of power is amazing.
A solo hunter would never bring a vampire alone, and a solo vampire would never bring down a werewolf. (im talking about general situations here)

Mage is another story, they have naughty problems with magic nowadays, so if you are playing actual WoD check that out. But a good Mage could overkill almost anything, yet again, they have some tricky problems with magic.

You dont need lots of books, that another thing that made WoD easy to understand. The different core books (vampire, hunter, werewolf) have everything you need to play as each of them.

Related to the above, and just to satisfy my own curiosity, do games where the players choose different species work out? Because I got some great ideas from what I read of Geist's fluff, and if I can never have my sin-eater/werewolf (extremely dark) buddy comedy, I will be sad.

Humans, Vampires & Werewolves usually dont get along, specially because they are trying not to be discovered in first place.

Hunters (most of them) considers Vampires & Werewolves heretic monstruosities.
Vampire considers Humans as tool or cattle, & Werewolves as problems.
Werewolves considers Vampires as something unnatural that must be destroyed and they are neutral to humans

So in GENERAL, a party of a Hunter, a Vampire and a Werewolf will be something REALLY STRANGE. Im not saying that is imposibble, only most unlikely.
I´ve got once my Vampire PC that befriended a Hunter, but, its not easy when they are shooting at you xD.

*I don't care for the fluff regarding ancient vampire conspiracies, or the idea that apex predators who hunt sapient prey would somehow think it was a good idea to travel in highly noticeable groups of three to six individuals. Fortunately, if I do get into this thing, I'll likely be running a solo game, so it won't matter.

You could always create your own story, thats the most interesting thing about tabletops RPGs. But i recommend you adapting of what the different "CoreBooks" has for you.
Vampire society is really strict but i think it gives the game a fun challenge.

Hope i dont messed you up xD

SurlySeraph
2011-01-20, 01:15 PM
There's more support for mixed parties in NWoD than there was in OWoD. They certainly aren't precisely balanced, and you can run in a lot of trouble with combinations that hit each others' weaknesses; Autumn Court changelings and Sin-Eaters (Geist characters) using Pyre-Flame can throw a lot of fire around and accidentally make life terrible for vampire characters, vampires and werewolves can go into involuntary rages and shred anyone who can't get away from them.
While what Loki said about inter-supernatural relations is more true for OWoD than for NWoD. In NWoD vampires and werewolves cooperating is totally posible, though they don't tend to like each other; and Hunters can certainly cooperate with supernaturals, though they're unlikely to want to.

The Geist venue is the most powerful, because they pretty much can't be killed, and they can get really big numbers.

I disagree. They are hard to kill and keep killed, but if you kill them once and they *do* come back they're very vulnerable afterwards. They have some great powers, but they're weak in melee combat and don't have very good social powers. Plus they have a much harder time recovering plasm than most things in WoD have recovering their mana-equivalent. I'd put them solidly in second, after mages.

Mages win at everything if they have time to prepare and know what they are facing, but are very much vulnerable to ambush. Advice on playing a mage is to have a rote for a spell that helps you escape when you get caught with your pants down, and always keep your best armor spell up.

There are mages who don't always have Mage Armor and Mage Sight up? :smalltongue:

I mostly agree other than that, though.

RaveingRonin
2011-01-20, 02:59 PM
What ever you do, make it NOT Mage. It is about as easy to figure out as two Displacer Beasts making babies; you'll never know where whatever is. Heed my words, for they are full of wisdom and Sanity saving tips. Well, just one tip, but really, just don't even pick it up. I would recommend Hunter, and just limit the party to 1 organization. To make it simple, do one of the lower down the tier ones, like not The Charon Organization (love em, hate making characters for them). No book on hand, but if I recall it's a fairly cut and dry system with exposure to the supernatural.

Pigkappa
2011-01-20, 03:20 PM
At 1st lvl (a way to say NO xp awarded yet) the difference of power is amazing.
A solo hunter would never bring a vampire alone, and a solo vampire would never bring down a werewolf. (im talking about general situations here)

That's generally true but this game isn't centered on fighting. Some of the best disciplines are useless in combat; Domination and Majesty (likely the best disciplines of the core game (except Protean maybe)) aren't meant to be used while fighting (except Dominate 1 or Majesty 5, at most). A vampire can use these kind of powers much more easily than a werewolf.

OP: if you are new to this game and have to be a DM, just stick with the base manual and Vampires; there's no need for the PC to meet another kind of supernatural being. I've been playing V:tM for more than 2 years and we've only met other supernatural races twice, and it's a great campaign.

Loki Eremes
2011-01-20, 03:36 PM
That's generally true but this game isn't centered on fighting. Some of the best disciplines are useless in combat; Domination and Majesty (likely the best disciplines of the core game (except Protean maybe)) aren't meant to be used while fighting (except Dominate 1 or Majesty 5, at most). A vampire can use these kind of powers much more easily than a werewolf.

OP: if you are new to this game and have to be a DM, just stick with the base manual and Vampires; there's no need for the PC to meet another kind of supernatural being. I've been playing V:tM for more than 2 years and we've only met other supernatural races twice, and it's a great campaign.

How do the different playable creatures (mortal/hunter, geist, vampire, promethean, werewolf, and mage) stack up against each other balance-wise?

He asked, I answered.
If he let 1 of his players use a werewolf at the begining of the campaing and other two are hunter and vampire..... its obvious what will happen balance-wise.

I know that this game in centered in roleplaying, but when combat time arrives, something bad happens.

Dingle
2011-01-20, 04:45 PM
for your fluff problems:
vampires aren't quite apex predators, but it's close enough to be a major theme.

A few general vampire facts

They can be killed by:
younger vampires who want thier power (generation/blood potency, among other things)
more powerful vampires they annoy enough
groups of humans/hunters if they reveal themselvs
other powerful supernaturals

groups of 3-6 vampires are just enough to pool thier skills and resources to avoid these ways to be killed

They're effectively immortal if they don't get killed.

more powerful vampires are harder to kill

dead vampires and ones that don't do anything other than hide don't affect anyone else, and therefore are not seen often.

many people (and also vampires) like power

more powerful vampires are harder to kill

The more powerful vampires affect more people/vampires, and are therefore seen more often

The type doesn't matter as much as you'd think (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0657.html)

Influence and Resources are types of power

Influence and Resources can be gained by conspiracy

Vampires have a lot of time on thier hands

Combining these gives:

surviving vampires and those who do enough stuff to be PCs are generally the ones who travel in groups of 3-6 (or very old and powerful)

Vampires don't have much better things to do than conspire.
The vampires who don't bother to conspire generally get left behind in power, and are either killed or drop out of sight or have other sources of power (eg. the occasional gangrel prince)

I claim that this explains the common, yet not explicitly pointed out aspects of vampires in White Wolf RPGs.

Kesnit
2011-01-20, 04:55 PM
Some of the best disciplines are useless in combat; Domination and Majesty (likely the best disciplines of the core game (except Protean maybe)) aren't meant to be used while fighting (except Dominate 1 or Majesty 5, at most).

I disagree on this. I once played a Daeva who was statted for Majesty and had no offensive capability. What I could do is use Majesty to distract enemies. Enemies don't fight very well when they are staring at the person yelling "Look at me! I'm pretty! You don't want to hit him; you want to look at me!"

SurlySeraph
2011-01-20, 05:07 PM
He asked, I answered.
If he let 1 of his players use a werewolf at the begining of the campaing and other two are hunter and vampire..... its obvious what will happen balance-wise.

I know that this game in centered in roleplaying, but when combat time arrives, something bad happens.

