PDA

View Full Version : Infinite Free Crafting?

Mr.Bookworm
2011-01-23, 02:58 AM
There are three feats in the Eberron Campaign Setting called Exceptional Artisan, Extraordinary Artisan, and Legendary Artisan. These respectively reduce the time, gold, and experience you need for crafting by 25%. They all have a prereq of a single crafting feat.

So today, I was looking at the feat table, when I noticed the little superscript 2 beside these three feats, and looked to the bottom of the chart. It says "You can gain this feat multiple times. It's effects stack."

So take a Elven Artificer 19/Fighter 1 for a total of twelve feats. Dark Chaos Shuffle and take the three feats four times each, for a 100% reduction in time, money, and experience.

I'm sure this has been pointed out before, and I would enjoy a link, but I'm more curious if I'm missing anything that would prevent this from working.

Alleine
2011-01-23, 03:07 AM
The errata for ECS removes that superscript. The feats can only be taken once each.

TheOOB
2011-01-23, 05:33 AM
There are three feats in the Eberron Campaign Setting called Exceptional Artisan, Extraordinary Artisan, and Legendary Artisan. These respectively reduce the time, gold, and experience you need for crafting by 25%. They all have a prereq of a single crafting feat.

So today, I was looking at the feat table, when I noticed the little superscript 2 beside these three feats, and looked to the bottom of the chart. It says "You can gain this feat multiple times. It's effects stack."

So take a Elven Artificer 19/Fighter 1 for a total of twelve feats. Dark Chaos Shuffle and take the three feats four times each, for a 100% reduction in time, money, and experience.

I'm sure this has been pointed out before, and I would enjoy a link, but I'm more curious if I'm missing anything that would prevent this from working.

regardless of errata, text trumps table. information on the table are not rules text and have no bearing to the rules at all.

Stick to crafting your instantaneous quarterstaves.

Kuma Kode
2011-01-23, 05:36 AM
regardless of errata, text trumps table. information on the table are not rules text and have no bearing to the rules at all. Correct. If a feat can be selected more than once, it will explicitly say so in its text, like Weapon Focus or similar does. Tables are notorious for typos due to their condensed nature (Crit range of 19-29, anyone?)

FelixG
2011-01-23, 09:53 AM
Correct. If a feat can be selected more than once, it will explicitly say so in its text, like Weapon Focus or similar does. Tables are notorious for typos due to their condensed nature (Crit range of 19-29, anyone?)

Never seen that one

Amnestic
2011-01-23, 09:59 AM
Never seen that one

Ninja-To in Oriental Adventures (pg.72) has a crit range of 19-29/x2 in the table.

Mr.Bookworm
2011-01-23, 10:07 AM
The errata for ECS removes that superscript. The feats can only be taken once each.

Ah, alright. Completely forgot to check the errata.

regardless of errata, text trumps table. information on the table are not rules text and have no bearing to the rules at all.

Yes, I know that. I forgot

If a feat can be selected more than once, it will explicitly say so in its text, like Weapon Focus or similar does.
this part.

Elric VIII
2011-01-23, 10:17 AM
Correct. If a feat can be selected more than once, it will explicitly say so in its text, like Weapon Focus or similar does. Tables are notorious for typos due to their condensed nature (Crit range of 19-29, anyone?)

This was a ploy by WotC to boost their d30 sales. It's just like the d44 whip. I loved using that thing.

gbprime
2011-01-23, 11:21 AM
Your best bet is still a Dweomerkeeper with Embrace/Shun conga line and a thought bottle. Shuffle 1 feat around for free and spend 500xp to craft nearly anything.

Radar
2011-01-23, 11:41 AM
According to works of Doc Rock, there is a way of crafting 1st level spells scrolls for free. I'm fuzzy on details, but the Scrollificer using such shenanigans can be seen here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=155009).

Coidzor
2011-01-23, 11:54 AM
Well, there's also the cost reduction handbook (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?PHPSESSID=7ujkksau21jcj0gip626i8rgd3&topic=7274.0) which has some things to get pretty darn close to 0.

gbprime
2011-01-23, 11:55 AM
For the effort it takes to get to a 75% reduction, you're better off with a Thought Bottle, honestly. :smallamused:

Radar
2011-01-23, 03:24 PM
For the effort it takes to get to a 75% reduction, you're better off with a Thought Bottle, honestly. :smallamused:
I just realised how effective it can be to use two or more of theese - you effectively get crafting XP more or less proportional to (XP/500)^n, where n is the number of bottles used. The more XP you have, the more you gain.

Jack_Simth
2011-01-23, 03:41 PM

Theoretically, a Psion of sufficiently high level can Do the Wight Thing (or Suicide) (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=177889) for 0 XP crafting (or 0 XP reality Revisions, if 18th or higher).

Well, OK, technically, you lose any XP you have in excess of your current level when all is said and done, but the method doesn't require that you have any XP in excess of your current level, so....

gbprime
2011-01-23, 03:50 PM
Theoretically, a Psion of sufficiently high level can Do the Wight Thing (or Suicide) (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=177889) for 0 XP crafting (or 0 XP reality Revisions, if 18th or higher).

Any item crafting method that involves the ritual death of the caster REALLY needs to be re-thought, IMO. :smallamused:

Coidzor
2011-01-23, 03:54 PM
Any item crafting method that involves the ritual death of the caster REALLY needs to be re-thought, IMO. :smallamused:

Enslaved undead being used to productive ends on the other hand, well, that's just good SCIENCE! err... MAGIC!

Jack_Simth
2011-01-23, 04:02 PM
Any item crafting method that involves the ritual death of the caster REALLY needs to be re-thought, IMO. :smallamused:Well, it is cheesy cheese, and liable to be followed with some DM smiting, I'll grant you that. But *any* method of free crafting is the same in that regard. Do the Wight Thing (and the variant method, Suicide) are just really funny ways to go about it, that don't depend on much outside the character who's doing it (and the variant method, Suicide, doesn't require *any* interaction with the world at large).