PDA

View Full Version : Substitutes for Coconut

The Pressman
2011-01-20, 11:23 PM
What and how much would you substitute for 1/4 of fresh coconut?
It will be used in this recipe. (http://www.theworldwidegourmet.com/recipes/coconut-cakes-senegal/)

rayne_dragon
2011-01-21, 12:01 AM
There's a number of possible subsitutes:

1. Oat
2. Flour
3. Bran
4. Ground nuts
5. dried fruit (chopped)

Personally, I think either nuts or fruit are going to be the best for your recipe as they add more flavour and the way the recipe is describes suggests that it relies on the coconut for flavour. Use 1/4 cup since it is a direct replacement.

weeping eagle
2011-01-21, 12:37 AM
Before clicking I was thinking "quinoa", but after seeing the recipe: I agree, nuts. Specifically, macadamia nuts. 1/4 cup.

The Pressman
2011-01-21, 01:37 AM
The thing is...well, I probably should have worded the title better. It's not necessarily coconut, but fresh coconut. What I was wondering was whether I could substitute, say, dessicated coconut (the kind you would get at most grocery stores or organic bulk sections) for the fresh stuff. Sorry for the confusion.

Kneenibble
2011-01-21, 02:14 AM
Given the amount of egg & fat already in the dough, I believe the recipe intends desiccated coconut in the first place. Anyways in a quarter cup the difference of moisture wouldn't matter so much; if the dough seems too dry with desiccated coconut, just sprinkle some drops of milk. - or other handy fluids you enjoy.

The Pressman
2011-01-21, 02:29 AM
Given the amount of egg & fat already in the dough, I believe the recipe intends desiccated coconut in the first place. Anyways in a quarter cup the difference of moisture wouldn't matter so much; if the dough seems too dry with desiccated coconut, just sprinkle some drops of milk. - or other handy fluids you enjoy.

That sounds good.

For'Ninniach
2011-01-21, 01:23 PM
Hun, if you're trying a coconut cake, you should use coconut.
Otherwise just use ..

Either Mango or Papaya.
I'll ask my mom,
she's a pro.
:smallwink:

Zocelot
2011-01-21, 02:46 PM
I hear a coconut is a reasonable substitute for a horse (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzcLQRXW6B0), so I imagine it would work the other way too. 1/4 of a horse should do it.

Partof1
2011-01-21, 04:47 PM
Cookies for Zocelot!

I'm surprised I didn't think of that myself.

grimbold
2011-01-21, 05:07 PM
Before clicking I was thinking "quinoa", but after seeing the recipe: I agree, nuts. Specifically, macadamia nuts. 1/4 cup.
+1
still coconut is very good

purple gelatinous cube o' Doom
2011-01-21, 07:55 PM
@ OP. Are you trying to replace the fresh coconut with something that is the same texture, or maybe a similar flavor, or any allergy, or is it that you just can't get fresh coconut where you are. Knowing the reason fr the substitution would help immensely.

Rawhide
2011-01-21, 08:03 PM
Hun, if you're trying a coconut cake, you should use coconut.
Otherwise just use ..

Either Mango or Papaya.
I'll ask my mom,
she's a pro.
:smallwink:

+1
still coconut is very good

@ OP. Are you trying to replace the fresh coconut with something that is the same texture, or maybe a similar flavor, or any allergy, or is it that you just can't get fresh coconut where you are. Knowing the reason fr the substitution would help immensely.

Uh, guys, you may want to read this post upthread.

The thing is...well, I probably should have worded the title better. It's not necessarily coconut, but fresh coconut. What I was wondering was whether I could substitute, say, dessicated coconut (the kind you would get at most grocery stores or organic bulk sections) for the fresh stuff. Sorry for the confusion.

It's even had a reply.

That sounds good.

For'Ninniach
2011-01-22, 05:00 PM
So, I asked my mother, for a substitute. And she asked why in the first place why you would want to make a coconut cake and not use coconut...?
But she suggested probably some kind of nut, i.e. Almonds.

