PDA

View Full Version : That is TOO MUCH COFFEE!

Haruki-kun
2011-01-21, 03:43 PM
Apparently Starbucks now goes Tall, Grande, Venti, and Trenta. (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-12249363)

That's right, kids, a 32oz/916ml coffee cup, where the average adult human stomach only holds 900 ml (http://flowingdata.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/Starbucks-trenta-575x654.jpg). Personally, I love coffee, and yet I never order a Venti, that's just too much.

Scaling up a 591ml coffee to a 916ml coffee, you soon see there might be health implications.

Taking a Starbucks Venti whole milk caffe latte and making it a Trenta, you would be left with a drink that contained 447 calories, including 23.2g of fat with 13.3g of that saturated fat.

You also end up with an alarming-sounding proposition if you scale up an iced hazelnut mocha made with semi-skimmed milk and whipped cream (from Starbucks' UK offering). As a Trenta this would add up to 929.2 calories, 24.3g of saturated fat, and 122g of sugar.

Would you actually order this?

druid91
2011-01-21, 03:50 PM
No. I hate coffee...

My mom on the other hand... would. We go through at least 3 pots of coffee a day usually more. And then she switches to tea before bed.

rayne_dragon
2011-01-21, 03:55 PM
Starbucks isn't my favourite place for coffee, but I'm fine with that kind of size drink. Mind you, I'd be putting it in a travel thermos and sipping on it all day. I'd also probably be making sure to take a really long walk given all that fat and sugar.

KingOfLaughter
2011-01-21, 03:57 PM
I hate starbucks, Tim Hortons is way better.
But if I did goto starbucks... Yea I'd get a coffee that size.

Worira
2011-01-21, 04:01 PM
Here's a thing. (http://consumerist.com/2011/01/starbucks-trenta-slightly-larger-than-average-human-stomach-capacity.html)

Also, 32 is not what trenta is.

KenderWizard
2011-01-21, 04:06 PM
THAT'S RIDICULOUS!! That iced mocha one has over an adult's GDA of saturated fat! In a coffee!! Wow...

CoffeeIncluded
2011-01-21, 04:07 PM
*Sigh* Nobody needs that much coffee and cream and sugar. And this is coming from someone who has "coffee" in her username.

Fun Fact: I actually don't drink that much coffee. It needs to be sweetened to the consistency of coffee ice cream (Which I love) or a frappe, and I'm hyper enough as it is.

snoopy13a
2011-01-21, 04:11 PM
A Trenta black coffee has 0 calories :smalltongue: .

I've heard that they are introducing that size in US but just for iced coffee/iced tea. A 32 oz iced coffee, even with a cream and sugar, doesn't really have that much calories.

Also, I prefer Tim Hortons over Starbucks (Tim Hortons is a Canadian chain that is kinda like Dunkin' Donuts but they've now expanded into western NY :smallsmile: ).

Worira
2011-01-21, 04:12 PM
THAT'S RIDICULOUS!! That iced mocha one has over an adult's GDA of saturated fat! In a coffee!! Wow...

It also doesn't exist.

But these drinks remain fictional, because Starbucks says it is only using the new measure for a very limited range of drinks - two types of iced tea and plain iced coffee. There will also be a significant proportion of ice in the drinks.

For its Trenta iced coffee, Starbucks advertises total fat of 4.5g, of which 2.5g and a mere 230 calories is saturated. The sugar clocks in at 42g and the caffeine content is 195mg, equivalent to 2.6 of the firm's espresso measures.

Only the sugar content might cause concern, with Williams suggesting an RDA of 90g a day for women and 120g a day for men. The Starbucks Trenta iced tea lemonade contains considerably more sugar with 59g.

Muz
2011-01-21, 04:17 PM
SureIlovethatmuchcoffee!It'sfantastic,it'sthebestt hingever!
Coffeecoffeecoffee!Ijusthadsomeanditwasfantastic!I liveinSeattlesoStarbucksisn't
reallysoforeigntomebecauseitusedtobeasingleshoptha tmydadtookmetoonceindowntownSeattlewhenIwasa
boy.DidImentionIlikecoffee,IdrinktwoTrenta'swortha dayanyway.BoyhaveyouseenNCISandtheamountof
caffeineAbbydrinks?Isn'tthatinsane?Didyouknoworcar ethatmymomreallylikesAbbyandwantsherforadaughter-in-law?
Nothat'snottoomuchcoffee!Ifanythingit'snotENOUGH!! !!!!
:smallbiggrin::smallcool: :smalleek::smallbiggrin::smalleek::smallbiggrin: :smallmad::smallbiggrin:

Nageto004
2011-01-21, 04:27 PM
Now I want coffee, perhaps I should go buy one of these.

But these drinks remain fictional, because Starbucks says it is only using the new measure for a very limited range of drinks - two types of iced tea and plain iced coffee

Gross iced coffee nevermind.:smallyuk:

Joran
2011-01-21, 04:28 PM
SureIlovethatmuchcoffee!It'sfantastic,it'sthebestt hingever!
Coffeecoffeecoffee!Ijusthadsomeanditwasfantastic!I liveinSeattlesoStarbucksisn't
reallysoforeigntomebecauseitusedtobeasingleshoptha tmydadtookmetoonceindowntownSeattlewhenIwasa
boy.DidImentionIlikecoffee,IdrinktwoTrenta'swortha dayanyway.BoyhaveyouseenNCISandtheamountof
caffeineAbbydrinks?Isn'tthatinsane?Didyouknoworcar ethatmymomreallylikesAbbyandwantsherforadaughter-in-law?
Nothat'snottoomuchcoffee!Ifanythingit'snotENOUGH!! !!!!
:smallbiggrin::smallcool: :smalleek::smallbiggrin::smalleek::smallbiggrin: :smallmad::smallbiggrin:

I feel fantastic
And I never felt as good as how I do right now
Except for maybe when I think of how I felt that day
When I felt the way that I do right now, right now.

