PDA

View Full Version : Campaign Planning

Aetholus
2011-01-20, 05:53 PM
So we've done various adventures up to this point. Its a small group with a Paladin, Wizard, Ranger and Rogue. They're currently level 12. Forgotten Realms Campaign setting 3.5/PF. I want to use a Mystic Theurge Wizard/Cleric Vampire Lord they have met on several occasions as a re-occurring villain. Basically the villain has a SLA of Ice Assassin, he has been using to send out "Simulacrum" of himself to acquire more Power/Wealth/Favor. I want to keep to this flavor. Basically The Villain created a Ice Assassin 'Artifact' (Trap) that he has been using to create an army of powerful creatures under his Absolute control.

They have really only been killing his various lower-level Ice Assassins he had been sending out to carry out his plans. They've just discovered this fact and he has made copies of several different powerful creatures from Genie to Angels/Devils, including his Vampire "Lieutenants" He uses to carry out the majority of his undead campaign against the living. They create even more Vampires etc etc.

So the Mystic Theurge is really a 29CR. They won't fight him till much much later. But I was wondering if anyone had any ideas how to make a campaign like this more fun? Considering there are really fighting tons of copies that are created cheaply, some of which are VERY powerful.

profitofrage
2011-01-20, 08:59 PM
So the Mystic Theurge is really a 29CR. They won't fight him till much much later. But I was wondering if anyone had any ideas how to make a campaign like this more fun? Considering there are really fighting tons of copies that are created cheaply, some of which are VERY powerful.

Well if your just looking to mix things up, you could have one of the luitenants try a different approach.
Say The PC's come across a rather well fortified city/town. One run by paladins or likewise people who would normally have no problems kicking undead but.
Have the vampire instead be influencing stuff behind the scenes as a politition or having gotten to the king or leader. Slowly making decisions and effecting the town in ways that cause slight uphieval (how the PC's might get drawn into the conflict) but overall is just weakening the town for a massed invasion.
Theres plenty of room, the PC's could end up fighting Paladins or city guard of varying sorts :P or at the very least at the end of it they could have the fun of fighting off wave after wave of the things with plenty of backup.

Aetholus
2011-01-20, 09:41 PM
Thanks! I will definitely use something like that. Vampires with Dominate and all it shouldn't be to hard. Make it a Sorcerer Vampire, High Cha, and we got a boss battle. -Cue Music-

Also the Rogue has a similar SLA to the Main villain. Improved Simulacrum. Can't remember where I found it exactly. But its a 80% copy that can level up to 4 times. Also has all of the memories etc. While this is, potentially, just as good as the Theurge's SLA. it is limited by his HD, meaning he can't copy creatures if they have more HD than him, Also they only last 2Hrs/HD. Also he doesn't need the materials/xp minus the need of part of the creature to be copied. It's a standard action. He expressed interest if later He could upgrade his ability to either that of the Theurge's and/or make the Simulacrum permanent as they normally are, via a wish or some other way. How should I incorporate this?

Also one of the characters is secretly undead. He's not evil or under any direct control, but he would have to be extra-careful in a, possible, conflict with Paladins/Clerics who mistake him for evil etc etc.

profitofrage
2011-01-20, 10:50 PM
Also one of the characters is secretly undead. He's not evil or under any direct control, but he would have to be extra-careful in a, possible, conflict with Paladins/Clerics who mistake him for evil etc etc.

I dont actually know D&D systems...like at all :smalleek: i play DH. so im afraid i cant help so much with the other stuff.
Story wise the undead player could be a great reason for the vampire to throw paladins at the players. If the vampire happens to know of the undead character it wouldnt take much at all to convince the paladins the other members where somehow in on it no matter how many times there "detect evil" comes up "good". Thats of course if your going for a more action orientated campaign.

Aetholus
2011-01-21, 01:08 PM
Actually that's how I planned on having it played out. The Undead character has an item making them immune to detect alignment spells too, So that will make it flow even better. Thanks again.

Any other ideas would be cool.