But she really wants to know as to why you don't want to use coconuts.

purple gelatinous cube o' Doom
2011-01-22, 05:05 PM
Uh, guys, you may want to read this post upthread.

Yes, I did read the thread. But, the why is rather important. If it's a flavor issue, then coconut extract could be used, if it's a texture thing, then there could be many option. The difference in fresh vs dried (I don't know why everyone says dessicated since that's not a term that is usually associated with food). At any rate rawhide, the reasoning behind things is rather important due to the amount of variables, and thus options that are available depending on the why.

Rawhide
2011-01-22, 08:07 PM
So, I asked my mother, for a substitute. And she asked why in the first place why you would want to make a coconut cake and not use coconut...?
But she suggested probably some kind of nut, i.e. Almonds.

But she really wants to know as to why you don't want to use coconuts.

The Pressman in no way wants to replace the coconut in a coconut cake with something other than coconut, he has said that quite clearly. He wants to know if he can replace fresh coconut with something such as desiccated coconut.

Yes, I did read the thread. But, the why is rather important. If it's a flavor issue, then coconut extract could be used, if it's a texture thing, then there could be many option. The difference in fresh vs dried (I don't know why everyone says dessicated since that's not a term that is usually associated with food). At any rate rawhide, the reasoning behind things is rather important due to the amount of variables, and thus options that are available depending on the why.

The Pressman has explained why. It is not an allergy issue, because he wants to know if he can replace fresh coconut with something such as desiccated coconut. If it was an allergy issue, he would want something other than coconut.

He also states "dessicated coconut (the kind you would get at most grocery stores or organic bulk sections)" implying that he cannot get fresh coconut where he is (or, if he can, it's rare and/or very expensive).

He wants to know if it is a good substitute. He will want to know both texture and flavour. "This will be a good substitute for flavour, but will give you a rather different texture" or "this is a decent substitute for both flavour and texture" would be, I'm sure, quite welcome.

Desiccated (http://i00.i.aliimg.com/photo/v3/106634116/DESICCATED_COCONUT_HIGH_FAT.jpg) coconut (https://e-marketkhas.com/2909-4206-thickbox/kara-desiccated-coconut-200g.jpg) is very common in supermarkets and looks like this (http://www.manufacturer.com/cimages/buyLeads/www.alibaba.com/0108/o/Buying_Coconut_Desiccated_Sri_Lanka_Origin.jpg).

Orzel
2011-01-22, 08:37 PM
NOTHING!

Nothing is a sub for fresh coconut.
That said. You could use non-fresh.

But as a man who used to own coconut trees, nothing is a substitute for fresh. Desiccated is okay tho.

Innis Cabal
2011-01-22, 08:50 PM
Desiccated (http://i00.i.aliimg.com/photo/v3/106634116/DESICCATED_COCONUT_HIGH_FAT.jpg) coconut (https://e-marketkhas.com/2909-4206-thickbox/kara-desiccated-coconut-200g.jpg) is very common in supermarkets and looks like this (http://www.manufacturer.com/cimages/buyLeads/www.alibaba.com/0108/o/Buying_Coconut_Desiccated_Sri_Lanka_Origin.jpg).

It is called Dried coconut in the States, which is where the confusion is stemming from.

Traab
2011-01-22, 09:30 PM
ANYTHING! Bleh, anything would be better than coconut. I worked making almond joys and mounds bars for 6 months, I HATE coconut!

Orzel
2011-01-22, 09:45 PM
Fresh Coconut (water or milk) > Stuff > Fresh Coconut (flesh) > Dirt > Any other form of coconut

YES I've eaten dirt. Dare means Dare!

Katana_Geldar
2011-01-23, 05:20 PM
Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?

For'Ninniach
2011-01-23, 07:40 PM
Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?

Well, an African swallow, MAYBE.