PDA

View Full Version : "Cheating" Dice

Sims
2011-01-22, 07:57 PM
{Scrubbed}

Waker
2011-01-22, 08:03 PM
Are you asking what you think a DM catching a cheating player would respond with? Were I to catch a player using fixed dice I would either severely reprimand them and go on with the game or potentially kick the player out of the game entirely. It would depend on my mood and the player.

Loki Eremes
2011-01-22, 08:07 PM
i if were the DM?
i would take it and use it against him from then on :smallbiggrin:

Sims
2011-01-22, 08:09 PM
i if were the DM?

Over my crusty, crispy, battered, beaten, twisted, halfling carcus!

Czin
2011-01-22, 08:09 PM
{Scrub the post, scrub the quote}

I'd retroactively turn half of all the twenties you got with that dice into ones, which would probably result in your character being very, very dead. Second time you do it, you're gone and I will send reccomendations to every other table top role playing group I know of that you're not someone to be trusted and should be kept far, far, far away from their tables.

tcrudisi
2011-01-22, 08:11 PM
As a player, it's easy to see when another player is cheating... but I've done enough D&D that I know what numbers are supposed to be beside the 20 and what numbers are supposed to be beside the 1. I tend to be the math person at the table, so I watch everyone's rolls to make sure they are adding in all their modifiers correctly.

If I saw another player using a cheating dice, I would call them out on it right then and there.

Morquard
2011-01-22, 08:11 PM
i if were the DM?
I'd make a dice with 20s on EVERY side and use that against that player. I mean he seems to be ok with cheating so he shouldn't complain.

Seriously though, don't do it, it's a **** move.

Pink
2011-01-22, 08:13 PM
As a GM, if I was feeling particularly bitter that day, might be something along the lines of "So, you want to cheat in a RPG huh? Well, here's the thing, only the GM is allowed to cheat. So, since you want to be the GM. *Hand over screen and pull out a character sheet and start rolling up a character* I'm thinking I'll be a dwarf wizard. Should I pop in now or do you have a place in mind I should join the party?"

Again, that's a more bitter tone. In theory, I really don't see a point in cheating at a tabletop RPG. At best...okay, combat is easy. At worst, by doing so without telling anyone, you rather risk hurting feelings and friendships and being ousted from a group.

If a player were to cheat in my game, I'm more likely on average to just ask sincerely, why. And if it's causing a problem with other players, ask them to stop so everybody can be on the same field. If it's causing problems for other players and they don't stop, they may very well be getting the boot, because I don't like dealing with problem players after I've already talked with them and given them a chance. If they're ruining the fun for others, they shouldn't be at the table.

But if nobody was bothered by it, well, maybe I just continue as usually, maybe I just fudge stuff when it's concerning that player to make up for their own cheating dice.

Still, this sounds like a stupid move.

rayne_dragon
2011-01-22, 08:14 PM
If any of my players were ever to cheat I'd be sorely tempted to kick them out of my game. Even if they did stay there would be reprecussions:

1. Possibly they would not be allowed to roll for themselves for a period of time.
2. I would check all their dice at the start of each game session to make sure they aren't rigged.
3. All their rolls would need to be observed by me, or at least someone more trustworthy than them.
4. I might fudge die rolls against the player to the same degree they were cheating. As in if they had a die with an extra 20 instead of a 1 I would treat any monster rolling 1s against them as having rolled a 20 instead.

At the same time I'd like to find out what, if anything, I'm doing that is making someone need to cheat and if there was actually something resembling a valid reason, correct my behavior.

cowsay
2011-01-22, 08:19 PM
What's the fun of cheating? It's a game. The worst thing that happens is that your character dies. If you just play by the rules and with your own creativity, you'll have more fun when you didn't resort to cheating and your character survives.

Were I the DM, I would turn the tables on you for a while treating 1-3 as 1s for your character's rolls and I'd treat 18-20 as natural 20s against you. I think it would give you a sense of what the other players are experiencing when you're stealing the glory at their gaming expense.

Telasi
2011-01-22, 08:27 PM
If one of my players were using rigged dice, I would order that individual to leave. Cheating in such a manner undermines the basic principles of the game, and there can be no tolerance for such actions.

Absynthyne
2011-01-22, 08:31 PM
What is the purpose of cheating at a tabletop rpg?
Are you going to....win? :smalltongue:

Cheating in the game I am currently involved in results in level drain, and has been enforced more than once!

Iceforge
2011-01-22, 08:31 PM
I'd be in the "ask the player to leave" camp of DM's in this regard.

I just would have no trust in the player after such a stunt

Sims
2011-01-22, 08:35 PM
I guess I do agree. Haha, when you survive with real rolls, its more exciting.

Morquard
2011-01-22, 08:38 PM
I just would have no trust in the player after such a stunt
That's the big thing you should consider. Even if you just do it once for fun, if you get caught than every time you roll good there will be some doubt if it was for real. Or which of your exploits till that time had been real and what cheated.

Callista
2011-01-22, 08:44 PM
{Scrubbed}

Sims
2011-01-22, 08:49 PM
{Scrubbed}

Czin
2011-01-22, 08:56 PM
{Scrubbed}

Ernir
2011-01-22, 09:28 PM
I'd just give them the "Dude, how dumb are you?" look, ask them to use a real die, and get on with the game.