Here's how you make it work:
1. Werewolf handles melee. Vampires with the Protean 3 power Claws of the Beast are awesome in melee, but werewolves are awesome in melee right out of the box.
2. Act mostly at night to make things easy on the vampire. Handwave things if necessary. There are also some Coils of the Dragon abilities the vamp can pick up to be a bit useful during the day.
3. Give the hunter a rifle. There are surprisingly few things in WoD that an optimized mortal with a rifle cannot kill.
4. Keep the hunter back from the other two when fighting is likely, because if either one of them rages he is probably going to die.
5. Use social and mental abilities to make up for inherent limitations. For example, the vampire can take Retainer and ask to play his vampire character's retainer during the day instead of playing the vampire.

Kesnit
2011-01-20, 05:16 PM
2. Act mostly at night to make things easy on the vampire. Handwave things if necessary. There are also some Coils of the Dragon abilities the vamp can pick up to be a bit useful during the day.

Vampires have to be Ordo in order to use Coils. The Coil that allows being awake in the day still does not allow going out in the sun. The Coil that allows seeing the sun really only works at dawn and dusk. Otherwise, the sun is still too powerful.

3. Give the hunter a rifle. There are surprisingly few things in WoD that an optimized mortal with a rifle cannot kill.

Bullets only do Bashing to vampires. It takes a LONG time to kill a vampire by shooting them.

5. Use social and mental abilities to make up for inherent limitations. For example, the vampire can take Retainer and ask to play his vampire character's retainer during the day instead of playing the vampire.

Retainers take XP, and are going to be weaker than vampires. They also probably won't have vampire powers. (Ghouls can get some, but they have to be bought.)

TheCountAlucard
2011-01-20, 05:53 PM
Re: Hunters with rifles - there's also that one stripe of Slasher that only ever takes one damage from any attack, ever. That can be troublesome to kill before it can murder you back. :smalltongue:

SurlySeraph
2011-01-20, 06:17 PM
@^: Masks, yeah. But Combat Marksmanship lets you make up to four shots in a multiattack without being in stabbing range, so it's a lot better than nothing. Especially since Masks have -3 on Perception rolls to find hiding opponents due to Blinded by Blood.

Vampires have to be Ordo in order to use Coils. The Coil that allows being awake in the day still does not allow going out in the sun. The Coil that allows seeing the sun really only works at dawn and dusk. Otherwise, the sun is still too powerful.

Yep. But there's plenty you can do without going outside. Travel through the sewers to get wherever you need to go.

Bullets only do Bashing to vampires. It takes a LONG time to kill a vampire by shooting them.

Except headshots. Which are at -3, which is bad but entirely surmountable.

Retainers take XP, and are going to be weaker than vampires. They also probably won't have vampire powers. (Ghouls can get some, but they have to be bought.)

Indeed, but that's a lot better than doing nothing at all during the day. 4-5 merit dots are pretty cheap compared to "You can't do anything during the day" if the player doesn't want to go with Ordo Dracul.

Semidi
2011-01-20, 07:53 PM
Vampire: Requiem is by far one of the easiest game systems to play. For 90% of rolls, you add your ability score, plus a skill, plus modifiers, and then roll. 8, 9, an 10 are a success--re-roll all 10s.

In terms of other supernaturals and mixing, it doesn't usually work mostly because the different groups really don't care about each other and have their own concerns. Conflict can come and there can be some slight interaction, but in general, the settings are best kept not heavily mixed together. At least in my opinion.

It is a good idea though for any number of reasons.

Pigkappa
2011-01-20, 08:03 PM
He asked, I answered.

I didn't understand that he was gonna run a campaign with mixed races. That is a terrible idea IMHO; the party will have to split very, very often, if the races act as the books say. Even if there's some good reason for a mixed party to stay together (which is unlikely), a mage just can't say to his mage friends "this is my new friend: Dracula".

I once played a Daeva who was statted for Majesty and had no offensive capability. What I could do is use Majesty to distract enemies. Enemies don't fight very well when they are staring at the person yelling "Look at me! I'm pretty! You don't want to hit him; you want to look at me!"

