PDA

View Full Version : Living as a werecreature.

RndmNumGen
2011-01-21, 12:23 PM
So I was just bitten by a wererat in my current game, and I think there is a somewhat significant chance I now have lycanthropy, as I blew my fort save. For a while I was thinking about a way for my character to figure out about the curse and get a cure, but the more I thought about it the more I think I might stay as a wererat. Not only would it be fun RPing the dramatic alignment change, but I also happen to be a Monk, so the stat adjustments and natural armor would my AC up from a miserly 14 to a nice 20 when in hybrid form - plus biting people in grapples is fun.

I've never played anything with a level adjustment before though, and I'm unsure if the benefits would be worth the adjustments. As I mentioned before, I am a monk, which means my BAB is kind of on the low side already; the dire rat RHD doesn't add any BAB, and the +2 LA will greatly slow down future progression...

Is it worth it to be a wererat, or should I try and find a cure? If I stay as one, what are some of the best ways to minimize the impact of the template's negative effects? The DM frowns on multiclassing unless there is a good reason for it, so something like switching to ranger seems unlikely.

Scarlet-Devil
2011-01-21, 01:21 PM
Take weapon finesse real fast, and put lots of ranks in control shape. When that time of the month comes around have your party chain you up so you don't cause trouble.

Dusk Eclipse
2011-01-21, 01:24 PM
Why won't the Dire-Rat HD increase your BAB? IIRC Dire animals get Full BAB

Greenish
2011-01-21, 01:25 PM
the dire rat RHD doesn't add any BABAsk for partial BAB?

Is it worth it to be a wererat, or should I try and find a cure?Well, in-character, you probably should be freakin' out and looking for a cure. Lycanthropy when you have low HD animal such as the rat isn't that bad, especially in a low op game.

Though I should mention that a wererat's bite carries Filth Fever alongside the Curse of Lycanthropy, so if you only had to make one save, the wererat was an infected one and couldn't pass it on, and the disease you caught is just an ordinary one.

[Edit]:
Why won't the Dire-Rat HD increase your BAB? IIRC Dire animals get Full BABDire animals are animals. Animal HD is medium BAB.

Take weapon finesse real fastYou get it as a bonus feat when you become a wererat.

Coidzor
2011-01-22, 09:57 AM
I've never played anything with a level adjustment before though, and I'm unsure if the benefits would be worth the adjustments. As I mentioned before, I am a monk, which means my BAB is kind of on the low side already; the dire rat RHD doesn't add any BAB, and the +2 LA will greatly slow down future progression...

The hybrid forms of lycanthropes can be useful to monks to get additional firepower in the form of natural weapons, but you'd probably want to just take a savage progression of whatever lycanthrope... and get a better one than wererat. :smallyuk:

So either cure yourself or get your lame RHD energy drained away.

Edit: What level are you? If you have 6 class levels and you're playing with LA buyoff (unlikely as it is if your DM is so stingy he forbids multiclassing), you can just pay an XP cost and get rid of one point of LA.

Though I should mention that a wererat's bite carries Filth Fever alongside the Curse of Lycanthropy, so if you only had to make one save, the wererat was an infected one and couldn't pass it on, and the disease you caught is just an ordinary one.

Where are you getting the idea that afflicted lycanthropes (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/lycanthrope.htm) are non-contagious from?

Greenish
2011-01-22, 10:03 AM
Where are you getting the idea that afflicted lycanthropes (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/lycanthrope.htm) are non-contagious from?From the monster entry (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/lycanthrope.htm):
Curse of Lycanthropy (Su)
Any humanoid or giant hit by a natural lycanthrope’s bite attack in animal or hybrid form must succeed on a DC 15 Fortitude save or contract lycanthropy. If the victim’s size is not within one size category of the lycanthrope the victim cannot contract lycanthropy from that lycanthrope. Afflicted lycanthropes cannot pass on the curse of lycanthropy.

FelixG
2011-01-22, 10:14 AM
I would also note that it wont be much fun roleplaying as the Rat as your character becomes an NPC during the changes. You just have to roleplay out the aftermath.

Coidzor
2011-01-22, 10:15 AM
From the monster entry (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/lycanthrope.htm):

Ah, thanks. Scrolling, truly you are my greatest foe. x.x

RndmNumGen
2011-01-22, 11:21 AM
Hmm... good point about possibly not being infected, though I could swear the rats which attacked us were natural lycanthropes as they obviously has DR 10.

I'm currently level 2 though, so a ways off from paying for any LA(Assuming I am infected).

true_shinken
2011-01-22, 02:15 PM
Actually, this kind of looks like the DM giving you a stealth power up. Take it.

Czin
2011-01-22, 02:18 PM
Watch out for mounted archers with silver arrows, I have lost many a lycanthrope character to them...

So many...prickly wooden metal tipped sticks...shivers.

2xMachina
2011-01-22, 02:25 PM
Watch out for mounted archers with silver arrows, I have lost many a lycanthrope character to them...

Hmm? Why? As far as I can see, they're just Dr/Silver, so yes, it's a pain for them, but otherwise, they're no worse off than a human with no DR.

Callista
2011-01-22, 02:25 PM
You might enjoy this book--

The Werewolf's Guide to Life: A Manual for the Newly Bitten (http://www.amazon.com/Werewolfs-Guide-Life-Manual-Bitten/dp/0767931939/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top)

It's a fun read; maybe your library has it. It does assume non-evil werecreatures, but hey, it might spark some RP ideas.

Czin
2011-01-22, 02:33 PM
Hmm? Why? As far as I can see, they're just Dr/Silver, so yes, it's a pain for them, but otherwise, they're no worse off than a human with no DR.

Ranged attackers who can continously stay away from you are invariably bad news for melee oriented characters.

Callista
2011-01-22, 02:34 PM
And with the extra level adjustment, you'll have fewer HP, which the DR is supposed to offset--but if they have silver, it doesn't.

2xMachina
2011-01-22, 02:38 PM
At least the loot is good if you survive it? :smallwink:

Czin
2011-01-22, 02:41 PM
At least the loot is good if you survive it? :smallwink:

You'll probably run out of hit points long before the mongol platoon runs out of arrows. :smalltongue:

Coidzor
2011-01-22, 02:57 PM
And that's why dwarves invented tower shields.

RndmNumGen
2011-01-22, 05:05 PM

Deflect Arrows!

Okay, yeah, that's only 1/round so you have a point.

Coidzor
2011-01-22, 05:36 PM
Deflect Arrows!

Okay, yeah, that's only 1/round so you have a point.

And that's why dwarves invented tower shields.

Seriously. Nonproficiency doesn't matter unless you're trying to attack something while wielding it. Which is just a silly idea anyway with a tower shield.

Czin
2011-01-22, 05:38 PM
Seriously. Nonproficiency doesn't matter unless you're trying to attack something while wielding it. Which is just a silly idea anyway with a tower shield.

An out of Control Lycanthrope strikes me as the the last thing that would use a Tower shield (well...besides a T-rex...)

Coidzor
2011-01-22, 05:50 PM
An out of Control Lycanthrope strikes me as the the last thing that would use a Tower shield (well...besides a T-rex...)

Well, he's completely useless and something to be kept shackled up until he finally makes his will save, so that suggestion was assuming he was good to adventure again.

RndmNumGen
2011-01-22, 06:15 PM
Well I do have a very good Wisdom, so I have a 45% chance of making the check each time it happens.