PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for the my healer.

TurtleKing
2011-01-21, 02:15 AM
Hello, in a campaign that is about to start I am playing a Illumian Bard2/Favored Soul4. I am wondering what spells and magic items would work well for my character. My character has the feats Melodic Casting, Augment Healing, and Touch of Healing (reserve). The sigils I have are hoon and uur. My stats are STR 9, DEX 15, CON 12, INT 12, WIS 14, CHA 18. I also have 19,000 gp to work with. My first level Bard spells I know are Grease and Inspirational Boost. The DM who is new is allowing access to all books which I happen to possess a lot of them. The campaign's theme is the Planes, and the party is acting as policemen to the planes. I have already been doing some of my homework on what to spells to get. The focus of spells I am looking at are Evocation (Sonic, Good, Light) and Conjuration. For instance I am thinking of getting Healing Sphere from BoEF instead of Healing Spirit from PHBII which is similar.
When I get the chance I will post what cleric spells and magic items I have already found that look good to get for my healer.

AdalKar
2011-01-21, 08:31 AM
I will just leave these here:

Inspire Courage Optimization (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19869994/Bard_Inspire_Courage_Optimization)

The Bard's Handbook (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=8284.0)

Breaking Down Inspire Courage Optimization (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?PHPSESSID=ts5v6k5k28bngtd6thngqhmq16&topic=9830.0)

X stat to Y bonus (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=125732) <- check the charisma section :smallwink:

I don't know what exactly you're looking for, that would help (what do you want to achieve with this character/build) and also what level of optimization you are aiming for.
Hope these will help you a bit :smallsmile:

TurtleKing
2011-01-21, 05:34 PM
I am interested in what spells and magic items that would do well for my healer under the conditions set forth.

Akal Saris
2011-01-21, 06:02 PM
I'd take close wounds from Spell Compendium as your 2nd level Favored Soul spell known. It heals 1d4+CL (up to 5) at close range rather than touch, and as an immediate action. So you can heal your buddy and keep him standing when he'd otherwise go unconscious.

Protection from Evil is another good low level spell for a planar campaign. Spell Compendium has Resist Planar Alignment (Cleric 1), possibly worth taking as a spell known, and Avoid Planar Effects (Cleric 2), probably more useful as a scroll.

Some item suggestions:

Wand of Cure Light Wounds: the Old Standby for healers everywhere.

Amulet of Retributive Healing (MIC): 3/day heal yourself for as much as you healed an ally. Helps spread the healing around, especially if somebody casts Shield Other on you. Very cheap at 2,000gp.

Armband of Maximized Healing (MIC): 3/day your next healing spell of 6th level or lower is maximized. Very cheap for the effect. This can make in-combat healing worthwhile for another level or two.

Circlet of Solace (MIC): 3/day your next healing spell also grants +5 to various saving throws for 1 minute. A great effect, and one that even works with very low level spells like cure light wounds. 2,000g I think?

Healing Belt (MIC): Best healing per gp ratio in the game. 750gp, and a +2 to your healing checks to boot.

Cloak of Resistance (DMG): Since part of your job is to remove effects like Hold Person and Stinking Cloud, you're useless if you can't do anything during your round because you failed your own roll! Favored Souls already have high saves and good stats in Con, Dex, and Wisdom, so coupled with a cloak of resistance they should avoid save-or-lose spells.

Good luck!

TurtleKing
2011-01-22, 02:07 PM
These are some of the spells I am looking into getting. This does not include the PHB spells yet.

Level 0 spells:
Amanuensis
Level 1 spells:
Lesser Vigor
Cure Light Wounds
Protection from Evil
Omen of Peril
Resurgence
Level 2 spells:
Close Wounds
Cure Moderate Wounds
Healing Lorecall
Avoid Planar Effects
Conduit of Life
Mark of Judgement
Level 3 spells:
Holy Storm
Resurgence Mass
Light of Venya
Healing Sphere
Vigor
Mass Lesser Vigor
Insignia of Blessing, Healing, Warding
Lesser Telepathic Bond
Lesser Visage of the Deity
Soul of Light
Attune Form
Level 4 spells:
Astral Hospice
Panacea
Positive Energy Aura
Sound Lance
Energy Vortex
Seed of Life
Channeled Divine Health
Level 5 spells:
Greater Vigor
Blistering Radience
Darts of Life
Reivify
Divine Retribution
Magic Convalescence
Level 6 spells:
Vigorous Circle
Visage of the Deity
Level 7 spells:
Rejuvenating Light
Holy Star
Slime Wave
Righteous Burst
Level 8 spells:
Lion's Roar
Level 9 spells:
Greater Visage of the Deity

Will post what magic items I have already looked into getting later.

TurtleKing
2011-01-24, 12:35 AM
Sorry for the double post. I was wondering how the feat Augment Healing works with spells that grant fast healing? Augment Healing adds +2 HP per spell level to a healing spell. So would Lesser Vigor that is spell level 1 grants fast healing 1 increase to fast healing 3 for the same duration. The difference is going up from possible healing of 15 hp to 45 hp. If that is the case then higher level spells like Greater Vigor (spell level 5) goes from fast healing 4 to fast healing 14 with a possible result of healing for 490 over 3.5 minutes instead of 140 with the same duration. Vigorous Circle at spell level 6 could heal for the most for upto 600 hp per person instead of 120 hp per person. Vigorous Circle isn't not even the highest amount of healing this could go for. Normal Rejuvenating Light-spell level 7, CChamp- grants fast healing 1 to all living creatures within 60 ft of the object the spell has been cast on. This may not sound like much either but the duration is for minutes per level. The lowest level a cleric could cast this at 13. This could heal for 130 hp if the person stays in the area for the duration. Now the Augmented Rejuvenating Light could grant fast healing 15 for the same duration? That could end up being 1,950 hp per person. Granted this only works in the area, and if you leave it stops till you reenter the area of the spell still in effect.

So if the feat Augment Healing does in fact increase a fast healing 1 to a fast healing 3 from Lesser Vigor for instance this could pose some very interesting situations. One case is cast a Rejuvenating Light on an adamantine crossbow bolt or ballista bolt launching it at the enemy and heal them till overheal resulting in them exploding. The best part of that is you could also relaunch the bolt while the spell is still active and affect other parts of the battlefield. Just make sure you also have immunity to it or at very low health so to benefit from the momentary fast healing 15. In undead heavy or planar campaigns this gets better since it also does 1d6 positive energy to undead and 2d6 positive energy to undead vulnerable to sunlight. Also counters darkness spells of equal or lower level.

TurtleKing
2011-01-29, 03:08 AM
Anyone else have any suggestions?