PDA

View Full Version : "This is my city, I see and hear all within it." (Magic Item, PEACH)

DaragosKitsune
2011-01-20, 10:55 PM
Well, first time homebrewing, I decided to post an idea for an item I had.

Totem and Amulet of The Ever-Guard:This set of a large metal totem and a runed amulet of a heavy chain requires a city to use. To activate the item, the totem must be placed in the ground of the city in an open area and the amulet must be worn. When the above is fulfilled, the wearer of the amulet gains both Telepathy and Mindsight to the borders of the city. In addition, no effect can obscure any creature from this speech or sight, unless the effected individual succeeds on a DC30 Will save. In such a case, the wearer of the amulet is still aware of the entry of the creature into the city, but is unaware of their position unless it take one minute to actively search the city for it. This item also allows one to listen to the surface thoughts of any creature within the city as detect thoughts. The effects of this item are precise enough that the wearer can teleport to any location within the city as if they were very familiar with it, though the item itself does not grant any transportation abilities. The amulet only functions within the city containing the planted totem. The amulet also fails against creatures immune to Mindsight.
Strong divination;CL13;Craft Wondrous Item, detect thoughts, arcane eye, Rary's telepathic bond, true seeing;Price 300,000gp;Weight 5lb. (totem)

So, questions/advice/concerns/opinions?

DracoDei
2011-01-21, 08:30 AM
You need to clarify that it doesn't actually grant Teleport.

DaragosKitsune
2011-01-21, 03:26 PM
Thanks for that. I wasn't sure if it was needed when I did the original write-up.

Keinnicht
2011-01-21, 03:46 PM
I'd suggest changing the line where you can't hide from this effect in any way to something requiring a CL check. It's a little silly that an epic level wizard couldn't find a way to hide from a magic item with CL 13.

DaragosKitsune
2011-01-21, 03:57 PM
It's not a caster level check, but there is a temporary way to get past it. Also, added that the item fails if the Mindsight wouldn't work.

Silverscale
2011-01-21, 04:34 PM
I shudder to think what this might do to a person if they tried to use it in a city like Ishka. It would take an epic level character just to be able to handle the sheer volume of information this item would be trying to feed the wearer.

Owrtho
2011-01-21, 04:41 PM
Well, in Ishka it may only manage to affect a single district.

Owrtho

DaragosKitsune
2011-01-21, 05:46 PM
Not sure what Ishka is, but I'll leave it up to the DM to decide what constitutes a city. The size is arbitrary, but I don't mean a city the size of Sigil. Also, just because the radio's on, doesn't mean you have to listen. The item is active, but you don't have to talk to everyone or read everyone's thoughts.

Owrtho
2011-01-21, 06:01 PM
This (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=120354) is Ishka. Or you could look at the wiki (http://ishka.wikispaces.com/). It likely would fall under the 'city the size of Sigil' part given it seems to be bigger than Sigil, and spans multiple planes.

Owrtho