PDA

View Full Version : [Eberron] All melee party versus Advanced Dire Shark

Ragitsu
2011-01-20, 06:24 AM
The group is currently in a part of the ocean southwest of Xen'drik, in a boat that has no hope of sailing (at this point. It can be repaired), and is being repeatedly slammed by a GIANT shark with a temper problem. If they don't kill it, or drive it off, there is a very real possibility it will put a hole in the hull.

Are they screwed?

Eldan
2011-01-20, 06:26 AM
Well, what level are they? I mean, if they are strong enough, they could jump in after it and try to kill it in the water.

FelixG
2011-01-20, 06:27 AM
Depends on the weapons they have, what level they are, and how well they can swim :smallbiggrin:

Edit: One idea is you could introduce a conundrum, let them know that the shark is likely hungry, and can smell blood in the water. Give them the option to toss a few crew members overboard to get the shark to leave them alone.

DeltaEmil
2011-01-20, 06:34 AM
Do you have dwarf bread?

Ragitsu
2011-01-20, 06:35 AM
Everyone's Level 9.

Human Lion Totem Barbarian (Unearthed Arcana).
Human Fighter/somethingorother (ugh, wish I re-read the sheet)
Dwarven Fighter/Barbarian.
Elf Ranger (Bow route).

---

Actually, there's no one else on board!

---

Do you have dwarf bread?

What is dwarf bread?

FelixG
2011-01-20, 06:39 AM
I want to say they are pretty well dead... If they fall in the water it will just gobble them up. The sacrifice could still work if one of the PCs wants to jump to his death to save the others?

DeltaEmil
2011-01-20, 06:40 AM
Dwarf bread is rock-hard (and indeed contains various rocks such as gravel), never goes stale, and is terribly sustaining. A traveller can go for miles, just knowing there's dwarf bread in their pack. A traveller can think of just about anything to eat rather than dwarf bread. Including their own foot. And even pumpkins. Various forms of dwarf bread can be used as weapons, e.g. battle muffins and drop scones.
No shark, no matter how dire and advanced will stand before a crew that has only dwarf bread to it...

rakkoon
2011-01-20, 06:46 AM
Please add the name of the author if your using his material :smallsmile:

Can they throw stuff at the shark (pots, pans), make a harpoon?
Do they have millions of arrows to shoot?
Do they have a deity that can intervene?
They can also be saved by pirates and be enslaved, can be saved by Aquatic Lords and get a new quest?

Coidzor
2011-01-20, 06:52 AM
Use the hint function. That will reveal whether you have a chance or if your DM has set your fate in stone so you can end the farce if that's what it is.

Ragitsu
2011-01-20, 06:54 AM
Please add the name of the author if your using his material :smallsmile:

Can they throw stuff at the shark (pots, pans), make a harpoon?
Do they have millions of arrows to shoot?
Do they have a deity that can intervene?
They can also be saved by pirates and be enslaved, can be saved by Aquatic Lords and get a new quest?

This is a (supposedly) original campaign adventure.

There are some things on board, yes. I'll have to get an exact detailing later today. Off the top of my head? Rope, closed crates in the hold, spare clothing, navigational gear...

The elf doesn't have millions, but definitely under a hundred.

The Fighter/somethingorother believes in one of the more martial deities. Another thing for me to get more info on.

Use the hint function. That will reveal whether you have a chance or if your DM has set your fate in stone so you can end the farce if that's what it is.

Hint function?

Coidzor
2011-01-20, 06:57 AM
Hint function?

Hint function. Little box, click on it, gives you a hint (sometimes enough to tell you to reset so you don't have to spend 15 minutes watching the 5 minute death movie and 10 minute intro). Occasionally calls upon higher powers.

Here though, it's more of a metaphor, I'll admit...

I mean, an obstacle that you can't hack to death because it'll instagib you or shoot to death because its immune to ranged attacks due to terrain and that you have no means of engaging, fleeing, or driving off...

FelixG
2011-01-20, 06:58 AM
Hint function. Little box, click on it, gives you a hint (sometimes enough to tell you to reset so you don't have to spend 15 minutes watching the 5 minute death movie and 10 minute intro). Occasionally calls upon higher powers.

Here though, it's more of a metaphor, I'll admit...

I think he is the GM, so he may not have a hunt button available :P

Coidzor
2011-01-20, 07:00 AM
I think he is the GM, so he may not have a hunt button available :P

That doesn't really make sense though.

rakkoon
2011-01-20, 07:07 AM
closed crates in the hold
Excuse me, did you just say

closed crates

Jackpot! Crates filled with
alchemical fire, harpoons, a mysterious alter to an unknown deity, a sea-shell that can be used as a horn to call the aid of the waterthingies and some bloody meat to use as a decoy?

I love closed crates!

Coidzor
2011-01-20, 07:54 AM
I love closed crates!

Oh, I didn't notice those. Time to get it on like Donkey Kong if nothing else.