PDA

View Full Version : Gestalt Astral Deva build help please!

Sims
2011-01-22, 02:50 PM
Hey community! I know how much you guys love these "help me build" threads, and I was hoping you could help me out with this.

See, my DM wants us to make Gestalt Lv 21 characters. I really want to be an Astral Deva (obviously taking the monster class), but they aren't very good at later levels. I was wondering if you guys could recommend any things to Gestalt with.

Unfortuneatly I only Have the basic classes of 3.5 (Players Handbook) and the Complete Warrior/Adventurer. (I also have the monster manual/savage species, but thats only for the Astral Deva stuff.)

Is going Cleric a good Idea? (I'm also prolly gonna take that etra 1 level in Ninja just for the Wis to AC boost) Or should I go Fighter?

Btw my Alignment IS NOT going to be Lawful.

gbprime
2011-01-22, 02:57 PM
Fighter, Crusader, or Warblade.

The Deva has great skillpoints, movement, and AWESOME defensive abilities. What it doesn't have is the ability to bring the pain. Fighter, Crusader, or Warblade will fill you up with the feats and manuvers you need to really knock heads, and the full BAB plus HP covers the Deva's other soft spots.

And don't forget to insert your favorite full BAB prestige class. :smallsmile:

Akal Saris
2011-01-22, 03:40 PM
Simple build: Probably just straight fighter or barbarian on one side is the best with that book set.

Complex build: On levels where astral deva gives you +1 BAB, take a different class, like monk for wis to AC and evasion, or rogue for some sneak attack and even better skills. On levels where you get no BAB from astral deva, take fighter, hexblade, or barbarian.

For prestige classes, you might look into dervish or tempest if you can substitute Flyby Attack for the spring attack chain of feats. Knight of the Chalice would also be thematically appropriate for a deva.

Jack_Simth
2011-01-22, 03:55 PM
Hey community! I know how much you guys love these "help me build" threads, and I was hoping you could help me out with this.

See, my DM wants us to make Gestalt Lv 21 characters. I really want to be an Astral Deva (obviously taking the monster class), but they aren't very good at later levels. I was wondering if you guys could recommend any things to Gestalt with.

Unfortuneatly I only Have the basic classes of 3.5 (Players Handbook) and the Complete Warrior/Adventurer. (I also have the monster manual/savage species, but thats only for the Astral Deva stuff.)

Is going Cleric a good Idea? (I'm also prolly gonna take that etra 1 level in Ninja just for the Wis to AC boost) Or should I go Fighter?

Btw my Alignment IS NOT going to be Lawful.

Well, you don't strictly need a Monster Class for an Astral Deva (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/angel.htm#angelAstralDeva) at 21st - they're ECL 20 (12 HD, 8 LA), so that's not really an issue.

At 21st, you're low-Epic; Yes, you want Full Casting. Whether that's Cleric, Cloistered Cleric, Sorcerer, Wizard, Beguiler, Druid, or Favored Soul doesn't matter overly much (Charisma will be slightly higher than the others, by +2... no big deal), but at those levels, you'll need Full Casting to avoid being negated by certain things.

Myth
2011-01-24, 06:33 AM
Astral Devas are fun to throw at the party or Planar Bind, what with their Stun-on-strike and all, but that's absolutely superficial at Epic levels.

Whomever suggested Fighter or Barbarian don't know what Epic levels are about, or have tremendous faith in your DM.

The basic rule is that melee combat at Epic levels = miserable fail. Epic Spellcasting and regular 9th level spells = complete ownage. Since you can be a Wizard/Incantatrix // Factotum and just cast Extended Shapechange to spend your adventuring hours in Planetar form (much cooler than Astral Deva), and still be able to cast as a full Wizard, have all the usual benefits, plus break the action economy as a Factotum AND have versatility.

Of course that's completely broken compared to a simple Fighter. Your choice.