PDA

View Full Version : Computer issues

Squark
2011-01-22, 11:37 AM
So, recently, my computer has been doing, well, this
<Image scrubbed due to screen stretchiness, If the problem comes back I'll find a way to shrink them and repost them>

Now, both my dad and I suspect it's a graphics card problem (because when you acess the monitor menu, that shows up fine). Does anyone have any suggestions for helping out? I have windows vista and a Nvidia geforce 9800 gt- If anyone can explain how to get my computer to tell me more, I'd appreciate it.

Barring that, what graphics card do you reccomend?

*This problem only started showing up once I installed Lego Harry Potter Years 1-4, by the way. No idea why.

KuReshtin
2011-01-22, 01:31 PM
Holy screen stretcher, Squark!

If you could shrink the image down a bit, that would probably help a great deal.
I can see the double icons you're getting, but it's difficult to get a complete overview of the screen if the image is too big.

First thing >I'd recommend is to uninstall and then reinstall the video card drivers.

Check to see if you get the same problem in safe mode (press F8 at bootup). If you don't get the same issue then, it's more likely to be a driver issue than anything else.

Squark
2011-01-22, 03:38 PM
Oh. Wow.

I had no idea the photos where that big.

Well, I'm deleting them, as the problem has gone away at the moment. Maybe I just needed to clean the dust out. If the problem returns I'll try reinstalling the drivers, then.

Also, I had no idea my screen was so dirty.

AlterForm
2011-01-22, 03:44 PM
I'll second that thought that the drivers are fault, here. Uninstall/Reinstall/Roll back if necessary.

Otherwise, the card might be dead/dying. If you have an onboard graphics processor, try switching to that for a while and see if you can reproduce the issue. Also try swapping in another discrete graphics card if you can and attempt the same.

eidreff
2011-01-24, 05:02 PM
What they said plus..

If you have a utility that allows you to measure the temperature of your PC components that might be worth checking. Overheating might have upset you graphics card, in which case dust removal would be a good start, and checking that fans are working properly.

Squark
2011-01-26, 05:27 PM
Doesn't seem to be a heat problem, as the thing happens even after a twenty four hour period of inactivity. I'm going to try reinstalling the driver, but... well, in order to do that, I need to uninstall my driver, right? How do I do that?

EDIT: Okay, I got the video card uninstalling. What should I do if;

a) The problem isn't with the videocard?

b) The problem is the video card, and reinstalling the card and driver doesn't help?

c) If worse comes to worse and the card needs replacing, what do you reccomend? Ideally I don't want ot break the bank, but I imagine these things don't come cheep.

(And the graphic problem shows up the second the computer starts up, before I have a chance to go into safemode. And the safemode activation thing is even more corrupted visually. I can't make head nor tails of it)

tyckspoon
2011-01-26, 07:21 PM
c) If worse comes to worse and the card needs replacing, what do you reccomend? Ideally I don't want ot break the bank, but I imagine these things don't come cheep.

9800s or current-gen equivalent run $100-130. Don't know if that's bank-breaking to you or not, but that's what you'll be looking at for replacement cost.

Squark
2011-01-26, 08:26 PM
Well, what I'm really asking is should I just replace the card, or do should I take the oppurtunity to updgrade the card.

Also, should the process really be taking 2-3 hours? Because that's how long I've had the stupid uninstall going.

KuReshtin
2011-01-27, 04:48 AM
(And the graphic problem shows up the second the computer starts up, before I have a chance to go into safemode. And the safemode activation thing is even more corrupted visually. I can't make head nor tails of it)

If that's the case, it's got nothing to do with the driver of the video card.

The driver only kicks in when Windows starts loading, so if you get the problem before then, it's not a driverissue.
Have you tried with another monitor, just to verify that it's not the monitor that's gone wonky?
if you get the same error on another monitor, then the graphics card is gone and needs replacing.

Obrysii
2011-01-30, 10:02 AM
Also, should the process really be taking 2-3 hours? Because that's how long I've had the stupid uninstall going.

I've never had anything take 2 - 3 hours to uninstall.

Sounds like you have major hardware issues. When was the last time you took a can of compressed air to the innards of the computer?

ericgrau
2011-01-30, 01:09 PM
If your motherboard has onboard video next time it happens you could turn off the computer, disconnect the video card, reboot, see if the problem goes away, shut down, reconnect the video card, see if the problem comes back.

Though I've rarely known internal digital hardware to fail (peripherals and power supplies is another story). Often it's the drivers or something similar like others are suggesting. Or the software. You might want to google if other people are having that problem with the lego game and see if there's a patch to fix it.

Obrysii
2011-01-31, 08:01 AM
If your motherboard has onboard video next time it happens you could turn off the computer, disconnect the video card, reboot, see if the problem goes away, shut down, reconnect the video card, see if the problem comes back.

Though I've rarely known internal digital hardware to fail (peripherals and power supplies is another story). Often it's the drivers or something similar like others are suggesting. Or the software. You might want to google if other people are having that problem with the lego game and see if there's a patch to fix it.

Hard drive is usually a major cause of failure.

That said, thinking about it - if you're having massive lag issues and the computer tends to have issues booting or crashes often, and you're running windows, it could be the video card is overheating.

Video card drivers are tied pretty deep into Windows, and when the video card itself crashes, the drivers crash too and usually take Windows with it.

So clean out the case! In a typical house, a computer should be opened up and cleaned out with canned air (purchased at a local hardware store) monthly.