PDA

View Full Version : [DC Adventures] Making a TF2 Engineer/Shoveler expy

Ravens_cry
2011-01-20, 02:58 PM
"I Fix Things."

Well, I have a friend who is running a DC Adventures game, but I have never made a character with this system, and have never played a non-level based system before, so, um help?
We are to be power Level 5, 75 power points, so we are the "Mystery Men" Wait, scratch that, we are the guys who came to the Mystery Mens recruitment barbecue.
The basic concept is an engineer who came across a gauntlet while doing some construction work. It gave him the power to Fix Things. He doesn't know how, and being of a scientific mind he is keen to find out. Oh, and being a brawny as well as brainy type, he can slug evil doers upside the head in a pinch. Having a big chunck of metal at the end of your arm has it's advantages.
I am going for the Genius Bruiser/Gadgeteer Genius archetypes.
And, like I said, this is my first time playing this system. H'eccles Cakes, even this KIND of system. So tips and hints for a newbie would also be appreciated.
Heromachine composition to get the creative juices flowing.
http://img89.imageshack.us/img89/3126/thefixer.gif

Beleriphon
2011-01-20, 03:58 PM
Very, very important notes for DCA and MnM3E as a whole: its's point based and you get only what you pay for. the other point, effects (the base parts of super powers) are fluff free. Damage is damage, what it is and what it looks like is up to you. This is where descriptors work wonders.

I'm going to point out right now that 75 points isn't a whole lot to work with, but it's enough to get a super focused concept. There is the key, you have a strong concept and you need to focus your points on it to begin with. What's more limiting is the low PL. To get a high attack bonus (over +5) then you need to drop the effect resistence DC pretty low. Damage is okay for this, but other effects you could be looking at DC 11 or 12, which can be okay since most of the bad guys should only have on average a +5 bonus to their resistances.

(check out HeroLab, it's got a free demo for Mutants & Masterminds 3rd Edition, which is the same as DCA without the DC stuff/art, you may find it useful to help do the number crunching)

Here's an example of how I might handle a character like that.

The Fixer - PL 5
Strength 3, Stamina 3, Agility 2, Dexterity 0, Fighting 2, Intellect 4, Awareness 1, Presence 0
Advantages
Equipment 4, Power Attack, Skill Mastery (Expertise (Engineering)), Ultimate Effort (Engineering checks), Weapon Break
Skills
Close Combat (The Gauntlet) 3 (+5), Expertise (Engineering) 4 (+8), Insight 6 (+7), Perception 4 (+5), Ranged Combat (The Gauntlet) 5 (+5), Technology 4 (+8)
Powers
The Gauntlet (Removable)
. . Can it be Fixed?: Senses 5 (Analytical (Type): Vision, Microscopic Vision 3 (molecule-size))
. . Junk Wrap: Affliction 5 (technological, 1st degree: Hindered, 2nd degree: Immobile, 3rd degree: Paralyzed, Resisted by: Fortitude, DC 15; Increased Range (ranged))
. . . . Fixing Things: Transform 5 (Alternate; Affects: 1 Thing > 1 Thing - Broken Object to Fixed Object, Transforms: 25 lbs., DC 15)
. . . . It's Really Heavy!: Strength-based Damage 1 (Alternate; bludgeoning, DC 19)
. . . . Welding and Fixing: Create 5 (Alternate; technological, Volume: 30 cft., DC 15; Limited (to available broken materials))

Equipment
Chain-mail (Combat Coveralls!), Engineering Gear (An array of equipment: Dynamite, Multi-tool, Night Vision Goggles)
Offense
Initiative +2
Dynamite (DC Dog 15)
Fixing Things: Transform 5, +5 (DC Dog 15)
Grab, +2 (DC Spec 13)
It's Really Heavy!: Strength-based Damage 1, +5 (DC 19)
Junk Wrap: Affliction 5, +5 (DC Fort 15)
Throw, +0 (DC 18)
Unarmed, +2 (DC 18)
Complications
Reputation: The Fixer has a reputation for flying off the handle and being overly aggressive.
Secret Identity: Bob
Languages
English
Defense
Dodge 4, Parry 4, Fortitude 7, Toughness 6, Will 3
Power Points
Abilities 30 + Powers 14 + Advantages 8 + Skills 13 (26 ranks) + Defenses 10 = 75

Created With Hero LabŪ - try it for free at http://www.wolflair.com!

