PDA

View Full Version : Preparing for fights with grappling enemies?

gomipile
2011-01-21, 03:45 AM
I was just wondering how,for example, a ranger without Escape Artist as a class skill might prepare for a fight he knows is going to have a large grappling enemy.

I'd like to be able to prepare so that my character can escape a serious grapple without Escape Artist or outside help.

By "serious grapple" I mean the grapple of large enemies like that damned crab and its higher CR fellows with Constrict and especially high grapple modifiers.

Crossblade
2011-01-21, 03:55 AM
Used ranged attacks?
Stay near your animal companion and have it use Aid Another to reverse the grapple?
Have the whole party Aid Another to grapple it?

Have your caster prepare Freedom of Movement.

rakkoon
2011-01-21, 03:58 AM
Armour with spikes?
Poisoned spikes !

ericgrau
2011-01-21, 04:32 AM
You're a TWFer, you have a light weapon, what's the problem? Full attack with your light weapon at a -4 to hit, no grapple check necessary. Grappling creatures also tend to do less damage than normal, so you'll still keep up.

Bow rangers ya just stay at a long distance. Probably want to carry a dagger too as a last resort. Maybe a spell storing dagger if you're primarily ranged to give a 1 hit burst to help drop the grappler. You only get 1 big burst but hopefully you'll be able to get back to your primary role soon.

Escape artist is a standard meaning you'll either provoke when you move away and get regrappled or you'll stay there and get regrappled next round.

MIC has some cheap teleport items that are command word operated too.

John Campbell
2011-01-21, 06:18 AM
Freedom of movement is a Ranger spell. Wandable, too.

Corronchilejano
2011-01-21, 07:34 AM
If you have an extra feat and good damage (or at least not mediocre), Close Quarters Fighting not only guarantees you an extra hit towards grapplers within reach, but it can help you avoid the grapple altogether in most situations.

Keep in mind, RAW states you wouldn't get an AoO for enemies outside your reach (so enemies with reach would be pretty much inmune to it, BIG problem). Your DM would need to house rule that you can make the AoO if the oponnent needs to contact you physically in order to begin grappling. We house rule it in my group, but you'd need to check with your DM.

Darrin
2011-01-21, 07:39 AM
I was just wondering how,for example, a ranger without Escape Artist as a class skill might prepare for a fight he knows is going to have a large grappling enemy.

Potion of cat's grace (300 GP, DMG). +2 enhancement bonus on Escape Artist checks.

Salve of slipperiness (1000 GP, DMG). +20 competence bonus on Escape Artist checks.

Slippery Oil (50 GP, Dragon Compendium). +5 untyped bonus on Escape Artist checks.

Spelunker's Oil (15 GP, Drow of the Underdark). +2 alchemical bonus on Escape Artist checks.

Keld Denar
2011-01-21, 11:05 AM
Anklets of Translocation. I never make a character above 2nd level without a pair. 2/day swift action 10' teleport. Port out of the grapple and either full attack, or tumble/run like a coward, hopefully putting something between you and a charge lane.

Alternatively, drop a feat on Hidden Talent for the Dimension Hop power. You get 2 PP, which amounts to 2/day 10' teleports just like the Anklets. You can also invest more resources to get more PP if you want more uses per day.