For iced coffee, I always thought the large size was too small, because the ice displaced too much volume; I ended up with less coffee than if I ordered a hot drink. This is not a bad idea.

grimbold
2011-01-21, 05:10 PM
there are bigger drinks
like the big slurp (or somethign like that) 96 OZ!
but still its a bit ridiculous

CynicalAvocado
2011-01-21, 05:39 PM
yes.

i just wouldn't need coffee for the rest of the day. now to find a travel mug that size

Haruki-kun
2011-01-21, 05:42 PM
Here's a thing. (http://consumerist.com/2011/01/starbucks-trenta-slightly-larger-than-average-human-stomach-capacity.html)

Also, 32 is not what trenta is.

I don't really do ounces..... <.< I get what you mean, though.

Gross iced coffee nevermind.:smallyuk:

I heart iced coffee.... .-.

Would you drink that much hot coffee, though? It's still huge.

MonkeyBusiness
2011-01-21, 06:02 PM
I would drink that much coffee ... but not from StarYuck's.

I can make and drink that much coffee in my own coffeepress. Mmmm ... a good imported coffee from Italy, or a locally roasted brand done in small batches (when I lived in Seattle I loved "Old Victrola") makes a happy monkey.

:smalltongue:

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2011-01-21, 06:02 PM
I was... yeah.

I prefer Tim Horton's. More Canadian, more patriotic.

Haruki-kun
2011-01-21, 06:06 PM
I would drink that much coffee ... but not from StarYuck's.

I can make and drink that much coffee in my own coffeepress. Mmmm ...

I was... yeah.

Well, I'm a Mexican college student. The best coffee I have access to comes from Starbucks or convenience stores.

EDIT: Convenience store coffee is good.... <.<

Malfunctioned
2011-01-21, 06:07 PM
Hmm.....

Needs more caffeine.

And more coffee.

Make it bigger and we'll talk.

Of course, those who know me know of my quasi-addiction to energy drinks, as in I normally have one for breakfast and then 2 or three others during the day. :smallbiggrin:

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2011-01-21, 07:00 PM
Well, I'm a Mexican college student. The best coffee I have access to comes from Starbucks or convenience stores.

Tim Hortons is medium price, medium quality. Very workaday, but not boring.

And Mal? We've talked about this. That is NOT healthy. :smallyuk:
Mind you, I do love me some energy drinks. They are muchos tasty.

Dr.Epic
2011-01-21, 07:00 PM
No such thing as too much coffee.

Malfunctioned
2011-01-21, 07:12 PM
Tim Hortons is medium price, medium quality. Very workaday, but not boring.

And Mal? We've talked about this. That is NOT healthy. :smallyuk:

All I can say is that last time I visited my favourite import shop I managed to get some Romulan Ale.

It's the best tasting energy drink ever.

And it's bright blue. :smallbiggrin:

CynicalAvocado
2011-01-21, 07:17 PM
All I can say is that last time I visited my favourite import shop I managed to get some Romulan Ale.

It's the best tasting energy drink ever.

And it's bright blue. :smallbiggrin:

i like the monster imports meself. mix with redbull and some vodka....

Gorgondantess
2011-01-21, 07:22 PM
Y'know, I don't see what the hype is about "oh, it's larger than a human stomach!" So what? Lots of things we eat on a daily basis are. The stomach doesn't even store over half of what you're ingesting- that's all the intestines. I can down 1.5 litres of water in one sitting, why can't I down less than one litre of coffee? It's not even that much bigger than the venti.:smallsigh:
EDIT: not that I actually drink Starbucks- goodness, no! I believe they intentionally burn their coffee so that you buy the more expensive, flavoured drinks. Seriously, the stuff's vile.

Drynwyn
2011-01-21, 07:36 PM
No such thing as too much coffee.

Yes, there is, and the Trenta has reached that point.
I'm sorry, but if you need to drink that much coffee, you don't need coffee, you need more sleep.
so no, i would never buy a coffe that size, unless, like Rayne, I was going to sip at it through the day.

AshDesert
2011-01-21, 07:39 PM

Eww. Energy drinks taste like battery acid:smallyuk:

32 oz isn't bad when compared to the 7-Eleven Team Gulp. 128 oz of soda (which you might recognize as more sugary than flavored coffee).

purple gelatinous cube o' Doom
2011-01-21, 07:50 PM
Apparently Starbucks now goes Tall, Grande, Venti, and Trenta. (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-12249363)

That's right, kids, a 32oz/916ml coffee cup, where the average adult human stomach only holds 900 ml (http://flowingdata.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/Starbucks-trenta-575x654.jpg). Personally, I love coffee, and yet I never order a Venti, that's just too much.

Actually the average adult stomach can hold at least 1 quart (which is 946 ml or so). So actually the stomach is bigger than the cup size despite what article says.

Would you actually order this?

I probably drink that amount of coffee in a day, so possibly. Generally I don't drink that much all at once, and usually not from Starbucks (unless I have gift cards), but yes, yes I would.

neoseph7
2011-01-21, 08:29 PM
Too much is never enough. :smallwink:

Not only would I drink this, I'd probably be up two or three for a single day. Just to frighten the smaller children. Mwah hah hah hah ha...

Saposhiente
2011-01-21, 08:38 PM
*sluuuuuuurp*

IFEELGREAT!IFEELGREAT!IFEELGREAT!
I feel bad.
IFEELGREAT!IFEELGREAT!ICAN'TFEELMYLEGS!

CrimsonAngel
2011-01-21, 09:08 PM
Never enough!

rayne_dragon
2011-01-21, 09:16 PM
Actually the average adult stomach can hold at least 1 quart (which is 946 ml or so). So actually the stomach is bigger than the cup size despite what article says.

Plus you still have the capacity of the esophagus and intestines to consider... it's not like your stomach is the only part of your body where the liquid is going to be.

Jack Squat
2011-01-21, 10:46 PM
I'd order it if I ever went to Starbucks. When I was out working a booth this past week, I had a little over a litre of coffee over the period of an hour. I'd have had more if I had the time to brew more than one pot.

I'm not really effected by caffeine (probably due to a tolerance built up by how much of the stuff I consume), but I enjoy the taste, and a hot drink in cold weather is not unappreciated.

On a related note, does anyone else get miffed that you only really get 4 cups out of a 12 cup coffee maker?

Em Blackleaf
2011-01-21, 11:11 PM
This new size will probably even more outlandishly expensive than the prices for the current sizes. And it's only offered for three drinks.

I like my white chocolate mocha. :P

But that much coffee would upset my stomach. If I get something at Starbucks, I tend to get a Grande, since a even Venti is too much coffee for me in one sitting (but that's just me).

So I, personally, would not buy a Starbucks beverage of this size. :smalltongue:

Haruki-kun
2011-01-21, 11:27 PM

Dude... don't mix that stuff with alcohol... <.<

It's not even that much bigger than the venti.:smallsigh:

:smallconfused: It's 300 ml bigger than the Venti.

Jack Squat
2011-01-21, 11:33 PM
to be fair though, the trenta is only available for iced drinks - of which a significant portion of the volume is taken up by ice. You're still only really going to be getting about the amount of liquid that you would if you ordered a normal venti drink.

Traab
2011-01-22, 12:45 AM
I am currently drinking a container that holds 8 cups of tea in it. If I felt like spending 90 bucks on 30 cents worth of tea, id be willing to buy that new size.

Kuma Kode
2011-01-22, 12:54 AM
That's something you buy in the morning and finish before you go to bed. There is no other explanation.

Roland St. Jude
2011-01-22, 12:57 AM
Apparently, all this media coverage and hyperbole about the new trenta has peeved the Dunkin Donuts people:

Check out this short article on The Consumerist: Hey, we have a 32-ounce drink, too, -- it's called a large. (http://consumerist.com/2011/01/dunkin-donuts-hey-we-have-a-32-ounce-drink----its-called-a-large.html)

Haruki-kun
2011-01-22, 01:04 AM
Apparently, all this media coverage and hyperbole about the new trenta has peeved the Dunkin Donuts people:

Check out this short article on The Consumerist: Hey, we have a 32-ounce drink, too, -- it's called a large. (http://consumerist.com/2011/01/dunkin-donuts-hey-we-have-a-32-ounce-drink----its-called-a-large.html)

Still, it's doubltess that the trenta will be known as the massive drink that coffee drinkers refer to most often, because giving your products pretentious names and prime number ounce amounts get you better mileage when it comes to publicity.

Sadly, true. :smalltongue:

I guess I got carried away by the number, but it's still a lot of coffee... I just think of it as "Well, that's nearly a carton of milk!"

AsteriskAmp
2011-01-22, 01:18 AM
Sadly, true. :smalltongue:

I guess I got carried away by the number, but it's still a lot of coffee... I just think of it as "Well, that's nearly a carton of milk!"

I used to drink cartoons of milk as breakfast when on prom trip, since I couldn't get my morning tea, I had to replace it with milk, and since the cartoons were the only size, I ended up drinking them whole because we couldn't take opened liquids in the bus.

And I would buy that for convenience as I could easily drink some and then put it on a Thermos and have a whole's day coffee supply handy.

RabbitHoleLost
2011-01-22, 02:25 AM
Haven't actually read through the rest of the thread, but I'll say that, for myself, I always get iced something or others from Starbucks. Usually, an iced passion tea/lemonade mix, and they always fill it half with ice. Even if I ask for halfice.
So, you know, maybe with this new size I'll get more than four good sized sips from it.

SMEE
2011-01-22, 05:35 AM
That's quite a lot of weak "coffee" packed on a single bottle. :smallconfused:

Meh, give me 10 espressos instead of that and I'll be a happy girl. :smallcool:
Or a two cups of "real coffee". You know, the kind that is so black you can't see through it. :smallwink:

22Charisma
2011-01-25, 02:36 PM
Why all the starbucks hate? :(

I just recently started working at starbucks again(Regardless of how good[or not] their coffee is, they're actually a pretty good employer) and I have to say, I don't know about Tim Horton but I know I like Sbux coffee over Dunkin Donuts or Honey Dew. Honestly DD & HD taste like coffee flavored water to me.

Although I suppose my input might be moot as I tend to get my coffee de-caf.

Plus, like someone before me said. 30-sumwhat oz? Big Whoop, 7-11 sells bigger slushies. And what about the GINORMOUS sodas at BK and McDonald's? They have to be over 30oz too, PLUS the rest of your burger and fries.