Christopher K.
2011-01-22, 09:58 PM
As a DM, I'd probably remember how many 20's you'd rolled, then say that each 20 rolled past that counts as a 1 until you've rolled as many 1's as 20's. Then, if I caught you again, I'd cut out your pancreas and staple it to your throat have to ask you to leave until you can handle the game more maturely

Geddoe
2011-01-22, 10:07 PM
Since I am the GM, if I find out about the cheating(after asking you to stop the first time), I just ignore your rolls. Everything you try just fails in the most embarrassing and demeaning way possible for you. I tell everybody else in the group about this rule, and why it is happening to you.

I am the GM, I can just cheat better than you.

Heliomance
2011-01-22, 10:09 PM
To be honest, I think people are taking this a bit seriously. Sure, it's kinda lame to use a rigged die, but I don't see it's seriously worth kicking someone out over. I've been occasionally guilty of, when rolling badly of an evening, rerolling an unwanted result, and I'm sure many other people have been. Yes, it's not something I'm proud of, and I don't do it often, but I expect I'll do it again. Unless the fact that one person is rolling better than everyone else is causing issues, what's the problem? It makes that person feel good, and it doesn't particularly hurt anyone else, so why make a big deal of it?

Dr Bwaa
2011-01-22, 10:20 PM
You don't have to kick someone out for using a rigged d20. Just make sure they roll in the open, and then treat all their rolls as (21-<what they rolled>). Good to go-- and they'll probably switch dice soon.And then you steal the dice and use them against that player.

EDIT:
I just ignore your rolls. Everything you try just fails in the most embarrassing and demeaning way possible for you.

Although this is pretty funny, too.

valadil
2011-01-22, 10:27 PM
Honestly? I'd punt them. I don't do the adversarial referee thing. I treat the players like adults and they act accordingly. I have no interest in babysitting morons.

The Big Dice
2011-01-22, 10:29 PM
I've seen someone use one of the D20s that's numbered from 0 to 9 twice for half a session without anyone noticing. And there was a guy in my group who had a dice that was distinctly uneven in shape.

We'd threaten to microwave the uneven dice, and the guy was banned from every using it, and the couple of dice he had that were the same colour as it, at the table. But it wasn't a huge thing. Just something we could rib him about from time to time.

"Did you roll that crit on the white dice?"

"No, it was the yellow one, I swear!"

And it dodn't help that the guy in question was one of those people that the dice love. The kind of guy that plays halflings with a 16 in Stength because it was the joint lowest thing he rolled.

Dr Bwaa
2011-01-22, 10:37 PM
I've seen someone use one of the D20s that's numbered from 0 to 9 twice for half a session without anyone noticing.

Sucks to be that guy :smallfrown: It's like those times you realize your d20 is rolling farther than usual, and then you discover you've been rolling a d12 all night.

Brendan
2011-01-22, 10:45 PM
honestly its just kind of a dumb thing to do to use loaded dice. you're wasting your money to get a little sense of superiority in a game that is neither win or lose. thats just plain stupid. you don't even get anything out of it other than a little thrill of sneaking a {Scrubbed} move past a DM.
I understand rerolling a d20 on a really bad night of rolls (I confess to that sin) but to [I]deliberately spend money[I] on just a petty little advantage like that seems entirely pointless.

shadow_archmagi
2011-01-22, 11:28 PM
Cheating? I'd probably roll my eyes at him and order someone else to double check his math.

Of course, no one at our table is any good at math, or in the habit of obeying orders, but he'd hopefully feel like he was being watched and therefore not do it.

tcrudisi
2011-01-22, 11:34 PM
I've seen someone use one of the D20s that's numbered from 0 to 9 twice for half a session without anyone noticing. And there was a guy in my group who had a dice that was distinctly uneven in shape.

How do you win D&D? You use that dice and still hit every time. Now THAT is being a good optimizer/min-maxer. :smallcool:

Jay R
2011-01-22, 11:40 PM
He's out. Instantly, and without question.

He may be a nice guy, a friend to all and a brother to all the little animals in the forest. But somebody who will cheat on me once will do it again, and I can't be bothered to be always on guard.

It's not "kinda lame" to use cheating dice; it's a refusal to follow the rules. He has stated, in clear unambiguous terms, that he is not playing the game the rest of us are playing. I accept his decision.

Gnoman
2011-01-22, 11:52 PM
I might allow the guy to stay in the game, but his character would be hit by Divine Disintegrate.

dextercorvia
2011-01-23, 12:23 AM
I might allow the character to stay in the game, but his player would be hit by Divine Disintegrate a DMG.

Fixed that for you. Why punish the innocent bystander.

Paseo H
2011-01-23, 01:04 AM
Eh, I'm not feeling very creative today, so...

Overwrought, belabored statement of understandable indignation with cheating. Bombastic, overbearing declaration of the inherent supremacy of DMs over players.

Claudius Maximus
2011-01-23, 01:29 AM
That post actually made me angry, and I don't even agree with the people you're insulting.

To be constructive, if a player were cheating to a serious extent in my game, I'd be pretty disappointed in them, and in myself for being a bad enough DM to fail to elicit respect from my players. I'd probably let them stay though, depending on the reasons they give me.

averagejoe
2011-01-23, 03:37 AM
The Mod They Call Me: Thread locked.