I don't think you can use Majesty 1, 2, 3 or 4 in combat. There's a devotion on some splatbook which lets you use Majesty 3 in combat, so you definitely can't do that for free. Majesty 5 can do that (if I remember correctly), but it costs a lot of XPs and really few vampires can use it.

Indeed, but that's a lot better than doing nothing at all during the day. 4-5 merit dots are pretty cheap compared to "You can't do anything during the day" if the player doesn't want to go with Ordo Dracul.

True. Also, if you are Invictus, retainer points cost 1/2 and retainers are really useful.

dead vampires and ones that don't do anything other than hide don't affect anyone else, and therefore are not seen often.

Vampires have a lot of time on thier hands

I'm not sure things work this way for every vampire. You still need to find 1 point of vitae per night, and it can be time consuming. Using violence every few nights can give you trouble eventually. Seducing someone every few nights is definitely time consuming. Only a few vampires run a decent herd.
I and a friend of mine have a group of 24 homeless people we "found" in the street who are locked in our basement and we use them to feed; to make this work, we both had to spend a lot of XPs to acquire Herd 5, Size 5 and Security 5 for our den, and a retainer 2 who takes care of feeding them and making sure they don't commit suicide. We also have very low humanity; a nice guy wouldn't do this for sure). Our former PCs spent a lot of time each session to hunt.

Skjaldbakka
2011-01-20, 08:06 PM
What ever you do, make it NOT Mage. It is about as easy to figure out as two Displacer Beasts making babies; you'll never know where whatever is. Heed my words, for they are full of wisdom and Sanity saving tips. Well, just one tip, but really, just don't even pick it up.

I wholeheartedly recommened ignoring the above for the most part. Mage is every bit as complex as he says, but there are several mitigating factors:

1. Mage is really, really cool.
2. The complexities of mage are part of what makes it cool.
3. The stuff you have to know in order to play a relatively new mage isn't that complicated, as long as the storyteller knows those things. You don't awaken to total mastery and knowledge of the workings of the awakened universe, after all.
4. My first exposure to nWoD was Mage. I had to be dragged kicking and screaming too, but I liked it enough to play other nWoD games. I had very low opinions at the time of new werewolf and new vampire, but now I enjoy both quite a bit.

Side Note - If you like playing nWoD, you should see if there is a Camarilla chapter in your area.

CN the Logos
2011-01-20, 08:08 PM
Wow, thank you everybody. Lots of good advice here. To clarify what I was asking though, if I do this, my first campaign will probably be a solo game with the GF. I'm asking about other supernaturals because my basic campaign idea requires some cool antagonists/other NPCs to work, and I don't want her first experience with RPGs to involve her getting hopelessly overshadowed by said NPCs. I may also want to be a player in a small group/solo game here first, just to get a feel for the system.

Let's see...

Starting out, just the core World of Darkness book (it's blue and called "World of Darkness") and the core ("Vampire: the Requiem") book. If you like it, you can pick up the other splat books.

[...]

Mages tend to be more powerful than the others, simply because of the way their powers work. (They can cast any spell that they have the skill levels for, not just ones they have specifically learned. Just their dice pools for non-learned spells are lower. In theory, they could cast any spell if they had enough XP and spread their points enough.) Vampires and Werewolves stack up pretty well against each other. Hunters depend on how well you equip them, since they are pretty much just mortals with fancy weapons. (Some Hunter groups have special powers, but not all.) I would not recommend Prometheans, since they tend to do nasty things to the environment around them. (You could run a campaign where the group is trying to stop a Promethean, but as NPCs, they aren't the greatest.) I've never played Geist, so I can't say much about it.

Ah, Batman wizard rears his cowled head again. How bad is it compared to D&D? Are we talking "slightly more effective, but can still benefit from the support of a team," or "everyone else might as well stay home?"