Nidogg
2011-01-25, 03:42 PM
Hmm, that much coffee? no, Too much, better to get an espresso and get the same thing without the calories and an awesome flavour.
That much tea however, (not starbucks tea, they do good coffee but awefull tea) and well make a deal.

Karoht
2011-01-25, 05:39 PM
New Size of Drink = New Size of Cup
Fact: Regardless of if they should or not, people will special order something to go in a cup of that size, whether it is on the menu or not. Trenta Macchiato I am quite certain would constitute harmful.
It's actually rather clever on the company's part to have the cups and only use them for something healthy-ish. Then if someone orders an unhealthy portion, it removes their liability by a degree or two, because it's not actually on the menu.
But you know they'll have pricing already worked out.

And eventually, it will probably end up on the menu as a size for all their drinks. Thats where it gets a bit scary.

Coffee isn't really meant to be consumed like this. Europe really treats their coffee very differently to North America. You stop, you sit down, you sip at it, you treat it with respect, you don't chug-a-lug the stuff.

But hey, I'm sure there are truck drivers out there who can't wait.

EDIT: I was in Florida just this fall. I'm from Canada. I can safely say that equating Dunkin Donuts to Tim Hortons is like equating McDonalds to a 5 star restaurant. The only way I can explain why my coffee was so bad at Dunkin Donuts was they didn't properly rinse the machine after using a harsh clenser. And Starbucks in USA VS Starbucks in Canada... Starbucks USA was not as good. I've ordered the same drink (simple Iced Mocha) on both sides of the border on the same day. USA did NOT taste good. I'm betting the difference is a different source on the coffee itself.

Jack Squat
2011-01-26, 10:10 AM
New Size of Drink = New Size of Cup
Fact: Regardless of if they should or not, people will special order something to go in a cup of that size, whether it is on the menu or not. Trenta Macchiato I am quite certain would constitute harmful.

1. They can't do hot drinks in cheap plastic cups, they'll melt. You could ice any drink, but then you come to the same thing of it being about the same amount of liquid as a venti.

2. 31 oz of coffee's really not all that harmful. Depending on the strength, maybe if you have hypertension - but other than that it takes a lot of caffeine to cause harm. Now, the sugar and fats may not be too good for people, but there's more sugar in a 128 oz Team Gulp slushee from 7-11 than you'll ever have to worry about being in a drink at Starbucks.

Coffee isn't really meant to be consumed like this. Europe really treats their coffee very differently to North America. You stop, you sit down, you sip at it, you treat it with respect, you don't chug-a-lug the stuff.

European coffee also tends to be a little stronger than the American stuff.

Thorcrest
2011-01-26, 10:38 AM
Ahh sweet delicious Coffee! I love Coffee! But it makes me sad that no one drinks coffee...

What, you say you do?

Is that Milk and Sugar in there? Yes? Sorry, that's not Coffee... that's coffee with Milk and Sugar, that's like calling Juice from Concentrate Water, because it's water with Fruit from Concentrate.

If you don't like Coffee Don't Drink It! Don't fill it with Milk and Sugar, or Cream, or whatever else you put in your coffee... it is no longer coffee when there is something in the Coffee.

Now that that rant is finished, it's one of many about how putting things in coffee no longer makes it coffee, I can move on to the Topic at Hand.

I would say that yes, that is a lot of Coffee, but I can see myself having that much Coffee, but it would be over several hours... I also wouldn't Order a Coffee at Starbucks... it just tastes awful... So does Second Cup... and Tim Hortons!

Yes, I said Tim Hortons Coffee is one of the worst Coffees in the World! And I'm Canadian! The Taste reminds me of what the water in a city would taste like if it wasn't treated, put in a pot, warmed, and then served to the customers...

Oh look, I've gone on another rant... It makes me sad that there are feew good coffees in North America :smallfrown:

Anyways, back on topic: I wouldn't order that Coffee, it just seems like it's too much, if I were to have a coffee that big I would make it at home, using actual good coffee, and then put it ina thermos to have over the next several hours. I also don't like Iced Coffee, so that also removes that option!

Karoht
2011-01-26, 11:28 AM
European coffee also tends to be a little stronger than the American stuff.Which made me a very happy fellow when I visited Austria and Italy and Germany and Switzerland. Yeah, it was incredible.

Ahh sweet delicious Coffee! I love Coffee! But it makes me sad that no one drinks coffee...
What, you say you do?
Is that Milk and Sugar in there? Yes? Sorry, that's not Coffee... that's coffee with Milk and Sugar, that's like calling Juice from Concentrate Water, because it's water with Fruit from Concentrate.
If you don't like Coffee Don't Drink It! Don't fill it with Milk and Sugar, or Cream, or whatever else you put in your coffee... it is no longer coffee when there is something in the Coffee.And I will admit to drinking Coffee with creme and occasionally sugar. Though I do have it black from time to time. I also drink it with other additions when the mood takes me and opportunity presents itself. Coffee with Sambuka. Coffee with Khalua. Coffee with Irish Creme. Coffee with Creme du Cacao.

