PDA

View Full Version : Hideous Blow made Cheesy.

Stallion
2011-01-20, 03:52 PM
Now, I know what you're thinking. Hideous blow is crap, and this guy's a fool.

So, I present to you a thrower-lock.

With a 6 warlock 1 warblade 3 bloodstorm blade 3 hellfire warlock 3 uncanny trickster 3 throwing master, you can use thunderous throw to have your ranged attacks be used as melee attacks, palm throw/double toss/manyshot to throw 6 daggers, and apply his 13d6 hideous blow to them. True, each one needs its own attack roll, but the fact that they all are being thrown at once should make it viable, RAI-wise. With all of this, you'd also gain a single greater invocation, such as vitiolic blast or repelling blast. I'd say having to make 6 reflex saves against being knocked on your ass or taking additional acid damage each round makes it pretty shiny. Not to mention beshadowed blast or several other essences that could make your target that much more miserable. Either way, the 72d6+6d4+str damage makes this a winner in my book. Even more so when you throw in steel wind, although that may not keep the blast for the second target.

So, playgrounders, what do you think? Is this even viable?

RagnaroksChosen
2011-01-20, 03:56 PM
isn't hideous blow a full round action?

Scarlet-Devil
2011-01-20, 03:57 PM
Well, afore anyone else can come in and tear this apart I'd like to point out that palm throw removes the strength bonus from damage :smalltongue:.

Edit:
isn't hideous blow a full round action?

It is a standard.

Hyfigh
2011-01-20, 04:19 PM
I would initially try to argue that precision damage can't be added to the individual attacks, but this isn't precision damage...

Does it meet the pre-req of being a melee attack? Yes. It could be argued that the wording in Bloodstorm says "treats as a melee attack", I suppose.

I'm AFB so I can't disect any more until I have book access tonight. I'm definitely going to do the research, though. This seems neat to me.

I think I'd end up allowing something like this, though. Reminds me a little of Gambit from the Marvel Universe, or Twisted Fate from League of Legends (Gambits bastard cousin).

Radar
2011-01-20, 04:25 PM
It is a standard.
That as far as I know is not an attack per the definition. It's an invocation, so it can't be used in a full attack action or with anything that has to do with regular attacks. That's the very reason Eldrich Glaive is much better - you can at least do iterative attacks with it.

Beheld
2011-01-20, 04:27 PM
Problem. You can only only throw one of those six daggers.

To quote Hideous Blow:

"As a standard action, you may make a single melee attack." If you have to make a second attack roll, you can't make that attack this round, and it doesn't get hideous blow.

Stallion
2011-01-20, 04:29 PM
Problem. You can only only throw one of those six daggers.

To quote Hideous Blow:

"As a standard action, you may make a single melee attack." If you have to make a second attack roll, you can't make that attack this round, and it doesn't get hideous blow.

Which is why I said with RAI it would make more sense with it being a single throw.

Bang!
2011-01-20, 04:31 PM
It doesn't work by RAW, but it doesn't look much sillier than a Rogue, so it's probably playable in most games from a power perspective.

Stallion
That as far as I know is not an attack per the definition. It's an invocation, so it can't be used in a full attack action or with anything that has to do with regular attacks. That's the very reason Eldrich Glaive is much better - you can at least do iterative attacks with it.

Actually, it does say you make the attack.

Douglas
Sorry, but the things you are trying to combine here are not compatible due to competing action costs. You can only combine things like that if they are phrased as modifiers to your normal attacks rather than special attacks of their own, and Hideous Blow, Manyshot, and Doubletoss are each their own special attacks. Each one requires spending a standard action specifically on it to use. To use all three you would have to spend 3 standard actions, and even then the result would be one Hideous Blow, one Manyshot, and one Doubletoss, not a combo attack.

Urpriest
2011-01-20, 04:32 PM
Manyshot and Double Toss both require a standard action and therefore quite obviously won't work with Hideous Blow. Palm Throw is more ambiguous, I could see it working depending on the wording of Bloodstorm Blade.

Stallion
2011-01-20, 04:36 PM
Ahhh. Well, that makes sense. Thanks for your input.