That's about what I figured re: Prometheans, might be a great tragic one shot villain, but probably not so good as a regular NPC.

Not usually. Vampires can't be out during the day, so if your group is mixed Vamp/non-Vamp, the vamp players will have to sit around during any daytime events. Mages, as I said, are powerful and can do more stuff, which can discourage non-Mage players.

As a mythology purist, I'm really annoyed by the whole "vampires explode in sunlight" thing. It was cool in Nosferatu, I'll admit. It does not predate that movie. I may see about reworking that particular weakness for my games if I can do it without wrecking balance (e.g., in the novel, Dracula could sunbathe all he wanted, but he was essentially reduced to a powerless middle-aged man during the day, and he had to rest sometime. Maybe something along those lines?).

Not sure how you mean sin-eater/werewolf, but a character cannot be both.
Pretty sure he meant like in "buddy cop" movies, simply that one of each is paired up with the other. Not in the same body or anything. :smalltongue:

Exactly.

*cue melodramatic movie trailer guy voice*

In a world of darkness...

She is a werewolf, serious and resolute in her resolve to protect this world from evil spirits and other darker things.

He is a sin-eater, determined to use his second chance at life to live it to the fullest, although the evil spirits and whatnot aren't exactly his idea of a good time either.

They were the best of friends, until she was turned into a feral monstrosity that ripped his throat out in a fit of madness, and he came back from the dead with an insane ghost yelling in his ear and a silver-plated bowie knife in his hand.

Now they both seek to protect the world in their own way, and come to terms with their new identities...

TOGETHER, THEY FIGHT CRIME ELDRITCH HORRORS BEYOND MORTAL KEN!

There's more support for mixed parties in NWoD than there was in OWoD. They certainly aren't precisely balanced, and you can run in a lot of trouble with combinations that hit each others' weaknesses; Autumn Court changelings and Sin-Eaters (Geist characters) using Pyre-Flame can throw a lot of fire around and accidentally make life terrible for vampire characters, vampires and werewolves can go into involuntary rages and shred anyone who can't get away from them.
While what Loki said about inter-supernatural relations is more true for OWoD than for NWoD. In NWoD vampires and werewolves cooperating is totally posible, though they don't tend to like each other; and Hunters can certainly cooperate with supernaturals, though they're unlikely to want to.

A masterful summary, except...

[Sin-eaters] are hard to kill and keep killed, but if you kill them once and they *do* come back they're very vulnerable afterwards. They have some great powers, but they're weak in melee combat and don't have very good social powers. Plus they have a much harder time recovering plasm than most things in WoD have recovering their mana-equivalent. I'd put them solidly in second, after mages.

My knowledge of the games thus far consists mostly of hearsay and fluff I read on tvtropes, hence my even knowing what Geist was. But from the description I read, it didn't seem like they were that badass.* I totally get why mages are awesome, it's the same reason casters are awesome in D&D, but where does the sin-eater awesomeness come in? You do get four extra lives (doesn't number five pretty much turn you into an insane NPC?) but other than that, where does their badassery come from?

*Although I should have figured otherwise, given their inspiration. The Crow was pretty awesome.

One Tin Soldier
2011-01-21, 12:02 AM
I'm part of a semi-LARP group that plays a number of nWoD games: Vampire, Hunter, Werewolf, and Changeling. My favorite by far is Hunter. To give a taste of our games, our party consists of a Pokemon trainer, a robot, and a person being controlled by Satan (disguised as a Mew), along with a couple vanilla humans. We fight Catholic vampires, and drive an armored street racing hearse. I know most of this (probably all of it, actually) isn't really part of the core game, but it rocks far too hard for us to remotely care. :smallbiggrin:

In a more thread-related topic, I've found most of the games pretty easy to get in to, since its mostly roleplaying. My only barrier was the fact that I was joining mid-campaign (or chronicle, or whatever).