PDA

View Full Version : Vampire Trees

Winged One
2011-01-20, 09:52 PM
Run, Durkon! They have too many hit dice! (http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/discoblog/2010/12/08/a-creepy-monster-of-the-forest-the-albino-vampiric-redwood-tree/)
:smallbiggrin:

Nosferocktu
2011-01-20, 10:06 PM
Wow... umm. I bet there is a b movie all about them. "Vampire Redwood Trees!!... FROM SPAAAACE!"

Kneenibble
2011-01-21, 02:02 AM
Vampire trees were the sole feature of the eighth level of hell, weren't they?

Or something.

It would please me to make syrup from such a tree, and drink it for powers.

Danne
2011-01-21, 07:01 PM
Meh, parasitic plants are old news. Haven't you ever heard of ghost plant (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monotropa_uniflora)?

Albeit, I've never heard of a tree that does that. Pretty cool. :smallsmile:

The Vorpal Tribble
2011-01-21, 07:34 PM
I am literally working on a cold rainforest/redwood area of my campaign setting filled with creature of faerie... gotta work this into it.

Especially because the rulers of it appear as giant, furless, albino hares (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=131922).

CoffeeIncluded
2011-01-22, 09:17 AM
Wow. And here I thought only animals could be albino. That is freaky and awesome.

AsteriskAmp
2011-01-22, 09:41 AM
How does a tree, or for that matter, anything becomes albino, is that mutation so old as to transcend kingdoms(yes, I refuse to use the new system).

Ranger Mattos
2011-01-22, 10:11 AM
Awesome. Ideas for my campaign are flowing through my mind...

Orzel
2011-01-22, 04:26 PM
Imagine how delicious the juice of a vampiric orange tree would be!!

Mwahahaha!

The problem is? Would you drink it in the morning or at night?

Eldan
2011-01-22, 04:28 PM
How does a tree, or for that matter, anything becomes albino, is that mutation so old as to transcend kingdoms(yes, I refuse to use the new system).

It's more likely several mutations, I'd think it's unlikely that those pigments are produced the same way as animal pigments.

Asta Kask
2011-01-22, 04:28 PM

No. This albinism is apparently because they can't synthesize chlorophyll. In animals it is because they can't synthesize melanin.

AsteriskAmp
2011-01-22, 04:36 PM
Awesome. Ideas for my campaign are flowing through my mind...

Like endless fiat into a paper cup,
They slither while they pass they slip away across your hombrewverse.

It's more likely several mutations, I'd think it's unlikely that those pigments are produced the same way as animal pigments.

Albinism is the lack of pigment generation, as I've found out, it's in fact like you said, a number of mutations that are all grouped into albinism, though I haven't been able to track anything big on plants, this is how it works for humans and animals.

KerfuffleMach2
2011-01-22, 04:37 PM
Huh. Undead trees.

The last part of that article is what interests me the most. About how when it gets dry, the main tree will cut off the food supply, essentially killing the young tree. But when the rain is good again, the young tree suddenly comes back to life.

Traab
2011-01-22, 09:33 PM
Huh. Undead trees.

The last part of that article is what interests me the most. About how when it gets dry, the main tree will cut off the food supply, essentially killing the young tree. But when the rain is good again, the young tree suddenly comes back to life.

Which makes you wonder why they are ever able to feed off the healthy trees if they can be cut off in times of hardship. Is it just that there is a limit to how far into the healthy tree they can grow? So when times get dry, and only the inner core of the tree really has the water, the vampire cant reach it anymore?

Innis Cabal
2011-01-22, 09:35 PM

Mwahahaha!

Would you call that a Blood Orange?

Deth Muncher
2011-01-24, 12:37 AM
Like endless fiat into a paper cup,
They slither while they pass they slip away across your hombrewverse.

Beatleswin.

KerfuffleMach2
2011-01-24, 05:49 PM
Which makes you wonder why they are ever able to feed off the healthy trees if they can be cut off in times of hardship. Is it just that there is a limit to how far into the healthy tree they can grow? So when times get dry, and only the inner core of the tree really has the water, the vampire cant reach it anymore?

Well...if a human is starting to starve to death, their body, after it takes all it can from any unnecessary fat and muscle, will start to shut down organs in order of least importance. If they suddenly get food, the organs can be restarted.

Probably the same basic principal.

Telonius
2011-01-25, 11:21 AM
Vampire trees were the sole feature of the eighth level of hell, weren't they?

No idea about that, but maybe the Balkans had some truth to their stories about vampire pumpkins (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vampire_pumpkins_and_watermelons).

The Succubus
2011-01-25, 01:26 PM

Mwahahaha!

No way on Earth would I eat one of those - my SO would find a drained husk on the floor with large, red-juiced orange next to my corpse...

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2011-01-25, 03:50 PM
No idea about that, but maybe the Balkans had some truth to their stories about vampire pumpkins (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vampire_pumpkins_and_watermelons).

That must be the most surreal line ever in Wikipedia. "People have little fear of the vampire pumpkins and melons because of the creatures' lack of teeth."

Icewalker
2011-01-26, 02:30 PM
Huh. Very cool. Albinism has some really interesting stuff to it, albeit the specific definition of "albino" being poorly defined (especially in humans). Pretty fascinating plants these. Not at all genetically viable, seeing as they only live by continuing their parasitic connection to their parent, but very cool nonetheless.

Dr.Epic
2011-01-26, 03:57 PM
Wow... umm. I bet there is a b movie all about them. "Vampire Redwood Trees!!... FROM SPAAAACE!"

Are they a Mean Green Mother from Outer Space?

Rockphed
2011-01-27, 02:49 AM
Not at all genetically viable, seeing as they only live by continuing their parasitic connection to their parent, but very cool nonetheless.

So they are college graduates who can't find a job?:smallamused:

Eldan
2011-01-27, 04:25 AM
"Moooom, I'm my own tree now!"
"Oh? So why don't you get your own Chlorophyll going, eh? As long as you got your roots under my stem, you do what I say, sapling."

grimbold
2011-01-29, 02:12 AM
that is pretty cool
and scary