PDA

View Full Version : Mutants and Masterminds for One.

Otherworld Odd
2011-01-23, 02:54 AM
So recently, a friend and I have decided to run Mutants and Masterminds with just her and I. In true hero fashion, it's going to be solo unless other friends decide to join. I'm going to be DM'ing this and she's playing.

The thing is, how would I go by making an adventure for just one person without it being stale and boring or on the other side overwhelming?

Zonugal
2011-01-23, 03:06 AM
I have always had the experience of solo games being perhaps even easier to plot out & run because of the level of detail that can be given. Initially I would have the player give you as much background and character information as possible. Literally everything can be used to construct a compelling story as you only have to focus on a single individual.

I might also look at films as they tend to follow only one protagonist.

Deadmeat.GW
2011-01-23, 06:45 AM
Firstly, making an extensive plot for a sngle player is a lot easier, you and the player need to talk things through and get an extensive background for the character and the likely behaviour and compulsions of said character in a specific situation.

Another thing is that since there is only one character as a GM you can make a lot of npc's which are rather detailed and ultimately completely disposable.

Have npc's die left, right, center in certain situations so that the player is aware of specific dangers.
It is an easy way to highlight how powerfull a BBEG is.
Alos, by having these die in specific ways gives hints for the pc to avoid the typical pitfalls for fighting the BBEG or his lieutenants in a fashion that would kill them if the player would not have found out (in case that your player has a specific set of powers he can then go and find allies that have the skills and abilities he needs).

Otherworld Odd
2011-01-23, 10:59 PM
I have a question for you guys. My player asked me it today and I figured I'd just ask it here instead of making a new thread.

For instance, a frag grenade has an equipment cost of 15. Is that just for one or is that an unlimited supply? Will my player have to put 3 points into the equipment feat every time she wants another grenade?

Talkkno
2011-01-23, 11:03 PM
Are you talking about M&M2e or M&M3e/DCA?

Otherworld Odd
2011-01-23, 11:12 PM
Are you talking about M&M2e or M&M3e/DCA?

My bad, second edition.

I'm just confused now though. I was doing some research in the book and looked at the Costumed Hero archetype for reference. He only has Equipment 4 (20 points for equipment) yet he has Flash-bangs, Stun grenades, Smoke bombs, and boomerangs. How does this happen?

Okay, assuming the grenade are powers. But why does it have 4 ranks in equipment?

RandomLunatic
2011-01-24, 12:05 AM
I have a question for you guys. My player asked me it today and I figured I'd just ask it here instead of making a new thread.

For instance, a frag grenade has an equipment cost of 15. Is that just for one or is that an unlimited supply? Will my player have to put 3 points into the equipment feat every time she wants another grenade?

The default is unlimited grenades*. To get a limited stock of the things, buy them with the Unreliable (Limited) uses flaw**, which gives you five grenades for 12 EP (2.1 PP).

My bad, second edition.

I'm just confused now though. I was doing some research in the book and looked at the Costumed Hero archetype for reference. He only has Equipment 4 (20 points for equipment) yet he has Flash-bangs, Stun grenades, Smoke bombs, and boomerangs. How does this happen?

Okay, assuming the grenade are powers. But why does it have 4 ranks in equipment?

The various weapons are alternate powers of each other. See page 108 for the explanation of how APs work, and then optionally see the Utility Belt on 137 for an example.

*-Although, being equipment, do not feel shy to have the player run out as a complication (meaning give 'em a Hero Point for it) if (s)he has been abusing them.

**-Page 115.

Otherworld Odd
2011-01-24, 02:13 AM
The default is unlimited grenades*. To get a limited stock of the things, buy them with the Unreliable (Limited) uses flaw**, which gives you five grenades for 12 EP (2.1 PP).

The various weapons are alternate powers of each other. See page 108 for the explanation of how APs work, and then optionally see the Utility Belt on 137 for an example.

*-Although, being equipment, do not feel shy to have the player run out as a complication (meaning give 'em a Hero Point for it) if (s)he has been abusing them.

**-Page 115.

So if I'm understanding this correctly, he spent 4 points on Equipment to get Flash-Bangs, then used alternate powers to get the other equipments for essentially 1 point each? I didn't realize alternate power could be used to get equipment as well.

If I'm wrong, please correct me, but if not thank you =D. Tremendous help.

Beleriphon
2011-01-24, 10:57 PM
So if I'm understanding this correctly, he spent 4 points on Equipment to get Flash-Bangs, then used alternate powers to get the other equipments for essentially 1 point each? I didn't realize alternate power could be used to get equipment as well.

If I'm wrong, please correct me, but if not thank you =D. Tremendous help.

That's exactly how it works. Still all Equipment Points, it's how the utility belt is constructed as well.