PDA

View Full Version : Epic Spell For Final Boss

Silva Stormrage
2011-01-23, 12:45 AM
(Nathan, Tommy, Gabe Stay Out)

Hello, I was tweaking the final boss for my 3.5 campaign and after a few adjustments I noticed he only had one epic spell to be used in combat and it is more of an aura that lasts all day so it doesn't need to be cast twice. I really want it to have 2 in combat epic spells to be used against the party.

The boss:
21st Undead Sorceror/Favored Soul Gestalt focusing on Necromancy, AOE Debuffs and Frost Spells.
His general tactics are slowly draining enemies constitution and causing nauseation before finishing them off in either melee or save or dies.
Built as a gish so any meleeish epic spell would be fine too.

Players:
20th level Druid/Sorc Arcane Hierophant
20th Spelltheif
20th Cleric of Pelor

I am well aware that the epic spell system for 3.5 is really really messed up. If you don't want to use that system you can just make up anything that is relatively balanced for an epic spell and I will just call it an epic spell :smallbiggrin:.

Thank you all for your help.

Antonok
2011-01-23, 12:52 AM
Hmm, big force cage with a spell effect attached that nauseates as the epic spell, then cast multiple heavy damage over time spells in/around the cage?

Godskook
2011-01-23, 01:15 AM
Eidolon, to me, is a great epic spell to hand to a BBEG. It gives him longevity and potency.

And opens up some incredibly awesome lines such as:

As party defeats first Eidolon:
"If at first you don't succeed, try try again"

Upon casting Eidolon in-combat cause some minions just died:
"When you want something done right, do it yourself"

Silva Stormrage
2011-01-23, 01:40 AM
Eidolon, to me, is a great epic spell to hand to a BBEG. It gives him longevity and potency.

And opens up some incredibly awesome lines such as:

As party defeats first Eidolon:
"If at first you don't succeed, try try again"

Upon casting Eidolon in-combat cause some minions just died:
"When you want something done right, do it yourself"

Okay that one is awesome. I have no idea how I didn't see that before. If anyone else has any ideas please still post them but I will be going with that one right now.

Arcane_Secrets
2011-01-23, 05:48 AM
What's his Spellcraft?

AslanCross
2011-01-23, 07:46 AM
While not an epic spell, you can look for inspiration in Death Dragon (SpC). IMO it's one of the best gish buffs---at-will Cure Critical Wounds cast as a 7th-level spell, in addition to basically being encased in necro-energy-powered dragon bone power armor.

Make an epic version of that.

Silva Stormrage
2011-01-23, 01:38 PM
What's his Spellcraft?

Spell craft check is 71.

While not an epic spell, you can look for inspiration in Death Dragon (SpC). IMO it's one of the best gish buffs---at-will Cure Critical Wounds cast as a 7th-level spell, in addition to basically being encased in necro-energy-powered dragon bone power armor.

Make an epic version of that.

Hmm thats a good idea too. I actually might be able to use that too since its a buff spell :smallbiggrin:. I always glanced over the spell because it stops all spells with somatic components. Now what would an epic version of that spell have?
Replace Inflict Critical with Harm:
The Fear is probably still good, maybe up the radius.
Needs wings :smallbiggrin:
Probably remove the penalty for Casting Spells probably making his hands claws or more powerful claws (this boss has draconic template).
Add a level drain for every time he hits a target with natural or manufactured weapons.
Last for a day.

That seems good Ill probably use this too.

AslanCross
2011-01-23, 06:01 PM
Yeah, I used to gloss over it too, but after I tried it out once I thought it was awesome. In my case the BBEG kept his scroll of it in reserve until his fortunate fate revived him after his first death.

Arcane_Secrets
2011-01-25, 04:14 PM
No cheese involved (hopefully).

Hypothermic Blast
[Necromancy] [Evocation]
Spellcraft DC: 79
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: 60 ft. radius
Duration: 40 minutes
Saving Throw: Yes
Spell Resistance: Yes
To Develop: 711,000 gp; 15 days; 28,440 XP. Seeds: energy (DC 19), afflict (DC 14) Factors: add 20d6 points of damage (DC +40), -6 penalty to Dex (+24 DC), increase duration by 100% (+2 DC), change target to area (+10 DC), change area to 20 ft. radius (+4 DC), increase radius 300% (+6 DC), 1 action casting time (+20 DC) Mitigating Factors: burn 5,000 XP (-50 DC)

When cast, the hypothermic blast unleashes necromantically infused cold which inflicts 30d6 points of damage and furthermore saps the strength of those beings caught within the area affected, dealing 7 points of temporary Dex damage which lasts for the next 40 minutes until the cold wears off.
XP Cost: 5,000 XP