I would say that yes, that is a lot of Coffee, but I can see myself having that much Coffee, but it would be over several hours... I also wouldn't Order a Coffee at Starbucks... it just tastes awful... So does Second Cup... and Tim Hortons! Yes, I said Tim Hortons Coffee is one of the worst Coffees in the World! And I'm Canadian! The Taste reminds me of what the water in a city would taste like if it wasn't treated, put in a pot, warmed, and then served to the customers...You are more than welcome to dislike Tim Hortons. It is essentially the McDonalds of coffee. Tim Hortons Double Double is to coffee as a Big Mac is to the Hamburger.
It is one of the worst. But it is also one of the best that one can acquire quickly, with a minimum standard of coffee. Sure beats the vending machine coffee any day.
As for Starbucks plain coffee (as in, not a cappuchino or expresso or anything 'specialty') I've noticed that if I order it black, there is a layer of film or occasionally oil on the top. I dipped a spoon in it once, it's about the same color and consistancy as vegetable oil. Probably just oils from the coffee, and I hear that they intentionally over-roast their beans, though I don't know if that is fact or fiction.
Second Cup I used to prefer. Then I stopped going for a while, then went back... I don't know what happened to the quality level, but it dropped sharply. It didn't help that I would order a macciato and they would look at me funny, even though it was on their menu. Months later, they took it off the menu, or at least they did in my area. It also didn't help that Second Cup has NEVER got my fiance's order right the first time, and this is across multiple locations.
I'll be honest, I started frequenting Starbucks more, but the frequency of me going to get a specialty coffee was low to begin with, and is now considerably lower.

Oh look, I've gone on another rant... It makes me sad that there are feew good coffees in North America :smallfrown:Dunkin Donuts was attrocious, and I was surprised at the difference between an American Starbucks and a Canadian Starbucks. So I can't imagine other coffee places being much better, other than the mom and pop and independant coffee joints. I would mention that I've been looking for a good independant coffee place, but they all seem to have difficulty with a basic latte, or the good ones are just too far a drive away for me to visit them.

Anyways, back on topic: I wouldn't order that Coffee, it just seems like it's too much, if I were to have a coffee that big I would make it at home, using actual good coffee, and then put it ina thermos to have over the next several hours. I also don't like Iced Coffee, so that also removes that option!It is essentially a thermos worth of coffee. Yes, some people will drink that much coffee in a single sitting. Me, I prefer a single expresso, or just a cup (250 ml approx) of a medium or med/dark roast.

As for fancy stuff, my grandfather (from germany) used to grind his own coffee. He had 5 different grinders for 5 different purposes. I wish I could remember them all now. But I do know that he'd shave a few flakes of bakers chocolate (no more than a gram or two) into the grinder with some of the beans prior to grinding. And he used to keep a stick or two of cinnamon (broken up roughly) in with the beans when he stored them. He would occasionally find a small piece of cinnamon stick and grind it up as well, but only once in a while. I don't know if he used chickory ever, though I've heard it's good when blended with coffee. At the same time, I will profess my ignorance and state I've never tried it, and never really looked for it either.

Joran
2011-01-26, 11:51 AM
Forgotten in the news hoopla about the new Starbucks size is that Dunkin Donuts has been selling this size for awhile for their cold drinks. It's called a LARGE.

http://consumerist.com/2011/01/dunkin-donuts-hey-we-have-a-32-ounce-drink----its-called-a-large.html

Money quote: "Still, it's doubtless that the trenta will be known as the massive drink that coffee drinkers refer to most often, because giving your products pretentious names and prime number ounce amounts get you better mileage when it comes to publicity."

Dallas-Dakota
2011-01-26, 12:37 PM

Would you actually order this?Yes, and procededly share it with 3-10 other people.:smalltongue:

Eldpollard
2011-01-26, 12:57 PM
I already drink coffee by the litre... It's how big my cafettiere is. But black coffee with a bit of milk is pretty healthy, calorie wise at least. Caffeine wise... I'll probably have a heart attack before the week's out.

Roland St. Jude
2011-01-26, 01:12 PM

Forgotten in the news hoopla about the new Starbucks size is that Dunkin Donuts has been selling this size for awhile for their cold drinks. It's called a LARGE.

http://consumerist.com/2011/01/dunkin-donuts-hey-we-have-a-32-ounce-drink----its-called-a-large.html

Money quote: "Still, it's doubtless that the trenta will be known as the massive drink that coffee drinkers refer to most often, because giving your products pretentious names and prime number ounce amounts get you better mileage when it comes to publicity."
If only someone had brought that to our attention earlier! :smallamused:

VeisuItaTyhjyys
2011-01-26, 07:19 PM
I just drink coffee straight out of the pot, at this point in my addled student lifestyle. Someday, various members of Wu Tang will tell me of its evils for my health, I'm sure.

Runestar
2011-01-28, 08:08 PM
I guess it might be worth it if a group of friends/colleagues bought the supersized version to share amongst themselves, assuming it is cheaper than say, 3 smaller cups.

I did a similar thing at subways, with their foot-long offer. My friend and I would order a meal between us, and upsize to footlong (effectively 2 12-inch subs). We then split the cost and the food between us. The end result, each of us got a 12-inch sub, 1 cookie and half a cup of drink, and the final cost was actually cheaper than the cost of a 12-inch sub by itself! :smalltongue:

Titanium Fox
2011-01-28, 08:22 PM
Barring the fact I hate Starbucks coffee with a passion, I would totally get it.

Then again, I have a major caffeine addition.:smallbiggrin:

Moff Chumley
2011-01-28, 09:59 PM
Despise Starbucks. If Peet's offered this, I'd be all over it. But when I make coffee at home, I usually have more than this in one go anyhow. :smalltongue:

Haruki-kun
2011-01-28, 11:08 PM
....you know, I don't really get it. Everyone seems to hate Starbucks with a passion and yet they're always successful.

Is Starbucks like McDonald's or Microsoft or something?

darbythegambler
2011-01-28, 11:17 PM
....you know, I don't really get it. Everyone seems to hate Starbucks with a passion and yet they're always successful.

more or less, everyone hates them yet you see it everywhere

Moff Chumley
2011-01-28, 11:23 PM
Sums it up nicely.

Asta Kask
2011-01-29, 11:19 AM
That's quite a lot of weak "coffee" packed on a single bottle. :smallconfused:

Meh, give me 10 espressos instead of that and I'll be a happy girl. :smallcool:
Or a two cups of "real coffee". You know, the kind that is so black you can't see through it. :smallwink:

You need to come to the Nordic countries. We consume more coffee per capita than any other countries in the world. We know coffee.

Lord Raziere
2011-01-29, 11:56 AM

thats cause they got most of their growth in the 1980's and 90's and such. its 2011 now, we are more aware of what they do now, when they were growing however we didn't and therefore they became successful. its seems that they have become too successful and now people are annoyed by them.

but they didn't become super-mega giant corporations through quality :smalltongue: they're products are cheap and that is why there are people who come to them to buy stuff: cause they can't afford anything else. when all else fails make your stuff more affordable than the other guys, people may hate you but hey your rich what do you care?

Asta Kask
2011-01-29, 12:19 PM

You've reversed the cause-and-effect there. It's because we see them everywhere that we hate them. It allows us to feel superior to the sheeple who buy there, which is always a nice feeling.

Jack Squat
2011-01-29, 12:21 PM
thats cause they got most of their growth in the 1980's and 90's and such. its 2011 now, we are more aware of what they do now, when they were growing however we didn't and therefore they became successful. its seems that they have become too successful and now people are annoyed by them.

They're still very popular amongst the majority of people - both at school and work I see a fair bit of people carrying around Starbucks cups. It's more of it's just "cool" to hate on them.

but they didn't become super-mega giant corporations through quality :smalltongue: they're products are cheap and that is why there are people who come to them to buy stuff: cause they can't afford anything else. when all else fails make your stuff more affordable than the other guys, people may hate you but hey your rich what do you care?

It's $3 for a cup of coffee. It's under $1.50 at most fast food places and gas stations. They're hardly the cheapest around.

Asta Kask
2011-01-29, 12:24 PM
The stuff the sheeple drink must be bad. So by showing disdain for them, and their choice, you show yourself to be a connoisseur.

Lord Raziere
2011-01-29, 12:29 PM
The stuff the sheeple drink must be bad. So by showing disdain for them, and their choice, you show yourself to be a connoisseur.

whatever, rebellion is all fine with me if that is the case, rebel on man. rebel on. :smallcool:

Asta Kask
2011-01-29, 12:40 PM
Fine. Be prepared to be vilified by the next generation of rebels...

Moff Chumley
2011-01-29, 01:27 PM
If Starbucks had decent coffee, I'd shut up about them in a heartbeat. >.>

Runestar
2011-01-29, 06:23 PM
They're still very popular amongst the majority of people - both at school and work I see a fair bit of people carrying around Starbucks cups. It's more of it's just "cool" to hate on them.

It's $3 for a cup of coffee. It's under $1.50 at most fast food places and gas stations. They're hardly the cheapest around.

I have always wondered, how cheap (or expensive) is fast food in your area?

It's fairly ex in mine. A value meal (burger, fries, drink) can easily cost $5, with some of the limited period offerings costing up to $9. Conversely, I can enjoy a bowl of noodles for just $3. :smallyuk:

Ravens_cry
2011-01-29, 06:56 PM
I prefer tea myself. Better hot leaf juice then burnt beans.

Geno9999
2011-01-29, 09:37 PM
Dear Lord...
We must have someone drink a whole Trenta in one sitting and then document the results. For science.

Ravens_cry
2011-01-29, 09:47 PM
Dear Lord...
We must have someone drink a whole Trenta in one sitting and then document the results. For science.
The potential applications of the Speed Force would indeed make this a worthwhile endeavour.

Jack Squat
2011-01-29, 10:09 PM

It's fairly ex in mine. A value meal (burger, fries, drink) can easily cost $5, with some of the limited period offerings costing up to $9. Conversely, I can enjoy a bowl of noodles for just $3. :smallyuk:

I can eat a decent amount under $5 if I don't mind going off of the value menu. Normal meals tend to be from around $5-8.

I don't eat out that much though. It's a lot cheaper to eat at home.

Dear Lord...

I routinely have more caffeine in one sitting. I think the only thing that really happens is my heart-rate goes up some. Now, one of my friends would probably turn out like Hammy from Over the Hedge, but he starts getting jittery after 20 oz of Coke.

Lady Tialait
2011-01-30, 02:48 PM
It's not much coffee, I'd get it..but Starbucks is gross. I drink two BFC (http://www.crunchgear.com/2009/07/16/monster-bfc-officially-takes-energy-drinks-too-far/)a day normally, so the caffine isn't something that bothers me.

Nidogg
2011-01-30, 04:49 PM
Yeah I would go somewhere else for the coffee but we don't have a decent coffee maker in the common room so it's the cheapest place to go for a half decent espresso. But the tea here is better cheaper and ya get a pot of it so it's two cups for the price of one.but I am brittish so it could be different where you live

Haruki-kun
2011-01-30, 05:15 PM
I guess I'm a real oddball, then. I'm kinda fond of Starbucks. Too bad it's so unaffordable.

snoopy13a
2011-01-30, 06:52 PM
I guess I'm a real oddball, then. I'm kinda fond of Starbucks. Too bad it's so unaffordable.

