PDA

View Full Version : Warlock Invocations

rye0006
2011-01-23, 06:46 AM
A warlock's Eldritch Blast is a spell-like ability with a somantic component. what are a warlock's invocations? are they all only somantic or do they have other components? I can't seem to find it said anywhere.

MeeposFire
2011-01-23, 06:52 AM
They are exactly like other spell like abilities except they have a somatic component. They do not need material components, focuses, or verbal components. One exception is "The Dead Walk" which needs a material component to make it permanent. If an invocation requires a component it will be listed in the description of the invocation in question.

rye0006
2011-01-23, 08:30 AM
So, for example, Summon Swarm doesn't say it needs a component, so it would just be somantic? Baleful Utterance doesn't explicitly say it has any component but the text states "you speak a single syllable of the dark speech", does that mean it has verbal and somantic components or just somantic? Just trying to work out if a warlock character could be mute and still have full availability of invocations.

Halae
2011-01-23, 08:36 AM
Yes, Baleful Utterance and Call Of The Wilds Appear to be the only two verbal based invocations. avoid those, and you have a character perfectly capable of never talking even once. Personally though, I like to take a warlock who is disdainful of those around him, and take a single level of mind bender. He doesn't just talk down to people he thinks down to them, and begrudges them every moment of it. telepathy is a wonderful thing

MeeposFire
2011-01-23, 08:37 AM
Summon warm does not need need a component outside of somatic (notice though even if a spell has no somatic components the invocation will since it says that all invocations have somatic components).

Now baleful utterance is a difficult question as was that sentence fluff or actual rules? You will have to ask the DM whether they believe that to be fluff or not.

FelixG
2011-01-23, 09:49 AM
Baleful utterance is just fluff about speaking the dark speech word as you dont take the horrible penalties or effects of speaking dark speech without proper training (BoVD)

Scarlet-Devil
2011-01-23, 12:48 PM
Baleful utterance is just fluff about speaking the dark speech word as you dont take the horrible penalties or effects of speaking dark speech without proper training (BoVD)

Actually, Baleful Utterance got errata that gave it a verbal component, others may have as well. Call of the Beast doesn't even need a verbal component because it's one of those 24 hour buffs; you just cast it and then you can speak to animals all day, just as you would speak to a human.

Edit: Actually I might be wrong about it officially getting a verbal component... it's pretty much a DM's call.

Re'ozul
2011-01-23, 04:52 PM
I always interpreted baleful utterance as such that the one syllable you speak replaces shatter's ringing sound. You speak one syllable with mighty reverb (aka God Speech) and stuff breaks.

That could be even better, the only time you do speak, things explode.

Lateral
2011-01-23, 04:55 PM
Somatic, not somantic.

*shuffles off*

Yuki Akuma
2011-01-23, 08:08 PM
Somatic, not somantic.

*shuffles off*

Semantics.

Lateral
2011-01-23, 08:28 PM
Yes, I know that 'semantics' is a word, but it's not the right word. 'Somatic' is the correct word, but he keeps saying 'somantic'. Which isn't even a word. And my grammar nazi is going nuts.

Yuki Akuma
2011-01-23, 09:14 PM
Yes, I know that 'semantics' is a word, but it's not the right word. 'Somatic' is the correct word, but he keeps saying 'somantic'. Which isn't even a word. And my grammar nazi is going nuts.

(Psst: it was a joke.)

RandomNPC
2011-01-23, 09:48 PM
That could be even better, the only time you do speak, things explode.

Isn't that a Blackbolt (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blackbolt) thing?