PDA

View Full Version : Wielding Water (3.5, Pathfinder)

Scarlet-Devil
2011-01-22, 08:14 PM
The PCs in a campaign I'm DMing are going on a sea voyage soon. I want to create a really memorable challenge for them, which will probably involve an attack by a water-themed assassin (or assassins). Basically, I want advice on a build, and a compilation of every spell that uses water offensively (or defensively for that matter). Ideas I have floating around include the Wavekeeper (Stormwrack) Prc, certain spells from Stormwrack, and that one spell from Oriental Adventures (updated with a different name in CD, I think) that creates a blast of water that's more powerful if you're near a large body of water.

I'd also love to hear some creative uses for Create Water (it does summon rather a lot of water after all); one I came up with that might not be RAW exactly was to quicken Create Water and use that 'large source of water' instantly to cast Waterspout or something, or maybe somehow freeze it in midair to hinder movement or even trap characters.

druid91
2011-01-22, 09:22 PM
Use the sandstorm version. Create/destroy water.

With enough of a caster level behind it it has the potential to be a real pain to smaller ships when suddenly the water beneath it vanishes, it falls and then is swamped as the surrounding water flows in.

Starbuck_II
2011-01-22, 09:52 PM
The PCs in a campaign I'm DMing are going on a sea voyage soon. I want to create a really memorable challenge for them, which will probably involve an attack by a water-themed assassin (or assassins). Basically, I want advice on a build, and a compilation of every spell that uses water offensively (or defensively for that matter). Ideas I have floating around include the Wavekeeper (Stormwrack) Prc, certain spells from Stormwrack, and that one spell from Oriental Adventures (updated with a different name in CD, I think) that creates a blast of water that's more powerful if you're near a large body of water.

Pathfinder has a few in APG:
Breath water
Hydralic Push
Slipstream
Touch of the Sea
Hydralic Torrent
Aqueous Orb
Lily pad Stride
Geyser
life bubble
river of water
vortex
seamantle
Tsunami
World Wave
Sleet Storm?
Fliud Form
freezing sphere
Horrid Wilting

Scarlet-Devil
2011-01-22, 10:27 PM
Use the sandstorm version. Create/destroy water.

With enough of a caster level behind it it has the potential to be a real pain to smaller ships when suddenly the water beneath it vanishes, it falls and then is swamped as the surrounding water flows in.

An interesting idea, but in this case the characters will probably be on the same ship as their enemy :smallamused:.

I should mention that I am also accepting ideas for the encounter itself, i.e. how to use the spells interestingly etc.

One idea I had, if they're fighting above deck and the enemy(ies) is a Wavekeeper, or just a druid/shaman (OA), was to have the assassin use waterspout or that 'raging river' spell from OA to blast characters off the ship, separating them and forcing them to contend with the caster's animal companion or summoned creatures in the water.

Silva Stormrage
2011-01-22, 10:33 PM
If you want homebrew there is this. It is a avatar D20 project done by people over on brilliant gameologists i believe. If you aren't familiar with Avatar the Last Airbender it involves 4 "benders" that each control a classical element. The Waterbender in it is very flavorful and powerful.

http://theanteheroes.com/Avatar%20d20/BendingChapter.pdf

Hope this helps :smallbiggrin:

Dr Bwaa
2011-01-22, 10:43 PM
I noticed this thread because just plain old Control Water is one of the worst things to adjudicate ever, IMO, so I wanted to be sure you understood that. Go read the spell description (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/controlWater.htm), carefully, and think about all the ways your players are going to make your head ache by varying uses of this spell. I'm not saying don't do it; sea voyages are super fun and tend to be full of memorable moments whether you want it or not-- but I would make sure to work out a very good answer for yourself on how that spell works in various situations before it gets going (if one of your PCs is capable of casting it, anyway).

Scarlet-Devil
2011-01-23, 12:04 AM
I noticed this thread because just plain old Control Water is one of the worst things to adjudicate ever, IMO, so I wanted to be sure you understood that. Go read the spell description (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/controlWater.htm), carefully, and think about all the ways your players are going to make your head ache by varying uses of this spell. I'm not saying don't do it; sea voyages are super fun and tend to be full of memorable moments whether you want it or not-- but I would make sure to work out a very good answer for yourself on how that spell works in various situations before it gets going (if one of your PCs is capable of casting it, anyway).

Yeah, thankfully no one in the party is capable of that yet :smallcool:. The party consists of a human warblade, a dwarf crusader (basically the party leader, rolled very well for ability scores), a fire elf duskblade, and a human(?) sorcerer. Plus one wildcard; a guy who has to make a new character (he likes to play skill-monkeys).