PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Fast Forward via Plane Shift?

gbprime
2011-01-22, 07:10 PM
I'm looking for a list. Are there any published planes where time runs faster than it does on the generic Prime Material?

I ask because my PC in a game needs to retrain several class levels into a PrC, and will need about 6 weeks to do so. Only the Armies of Darkness (TM) are already on the march, and sitting in a lotus position for a month and a half while they do seems the wrong thing to do, even for a DM-created PrC that drops into my lap at the last minute...

So... can I solve my issues with Plane Shift (cleric CL 12), or should I look to the party's 12th level Artificer for the extra time I need? (and if so... how?)

Endarire
2011-01-22, 07:21 PM
Eberron Campaign Setting has Dal Quor, which is 10x as fast as the Prime Material.

Saint GoH
2011-01-22, 07:24 PM
Pay your local lvl 17 wizard for a Genesis spell you are allowed to have access too that moves 200 times faster then the Material Plane?

Waker
2011-01-22, 07:29 PM
The only planes that I know of without spending a great deal of time digging are the Planes of Temporal Energy and the Far Realm (both are in Manual of the Planes). When you leave the Temporal plane you need to roll to determine how much time passed. You could end up spending 6 weeks on the Temporal Plane and find only a few minutes have passed on the Material Plane or years have instead passed. As for the Far Realm, no time passes there, but it's the Far Realm...

Private-Prinny
2011-01-22, 07:40 PM
Eberron Campaign Setting has Dal Quor, which is 10x as fast as the Prime Material.

This is probably your best option, since 6 weeks there last about 4 days in the Material Plane.

Pay your local lvl 17 wizard for a Genesis spell you are allowed to have access too that moves 200 times faster then the Material Plane?

In the week it takes to cast Genesis, you'd already be to Dal Quor and back with three days to spare.

The only planes that I know of without spending a great deal of time digging are the Planes of Temporal Energy and the Far Realm (both are in Manual of the Planes). When you leave the Temporal plane you need to roll to determine how much time passed. You could end up spending 6 weeks on the Temporal Plane and find only a few minutes have passed on the Material Plane or years have instead passed.

If he gets really lucky (or uses DM fiat), he can do those 6 weeks in about 4 minutes. If he's really unlucky, he gets catapulted more than 1600 years into the future.

gbprime
2011-01-22, 07:57 PM
Random time catapult... pass.

Far Realm... not on a bet.

Dal Quor sounds perfect. Eberron source material is already approved for the campaign.

And to top it off... it's 3 minutes to game time. Thanks! :smallwink:

Waker
2011-01-22, 08:00 PM
If he gets really lucky (or uses DM fiat), he can do those 6 weeks in about 4 minutes. If he's really unlucky, he gets catapulted more than 1600 years into the future.
Oh I know. But I figured that once the question got asked, there would be twenty posters saying "Demiplane" so I figured I'd at least look for the planes he asked for. But hey you gotta look at the upside to this. Unless the goal of the enemies was to destroy the world (I mean literally, not put in a new social order) they are either long dead or resting on their laurels when out of nowhere a group of heroes show up and start taking names. I think that would be a hilarious story twist for a party to roll with.

Morquard
2011-01-22, 08:24 PM
Unless the goal of the enemies was to destroy the world (I mean literally, not put in a new social order) they are either long dead or resting on their laurels when out of nowhere a group of heroes show up and start taking names. I think that would be a hilarious story twist for a party to roll with.
Someone else is long dead too: The guy that hired them to stop the bad guys. So they won't get paid. That's a real motivation blocker for any advernture group :)

Waker
2011-01-22, 08:27 PM
Well, sure if the party was opposing the enemy for monetary gain, bummer. But most adventurers just view getting paid as icing on the cake. I mean, much of their money comes from the spoils of war.
I actually really like the idea of plopping a party in the distant future, I think I'll fiddle around with the idea a bit and throw it at some party later.

Ernir
2011-01-22, 08:34 PM
Problem: It's not possible to reach Dal Quor with Plane Shift. The planar connection was severed.

Dal Quor is always remote in relation to the Material Plane. The only way to reach Dal Quor from the Material Plane is through the psychic projection of dreaming

Czin
2011-01-22, 08:37 PM
Problem: It's not possible to reach Dal Quor with Plane Shift. The planar connection was severed.

I'm afraid you're a little late to warn him about that.

Waker
2011-01-22, 08:51 PM
Well, we can only hope that he remembered my suggestion and is now a millennium and a half into the future. Or that maybe the DM has forgotten about the severed connection to the plane. I'm hoping for the first one myself.

gbprime
2011-01-22, 11:27 PM
Actually, with my cleric's abilities and blowing a Legend Lore from my Ring of Lore, the DM ruled that I could get to the demiplane. DM Houserule... clerics start with 1 domain. At level 5 they get a 2nd domain and spontaneous casting for the first, and a 3rd domain plus spontaneous for domain #2 at level 10. So with that plus a few contemplative levels, I have Dream (spontaneous), Water (spontaneous), Mind, and Death.

He's got issues. :smallwink:

And the DM had been itching to give us a run in with quori-like beings anyway. Heck of a fight. Good XP _and_ good training. Bonus. :smallbiggrin: