PDA

View Full Version : [3.X] Divine Power

Saint GoH
2011-01-20, 10:14 PM
Is there a way to get it as a third level spell slot? Either using extreme cheese or granted Domain powers?

Basically I am starting a game at 6th level and I'd like for my cloistered cleric to have full BAB :smallbiggrin:

Dusk Eclipse
2011-01-20, 10:15 PM
Sanctum spell sheneanigans? really I don't know....

Saint GoH
2011-01-20, 10:17 PM
Miserable cussin cuss for cuss.

Hrmmm.... I suppose Sanctum Spell would work, but the issue I would have is we are likely to leave my Sanctum at some point, so I'd have it Divine Power persisted for the first day, but not any other day after that.

sonofzeal
2011-01-20, 10:18 PM
Miserable cussin cuss for cuss.

Hrmmm.... I suppose Sanctum Spell would work, but the issue I would have is we are likely to leave my Sanctum at some point, so I'd have it Divine Power persisted for the first day, but not any other day after that.
...you're DMM:Persisting spells, and complaining about not being powerful enough?

Duncan_Ruadrik
2011-01-20, 10:19 PM
No idea. but Im in Eugene! whoo for coldish weather.

Sorry I can't help. :smallbiggrin:

Saint GoH
2011-01-20, 10:25 PM
No idea. but Im in Eugene! whoo for coldish weather.

Sorry I can't help. :smallbiggrin:

Yeah, it ain't much warmer in portlandia.

...you're DMM:Persisting spells, and complaining about not being powerful enough?

Yes, because poor base attack bonus makes me a sad panda. Plus my complaint was Sanctum Spell wouldn't be viable because it wasn't a proven method for maintaining Divine Power.

sonofzeal
2011-01-20, 10:32 PM
Yes, because poor base attack bonus makes me a sad panda. Plus my complaint was Sanctum Spell wouldn't be viable because it wasn't a proven method for maintaining Divine Power.
Dude, if you're DMM:Persisting, you'll be off the power scale in most non-TO games anyway. You're only noticably behind for two levels, and even there you can just get Bull's Strength and Divine Favour up and you'll have a better to-hit than Fighter.

Saint GoH
2011-01-20, 10:38 PM
Dude, if you're DMM:Persisting, you'll be off the power scale in most non-TO games anyway. You're only noticably behind for two levels, and even there you can just get Bull's Strength and Divine Favour up and you'll have a better to-hit than Fighter.

Eh, not so much. The group I run with typically does roughly 50-60 damage per person a round (as melee'rs) at lvl 6, so a DMM: Persisted Cleric is not all that powerful. Interesting, but not terribly broken.

And yes, I'd only be behind for 1 level, but that'd be at least 2 sessions of me not pulling my weight.

dextercorvia
2011-01-20, 10:44 PM
It'll cost you two 3rd level spells and a feat.

Clerics qualify for Versatile Spellcaster (RotD) by virtue of their spontaneous healing/inflicting/(domain if you take the ACF), and they know every spell on their list (at least as soon as they can cast it).

Saint GoH
2011-01-20, 10:50 PM
It'll cost you two 3rd level spells and a feat.

Clerics qualify for Versatile Spellcaster (RotD) by virtue of their spontaneous healing/inflicting/(domain if you take the ACF), and they know every spell on their list (at least as soon as they can cast it).

As far as I read that, I would still need to be able to cast 4th level spells. Instead of using a 4th lvl spell slot I could burn 2 3rd level slots. Its helpful, but the reading is iffy that I could use it pre-7th level.

dextercorvia
2011-01-20, 11:01 PM
A cleric may prepare and cast any spell on the cleric spell list, provided that he can cast spells of that level, but he must choose which spells to prepare during his daily meditation.

Verstatile Spellcaster obviates the preparation. A cleric can cast any spell on his list that is of a level he can cast. Versatile Spellcaster lets him burn two 3rd level slots to cast a 4th level spell, ergo, having at least two 3rd level spell slots allows him to cast 4th level spells.

The worst case scenario (this comes up for Beguilers, etc.) is you might need heighten to "trigger" the 4th level spell thing, but honestly, that's bunk.

sonofzeal
2011-01-20, 11:13 PM
And yes, I'd only be behind for 1 level, but that'd be at least 2 sessions of me not pulling my weight.
You're a cleric. You'll be pulling your weight.

Persist Mass Lesser Vigor on the group, and then persist your Bull's Strength on one of the other melee threats. If you have the Strength or Transformation domains, give them Enlarge too. Basically, play as a buffer for those few sessions. You'll still be pulling your weight, even more so if your ally has as many force-multipliers as you're implying, and your friends will be happy. Everyone wins, and in two sessions you can go back to Czillaing.

dextercorvia
2011-01-20, 11:16 PM
Enlarge and Bull's Strength are touch range spells -- not candidates for Persist w/o another +2 level Metamagic.

sonofzeal
2011-01-20, 11:28 PM
Enlarge and Bull's Strength are touch range spells -- not candidates for Persist w/o another +2 level Metamagic.
Enlarge is often worth it, even with the metamagic (if he has it). Bull's Strength, yeah, point.

Mass Lesser Vigor alone is pretty sweet to persist though.

Keld Denar
2011-01-20, 11:34 PM
What about Divine Favor? That should give you a +2 to hit and damage, right?

Also, Eugene <3 Its home of my favorite beer, Ninkasi's Total Domination IPA. Delicious!

absolmorph
2011-01-20, 11:38 PM
Enlarge is often worth it, even with the metamagic (if he has it). Bull's Strength, yeah, point.

Mass Lesser Vigor alone is pretty sweet to persist though.
Yeah, persisting Mass Lesser Vigor is pretty awesome. That's 14,400 points of possible healing. Per person.

dextercorvia
2011-01-21, 02:04 AM
Yeah, persisting Mass Lesser Vigor is pretty awesome. That's 14,400 points of possible healing. Per person.

Agreed.

If you decide that it's too cheesy to get Divine Power at 6th, then I've heard good things about Ice Axe.

Ice Axe, Mass Lesser Vigor, Divine Favor, and Recitation are the big ones at this level. Recitation is nice, because it gives you a mechanical reason to proselytize your fellow adventurers.

Thurbane
2011-01-21, 03:00 AM
Pardon my ignorance, but what's so good about Ice Axe?

Keld Denar
2011-01-21, 03:02 AM
Its a touch attack. So...basically, permanent Wraithstrike, so long as you attack with that weapon.

absolmorph
2011-01-21, 03:09 AM
Pardon my ignorance, but what's so good about Ice Axe?
2d12+1/two caster levels of cold damage, I guess?
It doesn't allow your Strength modifier to help, but it's okay.
Edit: I missed it saying it's a touch attack. Yeah, that'll help a lot.

Thurbane
2011-01-21, 03:49 AM
I get it now...I thought the spell was in Frostburn, but I just looked it up in Spell Compendium. Nice. It says no STR to damage, but how about Power Attack? I assume sneak attack is good to go, as well.

Sorry for the derail. :smallredface:

FMArthur
2011-01-21, 07:48 AM
You could just be non-cloistered and retrain to cloistered at 7th level.

KillianHawkeye
2011-01-21, 08:53 AM

Even if the DM allowed retraining ACFs, that doesn't make a lot of sense.

Blackfang108
2011-01-21, 10:09 AM

That... doesn't make any sense...

What would make more sense is: stay out of melee for a level. As a spellcaster, you can pull your weight without walking up to monsters and smacking them in the face.