PDA

View Full Version : How does an 11th level cleric/wizard turn himself into a Lich ?

nonsi
2011-01-21, 08:48 AM
I know of the Dread Necromancer and a handfull of PrCs that can do it, but I know of no official ruls for just any 11th level spellcaster to become one (and I've been around for quite a while).

So, putting char-op & LA considerations aside for a moment, Craft Wonderous Items is a must, yes, but what else should it require?
(spells/feats/rituals/sacrifices/... anything else)

Any ideas anyone ?

HalfTangible
2011-01-21, 08:50 AM
It's possible but not recommended because it costs a lot of XP and slows down leveling up. Dread Necromancers don't get a full lich form until level 20.

nonsi
2011-01-21, 09:21 AM
It's possible but not recommended because it costs a lot of XP and slows down leveling up.

By what means ?

Lord_Gareth
2011-01-21, 09:39 AM
By what means ?

Read the Lich template; the process is detailed there.

lesser_minion
2011-01-21, 12:56 PM
If a character who meets the prerequisites creates a phylactery, then the next time they die, they reform as a lich a few days later (in the same way that an existing lich who is destroyed would). That's how I've always understood it.

The description of the phylactery, including rules for how to make one, is given in the description of the template.

By what means ?

You have to pay XP to create the phylactery, as with any other magic item, and you gain a juicy level adjustment into the bargain.

Drynwyn
2011-01-27, 05:13 PM
In addition to the LA, it also costs 120,000 GP, which is far outside the 11th-level wealth total.

Tvtyrant
2011-01-27, 05:59 PM
In addition to the LA, it also costs 120,000 GP, which is far outside the 11th-level wealth total.

But not if you have a whole group and they pay for it together! Say 6, and then you pay them back by singlehandedly sacking a city and giving them the loot.