PDA

View Full Version : [MtG] - Mirrodin Besieged Question

monkeysammich
2011-01-20, 04:21 PM
Good afternoon...

So I am trying to get back into Magic after a long hiatus (my wife told me to stop spending money... :P )...

I'm looking at going to the prerelease for Mirrodin Besieged and I'm seeing a lot of things talking about picking a faction... Mirran or Phyrexian. Any idea what the primary difference between these packs will be? From what I can tell... Phyrexia will be mostly infect/poison based... and Mirran has Battlecry?

:smalleek:

Freylorn
2011-01-21, 01:46 AM
That's primarily for if you're playing Block format (eg: just the new Mirrodin stuff) but yeah - it's a more theme-based set.

It's sort of hard to look at a single mechanic as Mirran or Phyrexian though - it's true that Infect was largely Phyrexian, but now there are some white and blue infect creatures, so that kind of goes out the window.

Astrella
2011-01-21, 01:48 AM
That's primarily for if you're playing Block format (eg: just the new Mirrodin stuff) but yeah - it's a more theme-based set.

It's sort of hard to look at a single mechanic as Mirran or Phyrexian though - it's true that Infect was largely Phyrexian, but now there are some white and blue infect creatures, so that kind of goes out the window.

Those are still Phyrexian. You have to look at the watermarks, not the card colours.

@Op: Just browse the spoilers for the new sets if you want to know what both factions entail more card-specifically.

Avaris
2011-01-21, 08:18 AM
Good afternoon...

So I am trying to get back into Magic after a long hiatus (my wife told me to stop spending money... :P )...

I'm looking at going to the prerelease for Mirrodin Besieged and I'm seeing a lot of things talking about picking a faction... Mirran or Phyrexian. Any idea what the primary difference between these packs will be? From what I can tell... Phyrexia will be mostly infect/poison based... and Mirran has Battlecry?

:smalleek:

Mirran mechanics are Metalcraft, Battlecry and Imprint. Phyrexian are Infect, Proliferate and Living Weapon.

Practically speaking, its worth bearing in mind that though Besieged is a 50/50 split, Scars is predominantly Mirran, so a Mirran player will likely have more cards avaliable that fit with their themes, while conversely a phyrexian players will have more 'useless' cards; little point in using any metalcraft cards for example, as they will be harder to support.