No, you're not an oddball. Starbucks is very popular.

I think it is okay and I'll get it if it is the most convienent option or if I'm going with someone else. Especially since I'm not a huge fan of the speciality drinks such as espressos which many people go to Starbucks for. Plain (weakish, and I'm not afraid to admit it) coffee is what I usually like so Micky D's, Dunkin', Tim Horton's etc are all fine in my book.

Karoht
2011-01-31, 08:08 AM

Noodles is cheap here in Canada too, if you know where to look.
I can feed myself and my ladyfriend for as cheap as $10 if we go fast food. Two 'frilly' coffees is about the same. Hence why they aren't an everyday thing. Everyday coffee, (if I bought coffee everyday, which I don't) would be Tim Hortons, where I can get a bagel and a coffee for under 3 bucks. Or coffee and donut for under 3 bucks.

Pika...
2011-01-31, 06:45 PM
Starbucks is pretty expensive as is. I can not imagine paying for a gulp-sized version of their beverages. :smallconfused:

Titanium Fox
2011-02-01, 12:22 AM
You've reversed the cause-and-effect there. It's because we see them everywhere that we hate them. It allows us to feel superior to the sheeple who buy there, which is always a nice feeling.

I just hate the taste of the damn coffee. Burnt, extremely bitter blend. And not the good kind of coffee bitter either.

Amiel
2011-02-01, 12:47 AM
Speaking of which, this is what happens to cats after coffee consumption;
http://icanhascheezburger.files.wordpress.com/2010/10/0d9495d7-85b4-4a58-9d79-686bba673278.jpg
Coffee helps them to evolve.

Kris Strife
2011-02-02, 05:23 AM
I don't eat out that much though. It's a lot cheaper to eat at home.

I've always wondered how true this is when you factor in time and utilities spent storing and preparing the food. The gas is negligible because you spend that going to a restaurant too, but there's also the added cost of having to cleaning up afterward: Soap, hot water, possibly running the dishwasher every so often, not to mention replacing any utensils and cookware that gets damaged or otherwise made unusable by accidents, or because you didn't use up the leftovers before the became sentient.

Plus if you don't know how to cook well, its likely safer to eat at a restaurant, lowering the chances of potential injuries (burns, cuts, etc) and food poisoning. Or at least have a chance of compensation for it.

Dr.Epic
2011-02-02, 05:36 AM
I could use some more coffee after this all nighter. I'm hoping for a snowday, maybe I could catch some sleep.

Karoht
2011-02-02, 11:21 AM
I've always wondered how true this is when you factor in time and utilities spent storing and preparing the food. The gas is negligible because you spend that going to a restaurant too, but there's also the added cost of having to cleaning up afterward: Soap, hot water, possibly running the dishwasher every so often, not to mention replacing any utensils and cookware that gets damaged or otherwise made unusable by accidents, or because you didn't use up the leftovers before the became sentient.

Plus if you don't know how to cook well, its likely safer to eat at a restaurant, lowering the chances of potential injuries (burns, cuts, etc) and food poisoning. Or at least have a chance of compensation for it.
Unless your utilities are absurd (10 bucks for a litre of water) eating in is cheaper. On ingredients alone you save anywhere from 25% to 75% on materials cost.
Example:
Caeser salad at a restaurant costs 7$
For 7 bucks I can buy not one but two big salad kits, approximately 4-6 portions each. If I don't buy a salad kit and just buy lettuce, it's even cheaper. I can buy 3 heads of romaine lettuce for 4 dollars, and buy a caeser dressing for 3 dollars. EACH head of lettuce will give me 4-6 portions, and the bottle of dressing will last for considerably more portions than that.

The energy input to run the stove and dishwasher work out to be about 1 dollar per day (combined, over 3 square meals per day), yes you are saving on fuel to drive to the restaurant VS the store, as you visit the store once per week, rather than a restaurant once per day.

the_tick_rules
2011-02-02, 11:42 AM
Imagine the bathroom breaks that'll make you take.

Keld Denar
2011-02-02, 12:48 PM
Dear Lord...

Hmmm, a new activity for bored fraternity boys*. I've tried the milk challenge **, the saltine challenge***, and I've participated in a 2-man crave case race****. The trenta challenge would be an interesting one.

* I am/was a fraternity boy, so I can make fun of em.
** Possible. Painful, but possible. I failed, but my buddy succeeded.
*** Not possible.
**** 30 pack of beer + white castle crave case, 2 man teams. My team's record was 56 minutes. It hurts soooo good.

Syka
2011-02-02, 04:44 PM
I was surprised that the only thing I like at Starbucks (Shaken Iced Passion Tea, Sweet with light ice- basically a third of the ice MAYBE and only then 'cause it won't be cold otherwise) is also the second cheapest item. The cheapest being their hot regular coffee.

Apparently my drink comes in Trenta. Even though I normally opt for tall/grande...I...I think I may do this.

Mostly 'cause Boyfriend is always stealing some of my drink. But partly because that would last me about half the day. <3

SMEE
2011-02-02, 04:53 PM
I can't say I hate starbucks, since I only had a "black coffee" there.
Or something that they call black coffee.

I hope to find a decent mug this year, as when I have last been to the US in 2008, the closest thing to coffee I found was an espresso that was much weaker than my usual morning black coffee and a mug in Steak&Shake that almost tasted like coffee... almost, but was still too weak.