There are few things here that you might like the Gauntlet should probably be a suite of Removable powers. Easiest way to handle that is like GL's ring. The effects are just lumped together under one entry, add up their points and drop one power for every five spent, but if you lose the Gauntlet (it can be removed if you're incapacitated) then all the powers are kaput until the Gauntlet is recovered. If you have some more ideas about powers and what you'd like them to do we can give more specific advice. You probably want to check www.atomicthinktank.com, the official home of DC Adventures.

Ravens_cry
2011-01-20, 04:51 PM
Woah thanks.
I am more of a fluff, role play kind of person, so these number crunchy games just give me major headaches.
I know d20, so I should be able to play fine once I get the hang of it, but character creation makes my brain hurt.
But thank you, I will try to check that out.

Beleriphon
2011-01-20, 04:58 PM
Woah thanks.
I am more of a fluff, role play kind of person, so these number crunchy games just give me major headaches.
I know d20, so I should be able to play fine once I get the hang of it, but character creation makes my brain hurt.
But thank you, I will try to check that out.

Trust me, the hardest part is just figuring out where all the pieces fit. It's like putting a puzzle together, you know what it looks like on the box but dump it on the table and it takes a while to put together.

My biggest suggestions, check the Atomic Thinktank Roll Call section. It's fully of characters posted by the forum members. BARON and Taliesen are particularly prolific (and my personal favourites) but there are tons of other. All of them are happy to answer questions regarding why they did something, and explain the mechanics of the character if it isn't obvious.

Another good thing to do, just know how combat works, specifically what your own character can do in combat. The Affliction effect is incredibly useful for modelling dozens of powers, just make sure that you know what each level of it actually does.

Also, try taking an existing charater, say Spider-Man and try making him yourself. He's a good one to start with since his powers tend to be fairly straight forward.

Ravens_cry
2011-01-20, 06:36 PM
I've never been good at Jigsaw Puzzles.
I can mostly see how this character works, but what does Junk Wrap do?
And what does "DC Dog" mean?

Beleriphon
2011-01-21, 01:43 AM
I've never been good at Jigsaw Puzzles.
I can mostly see how this character works, but what does Junk Wrap do?
And what does "DC Dog" mean?

The puzzle is really just deciding what you want your character to have, it seems overwhelming at first but you get the hang of it with a bit of practice. It's a terrific system for building most characters.

Juck Wrap is the afflication piower, basically it attaches those Afflication conditions onto the affected character. My basic concept was tying a badguy up in available loose broken material.

Dog is Dodge, basically you use Dodge as a resistance (read Save) against the effect. It's an artifact of HeroLab, unlisted DCs are usually Toughness as well.

As further example the good Doctor:

Dr. McNinja - PL 10

Strength 2, Stamina 3, Agility 6, Dexterity 8, Fighting 8, Intellect 5, Awareness 5, Presence 3

Advantages
Benefit 3 (Understanding with the Cumberland PD), Close Attack 4, Defensive Roll 4, Equipment 5, Hide in Plain Sight, Improved Critical (Sword), Move-by Action, Power Attack, Quick Draw, Takedown, Throwing Mastery 2

Skills
Acrobatics 7 (+13), Athletics 6 (+8), Close Combat (Swords) 2 (+10), Perception 5 (+10), Ranged Combat (Shuriken) 9 (+17), Stealth 12 (+18), Treatment 8 (+13)

Equipment
Dr. McNinja's Honda Accord, Dr. McNinja's Office, Shuriken, Sword

Offense
Initiative +6
Grab, +12 (DC Spec 12)
Shuriken, +17 (DC 18)
Sword, +14 (DC 20)
Throw, +8 (DC 17)
Unarmed, +12 (DC 17)

Complications
Enemy: Dr. McNinja's archenemy is Frans Rayner.
Motivation: Acceptance: Dr. McNinja seeks the acceptance of his family who disapprove of his being a doctor.
Quirk: Dr. McNinja needs to balance his responsibility to kill as a ninja with his responsibility to heal as a doctor.

Languages
English

Defense
Dodge 13, Parry 13, Fortitude 13, Toughness 7/3, Will 7

Power Points
Abilities 80 + Powers 0 + Advantages 24 + Skills 25 (49 ranks) + Defenses 24 = 153

Created With Hero LabŪ - try it for free at http://www.wolflair.com!