PDA

View Full Version : Cthulu in Cleavland!

Chauncymancer
2011-01-21, 03:42 PM
In about an hour I'm running Kingsbury Horror, the pre-packaged mystery in the Trail of Cthulu game book. Does anyone who has run this module before have any advice on it? I've run Trail before, but this is by far the most complex mystery I've tried to run.
What I'm most worried about is how the players are supposed to get from one clue to the next scene. Some of the clues look like leaps.

rayne_dragon
2011-01-21, 04:06 PM
I've never run it before, but I've tried running a few mystery games, so I can understand the concern over making sure the players get from clue to clue without getting too lost and frustrated. Generally if players are having trouble it can be a good idea to throw a hint at them. Have something happen that points them in the right direction. I don't know the specifics of the module in question, but if for instance the next clue is at, say, the Marsh Hotel then you might have some random goons attack the party and have a matchbook for the hotel on them. Also players might sometimes have a good idea that takes them in the wrong direction, so if they start getting too lost you might again want to throw them a clue that points them in the right direction. Just make sure to give them a chance to figure things out without extra clues first and only help them out when they're about to start to loose focus due to being frustrated at not making progress. You should manage just fine if you've read it over and understand the module well.