As a safety measure, I'm taking yerba mate with me, along with the gourd to make some epic chimarrão to compensate the lack of real coffee. :smalltongue:

Asta Kask
2011-02-02, 05:13 PM
You're welcome to Sweden, SMEE. We know our coffee. 3.2 cups per inhabitant per day - only Finland drinks more coffee.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2011-02-02, 07:31 PM
You're welcome to Sweden, SMEE. We know our coffee. 3.2 cups per inhabitant per day - only Finland drinks more coffee.

quantity does not necessarily equal quality.

Asta Kask
2011-02-03, 08:13 AM
No, but Swedish coffee is generally of rather high quality if I understand things correctly.

Karoht
2011-02-03, 10:27 AM
No, but Swedish coffee is generally of rather high quality if I understand things correctly.
Seconded. Swiss do decently as well, as does Finland. If I'm not mistaken, the peoples of Finland enjoy adding Kirsh to their coffee. For those not in the know, Kirsh is used in baking things such as Black Forest Cake.

Keld Denar
2011-02-03, 01:17 PM
Must be a darkness/depression thing. I know Alaskans eat more ice cream per capita than any other state in the US, mostly due to the fact that ice cream is a rudamentary treatment for depression, and winters in Alaska have been scientifically proven to cause depression (vitamin D deficiency yo!).

Seattlites drink more coffee than any other city in the US. Not surprising, given that Starbucks was born here. I wouldn't say its a depression thing though, more of a cultural thing. Or an addiction. Yea, probably an addiction.

Grendus
2011-02-03, 01:33 PM
I guess I went in the opposite direction. When I need that much energy, I reach for one of those caffeine or 5 hour energy shots. The Niacin flush isn't fun, but they do work as advertised - after you cool off you're awake for about three hours and drowsy for the remaining two.

But sleep is better, just makes you feel more awake.

Beleriphon
2011-02-06, 08:35 PM
I was... yeah.

More owned by an American company....

Karoht
2011-02-07, 06:15 PM
More owned by an American company....
I was under the impression that Tim Hortons bought Wendy's not the other way around. Though feel free to correct me.

Personally I don't care that Starbucks is american and Second Cup is Canadian, the same with Tim Hortons. However, in the Dunkin Donuts VS Tim Hortons comparision, Tim Hortons does win, in my personal experience and opinion. I mentioned this earlier in the thread, but my experience with DD was considerably less than favorable. My only explanation as to why my coffee tasted the way it did was that the person had just cleaned the machine and didn't rinse it off properly. Or they fed me raw sewage.
Starbucks in Canada VS Starbucks in the US, Starbucks Canada wins again. I ordered a Mochachino while I was in florida. It also tasted like some kind of harsh cleanser, or raw sewage.

thubby
2011-02-07, 06:23 PM
*looks at the 18 inch tall icey cup on the desk*
im not a coffee person, but if i were, that seems like the sort of thing i'd drink over the course of the entire day... maybe.

Trog
2011-02-11, 08:22 AM
That's 659.2mg of caffeine for a trenta coffee. More caffeine than a 12-pack of Mountain Dew, for the record (648mg) and almost as much as 4 Monster energy drinks (on the can it says don't drink more than 4/24 hours, iirc). Making it the King of Commercially Available Caffeinated Beverages*.

I've had 5 Monsters in 24 hours once. It... does things to you. *twitchtwitch* :smalleek:

*In the US in large chain stores according to this (http://www.energyfiend.com/the-caffeine-database). I'm not counting that bucket o' caffeine additive on that chart. And it's only king because that watery tart on the logo lobbed a scimitar at it, really, and it's no basis for a government.

EDIT:

Dude... don't mix that stuff with alcohol... <.<
Relevant Linky (http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/16/energy.drinks.alcohol.health/index.html) on the link of energy drink consumption to (potential) alcoholism. :smalleek:

And on that note I will never have a vodka red bull again. It's nice that the red bull keeps me awake to counter a couple drinks sleepiness while downtown with friends and all... but I don't need that sort of problem in my life. [/aside]

Worira
2011-02-11, 11:50 AM
That's 659.2mg of caffeine for a trenta coffee. More caffeine than a 12-pack of Mountain Dew, for the record (648mg) and almost as much as 4 Monster energy drinks (on the can it says don't drink more than 4/24 hours, iirc). Making it the King of Commercially Available Caffeinated Beverages*.

I've had 5 Monsters in 24 hours once. It... does things to you. *twitchtwitch* :smalleek:

Err... You mean 195 mg? (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-12249363)

EDIT:

Relevant Linky (http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/16/energy.drinks.alcohol.health/index.html) on the link of energy drink consumption to (potential) alcoholism. :smalleek:

And on that note I will never have a vodka red bull again. It's nice that the red bull keeps me awake to counter a couple drinks sleepiness while downtown with friends and all... but I don't need that sort of problem in my life. [/aside]

Damn, guess I'll have to stop downing Iblis Triggers. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Asdaan2WDaM)

Trog
2011-02-11, 01:00 PM
Err... You mean 195 mg? (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-12249363)
Oh. Whoops. I thought their regular coffee came in that size, not iced coffee. Still, their coffee packs a whallup.

EDIT: And tastes gross and burnt. :smallyuk:

Jack Squat
2011-02-11, 10:20 PM
I think their Pike Place and Italian Roast blends taste fine, though they tend to be a little watery when get them at Starbucks. Don't care for any of the others, and especially not their spiced blends - but I can't complain too much since I generally get them for free.